A Question for Past Spirit in Alaska Cruisers....

K.T.B.

What is the cell phone usage like while in the various ports? While not going into particulars, there's a very good chance my wife and I will need to make sure we have one that works. While sailing, I know it's just not going to happen. Though since we're not "way out to sea", who knows..?

Thanks it advance!

What is the cell phone usage like while in the various ports? While not going into particulars, there's a very good chance my wife and I will need to make sure we have one that works. While sailing, I know it's just not going to happen. Though since we're not "way out to sea", who knows..?

Thanks it advance!

Kevin,

Haven't tried in AK because we didn't have a cell phone yet, but in Long Beach, I was able to use my phone a few miles out to sea, No further. You may be able to use your's, does anyone know that has been there done that? :confused: Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Luv's Crusin'

I would suggest you also post this question on the PORTS section of this board (Alaska) and talk with the Budget Queen. She is the authority on Alaska and all the little details that others may or may not be up on.

Personally, when we were there, we kept getting some weird name on our cell phone that was probably legitimate...but that does not mean it isn't ridiculously expensive.

After hearing many horror stories about the expensive charges from Canada (from hubby's work) we decided not to chance it.

Call up your cell phone provider. Yes, there is some coverage in certain areas, I forget where. Ask your cell phone provider where in alaska (name the ports to them) you can get coverage. There is likely to be an extra charge I think, but don't quote me on that. I don't think your phone needs to be enabled for a different type of wireless.

Call up your cell phone provider. Yes, there is some coverage in certain areas, I forget where. Ask your cell phone provider where in alaska (name the ports to them) you can get coverage. There is likely to be an extra charge I think, but don't quote me on that. I don't think your phone needs to be enabled for a different type of wireless.
Been there, done that. :) Like Carnival's customer service, you reach different people, you get different answers.

LHP, I figured I'd get move "coverage" here, but I probably should... Thanks. :)

Last summer, I was able make calls from Juneanu, Skagway, Ketchikan, several places along the inside passage, and while cruising Glacier Bay. My service is with Cingular. After going ashore at Seward, I had service everywhere between Seward and Fairbanks. The only place that I had trouble was the Seattle airport.

Archived