Atkins forum

mecb50

OK... it's been 3+ days on Cortislim while being on plan....

here's the news... NOTHING.. zilch... nada

at least it's not an increase, BUT I'll give it a bit more time

hadn't been to gym on Thursday or Friday but DID go today

(that's how I got to weigh myself... don't have scale in THIS house).

I HAVE been having a shake a day (Atkins) in the AM as breakfast, hope that doesn't throw things off.. since I bought several cases of the stuff.

Will keep you posted, truly wish I'd see the scale's numbers move in the right direction but MAY put Vitaminshoppe to the test if after week or so there's nothing.

Carolyn

I'm jumping in here to join this group! I've been lurking for a few weeks, tried to read the old stuff before the boards moved, but never really got caught up enough to feel like I could worm in here. :) But 3 pages is an easy read...so here I am. I have been doing low-carb for a year, lost 40lbs for real, plus those 5 that like to yo-yo when I'm bad. I'd still like to lose another 30, and feel more motivated now than I have in quite some time. I just came back from Alaska on Serenade of the Seas, and only gained 5lbs during PMS time, so that's not too bad! I started out the weight loss with the Carb addicts diet, and have moved over to Atkins. I try to go to Curves faithfully, and I think that keeps me from gaining as much as I might when I fall off the wagon...it has really helped when I am good too. :)

Nanci

Nanci...welcome. Some of us are still trying to lose all the weight and others , like Carolyn have been doing Atkins for years and are dealing with "middle-age-creep". We are all struggling here as you can tell, but we are devoted to the low carb WOE. Keep us up to date on your progress.Carolyn, this will be day two on the "cortislim" pill. Don't know if it will work, but at least I didn't spend 50 dollars on the bottle. I really hope you see a drop soon. That will perk you right up in the middle of all your family worries. Hope you are having a good fourth.

Linda, hang in there, the holiday is almost over. Tomorrow is monday and it will clear sailing from then on.

Everyone, stay happy today. Mary

Tami,

Don't you love Trader Joes (as we've called it for years "TJs" (used to live in LA when Alex was born... unf. they're not that close to us.. the kidlets LOVE their potstickers).

I live for Trader Joes! :D Between my diet and my little one's food allergies I do alot of shopping there and they save me a fortune. I can buy 8 corn free hotdogs there for $1.69 or 5 kosher ones at the grocery store for $4.00! I have to drive 45 minutes to get to TJ's in Indianapolis but it's so worth it. In the long run it saves me a fortune over having to go to Wild Oats or the natural food stores in Kokomo.

Tami

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

After being so good all week, no over eating no smoking I finally succumbed. I was in the mall and had a intense craving for a cigarette and was almost going to buy a pack when I smelled the cinnabons. Sooooo no cig ate a mini cinnabon with 20 oz bottle of coke. Came home and my house is being sided, guys all over the place, pounding ,the dog whining, so another can of coke and pretzels and potato chips. I was going to do my walking tape, but at this point I'm going to watch Oprah. Trying not to beat myself up too much.

Carolyn and Mary thanks for all your support. Carolyn how is Alex? Surgery was today?

Mary your new good sounds great. That 's the big caddie?

Lets start praying again.

Man, cinnabon's ought to require a prescription. They are so addicitive. I used to travel for a living and knew where the cinnabon was in every airport. :rolleyes: Still, I wouldn't stress out too much. Think of it this way, once you've smoked a cigarette there's not much you can do to counteract it. A mini-cinnabon you can counteract by doing a little exercise.

Keep up the great work. I wish my mom could or would try to quit. She's not even 60 but she has a terrible cough. She sounds worse than my grandmother's chronic cough and my grandmother had scarring from TB. :(

Tami

So i got up bright and early and decides to make brownies and choc chip cookies. To bring to bar b que. Of course I had to lick the beaters and mix spoon, then tast test brownies and cookies to make sure there weren't poisonous. It's funny last year at least time I would make this stuff and not lick a beater or spoon. It's funny how once you've lost your weight you slide back into bad habits. So I am eating today and then tomorrow MARY AND I start again!!!!!!!!

Whats the deal with cortaslim? What is it suppose to do? Also Accel 3.

Carolyn, hang in there with Alex and I would try the conservative approach. Like you said it's gis pinkie and he's a boy. It will make great conversation when he grows up. Where is Mom now? How is Dad doing? I remember going through what your doing and it's tough plus you living 100 miles away doesn't help.

