Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pletcgm

Xcarat

Has anyone been to this theme park attraction in Calica? Is it anygood? Is it worth going to? I ask because there are so many theme parks here in the states to go to and is this just another theme park? Thanks

XCaret is wonderful - but you didn't say which ship you will be on our how long you will be in port or which port? These are all important because if you go into Cozumel you will be ferried to Playa del Carmen where you will then take a bus. Depending on how long the ship is in port you may not have enough time to REALLY enjoy the park. It's not an amusement type park but mainly beaches/lagoons and attractions - like the dolphin swim.

If you haven't checked out their website you may want to - http://www.xcaret.com/index.php

This is NOT an excursion I would try on my own - there are strict timelines and you could run the risk of missing the ship. You really need to balance whether the time is worth the money you will spend.

I will be more than happy to help answer any questions you may have - with more information.

Loved it. Very large park. Lots of walking to see everything. But even our teen(hard to please)daughters had a good time.

We also loved it. It's not a theme park in the U.S. sense of the term, but rather an environmental preserve with nature-themed attractions. No thrill rides, etc. You MUST take the underground river, preferably two or three times. Nothing like it. You don't have to be a good swimmer because they give you life vests if you wish. And, don't worry, even thought the website may say the water is cold, they heat the water so it wasn't bad at all. Very refreshing, and my Wife HATES cold water and didn't have a problem.

We also loved it. It's not a theme park in the U.S. sense of the term, but rather an environmental preserve with nature-themed attractions. No thrill rides, etc. You MUST take the underground river, preferably two or three times. Nothing like it. You don't have to be a good swimmer because they give you life vests if you wish. And, don't worry, even thought the website may say the water is cold, they heat the water so it wasn't bad at all. Very refreshing, and my Wife HATES cold water and didn't have a problem.

They must have had the heaters off when we were there. It was ice cold! (still worth it)

it's a great place with a ton of things to see and do.i'd say you would need at least 8 hours in the park to experiance almost everything.they also have a dinner show at night that about the myan culture.I would definatly go back if i had the time

I went to Xcaret a few years ago. We took the ships excursion and boy am I glad we did. We were late getting back and since it was through the ship they held the ship for us. Basically as we ran up the gangplank we were pulling out. It was enjoyable, but because of how long it takes to get there and back, I felt we didn't have as much time to really enjoy the park and all it has to offer.

I certainly wouldn't do this on my own and probably wouldn't go from a cruiseship again. If I was on a land based vacation and could spend the day at leisure there, it would be awesome.

The evening show is spectacular, but we did have to get to our bus quickly and missed the end of it - I recall that we just took a bus at the dock and they were aware they needed to get back on time. The park is something you will not see anywhere else - plenty to do if you like to be active or inactive! See the ReAL Mayan ruins, underground river, etc etc. You really run out of time to do everything there!

If I was on a land based vacation and could spend the day at leisure there, it would be awesome.

I couldn't agree more. I went to Xcaret with my family a few years back, and it was really cool. I don't recommend it for a cruise excursion, simply because its sooo relaxing and pretty, and meeting cruise times and stuff, IMO, would ruin the experience.

BTW, I don't think the heaters were working when I was there either... I still remember how COLD that water was!!!

We went in May of 2001 and you could see and feel the warm water entering the waterway. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't warm, but it wasn't cold either. Somewhere in between. :)

We will be Calcia next week and want to go to Xcaret and wanted to book with Carnival...Carnival web site offers the exursion but when you try to book, it is not avilable...

My question...I understand Xcaret is close to the pier where Carnival docks...do they have a shuttle bus or do we have to take a taxi to Xcaret?

We loved Xcaret too. Great food and drink too. If you like hot, ask for the salsa verde. Loved the underground river, loved the aquarium, loved all of it. The only thing is that we didn't have enough time to do everything. I'm planning on going back though.

We went to Xcaret during our March 30 cruise. We booked through Carnival...about $55 per adult, slightly less for children, unless they

were under 4 (free). They had shuttle buses, very comfortable. The park is about 15 minutes away.

It was a neat place, but our ship was leaving at 5pm and I just didn't feel I got my money's worth. Just not enough time to it.

Sunnye

I called Carnival and asked why the Exaret excursion was not available to book via the website for the Imagination sailing 5/4. I was told that this particular excursion is only reserved via the excursion desk on board.

Since Carnival will arrange for bus transportation from Calica and is only a 5 minute ride and only costs approx $50US this sounds well worth it. The price includes the cost of admission as well as transportation.

I hope this helps~

That is a wonderful price - including transportation. We went out of Cozumel so it was much more. Since you are close you MAY be able to do it on your own if the ship is booked up - BUT - since this only requires a bus I doubt that will be the case. The reason I bring this up is becuase if you plan to do the Dolphins then I would book them ahead of time through their website - 1. It will be cheaper and 2. It will guarantee you a spot.

I called Carnival and asked why the Exaret excursion was not available to book via the website for the Imagination sailing 5/4. I was told that this particular excursion is only reserved via the excursion desk on board.

Since Carnival will arrange for bus transportation from Calica and is only a 5 minute ride and only costs approx $50US this sounds well worth it. The price includes the cost of admission as well as transportation.

I hope this helps~

It does help...thanks

We have 2 days before we sail away...:D

Thanks Ronniegintx, I had been wondering the same thing. I just looked and couldn't find the excursion on line.

Maggie02 - I hope you have a great time. We'll be on the Ecstasy 5/11. Let us know how it was!

CM

Hi

We have just returned from a 2 week all inclusive break in Riviera Maya(Bahia Principe-excellent resort). While there we spent the day at Xcaret,DH, DS(11) and I all thought it was brilliant,not a theme park in the US sense but something a bit different.

