Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RN7997

Just back from AOS 4/2-4/9 S Carribean Aruba Route!!!

I got home late Sunday night and already reality sets in, I'm home. Kids back to school, therapy, and baseball and T ball have already begun!! I want to return to Paradise ASAP!! This real life stuff is too much work.

Anyway, I will post a review soon. This cruise was incredible though. I had an amazing week!!!! AOS is beautiful!!!

Please feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

I'll write again soon.

We're going the end of May, same itinerary--looking forward to your review.

Sounds like it's time for you to book another cruise to look forward to!! Glad you had a good time!

Glad to hear you loved it! We're booked on the same ship/route leaving Nov. 5th. I do have some questions for you (since you offered ;) )

How old are your kids? We are travelling with our twin girls, who will be 8 at the time. Did they use the kids club at all?

How was the food? Did the kids have to order off the kid menu. There are only so many chicken fingers they will eat in one week.

You went at a busy time. Did you have trouble finding a spot by the pool?

What tours/excursions did you do at the different ports? Anything you would recommend.

This will be our first cruise. I'm looking forward to your review!

Thanks. And welcome back to reality :D .

Wasn't it wonderful? I also hate being back. I am so anxious to post my review, but won't allow myself to do that until I finish up our taxes. :)

I am going on this cruise on May 7th same iteneray. I will be on my honeymoon. I look forward to your review. Any tips you could give to a first time cruiser would be great.

Maywed,

Congrats on your wedding. You will have a wonderful honeymoon. Just keep checking these boards this week, and you'll see some reviews coming up. I plan on putting alot of details about the excursions and the ports. Most people already know what wonderful ships RCI has, so I'm going to share more tips that people will benefit from.

YAY!!!!! Just what I've been waiting for. I'd love to hear all about the who, what, when, where, and why of any beaches you went to. Thanks in advance.

Part 1

Friday March 31st (preflight)

We are from Lancaster county PA and we flew out of Philadelphia to San Juan, so instead of paying extra for a hotel or getting up too early we opted to stay at my dad’s house in New Jersey and he dropped us off to the airport Saturday morning, where we met the rest of our group. My DH, 2 DS’s and myself flew to San Juan with another couple and then met the rest of our group in San Juan.

Saturday April 1st (flight and pre cruise hotel)

There was a total of 27 of us. The 6 of us flew with AA direct to San Juan and we there by 1155am. Things we going just as planned and we were so excited to have the day to do whatever since our ship wasn’t due to sail till 1000pm the next night. We each rented a car from Charlie Car Rental and found out we had to be shuttled to pick up the car. This was a bit of a pain with 2 kids and lots of luggage.

We got through that and it was off to our hotel, Hotel El Portal in the Condado area. I had been taking advice from this board in preparation for this trip and should’ve known better not to stay there when no one on this board knew of it, but the other half of the group had already booked there so I figured I’d stay with the group. It was a dump!!! I would not suggest this hotel to anyone!! It was dirty and in a horrible area. The hotel didn’t even have a parking lot!!! We drove around for about 2 hours before we could even find it. Here we didn’t notice it because it sits above a sushi restaurant that is well marked with neon signs, but the hotel sign is tiny. We lucked out and street parked right out front. That is the parking lot. Big enough for about 5 cars. They do have valaei parking that is for the restaurant but its closed from 1130 at night till 1 the next day and we wanted to be able to check out. I want you to understand that I am not a picky person. I did not expect much for a pre-cruise hotel stay, but clean is a must!!!

We decided to walk somewhere to eat since we were starving and did not wan tot move the cars, plus by now it was 430 or so, so the day was shot. We found nothing nice nearby. Finally came across a restaurant (sorry I forget the name) and each got a burger for 10.00 with fries. While there it started to rain. We stayed and chatted for awhile expecting it to stop, but it didn’t. The roads started to flood and next thing I know with our sneakers and all we are running through hip deep water with the kids trying to get back to the hotel. It was funny for a little while till I realized there was going to be no where to dry our clothes and shoes before we got onboard. (Not to mention we had and interior room)

We showered and by 8 or so the rain died down. We walked around for a little while up to the main street in that area got ice cream and went back to bed.

April 2nd (Embarkment)

We are all so excited to get to the port!!! We had a continental breakfast on the hotel roof. I refused to eat anything they offered.

