Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mecb50

Atkins forum

ISCOLE>>>>>>>>>>

I am proud of you on your quest to be a non smoker. Keep up the good work.

I found you! Love the new boards, but it's a disappointment to lose all the other great info we had here.

Have taken up a new form of exercise. DH and I bought new bikes a few weeks ago. Last week we rode all the way around a lake. Tomorrow we're going to Virginia to ride a 17-mile trail called the Virginia Creeper. If you're looking for a way to rev up your metabolism, biking is the way to do it!

I'm maintaining my weight around 122. Total loss 72 pounds. That's four pounds more than I weighed in high school. Not bad, considering my age and having 3 children.

DH is finally learning to appreciate the effects of eating low carb (at least part-time - he doesn't need to lose). He used to have a lot of stomach and esophagus problems. Now that we're retired and he's eating my low carb dinners, his problems have just about disappeared. Our son was complaining about not having much energy the other day, and DH told him he might feel better if he wouldn't eat so many carbs! Wow, was I impressed! After 14 months of this WOE, the message is finally getting through!

Everyone have a great day.

Bleh! We had a weekend family reunion so everything I lost over the week last week I regained. Thank goodness all of those are done and we don't have any big parties planned after July 4. I'm not to worried about July 4 though because that's our homeschool group and I know that there'll be lots of veggies, salads and good foods. Everyone there is on some special diet whether vegan, raw, dye free, organic... It's an entertaining bunch to cook for.

So anyway, I'm back to losing the same 3 dang pounds I lost last week! Hopefully it will warm up enough to get into the pool and do some exercise because that speeds everything up. We're also going to the zoo tomorrow so that will be a 4 hour walk.

Tami

Linda, WAY TO GO. Already losing and still not smoking!!! :D Tami, you will do fine as long as you stay away from the dessert table! I wouldn't want to have to cook for that group.

Carolina girl. You seem to have totally worked out your WOE for your family. My DH just started this. Today on my way home from shopping I picked up two low carb whoppers. Both my DH and I thought they tasted great, but we could have eaten two!. Still haven't been "bad". We had chinese last night, but I had szhezhan(sp?) scallops and chicken wings. Don't think the sauce could have had too many carbs since it is not a "thick" sauce.and not a sweet sauce. How can we find how many carbs are in "take out" food? WW was pretty good at giving you a book of point conversions for popular take out. When will someone put one out for low carb. We are at the mercy of the restaurants to put the carbs, fibers and sugars on the menu. ( and very few do).

Carolyn, are you back yet??? Hope everything's ok. Everyone, keep up the good work and let's have a great week!! Mary

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and your support too. I printed out some things I found on Atkins.com to help with the induction diet and reading these boards is very informative. I stopped drinking my Crystal Lite Diet Iced tea :( and I've been drinking mostly water or decaf tea with Splenda. I've lost a few lbs. already. :)

Dee

Mary,

When ordering chinese.. ask for NO corn starch.. that will help w/carb count...

as for me.. things aren't that great.. was down at parents taking "care of business" or trying and got a call at 1PM.. Alex sprained his finger at sleep away camp. Then got a call from Mike at 5PM.. it's broken and they want him to go to ortho to get in set in cast... UGH... so I drive back "north" tonight (100 miles) and tomorrow at 7AM need to go another 50ish to get Alex at camp at take him to MD.. pray it can be "just splinted" and he can salvage the rest of his time at camp w/o too many restrictions...unf. it's his right and and he's a righty.

Hope everyone's having success and less stress than me.

Carolyn

BTW, did a MAJOR order at Vitaminshoppe and did an impulse purchase of Cortislim -- they had it at $34.95 and I've always been curious, esp. since I've had more than my share of stress.. we'll see.

Carolyn, you really are having a tough time. Parents then your son. Your going to feel that your living in your car soon. How are Mom & Dad doing? Have you been able to arrange for the help you need? What is happening withyour son's finger.

Mary keep praying today is day 6 of no smoking and I've lost 4 of the 7 lbs. Of course I have to take medication on Saturday am and the only way my stomach tolerates it is by eating a big carb breakfast. Oh well it's only every 2 weeks that i take it.

I've ordered more stuff Vitamin Shoppe, go free shipping and $20 off my order by looking at the coupons in their online circular (sp).

Good Luck everyone this weekend and try to stay good while attending holiday bar b ques.

