LBB

Back from Radiance 4/2-4/9

Just got back....I'd be happy to answer any questions. Had a terrific time. I'll probably write a long review tonight, but just a few highlights:

Cozumel pier is now open, so we got to dock. Very nice.

Food was not the best....loved breakfast, breads, even liked the pizza.

Ship looked great, no problems.

Chair hogs definitely out, but you could eventually find a chair.

Drunk teenagers, yes. But it wasn't the end of the world.

Not a late-night crowd. Everything was pretty much closed by 2 a.m.

Didn't go to any shows.

Brought alcohol on board, no problem.

More later.....ask away!

Hi LBB, we are going on the Radiance 4/23 (Panama Canal).

How was the piano bar entertainer in the Schooners lounge?

How was the cruise director? Were you able to bring alcohol in your carry-on bags. Wine? Thanks so much for any info. John F

Hi. We actually didn't spend time in the Schooner Lounge, so I'm not sure about the music. The people that played in the centrum seemed to be very good.

Keiron was the cruise director. He was alright, but I actually didn't see much of him, except a few things by the pool. I think he was actually better than some of the overbearing cruise directors I've seen on other ships.

We brought alcohol in our suitcase, no problem. Also had wine sent to the room before the trip and the room steward kept it cold in a bucket into we were finished.

Also...forgot something before. There was a small fire the first day before left on deck 2 I think. We were delayed a couple of hours. Also, we rescued a Cuban on an inner tube on the last day at seas. We had to stop the ship and turn around to pick him. So we had Bravo and Oscar within one week. Pretty exciting.

Did the ship change time to match the islands or did you stay on Eastern Daylight Time the whole trip? I'm doing this same ship next week and I've got non-ship excursions lined up that I need to confirm times with. I guess the bottom line question for me is were the times listed in your itinerary local time or ship time (and were those two ever different).

The ship time stayed the same. When we were in Grand Cayman, it was an hour earlier there. I had to match up my privately booked tour. They told us to meet them at 8:30, but it was actually 9:30 ship time.

On the other, the ship decided to switch times the night before we got to Cozumel. So the time was the same when we got there..I guess. Then we switched back at noon the following day during a sea day. I'm not sure why that was.

Sorry if that's confusing. I guess the answer depends on where you are.

until we will be on her!!! YEA!!!

what was not the best about the food? specific dishes/dining room????

any other hints???

so glad to hear about cozumel!!!

Thanks!

We ate at both Chops and Portofino's. I preferred Chops, even though I'm not really a steak eater. They were both definitely better than the dining room food. It was nice to have a change and have a table for two for a couple of nights.

The food wasn't terrible...just not the best. And food doesn't make or break a cruise for me, so it wasn't a big deal. I would stay away from the pasta dishes in the main dining room (tortelini and a pasta with salmon). I really enjoyed the appetizers. Soups are good, shrimp cocktail, crabcakes, salads, vidalia onion tart (my favorite). I enjoyed the lobster, but it wasn't the best I've had. I can't complain. Some of the food in windjammer for lunch looked absolutely disgusting. The sandwiches were good. Room service was also good. I love breakfast, although I was only awake for it a few times. I'm sure anyone could find stuff that they like.

We were on Radiance three months before you, and I am (pleasantly) shocked that you were able to dock in Cozumel. We tendered in--no problem, but then DW's tender back, which was supposed to have been an hour before last tender, was so rough and difficult it turned into the last tender as they were over an hour getting lined up to the ship. So docking obviously a big improvement.

The ship is beautiful, glad you enjoyed, too.

Hi,

I was also on the exciting 4/2 sailing. The rescue was really something.

Just so you don't get your hopes up... only one ship can currently dock in Cozumel. They are working on the International pier, but only one side is available for docking. All the other ships, including the Rhapsody tendered. Interestingly, the ship has to deliberately list to one side with the fixed pier because the repairs made it the wrong height. We learned this in the engineers' question answer session as one of the passengers had noticed the list while in port.

The piano man in Schooner lounge was much better than the woman who also played. Her hours, however, were not the prime hours but more like 5:30 -6:30 pm. He was okay, not great, but quite personable.

I have to agree that the regular dining room food was just okay, however, I thought the lunch buffet was very good. You can also go upstairs to the SeaView Cafe for a fresh lunch of burgers, reuben sandwich, etc on sea days. It was closed on some port days for lunch. That was a great alternative.

I also agree with Chops. We had a very nice dinner there. The service was outstanding and the filet very nice. The ceasar salad there is huge.

Did the ship change time to match the islands or did you stay on Eastern Daylight Time the whole trip? I'm doing this same ship next week and I've got non-ship excursions lined up that I need to confirm times with. I guess the bottom line question for me is were the times listed in your itinerary local time or ship time (and were those two ever different).

On the 4/2 West. Caribb. sailing, the time changes were: Fri. 2:00am - clocks moved BACK one hour. On Saturday at 12:00 NOON - clocks moved FORWARD one hour.

The ship time stayed the same. When we were in Grand Cayman, it was an hour earlier there. I had to match up my privately booked tour. They told us to meet them at 8:30, but it was actually 9:30 ship time.

On the other, the ship decided to switch times the night before we got to Cozumel. So the time was the same when we got there..I guess. Then we switched back at noon the following day during a sea day. I'm not sure why that was.

Sorry if that's confusing. I guess the answer depends on where you are.

OK, now I'm really confused. The island I'm most concerned about is Cozumel. My itinerary (and I assume yours as well) says we arrive in Cozumel at 10:00AM. When you arrived in Cozumel, what was the local time?

How was the cruise director? Were you able to bring alcohol in your carry-on bags. Wine? Thanks so much for any info. John F

John...would love to have you join us! LuAnn

John, there were two singers in the Schooner lounge-we didn't spend much time there though. Some preferred the male over the female singer. An act to catch a few times during your sailing is "Santino and Blackjax"...back with RCI after a year away at another line. Veteran RCI cruisers will remember this act-great voice and band.

Keiron Buffery (ex NCL) is the cruise director, I thought he was great.

The captain is Hernan Zini, a young guy-39 and I thought a great master of the Ship. The ladies will like him :D. The whole staff and crew was great on our sailing.

Yes, we smuggled 2 bottles of booze onboard in 1 litre water bottles in our checked luggage...no problems :)

Have a great cruise, you picked a fine ship.