Have a Happy 4th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nanci,

Welcome... next week my dear friend Nanci will be on Serenade also. I was on her just this September to Canada for a shorty cruise... what a great ship. And Alaska's incredible (did Visions last July w/family). Did you have access to concierge (we do 'cause we're Diamond) lounge? If you did I hope you got to meet Maritza... she's the nicests of all of them in the RCCL fleet. You "only" gained 5 lbs.. that's wonderful. Now join us.

Linda and others,

I'm holding out with my eating. When I did my major purchase at Vitaminshoppe I finally "gave in" and got major supplements to give Atkins "one last full blown try" before totally pulling out hair. I got Dieters Advantage (though not taking it now), #3, Fat Converter, AM/PM cleanse but didn't buy Accel since I was buying the Cortislim and since I was looking at ingredients and since I DO take an additional Chromium supplement, didn't think I needed to buy Accel too.. though I still may. I guess I may have got "sucked in" w/the Cortislim after seeing the infomercial. I'm trying it while doing Atkins eating. It's supposed to help the body cope w/stress (and as everyone here knows I've had more than my share the last couple of months).

As far as parents go, Mom's in Oceanside Care Center being released on Tuesday... she really needs a live-in since she's wheelchair bound and has some other health issues. (doesn't use bathroom but comode since the chair can't get through door of bathroom). Dad's in Southshore in Freeport for cardiac rehab.. been in there for about 2 weeks now so I'm not sure when he's getting out. Their house is in Baldwin and they REFUSE to sell and move closer to me (would make this a heck of alot easier than it is now). So Mom's out Tuesday, still haven't heard formal report for Alex's finger. She's got her "aide" (use that term loosely since she really is more a "paid friend" ... does minimal unless someone's watching) and she'll stay w/her (with her 2 kids) until Mom can line someone else up... Got referal to an agency that is "within their means" (live-ins through most agencies are astronomical). So that's where I'm at....

Debating whether I'll drag myself to gym and then do a supermarket run for some stuff for Mom.

Have a great day.

Carolyn

Dusty, You can do it again. We all have reached stalls and platues (sp?). Anyway, I'm sure you can do it. Good luck and keep us posted. Mary

thanks mary

i am doing good so far and have lost 4lbs. and im walking again so im off to a good start. and i was such a good girl at the store and only bought things i can have on the diet. no more sweets and bread for awhile :( .

Dusty, great job!! four pounds is great!!. Keep up the great work, and keep us informed.

Linda, today is THE day. I had peanut butter again yesterday:mad: But I threw out the jar. ( it was doing the "calling me" thing!). Curves is closed today, but I vow to take my clothes in my CAR tomorrow and go after work:D I am putting this commitment in writing to make sure I do it!

Carolyn, I took the Cortiless today. Will let you know of my progress. Good luck with getting your Mom setteled tomorrow. Hope Alex is beginning to feel better.

Tami, Since I started this WOE I had ONE cinnabon at the Tampa airport after my cruise. It was fabulous. I'm so glad I have none near me. We are flying into Tampa in Nov for our Florida vacation , so I can honestly say I hope the airline we are flying is NOT next to a cinnabon store!!

How did everyone survive the 4th? Hope everyone is well and now on plan.

Here's to a great week!!!....Mary

Ugh! WE had a big party and even though I made a low carb cheesecake (which was fabulous!) I still ate the brownie trifle and other junk I shouldn't have. :mad: Today I haven't eaten breakfast yet because my stomach is cranky. Serves me right! :(

Anyway, back to it. My husband and I are going to Cedar Point at the end of the month for our anniversary and I'm hoping to break below 200 before then. I did just have 7 pounds to go but after yesterday I have 12! :eek: I didn't eat THAT much! How did I gain 5 pounds overnight????????????? AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Tami

Carolyn...I was not lucky enough to be concierge level, but plan to be someday! This was our 2nd RCI cruise,but first with a balcony, so that was great for us.

I made it through the weekend ok...dd had a birthday party and I managed to stay out of the goodies. Whoever posted the ricotta, splenda, and vanilla extract recipie here recently (another thread though) really saved my life! I had the vanilla on hand, and now am looking for some chocolate extract to give that a try. Publix did not have any this morning.

Nanci

Got "good" (I think) news about Alex today at 10:30... doc said let's wait and see with finger.. see him on Friday and take another set of x-rays.

Mom's another "story" (or I should say her aide (who's flaking out as "I" predicted... wish I didn't have those powers) too long and I've got alot to do right now...

Hope to post later.

Carolyn

Linda, Have been good today so far!!! That's better than the last two days!

Carolyn, my thoughts are with you. Please try not to stress out. (Easier said than done!)

