Jackets and Shoes for Alaska

mj5739

Ok, I've tried starting a picture album, can someone tell me why the picture is so small? It's my daughter and me up on Godwin Glacier. Now notice if you can...NO jackets, No boots, No gloves, no hats etc but I did have ear pops during the flight...;) lmao

http://community.webshots.com/user/Glacierlady

Now I'll really know who is from CC with the ear pops...If you wear purple I'll stop and take your pic...heehee

Oh could you imagine this bunch on the same boat??:eek: What fun we would have....

I'm not sure about purple pops...they have a color called Java Orchid not sure what that would be, but they have grey which I think would look fabulous with your nifty 3 in 1 jacket!

Glacierlady as hard as I tried to squint these middle age eyes I could only see a small speck and white. If I would keep up with the glasses...that I swear I don't need...I could probably see you. I'll be ready for my close-up photo when we arrive...I'm going to order one more pair of those Pops in a color not to be missed! My family will be recognizable as they will be the ones running like heck to distance themselves from ME.

Cruisemore is there nothing worse than hathead?? My hair doesn't look that great when I fix it but having it stuck flat to the head makes me look like Charlie Brown...all cheeks!

Ardithl welcome back...where in the Caribbean did you travel. Thanks for the wonderful tips on Alaska. Maybe I will take 1 pair of short...thinking positive here.

Tangerinebunny...you are going to laugh but at Disney years ago I bought a beannie cap with mouse ears on top...it was cold that January and I didn't care how silly I looked ...my ears were warm.

Actually I was wearing my daughter's sunglasses cause I forgot mine, that's why she is squinting...sunglasses are a very important thing here year around, even more so when you have the glare off the snow.

It wasn't cold at all, in fact it was an awesome relief because it was one of those hot days back down in town. :)

Thank you for the pic Glacier Lady!! I can't believe what your wearing, or rather what your not wearing.

As for Disney wear, I've got hats, mittens, and pochos for the whole family:eek: . Several years ago we were at Disney in January, and the temps dropped. Being from Miami, I hadn't brought (nor did I own-gloves or hats) We bought a bunch at one of those souvenier shops nearby.

When we arrive in Alaska, people are going to think we arrived at the wrong vacation destination:eek: . Maybe I should bring the Disney autograph books to really look confused. :p

I also did find ponchos in the dollar store today- they were two for a dollar. Can't beat that!!

I really recommend you shop at a good camping/outfitter type store...a goretex windbreaker with hood will see you through ...you will want to buy souvenir sweatshirts and tee shirts, so dont bring them, you can also find the microfiber type slacks/pants that are warm when cool and vice versa and very light and packable...eddie bauer, llbean, sierra trading post, cabelas, etc all have good ideas. For evening wear, whatever the season is, is. Bathing suit for the hot tubs and pools on the ship..p.j's that can double as a layer if necessary. Dont take too much!!...Lots to buy in all ports...throw in a pair of lightweight fleece gloves just in case. I have often been colder on the ship than in port so always have a cardigan of some sort!!

UNA is a wonderful college.

Yes, this is why we are stressing about winter wear. We are all from the south. I don't have very much warm stuff. I have the feeling we will be the ones that stick out. Since we aren't used to the cold temperatures we will be all bundled up!!!

What is a panty line (besides the obvious)? I haven't heard that expression before. Is it a regional thing?

LL Bean has the "Storm Chaser" jacket seems to be the same thing as the Lands End for about $20 less. I bought one that I am bringing to Alaska. I've been wearing the layers separately since it hasn't gotten very cold this year. Since it's April already, I think Houston is going to skip winter entirely.

I don't have a Micky poncho so can I wear my "Jack Daniels" one that I got at the Houston Rodeo? I don't want to standout too much. It doesn't have those cool mouse ears that stick up from the hood.

Apologies in advance to the native Alaskans. I'm another Southerner (TEXAN!) that will be invading the North land this summer. Fortunately for me, my aunt lives in AK just outside Anchorage so I can ask her some of the fashion questions. Apparently mukluks aren't necessary for formal night.

Another Beautiful day in the South. The pollen is killing me though. I spend most of my day outside so I am really struggling with this yellow haze. I have both Claritin and Allegra and not sure which will work best...I never take drugs but I need relief!

I have to admit I googled Mukluks...I missed Eskimo Day in World history! My my a pair of these white puppies

http://search.nordstrom.com/SearchResults.asp?KeyWord=mukluks&cm_ven=google&cm_cat=shoes&cm_pla=generic&cm_ite=mukluks

A big full length white down parka, set of mouse ears and some purple pops http://www.earpops.com and I am one Alaskan fashion statement!

I have to admit I learn something new everyday! I actually have a pair of lace front fur lined boots and I take them skiing. I love they way the keep my tootsies warm. I would not dare bring them to Alaska in June. I am trying to toughen up...I went without a sweater today...it is breezy but 70. I felt like I was living on the edge!

We've got a balmy 55 degrees today in NW Wisconsin. We're hoping the ice is off the lake before the end of the week, but this time of year makes for great eagle (both golden and bald) watching as they are teaching their young how to fish. We plan to bring a 3-season jacket & then layer as needed. I had a hard time convincing my husband that he wouldn't need his "heavy" jacket. He keeps forgetting it will be June 1st.;)

I sat next to a lady on Saturday who went to Alaska (Celebrity) in August 2005; she had a very good tip - wear panty lines with your slacks that you wear over and over.

Can anyone explain what the heck this means?????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I will not be buying a pair of those mukluks. I am only bring two pair of casual shoes, one is a pair of North Face Gortex shoes & my regular tennis shoes.

I think I am stressing about what to take because I am from a warmer climate. It is easy to pack for a carribbean cruise.....shorts, T's & bathing suits. This is a tad bit more difficult.

I hate to rush April away, but I am ready for my cruise.

Archived