I was on the Cayman Capsized Boat

darin

I AM SO GLAD THAT YOU THINK IT IS FUNNY THAT WE WERE PUT IN AN UNSAFE SITUATION BY COSTA. I HOPE I MADE YOUR DAY. FALLING APART WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE APPROPIATE. THE SPRINGS CREAKED AND POPPED AND THE BUS PITCHED FROM SIDE TO SIDE WHEN HE MADE A TURN. I SAW A LADY IN A WHEELCHAIR THAT INJURED HER LEG RATHER SEVERLY IN THE INCIDENT. I BET YOU WOULD HAVE BUSTED A GUT LAUGHING AT THAT. I JUST HOPE THAT YOU HAVE AS PLEASANT AN EXPERIENCE ON YOUR NEXT CRUISE AS ME AND MY FAMILY. WE WERE NOT THE ONLY ONES. THE BATTLE CRY OF OVER HALF THE SHIP WAS "JUST LET ME OFF AND I WILL NEVER GET ON ANOTHER" WHICH AS A PERSON THAT EJOYS CRUISES, FIND SAD. THE DINING ROOM STAFF WOULD ARGUE WITH YOU AND WAS JUST PLAIN RUDE. THE SHOWS WERE OK, BUT EVERYTHING SHUT DOWN BY 9:00 pm. FOOD WAS HORRIBLE. IT WAS SERVED COLD TO THE TABLE. DON'T TELL ME TO COMPLAIN (SEE COMMENT ABOUT WAITING STAFF). THEY SHUT DOWN KIDS POOL LAST DAY AT SEA AND THEN COMPLAINED ABOUT KIDS GETTING IN THE HOT TUBS. I SAW A SECURITY OFFICER MAN HANDLE A YOUNG CHILD OF ABOUT 8 YEARS OLD. HIS FATHER WAS ABOUT TO GET PHYSICAL, LUCKILY SOMEONE HELD HIM BACK. THE SHIP IS CLEAN AND BEAUTIFUL, BUT THE STAFF IS NOT TRAINED.

KY Girl.......its a shame you didnt have a good time....but obviously you are angry and are saying just everything negative. Have you ever cruised before?

The food on Magica was very good as was the service...I would suspect from your saying the crew would argue with you that you are very argumentative. Sounds like to me that your best vacation is probably spent at home.

I Am Angry That My Family Was Put In A Dangerous Situation. Yes I Have Cruised Before. Twice On Carnival. Enjoyed Both. No I Am Not Argumentative. I Was Not The One That They Were Being Hateful With. It Was Our Table Mates (canadian Doctor And His Family). He Tried To Get My Sons Meal Changed To What He Had Really Ordered, Because We Wouldn't Say Anything. You Were Not On This Cruise. The Ship Is Going Back To Europe And The Crew Were Not Happy. That Was What Our Cabin Steward, Waiter, And Assistant Waiter Said. You Do Not Know Me Well Enough To Make A Judgement About What I Would Enjoy On My Vacation. I Have My Opinion And I Have My Right To My Opinion. Jamaica Was Great, (not A Costa Excursion). Cozumel Was Also Fun (not A Costa Excursion), Trying So Hard To Get Back On Their Feet It Would Make You Weep, But Still A Smile On Their Faces. Our Cab Driver Said That Most Of The Tourists That Come Off Costa Say The Same Thing "nice Ship, Lousy Service". I Do Not Blaim The Crew Themselves, They Are Not Properly Trained.

I AM SO GLAD THAT YOU THINK IT IS FUNNY

Why don't you just post for me from now on since you ASSume that you know what I am thinking.

I am sorry you had a bad cruise, while I on the other hand can look at bad situations and make life stories out of them. Please remember to NOT book with Costa next time you want to cruise.

What a shame that you had a bad experience....no I dont know you but I appreciate the fact you are angry and no one should be put in the face of danger. However I disagree strongly with you that the crew was not trained....and that is MY opinion and the opinion of hundreds and probably thousands.

My experience on the same cruise was of a highly trained staff that were eager to please and extremely friendly. All of my requests were handled promptly and excitedly. I was surprised. I said to my wife, "here is my list and we'll be happy if we get half of what we want." The whole list was delivered within a couple hours. And that was consistent the whole cruise. The staff were 98% friendly. The only staff I found out of sorts were the photographers and they have a lousy job anyway. 90% of their work gets shreded at the end of the cruise.

snip

Darin and others on the excursion-

My heartfelt prayers that everyone recovers from the trauma of this. We were on a Capt Marvin's tour that we booked because we were so afraid of this exact scenario. We saw this happen and urged our boat to go and help, but they didn't want to put us in danger by overloading our boat.

I'm grateful we have a very experienced crew, Capt Marvin drove us himself and everyone was very helpful - since my DS (4) and my DH don't swim, the best of care was taken to get them taken care of safely.

I hate to say that I will never go with ship excursions after seeing with my own eyes the tragedy that can happen. :(

I can understand how you would not feel comfortable about going on an excursion, with your husband and son unable to swim. Fortunately everyone in my family is able to swim.