Hope everyone is doing well. Mary

Mary I'm proud of you for being good. I on the other hand have not. Not as bad as the last three days . I told DH I wanted to go for ice cream after dinner and he looked at me and said "what are doing going to hell with your diet." Told him I was restarting diet tomorrow. But I went to baskin robbins for ice cream anyway. But still no cigs. Every once in a while a get a craving more toward end of the day.

Carolyn that sounds like good news about Alex's finger. But not so great news about Mom. No brothers/sisters to help out. It would be so much easier if your parents would move closer to you.

It was nice having the day off. I slept a little late watch 1 1/2 movies this am then another this afternoon. I didn't get dressed until 1:30 What a nice lazy day.

Welcome to our new posters. You'll get alot of support on these boards.

Adoptmom Can I have the recipe for the atkins cheese cake. The 5 lb you put on cause of your party will come off easy. Everytime I go off Atkins it's automatic 5 lb but it comes off just as fast if you get right back on program. It water and I call it fake weight. I think you might break 200 before you go away. I used to average about 8 lb per month.

The recipe I used for the cheesecake was from Low Carb and Lovin' It on the food channel. I LOVE THAT SHOW! However, it's probably copywrited so I'm going to post the link instead. It's from a show called Deceiving Desserts. :D Try http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_27072,00.html

If you can't get it using the link just go to http://www.foodnetwork.com, click on LC&LI and there are lots of recipes. I also reccommend his Low carb Pizza.

Tami

Linda, I was good all day Monday. Not really all the way on induction, because I had blueberries and cream for dessert. I did keep the carbs under 20. Got my bag of gym clothes in the CAR and am going after work. I'll let you know the bad news when I weigh in there.

Tami, thanks for the link. I wll add it to my favorites. Also I have a season's pass on TIVO for that show! I love it as well.

Carolyn good luck with your mom. Mary

Carolyn...I was not lucky enough to be concierge level, but plan to be someday! This was our 2nd RCI cruise,but first with a balcony, so that was great for us.

I made it through the weekend ok...dd had a birthday party and I managed to stay out of the goodies. Whoever posted the ricotta, splenda, and vanilla extract recipie here recently (another thread though) really saved my life! I had the vanilla on hand, and now am looking for some chocolate extract to give that a try. Publix did not have any this morning.

Nanci

Nancy,

I found my chocolate extract at Wild Oats which is an organic grocery but I've seen it at larger groceries too. I just happened to buy it there because my youngest has alot of food allergies so I try to keep things as organic as possible. Glad you liked the recipe. It's my favorite late evening snack.

Tami

I started induction again this morning. I have exercise clothes in the car and plan on driving straight to Curves after work. I was going to do Walk Away Lbs. this morning but air conditioning went out in house so I just couldn't muster up the energy to do it in that kind of heat. (It was already 80 outside at 6 am.)

Linda...Keep up the "no smoking". As I said previously, I have never smoked but know that is a real challenge from being around my parents and several friends. I am very proud of you.

Carolyn....Glad to hear the "good" news on Alex. Hope things get better with your parents.

Tami....Thanks for the link to the lc recipes.

Everyone else....hang in there. Think low carb and exercise.

I am really, really going to concentrate on eating low carb and try to do the video and Curves as much as I can. (Hopefully work is slowing down some now.)

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your words of encouragement and including me in your prayers.

Ok Mary, I've been good all day not exactly induction but good. Came home and did a mile walking tape. Ironed, vacuumed something other stuff around the house. Trying to keep busy. I was somewaht cranky today. I wasn't craving cigs I probably wanted food and wouldn't give into it.

Tami great web site thanks so much. I glanced at while at work but I will spend more time on it later.

Skiiergrl thanks for the encouragement. What is your name?

Ok what is this ricotta, vanilla, splenda thing. Please share recipe it sounds interesting.

I've been eating the same food over and over again and am getting quite tired of them.

Carolyn how are things going?

Well, I was good today. Not induction since I had pumpkin seeds, but they are net carb zero. Weighed myself at curves. Gained 5 pounds. Not a surprise. When I weigh myself Sat morning we will see how I do. Linda and skigirl . we are going to do this. I feel better already. Linda,,hang in there you are doing great. The important thing is not smoking.

Hope everyone is healthy. Take care, Mary

Ok I know this is an Atkins support thread but I'm in it for Atkins and smoking. Tonight best friend came over and she stopped smoking when I did and she has cheated several times. Another friend came over who is a light smoker they both smoke and I DIDN"T. That's a first for me. I also had several glasses of wine and didn't want to smoke>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Can you believe it.

Mary you'll lose those 5 lbs easily. I call them fake weight. I was good today but not total induction. But good.