We went to return the rental. I was told that they had a drop off center near the port and then they shuttle you to the port. No big deal we return the car, but the shuttle was a minivan that we had to wait 20 minutes in the parking lot for. So again luggage, kids and another couple all piled in. We were in line waiting by 1100am. We were on the ship by 100. This ship is beautiful!!! We were in awl!!! I had only cruised the Majesty so the size was overwhelming!!!! We couldn’t get into our room yet so we went to the Windjammer to eat and walked around the ship a bit. We were in our room by 200. No luggage yet so we dropped our carry on and went up to the pool.

First the room. We were on deck 8 in a cat L interior stateroom. #8367. The room was small but not a problem. The bed was put together and the pullman beds pull down above the bed. They were never in the way. They only pull them down to sleep at night and with one hand you can push them against the wall to have more head room during the day till your room is made up. I was surprised at how the rooms are small but effecient. The desk area had 4 drawers on each side. The mirror above it has medicine cabinet style shelves in it on both sides. Over the TV there were 2 drawers and a safe. The closet was a decent size. It had 4 or 5 shelves and then a rack. Plenty of room for shoes in the bottom too. Under the bed was enough room for my 6 pieces of luggage. I did get rid of the glass table in the room to have more space. The bathroom was small but the shower was nice this time. (No clinging cutain) I had a door!!!!!! Again, the bathroom was effecient too. The mirror had a medicine cabinet style shelve on one side. On the other side was 2 glass cups in in mounted silver brackets. One of these came in handy for tooth brushes. To be honest I bought an over the door shoe sorter, a suction cup toothbrush holder, a hanging shelf bag for the closet and used none of it. You really don’t need all that. And I don’t pack light. What I did brig was a bunch of extra plastic hangers that I left behind. I tried to hang as much as possible and that worked well.

For those of you with kids here are a few things to know. My sons are 6 and 8 years old/

The kids area is in the back of the ship on deck 12, not near the regular pool, which is deck 11.

The kids area has a waterslide into a collection of water. A small sliding board into a small, shallow, round pool and then an even smaller round pool with no slide. This area is not for use with the Adventure Ocean club. You must be with your kids here. There are only certain hours for it. Boarding and departing day its closed. Sea days its open 11-3 and port days its open 3-5. The rest of the time its netted off. With those hours we only got to use it once.

As far as the regular pools. There are 2. The pools are set up with a shallow flat surface (maybe 2-3 inches) covered in water and then it is in the pool you are. There is no shallow end per say. This was hard with the kids because they wanted to swim. My 8 year old is ok as long as he is supervised, but my 6 year old can not swim at all. Luckily we brought arm floats, but they were in my checked luggage that I hadn’t got yet. This made the day a little hard. He has no fear and kept trying to get away. They were also very interested in the hot tubs. I did let them go in them, but with me right there so they wouldn’t splash anyone. They had some activities going on by the pool so I got up for the electric slide and had some fun.

Later we showered and explored some more and then went for dinner. We chose late seating. I know it sounds crazy with kids and all, but my thinking was we wouldn’t have to rush back from the islands and worry about rushing for dinner. I figured the kids could nap before dinner. They did some nights, but still fell asleep for dinner. IMO I think with or with out the kids I’ll choose early next time. Even though you have till 430 or 5 on some of the islands I am usually backby 330 or 4 so I’m on the ship so it would still be plenty of time to get ready. Also, if you pick late seating for dinner you have to go to the show BEFORE dinner. I did not like that at all and missed many of them because of that. The kids club was closed on boarding day for day and night.

Lucky978

Many of your questions may be in my review, but I'll answer here too.

My sons are 6 and 8. They didn't use the club during the day at all because they went to every port with us. But they did go 3 times at night. They are open till 1 am.

Just an FYI on sea days they close from 12-2. This is the reason we didn;t use it during the day for sea days: We wanted to sit down for breakfast on sea days with our group since there was no rush and usually till we got out of there and then went to clean up and use our bathroom it was already 100 or so, so we kept them with us. Plus they did the rock wall, glof and waterslide areas on sea days and the parents have to be with them for that.

There were never many kids in the night program. There is a fee. Its $5 an hour per child.

They did like it, but they were usually too tired after dinner to go.

