Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pletcgm

Xcarat

We leave on the Inspiration next Sat the 30th! We will be in Calica on oct 3rd from 9:30-6:30.....that should give us plenty of time to enjoy Xcaret!!! It is only $59.00 pp which includes transportation so I think that is a great price! I investigated the internet site for the park and it looks so amazing..........now I am really excited for that port. At first I thought it was going to be a bummer of a port to visit. We have been to Mexico a few times before and enjoyed ourselves but we are tired of the the typical shopping, eating drinking thing..........this sounds awesome! Now I have something to really look forward to!:D :D :D

Does anyone remember if you could get your hair braided at Xcaret? What about any shopping once inside? My daughter wants her braided and if we go to the park I am not sure if we would have enough time to go into Playa and get it done, seems a little stupid but she only 11 and this is really her only request.

I don't recall but to be frank I would find a different port to get her hair braided. This is a wonderful park and it would be a shame to miss even one second. Hair braiding takes quite a lot of time.

If you happen to be going to Belize they do hair braiding really quick & do a great job. I actually had mine done in a twist instead of the braiding & it looked very elegant.

we will be going on NCL DREAM Nov 14, the ship stops to let groups off in Playa del Carmen at 8AM then continues to Cozumel where we would meet back with the ship, leaving at 6 PM.......Would this leave enought time to enjoy Xcaret?

We are spending a week in Playa Del Carmen in January - My wife is asking me about going to Xcarat - It would most likely be our only trip off of the resort as we are not rolling in dough -

I am not terribly tolerant of crowds in general - I'm not a snob, please don't take it like that. I'm no X-treme (anything) freak either. I just don't want to be led around by the nose and told to look at the pretty bird...now look at the pretty rock....I don't like being told that I have to pay extra money for events and activities after paying over $50 US to walk around in some overly organized park where you are restricted to boardwalks, sidewalks and human lines shuffling along like a bunch of thorozine zombies with digital cameras and fussy children.

I've been to some pretty hoky "parks" that are constructed to entertain the geriatric tourists and I don;t want to get shanghi'ed into another day of rolling my eyes at some simpleton handling a ratty parrot that's been in captivity for 25 years and pawning it off as a natural inhabitant of the region.

I know that this sounds a bit cynical - I appologize if this offends anyone - it's not meant to do that - I just want to experience a very real sense of the area that I visit, not some concocted conglomerate of all that Mexico might be (somewhere) -

I read previously on this thread about Costa Maya being a boring place - I was there in '04 and took the walk down to the fishing village of Majahul (sp?) - although there were a lot of folks hawking their wares I also found these folks to very willing to actually talk a while and to show a little more of their real world if you treated them with respect instead of like pests or just another attraction (It really doesn't help them to understand english if you talk louder) - I liked hanging loose with these folks more than any other excursion that year.

Sorry for droning - I hope someone can see my plight and give me a little more detail and insight regarding the genuine structure of the park.

We are booked on the Holiday in Nov. We are going to Cozumel and Calica. I am a hugh picture buff and have a digital 35mm camera. We want to go to XCarta in calica...is taking my camera a good idea? If we want to do the river float what do I do with it???

Thanks for the reply Cheryl -

I've been to some nice areas but I have to admit, I'll never cruise again. But that's just me.

I like getting a more in-depth understanding of the areas that we visit - Cruise "excursions" are promoted as a snap-shot of life in that area and like most snap-shots, They are awkward, uncomfortable and staged. Not my cup of tea (or my pint of stout).

That's why we have defaulted to the inclusive (not exclusive) resorts. No pressure to sell-sell-sell (drinks, jewels, booze, paintings, whatever...)

Nice and relaxed - and with the resort stay we can go to a place like the Xcarat and stay as long as we like.

Thanks again for your input - very much appreciated -

Anyone else have any thoughts on the place - even if you think I'm expecting too much - I'm not above a brisk pop-in-the-chops if that's what I deserve....

Well folks - here's the real deal - I searched some other areas and found out that this Xcarat is just another ridiculous, phony, staged, expensive, money grubbing tourist trap.

Here are some opinions that seem sincere, objective and descriptive. check out http://cancun-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150807-d152777-r6007172-Xcaret-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Folks with an opposing perspective, please don't take this in a defensive nature, if you went and enjoyed it that's great.

I just didn't want to see another stupid "Mayan Culture" characature and that's all this dump is. A bunch of unfortunate local people forced to wear phony costumes to please the ever-inquisitive tourists who'll believe just about anything they're told. A few moth-eaten animals hiding in corners and a nice phony, over crowded river full of urine to float in. Oh Boy!

Thanks but no thanks.

I guess I'm confused - there are 5 reviews at that link and all but one enjoyed their time there.

Please don't take this in a defensive manner :D - but I look at like Christmas with all the fake Santas and all (comparing to all the fake stuff you were referring to) - but as long as you take it for the spirit in which it is intended then you'd have a great time. At some point you don't beleive in Santa but does that mean you can't enjoy the season.

It sounds like XCaret isn't for you - which is fine. To each their own. My kids really enjoyed it and that's all that really mattered to us.

Excellent point - You'll probably get much more out of the Xcarat than I will - I guess I'm too gristly and tired of the chintz and glitz - Another great point you have is the kids - we really did get more enjoyment out of our kid's happiness than we did from most of the events that we'd participate in, whether it was the holidays or vacations, the wonder and amazement that the kids had in their eyes was what we looked forward to the most...

Now that the dust has settled and the kids have grown, it's just a bunch of hokey gimmicks - Well, maybe in a few years we can start again with Grand kids, eh?

