Freedom of the Sea's on the Today Show

Fuzzzy

April 10, 2006 18:09:29 (ET)

-- Millions of NBC "TODAY" show fans are in for quite a treat when the morning show sets sail onboard Royal Caribbean International's newest ship, Freedom of the Seas. The top-rated three-hour show will bring Freedom in to New York Harbor on May 12, 2006 where she will be christened by foster mother to hundreds, Louise Calder. Mrs. Calder was selected by "TODAY" viewers to be the Godmother of the world's largest ship. Adding to the excitement, "TODAY" announced on Friday that legendary singer and songwriter Barry Manilow, currently topping the charts around the world with his recent album, will kick off the show's popular Summer Concert Series that morning.

"We are thrilled to introduce Freedom of the Seas to 'TODAY' show viewers," said Adam Goldstein, president for Royal Caribbean International. "It is equally exciting to host world renowned superstar and icon, Barry Manilow onboard for a live performance."

Viewers tuning in to "TODAY" on May 12 will marvel at Freedom's cruise industry firsts including FlowRider, the first surfing simulator at sea; an interactive water park; two cantilevered whirlpools that extend 12 feet out from the sides of the ship; a family suite that sleeps up to 14 people; and a full-size boxing ring.

At 160,000 GRT and holding 3,634 guests double-occupancy, Freedom of the Seas will be the largest cruise ship in the world when she debuts in May 2006. The first in Royal Caribbean's new Freedom class, she will sail seven-night Western Caribbean itineraries from Miami calling in Cozumel, Mexico; George Town, Grand Cayman; Montego Bay, Jamaica; and Royal Caribbean's private destination, Labadee, Hispaniola. For more information or to make reservations, go to http://www.royalcaribbean.com or call (800) 327-6700.

SOURCE Royal Caribbean International

Thanks! I just wrote that one down on the calendar. I am looking forward to seeing her in all of her glory. I am not ready to book her until she gets broken in a little, but I do feel the little green monster every time I hear something new about her and her maiden voyages.

do you think they'll broadcast from Cape Liberty? Not the most romantic backdrop for the ship...and not easy for fans to get to either. Hoping they'll pull her up to the Manhattan Passenger Terminal...since it's right next to my apartment. Seems easier for Matt and Katie to get to also.

thinking of calling in "sick" so I can ride down and take a look at her from across the river. I'll still be on the outside looking in, but it will be great to see :D If I do I will be sure to bring the camera.

Damn...I'll be in Mexico on my AI Vacation at the Iberostar. I sure hate to miss this...maybe I should switch weeks! JUST KIDDING!!! This is soooo the reason that they make DVRs! A single VHS tape would never hold a 3 hour today show and all my other soap operas and random shows I can't live with out!

I was wondering who is Louise Calder. Is she a cousin of the Queen. Or, perhaps a literary author that I was unfamiliar with. Well, I went a googling and here is what I found.

"Putting a new twist on a long-standing maritime tradition, the cruise line sought an extraordinary "everyday" person to serve as the Godmother, as opposed to the customary choices of celebrities or dignitaries. Over the last 27 years, Calder has been a foster care provider for hundreds of special needs children, as well as an adoption advocate in the Portland area. Calder's long-time dedication to caring for such an under-served community makes her an ideal choice. "Louise has demonstrated exceptional courage, determination, inspiration and dedication, embodying the woman we were looking for when we came up with the idea for this contest," said Adam Goldstein, president for Royal Caribbean International. "We are humbled and excited in equal measure to be able to bring recognition to someone who has selflessly given so much to so many."

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering who is Louise Calder. Is she a cousin of the Queen. Or, perhaps a literary author that I was unfamiliar with. Well, I went a googling and here is what I found.

"Putting a new twist on a long-standing maritime tradition, the cruise line sought an extraordinary "everyday" person to serve as the Godmother, as opposed to the customary choices of celebrities or dignitaries. Over the last 27 years, Calder has been a foster care provider for hundreds of special needs children, as well as an adoption advocate in the Portland area. Calder's long-time dedication to caring for such an under-served community makes her an ideal choice. "Louise has demonstrated exceptional courage, determination, inspiration and dedication, embodying the woman we were looking for when we came up with the idea for this contest," said Adam Goldstein, president for Royal Caribbean International. "We are humbled and excited in equal measure to be able to bring recognition to someone who has selflessly given so much to so many."

And? This is on their website, as well as it has been on cruise critic since they started the contest months ago. It was a contest on the Today Show and the publilc got to vote for the Godmother of Freedom. Louise is the winner. Check out www.freedomoftheseas.com, rccl.com, or msnbc.com/today for more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the quick answer.......I'm not sure either.......I usually leave for work by 7:40 a.m. and I always have Good Morning America on at that time.......

Guess I'll check our newspaper!

Do you know if the H20 zone is in a kid's area? ......or is that in the main pool area?

Thanks again for your quick response. I hope hubby remembers how to tape with the VCR............ We never taped with our DVD player......not even sure I'd know how to......might have to go looking for the book that came with it.........LOL

Thanks again,

Beachbuddy

Archived