Carolyn, so sorry about Alex. Maybe the Cortislim will really work wonders for you. I really hope so. I was supposed to go to girl scout camp when I was 8 and I broke my wrist. Never got to go then and it was only a day camp!. Didn't get to overnight camp until I was 13.

Drove my new car to work today. It's so great to finally have wheels again. I haven't had a car since my kids started college. Also my new washer/dryer is being deliverd on Sat. Got the new High Efficiency ones for my new first floor laundry room.

Linda, You are doing so great. Keep up the good work. Losing and not smoking ...how great is that?? What do you mean by a high carb breakfast? Bread??? You could have low carb bread or bagels. My son eats the Arnold bread all the time.

Well, say a prayer for me today. I'm going to go out to eat with the "girls" and then we are going to a Janet Evanovich book signing. I plan to eat low carb, but you never can tell;) Everyone have a great fourth of July weekend and be sure to use low carb barbeque sauce if you want sauce! then ENJOY. Mary

Just thought I'd let you all know that another board I belong to is having a recipe contest for low carb Indian food. They'll be posting all the recipes sent in on their list. I'm not sure if they're posting as they get them or at the end of the contest which is Aug. 10. Anyway you can check it out at http://www.cuisinecuisine.com if you're interested in Indian food. I'm all about it but I've learned to cook alot of it because my oldest daughter is Indian by birth. It's the best way I can think of to teach her about some of her birth culture.

Tami

Well, what a day I've had..

Up at 7AM and on the road in 20 mins to drive to p/u Alex at camp to take to MD. Had to stop off at hospital to get records. Then to MD.. then had to get a cat scan of hand (back to hospital) since they couldn't see too well w/x-ray. Well, go back to MD (he's saying that finger will "probably" need 2 pins.. )Alex is scared and also upset that camp's a goner. At MD he tells me that hospital sent over the "old" (yesterday's) x-rays instead of cat. So he talks to radiologist for a verbal (doesn't even look at them) says he needs to see a hand surgeon (growth plate problem) and will need 2 pins... Alex is hysterical now (before we went we were assured that he'd get cast and would be able to do stuff). Back to hospital to get films of cat since I'm pulling Alex from camp (will go back north after to pack him up) and have him seen by pediatric ortho surgeon tomorrow. Luckily the MD we saw today spoke directly w/pedi and we were able to get appt. at noon (esp. since it's usually "impossible" to get appt w/this MD and it's also a holiday weekend coming up). So back to camp for Alex to "say goodbye" . Everyone's upset. They're asking if there's any way for him to come back.. he's the model camper. So I let him hang for a bit after packing up. I read magazine in car and let him "chill". At times when I went to check on him he seemed a bit meloncholy and appoligizing about the situation. Alex could get a bit anxious and I assure him it's not his fault (dodgeball game). So home we go.. another hr in car. All during this time all I had to eat was an Atkins shake (aren't you all proud of me). <luckily I had it in car and found ice at hospital>. I loaded up on several cases at VitaminShoppe so I got to take advantage of savings. I also joined their frequent purchase program (now I have 2 $10 off $50 coupons). The temptation to buy more is high. Miraculously considering all I've got on my plate I'm not "terribly" stressed... did take Cortislim today and also Atkins #3 so I'll let you all know what happens. Had Costco chicken for dinner (had to stop off there for gas and I knew Alex and Libby would enjoy the chicken.. who needs to cook right now w/stress). and a bit of fresh mozzarella (my weakness lately), so all in all good choices.. .let's hope I hold out oK.... maybe I'll get to gym tomorrow before Alex's appt.

Hope everyone is well.

Mary congrats on new car, new washer/dryer... anything else "new"?

Linda, way to go w/kicking the habit.. just think of the $$ you'll save from quitting.

Carolyn

Computers make me crazy. I typed a response hit some key and lost it.............

Anyway Carolyn how are things going? I can't believe how badly Alex fx his finger. I never knew they could put hardware in fingers. Any chance after it's done he can go back to camp? Is he in a lot of pain?

Mary new car great what did you get? I usually eat bisquick pancakes I've tried the Atkins pancake mix with this med and it's not enough in my stomach. But you gave me an idea. I'll have to get Arnold's low carb bread and make french toast and see how that works with my stomach. I had 5 stomach ulcers 2 1/2 yrs ago from meds and I don't want to repeat that.

My dog had surgery this morning 5 cysts removed one incision is over 3" other are 1 and 2" she is not a happy camper. DH and I having been taking turns sitting in the kitchen with her. DH is using the aerobed and will sleep there with her. She usualy sleeps in our room but incisions are ozzing. She's a basset hound her face is usually sad but now she's in pain and it's a really sad face.

