Cozumel, July 06

SraLiz

My husband and I are making our first visit to Cozumel in July on the NOS. At first we were looking into a deep sea fishing trip but my DH decided that the day in Cozumel should be my day. I am a Spanish teacher in Ohio and I can't wait to practice my Spanish!

I have read the posts about Paradise Beach and I am looking forward to a visit there. How much time does one recommend for beach time, jet ski rental? maybe 4 hours? I want to be able to visit the town too.

My questions are: Where is the best place to rent a car/jeep? Is it safe to drive around and stop to chat at local businesses? Best place to eat authentic food? Where can I get directions to PB?

I have also read that school supplies are needed. I would love to gather items. I am not sure how much I can carry there, would it be possible to mail items? This is a project my National Spanish Honor Society students could organize.

Thanks, feel free to email me with any Cozumel info!

Liz

Hola SraLiz!

You will be greeted with warm smiles for practicing your spanish! My spanish is weak but my attempts to use it and learn new vocabulary were appreciated and encouraged.

There are many car rental agencies. I have used www.cozumelinsider.com to rent from Avis and LessPay. Cars and service were great! Cozumel is easy to drive around, San Miguel is a little trickier.

Get a great map from www.cancunmap.com ...worth the $8!

School supplies are always needed and can be dropped off at the minigolf in town and at Paradise Beach. Chrysalis is the organization that handles this. the web site is http://www.geocities.com/smallsal/chrysalis/.

I have brought down backpacks, gently used clothing, notebooks etc in a soft sided duffle that can be folded when empty...:rolleyes: or filled with the items I bought!

Great places to eat are La Choza, Casa Denis, Sonora's all within a few blocks or near the plaza..Parking is very hard to find in town so you may need to walk a little.

You'll find lots of info at the cozumel insider webpage...Hope this helps!

Funny story. The cabbies speak fairly decent English and I speak very basic Spanish. The cabby was having trouble with a few words so I added a little Spanish till we figured it out.

My husband ask me to ask him if his house was ok after the hurricane so I said "is your house ok?", my daughter thought that was the funniest thing she had ever heard.

Archived