We have not discussed it much, but we all love the water. I am sure we will try again - the odds would definitely be in our favor of this not ever happening to us again . One thing though, we will never be on a boat without a lifejacket that properly functions, worn at all times.

We were on the same cruise. Book our excursion through Costa. AnnaMarie was our Costa tour guide. I will agree she is less than helpful. We arrived at the Stingray City sandbar about 2 min. before it capsized. Our excursion boat was owned by the same company as the one who capsized. The first thing we did onboard was sign a liability form. I overheard our captain tell people that the captain of the capsized boat was a young captain, that he had told his crew before that the guy would end up sinking a boat the way he drove it. Our excusion seemed very overloaded. We didn't pickup any victims, but I don't think we could have safely. Just thank God it was shallow water. Our tour bus driver, who had talked to police ect. at the pier seemed to think it was to captain's fault that the boat capsized. We actually had a wonderful cruise with Costa. Our waitstaff was A+. I applaud the staff for removing the child from the hot tub. If the parents had been doing THEIR job, the child would not have been in there anyway, it's against the rules.

I was on another boat and saw this soon after it happened. It appeared that the response from medical teams or "sea police" to this mishap was quite lacking. Finally, after everyone appeared to be rescued (by strangers) the "authorities" showed up. Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers. I am happy to hear that everyone ended up okay in the end, however I was appalled that the CREW did not attempt to rescue the passengers. That is unheard of.

Hope those involved don't mind that I posted photos. If so, let me know and I will remove them.

Photos can be seen at http://www.grand-cayman.blogspot.com.

What an awful experience. Thank God everyone is safe. I usually cruise on HAL and because I travel solo, I always book my excursions through the ship because I always thought it was safer and the cruise line would take some responsibility if something bad happened. After all, they make a lot of money from excursions. Your situation has certainly given me food for thought. I think I will be asking a lot more questions before I book any ship excursions on my next cruise. If HAL treated me the way Costa treated you, that would be the last time I cruised with them. I think Costa treated you very badly and I don't think they appreciate what a serious situation this was. It seems some cruise lines are quite happy to take your money, but when things go bad, they are not always there to help.

Be fore we bash the rescue people from the island remember it was a thirty minute ride on out boat to get there. I know the rescue boat does go faster but not that much. I was there on another boat also. One of our crew swan over to help. It did not take the long to get there considering the distance. I know if you were in the water it seemed like an hour.

Thank the lord there were no major injuries and everyone was safe.

What an awful experience. If HAL treated me the way Costa treated you, that would be the last time I cruised with them. I think Costa treated you very badly and I don't think they appreciate what a serious situation this was. It seems some cruise lines are quite happy to take your money, but when things go bad, they are not always there to help.

hOW COSTA TRETED THEM?WE DONT KNOW OF ANY PERKS,OR COMPENSATION YET.IT COULS HAPPEND ON ANY LINE ,BECAUSE ALL OF THEM USE SAME PRIVIDERS ON ISLANDS

I don't know about Costa, but Royal Caribbean has its logo printed on the back of the excursion tickets that it sells, and we've heard Celebrity (commenting about their passengers that were killed on an independent tour) touting how it vets the tour operators that it uses. So I think either of them would be hardpressed to deny any liability at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd update anyone who might be interested...I spoke with an investigator today who informed me that this case is still being investigated. However, I was told that this boat had been "modified", meaning the hull of the boat had been altered in some way which may have caused the accident. I will keep anyone interested posted.

• 5 months later...

:) Wow how time flys.....

It has been some time since I have visited this board. I was the person who posted the " I Was On The Capsized Cayman Boat". Our family and friends are going on the Costa Magica in December for another cruise. We have learned to trust our instincts. We will never be on a boat without our life jackets, tenders included. I recomend that you do the same for yourself and families. Just a note, NEVER use KIRK SEA TOURS in Grand Cayman.

Best Wishes to All,

Darin

Darin, I was on the Med at the same time as you. We are going back on Costa on Magica on the November 26th cruise. Did you get any compensation at all? Are you legally allowed to say what you did or did not get? Let us know. Very interested in your case.

Snip

• 1 month later...

I too was on the Sunrunner. Criminal charges have now been filed against the captain and the manager of the company. I beleive that the manager was charged because it was known before the boat left dock that it could not pump water off.

Everyone had bumps, bruises or cuts. Unfortunately for me, I was on the side of the boat that flipped up. I climbed on top to locate my wife and our friend. I then climbed down and helped load 2 people onto rafts used to hold scuba tanks. I then began collecting peoples belongings and stowing them on the blue mesh "kirk sea tours" sign. In the process of doing all of this I was continuously slipping on the diesel fuel and oil slick. I basically shredded the remaining cartilage in my right knee. I had arthroscopy a couple of months later. I will need a knee replacement and I'm only 42. I knew I would eventually need replacement because of osteoarthritis, but this accident probably sped up my timeframe by at least 5 years. I will be suing them.

here is a news pic of me, my wife and our friend Michelle.

http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=1012468

Archived