DH and I originally didn't have plans for the weekend and now were going to 2 get togetheres. I'm going to try to be really good. Still not smoking. The wellbutrin is helping.

Carolyn, how do you join frequent buyers at Vitamin Shoppe I've spent about $250 on two orders.

Linda,

I went to the store right by Roosevelt Field (is it Carle Place) on Tuesday to get order in before price increase (don't know if it went up or not). I went to Oceanside library to print out order form showing the online prices since the store there told me they'd match the net (great, don't have to wait for shipping though knew I wouldn't have shipping charges since it was going to be a huge order). Well when I was checking out clerk asked if I was a member.. heck no. Well I joined, didn't realize that there was a coupon in booklet until the next day. I broke the order into 2 $125 and one $75 so got total of $30 off.. also got a great price for Cortislim since I was curious to try it... $35 instead of $50 plus shipping on net directly.

Hope there's some good specials at Vitaminshoppe and I have my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly w/Alex tomorrow.. I too didn't know they put "hardware" w/fingers. What I was told is it's a temporary pin that they'll remove in a few weeks.. just the idea of it scares Alex and makes me squeamish (and that's not good since I'm trying to be brave for him).

Linda, hope you're pup heals quickly and free of pain.

Carolyn

Oh, Carolyn, so sorry about Alex. How terrible for him to have to leave camp. Bab enough that he has to have "pins" but to mess up his social life is horrible. Maybe the cortislim is working..you seem to be handling all your stress great. I belong to the gold card at GNC. You get 20% off everything the first 7 days of the month ( this month they are streching it to 10 because of the holiday)..So I'll pick up some cortislim for myself. I am not under the stress you are at home, but work has been pretty stressful for me..who knows...I'll try anything to help me lose weight.

Linda..keep up the great work. You are something else:D What a great job you're doing.

Tami , I have never had Indian food. There is a dish that I used to love, before low carb, curried chicken and brocolli that they served at work. I'm sure it's loaded with carbs ( bread crumbs on the top is the first clue).

Well, must run to work. We are taking our old car down for an oil change to we have to leave early. Our "new" car is a 1998 Cadillac Deville. It is gorgeous. It has 60,000 miles on it. As long as the car had heat and airconditioning and was running...I didn't care. Just give me wheels:D

Everyone, have a great holiday weekend. Mary

OK guys (gals)....I need help here. I chatted with you guys a few months ago. I have been a cc fanatic for a little over a year now but just discovered the "lose before you cruise" section back in March or April. I spoke with y'all some then but have not been back since due to cruise/work. Anyway, help!!!

I started Atkins (or a modified version of it) last Memorial Day ('03) and did well. I say "modified" because I swear air and water has carbs. I can have more than my daily allotment of carbs just walking from the bed to the shower (and their is no food in my bedroom). I also joined Curves. Last summer I was able to really stick with the plan (sort of) and exercise (Curves & golf). I was pretty much ok during the fall & winter (even through 3 cruises and the holidays). Spring rolled around I was still doing ok. In addition to Curves I started doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. This seemed to really help. Even did fine during 2 week cruise in April.

But then I got home and work went crazy. I have been stressed out at work for two months now. I have not had time to exercise (working 14 hours a day or so) and have eaten really badly. On the seefood diet....you know....I see it....I eat it. Heavy on the carbs. I can feel my butt getting bigger with every bite but it doesn't seem to stop me. Well, needless to say I still had tons to lose still and did not need this reversal.

Hopefully work is slowing down a bit and after this weekend (big pool party at my house on the 4th) I will be able to exercise and start concentrating on what I am eating.

Anyway, I hope you guys will make me "accountable". I always seem to do better when I have someone to "report to".

My husband is no help. He would really like for me to be thin but if I could just not be "a whale" I would be happy. He encourages me to exercise but doesn't understand that my Curves has such limited hours that I can't make it when I am going to work early and staying late (before and after Curves hours). He has always been a toothpick and doesn't understand why I can't have chips/dip, pie/cake, etc. in bed with him at 10 pm. If he does gain a lb. or 2 he just has to skip a couple of meals and loses it.

Thanks for the support. Please add me to the prayer list.

Carolyn....I hope things get less stressful for you with your parents and son.

Linda....Congrats on the weight loss while quitting smoking and a big congrats on the No smoking. I have never done that but have some friends that just can't seem to quit.