As far as dinner goes they can order just like you can. Actually our waiter preferred they ordered off the adult menu. They order mozzorela sticks one night and they were awlful. They ate adult food the whole time.

The kids club does Johnny Rocket dinners with the kids at no additional cost on 3 nights. Both formal nights and then one other night. My kids went for one formal night.

One night (Lobster night) I fed them in the Windjamer and sent the to the club so we could have a quiet meal without the kids. That was nice and then they stayed for a little while. The food was great and there were a few times we tried something we didn't like and no problem they will take it away and brng something else right away. It was neat for the kids to be able to try new things without breaking the bank. HAHA.

The pool thing was definately a problem on sea days. There was nowhere to sit. People go so early and like I said before we enjoyed sit down breakfast so till we were ready all seats, especially to be near your kids, were gone. Go early if you really want to be near the pool. We honestly didn't use the pool much. The days just flew!!!!!

This was our 2nd cruise, but 1st with kids. It was a lot harder on us with them, but fun. We didn't get to enjoy much of the nightlife like I had hoped to.

I have heard there is in room child care, but we were more comfortable having the kids in a group setting.

Hope this helps.

I'll write much more soon.

The

April 3rd Sea Day

We had breakfast in the main dining area with our group to see what everyones plans were and brag about the beautiful AOS. We played golf. Explored the ship. And had a good day on the ship. This was the night of the captains reception in the promenade and the first formal night. The captains thing was crowded. We didn’t stay, we took pics of eachother all dressed up instead, but if you like champagne go, its FREE!!!! Unfortunately I like wine no carbonation for me thanks.

The kids stayed at the kids club for dinner at Johnny Rockets and the late night party so we could check out some of the nightlife. Jester’s is a cool place. DJ club music or anything you request. I like to dance so I liked it there.

Time for bed because tommorrow is ARUBA!!!!!

April 4th ARUBA

We rented 5 jeep wranglers through Royal Car Rental. Perfect!!! They were right at the pier and so were the jeeps!!! We drove up to the natural bridge. They kids and all of us adults had a BLAST!!!!! It was a ball!!!!! Off roading and just being silly. It was amazing and truely right out of a movie!! I loved it. We also went to the natural pool. From there we headed back to get a ferry over to DePalm Island. It was 40/person, kids FREE!!! This included the ferry ride, a buffet lunch, all you can drink (alcohol and non alcohol) (try the blueberry maragritas---good!!!), and snorle equipment. Plus lounge chairs. Well worth it. They have awesome snorkling. Huge blue parrotfish that’ll eat right out of your hand. We loved it there. Take bagels with you off the ship to feed them. We shoved a bunch in our backpacks at the windjamer. You’ll never see fish this beautiful again. The blue is amazing!!!

We were here from 1 till about 430. We then made a stop at a harley shop in town for one the the couples and returned the jeeps before 6pm. Headed back to the ship showered, dinner and back off the ship for a quick stop at Carlos and Charlies. They were packed. We only stayed about an hour, had a drink and had to get back by 1230. I heard 2 people must have been having a really good time because they missed the ship. Ya thats right they will leave you if you are not back ontime, unless you are with a ship booked excursion.

I was on the Adventure about a month ago and LOVED it! I am enjoying reading your review...it is bringing back wonderful memories. Unfortunately I have not had time to write a review of my own!

To answer the previous poster-when I boarded I changed in a public bathroom and climbed right in the pool! The pools and hot tubs were all filled and because I was in the pool by 1:30ish it was not crowded :)

yes the pools are filled and ready for use. FYI the pools are salt water.

Thanks for answering my question---every other RCCL ship I have been on only had the hot tubs but not pools functioning.

Guest cruzr44

Did you have a reservation for the jeep or are there plenty available if we decide last minute on what to do? How many ships were in port and if there were five does anyone tender?

The ferry ride was included in the ticket price. There is a ticket both right at the ferry dock. 40pp and the kdis were free. This was on our own. I did not do any excursions through the ship.

The Jeeps we pre reserved through Royal Car Rental. I would reccomend doing this. Im sure you could get one there though. Especially for the person with 5 ships in port. I'm not sure exactly how that would work. We were never in port with that many ships. I think there was one other that day.