50 dollars is an excellent price with transportation.We opted for the plus package(includes a meal and snorkle equipment) and it cost $79 for adults and $49 for kids on the gate. We arrived around 11 am and left at 9 pm after the show and still didn't see everything.

Take plenty of sunscreen, it was very hot there. The underground river was a nice way to cool off!

Have a great cruise,

Julie

I regrett missing Xcarat when land vacationed in Cancun. If we go on the Miracle, How long does it take to get to Xcarat from Cozumel? From Costa Maya? My preference is to go xcarat from Costa Maya since we heard this port is really boring with nothing much to do. Can we take a taxi (easily) to Xcarat? How much is the cost?

I regrett missing Xcarat when land vacationed in Cancun. If we go on the Miracle, How long does it take to get to Xcarat from Cozumel? From Costa Maya? My preference is to go xcarat from Costa Maya since we heard this port is really boring with nothing much to do. Can we take a taxi (easily) to Xcarat? How much is the cost?

I do not recommend doing Xcaret on your own from Cozumel and certainly not from Costa Maya. Taxi ride from pier in Cozumel to federal ferry - $6.00 each way (time approx. 15 minutes). Ferry ticket - $11.00 each person (time approx. 35 minutes), taxi from Playa del Carmen to Xcaret $9.00 each way (time approx. 15 minutes), entrance fee to Xcaret $59.00 each person over 12.

Miracle gets in to port at 8:00am. One week it tenders, one week docks. On tender days, the passengers not on a booked tour will be boarded after all tour people leave the ship. So figure you might get off the ship at about 9:00 local when tendering. Here is the ferry schedule from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen:

5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 ,2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10

So you would most likely catch the 10am ferry. And get to Xcaret at about 11:30 (figuring in transit time with taxi, ferry, taxi, walking to taxi, etc.).

The ship leaves at 5:00 local and you have to be onboard at 4:30.

Here is the schedule from PDC to Cozumel:

6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11

So you would have to leave Xcaret no later than 2:30 to make the 3pm ferry to get you to Cozumel at about 3:35 and then taxi to ship by about 4.

Not really worth only spending 3 hours there!

And forget going from Costa Maya...a taxi ride I am guessing would be about $200.00...it is almost 3 hours away from there!

Save yourself money and headaches, book it through the ship and leave early on the mainland tender directly from the ship...you will get more time in the park and no worries about missing the ship. It is actually cheaper if you add up all the transportation costs.

Thanks for the details info. Yeah, it doesn't like a good idea after factoring the travel time, cost and time spent on the park either from Cozumel or Costa Maya. We are so not going to spend $200 on taxi ride, broke by time I get there.:eek:

Our inspiration cruise stopped in Calica. A very quick 10 min bus ride. We were there by 10:15, and took the 5:00 shuttle back. Last shuttle was at 5:30. We had a good 6 hours there, there was much we didn't see. Book the dolphin thing on line before going if you want it, it was sold out when we arrived at 10:15 and the park was just opening, and empty. We did both sides of the underground river, cool and refreshing, but not cold by any means, felt great, as it is very hot there. We swam out in one ofthe lagoons and watched the dolphin encounters through 2 chain link fences about 2 feet apart, and then it was going on right in front of us. So we got up close looks at the whole think while floating in the beatiful water. It was a great day, would have liked to stay longer, but 6 + hours was worth it in my opinion, it cost us through carnival 177.00 for 3 adults, great deal when you look at the cost of taking a cab, and so easy to hop off the ship and onto the waiting bus.

The Triumph will be at Cozumel (docked or not? I don't know) 7/10 from 7am-10pm. We have 2 adults and 4 children and would like to go to Xcaret. The ship excursion is 8am-3pm for $89 a person. I had considered booking a private excursion but it seems possible that we wouldn't get off the ship in time for that if we need to tender. The Carnival excursion seems like it wouldn't give us enough time in Xcaret (about 9-2?). Is it feasible for us to get off the ship to the ferry, then a bus, go to Xcaret for several hours, and then all of get back again late afternoon/early evening on our own? Or is it better to just plan on paying over $500 for 5 hours in the park but know that all of the transportation is taken care of? If it makes any difference, I'll be on crutches so wouldn't want to do anything that will take an excessive amount of walking.

We were just there a couple of weeks ago. I just want to let you know that it is a very big park so plan on walking a ways once you get there. I do believe that they have wheel chairs you can rent though. I had banged my toe on board 2 days before, my whole foot bruised so I assumed I broke it, but traveled on and had a great day there. Tough to walk around alot, but you can do it. IF you can get in the underground river, then floating in them is wonderful. Btw, we went from Calica, so I can't speak as to the travel time from Cozumel. We arrived at 10:15 and took the 5:00 bus back, but we only had a 10 min ride to the port. Still missed a bunch of stuff, there is so much to do there.

The Triumph will be at Cozumel (docked or not? I don't know) 7/10 from 7am-10pm. We have 2 adults and 4 children and would like to go to Xcaret. The ship excursion is 8am-3pm for $89 a person. I had considered booking a private excursion but it seems possible that we wouldn't get off the ship in time for that if we need to tender. The Carnival excursion seems like it wouldn't give us enough time in Xcaret (about 9-2?). Is it feasible for us to get off the ship to the ferry, then a bus, go to Xcaret for several hours, and then all of get back again late afternoon/early evening on our own? Or is it better to just plan on paying over $500 for 5 hours in the park but know that all of the transportation is taken care of? If it makes any difference, I'll be on crutches so wouldn't want to do anything that will take an excessive amount of walking.

The Triumph will be docked on Monday. Please do not do this tour on your own from Cozumel...see my post on page one of this thread for the detailed reasons why.