Everyone else....please keep up the good work and keep encouraging each other. I think the support / accountability really helps.

Have a great holiday and God Bless America!

Skigirl, you ARE my life. I don't have the stress Carolyn does at home, but I sure have been having stress at work. I also do both Curves and Walk away the pounds. I am just getting back on track and it took all the prayers for me to do it. (Still not 100% either!!). I think , as I previously said, I am going to try cortislim. We will see. First, relax and enjoy the weekend. Try to eat good carbs and don't worry too much. Then Monday...start again. We can do it, we really can. I'm pulling for you. Mary

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

After being so good all week, no over eating no smoking I finally succumbed. I was in the mall and had a intense craving for a cigarette and was almost going to buy a pack when I smelled the cinnabons. Sooooo no cig ate a mini cinnabon with 20 oz bottle of coke. Came home and my house is being sided, guys all over the place, pounding ,the dog whining, so another can of coke and pretzels and potato chips. I was going to do my walking tape, but at this point I'm going to watch Oprah. Trying not to beat myself up too much.

Carolyn and Mary thanks for all your support. Carolyn how is Alex? Surgery was today?

Mary your new good sounds great. That 's the big caddie?

Lets start praying again.

Mary,

I didn't use to like Indian food at all because there were too many spice for me and my midwestern palate. However, I kept taking my daughter to restaurants and kept trying it and now I have a serious jonesing for it. :rolleyes: Tonight I'm making paneer masala which is cheese in a tomato and cream sauce. I found the sauce in jars at Trader Joes much cheaper than I can make it at home. It has 13 grams of carbs but only 2 of those are sugar. I can make better from scratch which is even lower carbs but I'm already running late on dinner. DH has to be at work at 5:30 so we eat early.

I am doing a recipe search tonight for a dish to take to a cookout so if I see any good chicken curry dishes that can be converted I'll post it.

Tami

Tami,

Don't you love Trader Joes (as we've called it for years "TJs" (used to live in LA when Alex was born... unf. they're not that close to us.. the kidlets LOVE their potstickers).

Mary,

"If" you have a Vitaminshoppe near you buy the Cortislim there...

FIRST go to their website and go on the "monthly flyer" section,

and you should find a coupon for $10.... use it for the Cortislim in the store... which SHOULD be only $34.95 (list $50 "if" they have it at GNC). I'm going to be printing LOTS Of those coupons... since I'll be down to LI again and their still having 50% on atkins products... the $10 coupon is for a "minimum" purchase of $10... so I'll be probably getting more shakes.

Haven't been to gym in two days now... so I don't know if the Cortislim is doing anything that way.. hasn't affected my sleep adversely. Also, Vitaminshoppe said they'd take it back if it didn't work if I gave back at least 1/2 bottle... so that was a selling point.

My theory about things w/Alex are coming true.. today went to pedi-ortho for second opinion... when I went back to that "bogus" hospital for the 3rd time (get catscan report) I didn't realize that they "kept" the duplicate x-rays, so when I came today I only had the cat scan and no x-rays.. (on the way over realized that Mike took them out of car and I was driving to MD w/o them had to return home -- as well as scream at Mike for taking the out of car... didn't need to be late since the appt. was special accomodation). Well we got there... they took another set of x-rays and MD examined every-thing and said he'd review it with his "hand specialist" colleague... seems like he's leaning towards splinting and having the pins as a last resort (what I was hoping for... sigh of relief). Now Alex is saying.. maybe he should have the pins since it would have made NO sense to leave camp since it just needed to be splinted.. he's confused since the next 3 weeks are going to be BORING. If he goes for last session we'll only have 1 week before school starts and won't have a change to have a family getaway. So, we'll see.. Mike's ready to send him back in a week but I think we should wait a bit for things to heal and have him really enjoy w/o worrying too much.

Have a great weekend everyone.. just make concious (sp?) choices and if not... at least enjoy EVERY bite.

Carolyn

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Linda, I had the same day you did!!! Got into the peanut butter (AGAIN!!). Had the topping off of a pizza for supper. Tomorrow is another day and I swear (well, hope) to be really good. I don't feel good now with all those carbs. Well, we will all start praying again ( I just said a quick one) and things will be great tomorrow!!

Carolyn , how can you stand it?? I'm getting stressed just reading your problems. I am going to get a bottle of coritislim tomorrow ( I'll check the price at GNC which is quite near me, but there is a Vitamin Shoppe at the next mall down the way a piece.)