April 5th Curacao

We grabbed a cab for $4 pp and went to the Sea Aquarium. It was a really cool place. Its very pretty there. They have different shows sheduled through the day to see. We got there to see a sea lion show. The allow 15 volunteers to be kissed by a sea lion for free. That was cool. My oldest son and I both did that. Then we just checked the place out. The have a touch pool with starfish, sea cucumbers and other small things that you can pick up or feel. The admission was $15 per adult and $7.50 per child to walk around the aquarium. Just an FYI, I had read on this board somewhere that your ticket purchase will get you onto the beach at the sea aquarium.... NOT the case. They said they hear this all the time, but they are not in anyway associated with the aquarium. Its $3 to get onto their beach. Still not bad, but we had no intention of doing the beach this day so we didn’t pay it. Other friends of ours went there and said it was one of the prettiest beaches they ever saw. They went diving there right off the beach and loved it.

After this we took a $1 bus into town and took the free ferry back over to the ship side and walked around a little. You have to be careful there. On the side we were dropped off at (NOT the ship side) someone approached us trying to sell drugs to us. I heard later we weren’t the only ones who ran into this. No real problem but thought I’d mention it.

April 6th (At Sea)

Again we just enjoyed the ship. My DH and 2 sons all climbed the rock wall this day. Some people in our group did ice skating, but we did not. We got tickets for the ice show for this night. It was terrific. We all loved this show. It is amazing what they are able to do on such a small rink!!! This was also formal night #2. We took the boys with us this night all decked out in their tuxes (SOOOOO cute).

This was the midnight chocolate buffet too. Amazing and delicious. They let you walk through at 1115 for pictures and if you want to eat you have to get in line in front of the dining area on deck 3 and then they let you in again at 1200.

April 7th (St Marteen)

This day was not the best. I had reserved a car through expedia with a company called europcar for 24.95/day. I had found out about this from 1 person on cc. Sounds too good to be true right?? Yes it was. NEVER again. My reservation said it was located at the ship pier and it wasn’t. We walked outside the gates for a while thinking maybe they were out there and found out they were actually at the airport which I understand would have been about a 15 min cab ride. Thank God I did not give my credit card info to reserve it. We exited the gates and turned left and came across an Avis at a marina about a 7 minute walk from the pier. He rented me two 4WD Dihausi (???not sure spelling) for 40 each. We hopped in tose and started our driving tour around the island. I was hoping to get to Marigot. I heard there are some neat stores there and an amazing lookout point for pictures. We somehow missed the sign for it and ended up too far past to go back. There is a place on the map call Pic Paradis. It turns off the main road and is a narrow concrete road that winds up to the highest part of the island (this is on the French side). When we got to the top there was a gated home with a do not enter sign and it dead ended there. We parked since there was a wood sign in the ground that said “lookout point” and pointed through a trail in the woods. All 8 of us walked through and it was a beautiful view from the top of a mountain. We took pictures and from there we were off to Orient Beach.

Oh ya, 1st we stopped at Maho Beach so the kids could see the planes come in. We didn’t stay we watched 2 come in and headed to the next destination. When we got to Orient and got our bags out I realized my camcorder had been stolen and the bag for it left behind. My girlfriend discovered that her digital camera and $200.00 cash was gone. At this point her boyfriend threw up in the parking lot and they headed back to the ship. The rest of us walked along the beach for a little and my DH and I argued because of course it was his fault for not locking up. We decided to leave and head over to Dawn Beach where others from our group had went for the day.

This was a nice little beach. The water was great and there was a little bar/restaurant right there. No water sports though. Orient looked like alot of fun. We probably should have stayed and enjoyed the day, but I needed to go for a ride and digest my anger. I wouldn’t have been so mad if they would have left the tape. It sickens me that people like that have video of my kids!!!!

We were back onboard by 430 for a pre dinner nap. The kids went to the club after they ate so we could enjoy Lobster night without them. I endulged and ate 4!!!!!!!

April 8th (St Thomas)

We rented Jeeps from Budget for the day. Its so much fun exploring with a jeep. I LOVE St thomas. This was my favorite island the whole trip. I think we had the most fun in Aruba, but StThomas was by far the prettiest!!!! I think its because there is green there. The other islands are so deserty. It was nice to see trees, grass, bushes, etc. It made the mountains and blue water that much more beautiful.

