Calica...help!!!

cml

We have no idea what to expect...our needs...a beach, a palapa, adult beverages (delivered or very close by). We have always gone to Chankanaab in Cozumel and were very disapointed that our 11May Ectasy itinerary was changed to Calica. We do not need to snorkel, see ruins or shop. Just want to sit in the sun or shade of a palapa with a cold beverage. We are fully capable of entertainging ourselves so a setup like Chankanaab or Paradise Beach is not imperative. But if something like that is available and is our best bet we will take any and all info. Our group consists of 10 adults. No kiddos this trip....yeah!!!

We were on the Grand in Feb. and just spent the day along the beach. Between the two Ferry Piers, there are many club/hotel/restaurant type places that will provide you with beach chairs/umbrellas/tables as long as you buy drinks or food. We enjoyed several:D We tendered in to the North Pier and just walked the beach until we found one we liked. You'll be going into Calica, so you'll need to take a cab into Playa, but it's not far or expensive. Also, just a few blocks up from the beach, you can get your shopping fix also! The one we spent the most time at had a Taj Mahal looking motif and was just south of El Faro ( the lighthouse looking hotel)

Coincidentally, I will be on the May 11th Ecstacy cruise also. Haven't decided if I will dive, Snorkle/Kayak, Zip Line or just hang at the beach....so many options...so little time:)

Mike

http://www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

I don't know much about other options in the area, but I do know that Carnival offers an excursion called the Calica Beach Break. I opted to try it out last weekend, and I loved it.

Basically, the Beach Break consists of transportation to and from a beach near Xpu ha, an open bar, and access to umbrellas, beach loungers, hammocks, and non-motorized water toys. Wave runners can be rented, and there is parasailing as well. The beach loungers and beach umbrellas go fast, but I just moved a chair away from the table we had (the tables with umbrellas are more plentiful than the beach umbrellas) and threw down my towel for a siesta in the sand.

I personally thought it was worth the price of the excursion, even without drinking my weight at the open bar.

Kishijoten-

Thank you for the info...I went to Carnival.com and was able to read about the excursion under 'shore excursions'...but when I accessed my reservation and looked at excursions offered for my itinerary it is not listed as a choice...actually it looked like only about half of the excursion I saw previously were offered...maybe I caught it between updates...do you think it is possible to go to the place you went to without booking an excursion? I have nothing against ship excursions just weighing all options...

Do they have Xcaret as an excursion on the inspiration, we are looking at booking this ship this summer? I know that sometimes all possible excursions are not offered on all the boats.

Also is Calica a tender port, or do you dock at the pier?

Kishijoten-

Thank you for the info...I went to Carnival.com and was able to read about the excursion under 'shore excursions'...but when I accessed my reservation and looked at excursions offered for my itinerary it is not listed as a choice...actually it looked like only about half of the excursion I saw previously were offered...maybe I caught it between updates...do you think it is possible to go to the place you went to without booking an excursion? I have nothing against ship excursions just weighing all options...

CML,

Per Carnival's website, when you look at the excursions the way you have, it will list ALL excursions. When you log in, you are looking at just the excursions offered for YOUR ship. That is why all of them are not showing up.

Dave

jetskier -

I have no problem understanding or navigating the Carnival website...I was just disappointed that of the 35 shore excursions mentioned only 13 were offered for my cruise...Fortunately we have spanish speakers in our group so for now the plan is to wait til we get to Calica and talk to

someone there...I am a planner so this makes me crazy!!!

Hello Jetskier

There are plenty of options in Calica.

Just a few feet of the dock are many drivers with mini vans waiting. They are very helpful and can drive you where ever your time schedule allows you.

Here some ideas

Xel-Ha Snorkel Park

(Famous, very crowded, lots of People)

X-Caret Park

(Famous, very crowded, lots of People)

Dos Ojos Cenote

(Famous, lots of divers and snorklers all over the place but nice, lot’s of stalactites and stalagmites)

Tulum Ruins

(Very nice but can get very hot there.. Sun pure..

A good option in the afternoon.. but they close at 5pm)

Labnaha Cenotes Park

(My favorite, very nice quiet place, not yet crowded with very professional guides..

They offer a spectacular dry cave, zip line into the dry cave and the most amazing snorkel tour in a subterranean river.

Check out my post under Playa del Carmen / Calica

Labnaha Cenotes Park

Archived