We went to a Janet Evanovich book signing last night. A few of the women I work with love her books so we went and had a great evening. Have any of you read her?? If not, she is great. Light reading and VERY funny. Her books are numbered. ONE FOR THE MONEY is the first. TWO FOR THE DOUGH I think was the funniest of all. Her latest is TEN BIG ONES. I suggest get the paperback of ONE.. if you haven't read her. Let me know how you like her.

Linda, skigirl , tami , carolyn and I are going to have a GREAT weekend. Maybe if we say it enough it will come true.:rolleyes: Mary

PS GOD BLESS AMERICA on her birthday.

I love Janet Evanovich books. Just got the To The Nines. Haven't started reading it yet.

Now I have to get Ten Big Ones.

Also I've read Full House and Full Tilt but not Visions of Sugar Plums.

Have you read them?

Has she wrote any other books that you know of?

Glad you had a nice time at her signing.

Have a Happy 4th!

Belle, I have those "other" books in paperback, but haven't read them yet. She is going to come out with a new character that takes place in Miami . That book will come out in November. I just love Grandma Mazur and Lula. I really crack up when I read their antics. My DH thought I had truely lost my mind when I read Two for the Dough. I was alone in the bedroom, laughing so hard I was crying. He knows I cry in sad books ( that drives him crazy..."it's just a book") but he really was puzzled by my tears while laughing! Glad you like the books, they are great entertainment. Have a great holiday. Mary

Ok so I'm just eating>>>>>>>>>> Pancakes, cokes, BLT on whole wheat for lunch with chips. I've decided to let myself eat today and tomorrow and then that's IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Monday back to induction. My urges for cigs is going down, but the guys who are siding my house some of them smoke and of course it's come into the house.. Part of me wants to grub a smoke and the other part says NOOOOOOOOO. So I'll eat it out.

Mary I'm praying for you and everyone else.

Carolyn how is Alex? Doesn't it make you crazy that MD say one thing then decide it could be something else. AAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhh

Have a great weekend everyone :)

Linda

Linda...

I had a feeling that the local pediatric specialist would be more cautious than the original ortho we saw. He says "what are the benefits" from surgery vs. waiting and seeing what will happen since it's already starting to heal (that being seen from comparing the cat. from Thursday and his x-rays taken on Friday... he's also aware that the break's near (or on) the growth plate so he'll be watching it anyway. Also, the original one said "surgery, surgery, surgery" so won't have a deformity.. BUT it's only his pinky... and he's a boy. The specialist will refer all the films to their practice's hand specialist for final opinion BUT I didn't want to rush into anything that was far from home (1 hr away) ... if it needed to be than I wanted him to recoup. at home and have me with him (he's still my lil boy though he's my eldest). DH is definitely cautious since why do an invasive procedure than may have some complications (pins in then out). So we'll see what happens with final opinion. Alex is just bummed, feeling that if it is "just splinted" than it was a waste for him to come home. I tell him that if we didn't go home than it would probably have gotten worse. If all goes as hoped I'll be down to LI to try and make Mom's transition home a smooth one.. AND take care of some business w/Dad and elder lawyer. I had hoped to have taken care of some paperwork last Thursday at bank but that got put aside when I had to be back in CT that day... running around.

Today's a beautiful day.. hope it stays that way.

I've had a shake so far.. popped a Cortislim and #3... see if I can stay "on program"... so far I've been good for several days.. will try the sticks later today to see (bought the Atkins brand at VShoppe since they were "only" 60% off... impulse item as well as fat converter and AM/PM cleanse.. grasping at straws for help).

ENJOY.

Carolyn

Carolyn, Bought a product GNC claims was the "same" as cortislim, but was only 29.95 ( I got 20% off that price.) I took 2 pills today, along with all my regular stuff. I did have a bit of peanut butter:mad: But other than that I was on program all day. Maybe I'll make 100% tomorrow. If not, it will HAVE to be Monday with Linda.

Linda, Hang in there. You are doing great...and by the way...tell the men not to smoke in your house. That's as bad as someone making popcorn in your house. Have a great day tomorrow and count on you and I on induction Monday. I am not going to any parties on the 4th so I will try to get a head start on you tomorrow.

Carolyn, hope everything works out for your Mom and Dad. ( and of course, Alex as well). Just used my new washer...Wow, it is so quiet. The cycle is long but it is really quiet.

Have a great day tomorrow everyone. Mary