We got alot in to this day. I had taken advice from this board and printed off a Frommer’s driving guide. It was great. We circled the whole island in the day. We saw some beautiful beaches and the road trip itself was so scenic. We ended the road trip at Magen’s Bay. It is a very pretty beach, but I truely don’t see why its on the top 10, but thats my opinion. We stayed about a 1/2 hour. Just long enough to take a picture, walk through the gift shop and use the bathroom. After research and advice I knew I wanted to go to Saphire Beach. Its part of a resort and it is BEAUTIFUL!!! We rented jet skis here. They also have parasailing, snorking, etc. They have alot of reef there they are protecting so you had to walk over to a seperate area to get the jet skis. The water was really rough and my 6 year old quickly discovered he wanted off, so he and I waited till the rest of the group was done. The guy we rented from, Gary, sent me over to use the resort pool. It is a 2 level pool that overlooks the ocean through palm trees. There were lounge cars for use, beach area, and a pool/beachside bar and grill. I plopped in a chair with a Strawberry daquari and wanted to stay. The view was incredible. I felt like I was in a postcard!!!!!!

When we left here we drove up to Paradise Point. It is a high point that overlooks Charlotte Amalie and the cruise ship area. Great spot for pictures. The too have a restaurant/bar and gift shops.

At the bottom of the hill is budget, we returned the jeep and walked through the mall area to head back to the ship, but not before I got diamonds!!! MY DH surpized me when we were in jewlery store and bought my a 1.06 invisable set diamond bangle set in white gold. I was shocked!!! Nice little token to take home from my favorite island.

When I got onboard I went right to bingo. No one won teh jackpot so they set up a 1030 game and we were just to play 1 game for the jackpot. After dinner my DH and I did this. For those of you who never played, when you only need 1 more number you are to stand up. I needed N32!!!! I was standing and wow I never knew bingo was soooo intense. I felt my pulse through my whole body. The next number was revealed N33!!!! And then one more number was called and a woman from London took a 5700.00 jackpot home.

Time to go pack up the room.

April 9th (Disembarkment)

We ate in the formal dining room to say a goodbye to all our friends since some of us were on seperate flights. Our flight wasn’t leaving till 430. I had cars reserved again, but did not want to do the whole shuttle thing again! We ended up going on a San Juan tour with one of the guys at the port. There were several of them trying to get passengers to go. It was $20/pp. And they let my kids go free. Needless to say we were on that bus in no time. They stored our luggage in the back, showed up the capital building (got to go in), the forts (had 1/2 hour there), new San Juan, Old San juan, we shopped for about an hour and then by 230 dropped us at the airport. Worked out great. We were really glad we did this because we did not realize that there was a beautiful part of PR. What we saw the day we flew in I never need to again.

Sorry if this review is choppy. I have been so busy since I have been home that I am drained till I find time to write.

I would definately cruise AOS again, even the same route. I thank all of you that contribute your experiences to this board it truely made a difference in our vacation.

I would be happy to try to answer any questions!!!

Oh ya the Quest show is a don’t miss too. SOOOO Funny!!!!

For those of you that worry about movement. You never feel it. The ship is sooooo big its amazing. I did not use anything this trip, but I did take a medicine cabinet with me. HAHA!!! The 1st night and the last night my head at times felt a little funny and I would have to ask someone is it me or can you feel movement. But its really nothing. Every fishing boat or glass bottom boat I have been on I have been deathly ill, but I was fine on this.

Hi,

Did you just walk off the ship and there were people there signing up tours? How did you know they were trust-worthy? What was their name so I can look for them too. We are looking for something to do as our flight isn't until 4:30 either.

Thanks!

I actually do not know the name of the company. The driver's name was Gus. They do not ask for any $ until you are at the airport. I never felt unsafe or even questioned it being a reputable tour company to be honest. They will be approaching you as soon as you come out of the door at the port. They will be right there where the taxis are. They use medium size buses. I would say it seated about 30 people. Ours was white, but the other half of our group was in a black one.

We enjoyed it. Hope this helps.

What a great Report!!! Just 1 question-why do you need to get tickets for the Ice Show-I thought that everything on the ship was included at no charge ?