I don't know if that link that I posted changes a lot, but I read about 4 or 5 reviews where folks were very very displeased the amount that they were charged for entrance fees (it really does seem to be a crap-shoot as to what each group of folks is being charged, but that's most likely due to the number of different resorts and cruise lines and their profit margins)

These folks were concerned with being badgered to buy things, being charged for many other small amenities, they talked about how fake the river was, how the animals were tucked away, the fake mayan ruins, the aquarium's only redeeming value was the AC....they were saying that they tried to ask questions of the folks at the turtle farm but none spoke english.

There were many reviews that I saw Cheryl- many more than the 5 that you saw, and at least 50% of the folks responding were not happy at all. Many said they wished that they had stayed at their hotels/resorts but were now captive until the buses were leaving at night or had to pay $60 taxi fees to go back to Cancun.

Look - My mom told me the same thing everybody else's mom told them - "If you can't say anything nice, Don't say anything at all..." But this is supposed to be an information sharing board, (good news or bad, right?)

Maybe I'm like the (too) many cynical minded folks out there - If it's just me then shame on me - but I'm getting the feeling that this place is not what I'm looking for at all.

Yeah, I went back to the link that I posted - you have to hit the "next" button at the bottom of the reviews - It runs about 50-50 between 5 stars and 1 or 2 stars - seems that it's one of those places that you'll either love or hate and very little opinion in the middle - but I just scanned only about 30 responses...as I said, it's either hot or cold...

I know this may be a stupid question, but are the underground rivers completely underground? Is there breathing space, etc?

I don't think you will feel confined. The area is large. There are sections that are open and you can get out at any time. you'll just have to walk to the end to get any items you might have checked at the beginning.

Excellent point - You'll probably get much more out of the Xcarat than I will - I guess I'm too gristly and tired of the chintz and glitz - Another great point you have is the kids - we really did get more enjoyment out of our kid's happiness than we did from most of the events that we'd participate in, whether it was the holidays or vacations, the wonder and amazement that the kids had in their eyes was what we looked forward to the most...

Now that the dust has settled and the kids have grown, it's just a bunch of hokey gimmicks - Well, maybe in a few years we can start again with Grand kids, eh?

I don't know if that link that I posted changes a lot, but I read about 4 or 5 reviews where folks were very very displeased the amount that they were charged for entrance fees (it really does seem to be a crap-shoot as to what each group of folks is being charged, but that's most likely due to the number of different resorts and cruise lines and their profit margins)

These folks were concerned with being badgered to buy things, being charged for many other small amenities, they talked about how fake the river was, how the animals were tucked away, the fake mayan ruins, the aquarium's only redeeming value was the AC....they were saying that they tried to ask questions of the folks at the turtle farm but none spoke english.

There were many reviews that I saw Cheryl- many more than the 5 that you saw, and at least 50% of the folks responding were not happy at all. Many said they wished that they had stayed at their hotels/resorts but were now captive until the buses were leaving at night or had to pay $60 taxi fees to go back to Cancun.

Look - My mom told me the same thing everybody else's mom told them - "If you can't say anything nice, Don't say anything at all..." But this is supposed to be an information sharing board, (good news or bad, right?)

Maybe I'm like the (too) many cynical minded folks out there - If it's just me then shame on me - but I'm getting the feeling that this place is not what I'm looking for at all.

Nope - all is good. :D It's good to share and I can see your perspective. I didn't see the link to more reveiws and I did look. Maybe I need my eyes checked.

We did spend a lot when we went but we had a great time. We went through the cruiseline but there are cheaper ways. We had limited time so we wanted to make sure we didn't miss the ship. We went mainly so that my youngest (who is specail needs) could swim with the doplhins and then he decided there was NO WAY he was getting in there with those creatures. Needless to say we didn't get a refund but that was the risk I took and I certainly didn't blame anyone for that. It did make for an expensive day. He did enjoy watching his brother though.

I had friends who were in the area last summer - at one of the resorts - and they said it was well worth it - but they had a great price also and were nearby. I think I would be disappointed if some of the things you mentioned happened to me also. We did the river and yes it is man made - but I was with kids and they thought it was great. What it would be like to see through a childs eyes again - :) .

I have read a few mixed reviews of the place, but all I can say is that I would love to go back. My BF and I went a few years back (2003) and had a wonderful time. The only complaint that I/we had was we didn't have enough time there. We had wished that our time was longer. We are 2 married women who cruised together- no husbands or kids..... we had a blast in the underground river..... and yes, there is room to breathe, and every now and then there is a "skylight" opening to above where natural light comes in. When first getting into the river we felt the water was "cold", but after we got use to it, it was wonderful. We liked the park alot and spent some time lounging on the tubes floating in another water area. The day that we were there is was really "HOT" so we spent as much time as possible in the water areas.

The birds were nice and we enjoyed walking around the park and seeing things (fish, turtles, birds). However, the heat was overwhelming and we choose water activities as our main entertainment. We took another cruise in 2005 and Cozumel was suppose to be our port, but it was several months after the hurricane and the ports had not yet been opened to cruise ships yet, so we got diverted to another port (Progresso)- otherwise we had planned on going back to XCaret.

As with everything in life- not everything is for everyone...... We can just share our experiences and one needs to determine for themselves what they think they might enjoy. For me, I'll go back! :)

We are sailing the Fascination on 3/26. I don't see any Carnival tours for Xcaret? Is it no longer offered? With a late stay in port, would be great to see the night show.

Carnival still offers it but you can only book it at the Excursion desk after you get on the ship. I think it's $55. We are going 4/26 and plan on doing this excursion. Can't wait to see this place!