Linda,

You had company who smoked and you DIDN"T...... WOW that's great... and you're trying to get back on plan.. that's the first step... hope you find things a bit easier tomorrow. Know what it's like when you've got someone puffing away close by and it's tempting... I quit over 11 years ago and sometimes, with the stress, just having someone nearby the wiff is all I need.

Mary and Skiergirl... keep on trying... you'll make it back and the 5 lbs will go away. Just keep moving and being conscious of your choices.

Got some more good news for Alex.. they'll find a spot for him at camp on Sunday (second session) IF he gets the greenlight from the orthopedist (originally it's been booked up for boys for months).. appt. is at noon on Friday, so I've got all his laundry done and in bins ready to go back...

Mom's home, wasn't a good transition. I TOLD her I took some of her things (lladros and limoge boxes) back home w/me for safekeeping. As soon as she got in house she said "where are my things" (which brought attention to it to her aide.. not a good thing. There was major stress there to start with and it just put more there. Hopefully I'll get to gym tomorrow, the last 2 days I've been tied up on phone so it didn't work... back and heel are flaring so I MUST go tomorrow. Feel like it should be Friday instead of "just" Wednesday.. all this stress has been enough for a month already. I hope to drop Alex off at camp and get on road that evening and done to Mom so "hopefully" I can have her start interviewing for a permanent live-in. The one she has now has 2 daughters w/her now (2 1/2 and almost 8) and it's just a transitionary thing.

Funny thing though, I'm on "true" induction for several days now... (is it OK to have the shakes for induction?), have taken the Cortisol (since Thursday) but haven't weighed myself (don't have a scale in house), usually day 5 I've turned a slight pink but nothing's happening... I'm also popping Basic 3 and chromium and linseed oil.. in the AM have terrible cravings.. I have to wait an hour after taking thyroid to eat... but in PM don't have any cravings to eat... (once past the 5PM hump), so it's kind of weird.. maybe I should eat more.

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

Carolyn

Carolyn, The shakes are approved for induction. Great news about Alex being able to go back to camp. I know how disappointed he must have been. My DH is finally doing low carb and he's lost 8 pounds without even trying! It's that MAN thing again. Anyway, the doctor was really pleased since that weight loss has been only over a couple of weeks.

I am still being good. Took out Salmon to have for supper. Hope to cook it on the grill. Hope everyone is doing well. There is a great poster I've seen of a kitten hanging from a tree branch. The poster says. "hang in there". That's how I feel. Anyway, have a good day. and Carolyn, good luck with your finding a live in. I went through that and it was so difficult. Mary

Well, I didn't make it to Curves last night but I did get a little exercise and I are "right". Hubby didn't work late so we went to baseball game instead of exercise. But I got a little walking to/from car (parking lot down street) and going up/down the stairs to rr & fetching him food. Probably won't make it to Curves today either as we plan on playing 9 holes of golf after work. I'll get a little exercise there. At least I ate "on plan" all day yesterday and so far today (after being on a two month cheat) so I feel pretty good about that. I just have to get my determination back and keep it. I am really feeling sluggish. I haven't weighed but I can tell by the way I feel that I have gained quite a bit. I really have to get back on track and stay that way. I am determined to get to feeling better and be healthier (by losing the weight and exercising). I want to do this for myself (with or without a cruise) but having the upcoming cruises helps me to stay motivated. (At least it usually does....now that I am over my cheating phase.) I didn't mean to cheat....it was just way too stressful at work. No time for exercise and it was just "easier" to eat bad at my desk since I didn't have time to really concentrate on my eating. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Again, please include me in your prayers.

Linda....Congrats again on not smoking especially when your friends were doing it.

Carolyn....Glad to hear Alex may get to go to camp. Sorry things are hectic with your mom. I am very fortunate that my mom is in very good health (at 83). She has some not so good days but most of the time she can run circles around all 5 of us kids put together. You are doing great keeping up with your eating amongst all of this stress. I am very amazed at you. I would be eating Quarter Pounders and Super size fries while doing all of that driving. You are an amazing person. Keep up the good work. You are in our thoughts and prayers. You are definitely encouragement for the rest of us!

This is actually a southbeach recipe but it works equally well for atkins. I personally hover somewhere inbetween.

All you have to do is mix ricotta cheese (whole milk ricotta has the least carbs) with a few drops of vanilla or other extract and a packet or two of splenda. Stir it together and that's it. It's great for breakfast or a snack. the original recipe called for lemon juice and lemon peel but my favorite is a few drops of chocolate extract and a drop of almond extract. It tastes like canoli cream. :D

Tami

Archived