We grabbed a cab for $4 pp and went to the Sea Aquarium. It was a really cool place. Its very pretty there. They have different shows sheduled through the day to see. We got there to see a sea lion show. The allow 15 volunteers to be kissed by a sea lion for free. That was cool. My oldest son and I both did that. Then we just checked the place out. The have a touch pool with starfish, sea cucumbers and other small things that you can pick up or feel. The admission was $15 per adult and $7.50 per child to walk around the aquarium. Just an FYI, I had read on this board somewhere that your ticket purchase will get you onto the beach at the sea aquarium.... NOT the case. They said they hear this all the time, but they are not in anyway associated with the aquarium. Its $3 to get onto their beach. Still not bad, but we had no intention of doing the beach this day so we didn’t pay it. Other friends of ours went there and said it was one of the prettiest beaches they ever saw. They went diving there right off the beach and loved it.

After this we took a $1 bus into town and took the free ferry back over to the ship side and walked around a little. You have to be careful there. On the side we were dropped off at (NOT the ship side) someone approached us trying to sell drugs to us. I heard later we weren’t the only ones who ran into this. No real problem but thought I’d mention it.

April 6th (At Sea)

Again we just enjoyed the ship. My DH and 2 sons all climbed the rock wall this day. Some people in our group did ice skating, but we did not. We got tickets for the ice show for this night. It was terrific. We all loved this show. It is amazing what they are able to do on such a small rink!!! This was also formal night #2. We took the boys with us this night all decked out in their tuxes (SOOOOO cute).

This was the midnight chocolate buffet too. Amazing and delicious. They let you walk through at 1115 for pictures and if you want to eat you have to get in line in front of the dining area on deck 3 and then they let you in again at 1200.

April 7th (St Marteen)

This day was not the best. I had reserved a car through expedia with a company called europcar for 24.95/day. I had found out about this from 1 person on cc. Sounds too good to be true right?? Yes it was. NEVER again. My reservation said it was located at the ship pier and it wasn’t. We walked outside the gates for a while thinking maybe they were out there and found out they were actually at the airport which I understand would have been about a 15 min cab ride. Thank God I did not give my credit card info to reserve it. We exited the gates and turned left and came across an Avis at a marina about a 7 minute walk from the pier. He rented me two 4WD Dihausi (???not sure spelling) for 40 each. We hopped in tose and started our driving tour around the island. I was hoping to get to Marigot. I heard there are some neat stores there and an amazing lookout point for pictures. We somehow missed the sign for it and ended up too far past to go back. There is a place on the map call Pic Paradis. It turns off the main road and is a narrow concrete road that winds up to the highest part of the island (this is on the French side). When we got to the top there was a gated home with a do not enter sign and it dead ended there. We parked since there was a wood sign in the ground that said “lookout point” and pointed through a trail in the woods. All 8 of us walked through and it was a beautiful view from the top of a mountain. We took pictures and from there we were off to Orient Beach.

Oh ya, 1st we stopped at Maho Beach so the kids could see the planes come in. We didn’t stay we watched 2 come in and headed to the next destination. When we got to Orient and got our bags out I realized my camcorder had been stolen and the bag for it left behind. My girlfriend discovered that her digital camera and $200.00 cash was gone. At this point her boyfriend threw up in the parking lot and they headed back to the ship. The rest of us walked along the beach for a little and my DH and I argued because of course it was his fault for not locking up. We decided to leave and head over to Dawn Beach where others from our group had went for the day.

This was a nice little beach. The water was great and there was a little bar/restaurant right there. No water sports though. Orient looked like alot of fun. We probably should have stayed and enjoyed the day, but I needed to go for a ride and digest my anger. I wouldn’t have been so mad if they would have left the tape. It sickens me that people like that have video of my kids!!!!

We were back onboard by 430 for a pre dinner nap. The kids went to the club after they ate so we could enjoy Lobster night without them. I endulged and ate 4!!!!!!!

April 8th (St Thomas)

We rented Jeeps from Budget for the day. Its so much fun exploring with a jeep. I LOVE St thomas. This was my favorite island the whole trip. I think we had the most fun in Aruba, but StThomas was by far the prettiest!!!! I think its because there is green there. The other islands are so deserty. It was nice to see trees, grass, bushes, etc. It made the mountains and blue water that much more beautiful.

We got alot in to this day. I had taken advice from this board and printed off a Frommer’s driving guide. It was great. We circled the whole island in the day. We saw some beautiful beaches and the road trip itself was so scenic. We ended the road trip at Magen’s Bay. It is a very pretty beach, but I truely don’t see why its on the top 10, but thats my opinion. We stayed about a 1/2 hour. Just long enough to take a picture, walk through the gift shop and use the bathroom. After research and advice I knew I wanted to go to Saphire Beach. Its part of a resort and it is BEAUTIFUL!!! We rented jet skis here. They also have parasailing, snorking, etc. They have alot of reef there they are protecting so you had to walk over to a seperate area to get the jet skis. The water was really rough and my 6 year old quickly discovered he wanted off, so he and I waited till the rest of the group was done. The guy we rented from, Gary, sent me over to use the resort pool. It is a 2 level pool that overlooks the ocean through palm trees. There were lounge cars for use, beach area, and a pool/beachside bar and grill. I plopped in a chair with a Strawberry daquari and wanted to stay. The view was incredible. I felt like I was in a postcard!!!!!!

When we left here we drove up to Paradise Point. It is a high point that overlooks Charlotte Amalie and the cruise ship area. Great spot for pictures. The too have a restaurant/bar and gift shops.

At the bottom of the hill is budget, we returned the jeep and walked through the mall area to head back to the ship, but not before I got diamonds!!! MY DH surpized me when we were in jewlery store and bought my a 1.06 invisable set diamond bangle set in white gold. I was shocked!!! Nice little token to take home from my favorite island.

When I got onboard I went right to bingo. No one won teh jackpot so they set up a 1030 game and we were just to play 1 game for the jackpot. After dinner my DH and I did this. For those of you who never played, when you only need 1 more number you are to stand up. I needed N32!!!! I was standing and wow I never knew bingo was soooo intense. I felt my pulse through my whole body. The next number was revealed N33!!!! And then one more number was called and a woman from London took a 5700.00 jackpot home.

Time to go pack up the room.

April 9th (Disembarkment)

We ate in the formal dining room to say a goodbye to all our friends since some of us were on seperate flights. Our flight wasn’t leaving till 430. I had cars reserved again, but did not want to do the whole shuttle thing again! We ended up going on a San Juan tour with one of the guys at the port. There were several of them trying to get passengers to go. It was $20/pp. And they let my kids go free. Needless to say we were on that bus in no time. They stored our luggage in the back, showed up the capital building (got to go in), the forts (had 1/2 hour there), new San Juan, Old San juan, we shopped for about an hour and then by 230 dropped us at the airport. Worked out great. We were really glad we did this because we did not realize that there was a beautiful part of PR. What we saw the day we flew in I never need to again.

Sorry if this review is choppy. I have been so busy since I have been home that I am drained till I find time to write.

I would definately cruise AOS again, even the same route. I thank all of you that contribute your experiences to this board it truely made a difference in our vacation.

I would be happy to try to answer any questions!!!

Oh ya the Quest show is a don’t miss too. SOOOO Funny!!!!

For those of you that worry about movement. You never feel it. The ship is sooooo big its amazing. I did not use anything this trip, but I did take a medicine cabinet with me. HAHA!!! The 1st night and the last night my head at times felt a little funny and I would have to ask someone is it me or can you feel movement. But its really nothing. Every fishing boat or glass bottom boat I have been on I have been deathly ill, but I was fine on this.

Hello RN,

Thanks for the review. We were on that same cruise and my review is listed also, if you care to read it. I love reading other reviews just to see how other people enjoyed their week. It's interesting how many different options, perspectives, etc. there are. My review isn't quite finished, as I still need to do St. Thomas. I don't know if you'll want to read it, as it is very long. No matter how I try, I just can't help but be wordy.

Have a nice Easter weekend.

Laura (aka grangermom)

I have a question another than the dining rooms are there other places to eat dinner? I just cruised with Princess & had the anytime dining & it is really great (to me), it seems this option would work great with kids.

April 5th Curacao

"On the side we were dropped off at (NOT the ship side) someone approached us trying to sell drugs to us. I heard later we weren’t the only ones who ran into this. No real problem but thought I’d mention it."

This happened to the people that were at Dinner with us twice they have teenage sons..Just becareful