South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

[quote name='WeirdEyes']Tami, I'm with you, girl! I'm finally seeing a loss. I weighed this AM and am down 1.5. It isn't a lot, but it is at least a start. I get my first steroid injection in my back today and I sure hope it doesn't make me gain any weight. Also, hopefully I'll be able to start back exercising after the injection. :D[/QUOTE]

Owwie! :eek: That doesn't sound like fun! Are you getting cortisone? My friend gets that in her knee. She said the initial shot will make you say bad words but then it really helps.

Tami

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]hi everyone - I'm still hanging around - I've just been very busy at work this last few days - and getting home late most evenings.[/color][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]I'm still doing okay on my phase 1.5 ?- I only have 1 carb item per day - one day a piece of toast, the next day a piece of fruit, etc. I guess I'll find out tomorrow - at my 1st Thurs weigh-in - unfortunately I can't post from work and it'll be late when we get home from the gym - but I will post.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Tami & Sheila - good job of getting back on track - congrats on the scale movement! Keep it up![/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Kathy[/color][/font]

Hi girls & guys (if there's any on here...LOL)! I'm on day 4 of South Beach Phase 1 and have lost 4 lbs. I feel so much better. I appreciate all of you listening to me whine and moan. ;)

I had my steroid injection yesterday and let me tell you, I was out of it for a while afterwards. The technician asked me if I wanted sugar or salt with my margarita before he put some "fun juice" in my IV. I said, "You better make it salt because I can't have sugar." After about 30 seconds, I was seeing double! I don't even remember getting the injection. I like this new doctor. :D He also told me that I could start back exercising on Monday! Maybe the pounds will start to fall off again after that.

Kathy, it sounds like you are doing very well. How much weight have you lost so far?

Tami, my back, butt, and left leg are hurting today from the shot, but I should feel better in a day or two. It takes that long for the steroid to kick in. I can't wait to do my Walk Away the Pounds DVD. :)

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=seagreen][/color][/font][b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=seagreen]Shelia...congrats on the 4 lbs. I hope those steroids kick in real soon and you are back to yourself and feeling good.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#2e8b57][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#2e8b57]I am starting back on phase one on Monday. I am leaving tomorrow morning to go to a wedding in upstate New York, so I know that I won't be good. We will be back on Monday, so I am shopping today so that DH and I can start dieting Monday morning.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#2e8b57][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#2e8b57]Rose[/color][/font][/b]

Shelia, that must have been something good that they gave you if you were seeing double. :D At least they do that. Back in the day my grandmother had to have them and they didn't. She said it was the most painful thing she'd ever had. Now she has a new knee so she doesn't have to have them.

I'm the same this morning which I expected after losing 5.5 in 2 days. Plus I always seem to not lose the day after ice skating. Don't know whether that's because the muscles are busy repairing themselves and I'm holding onto water or because I'm starving all day afterward. Also it could be because I had a few frozen grapes and some raspberry honey mustard (not together :p ) yesterday. I'll be stricter today and we'll see what happens.

Hopefully this weekend won't be too bad. Friday night we're hosting game night so I'm making vegetarian chili and low carb cheese cake. Saturday we're going to Indy to make a Costco and Trader Joes run for the month. We'll eat out for sure. I'm hoping for the bbq restaurant we love. They have great pulled chicken and the sauce isn't too sweet. The also have cruddy cornbread so I can resist that. :rolleyes: Sunday we have a family cookout with burgers and dogs. I'm taking another low carb cheese cake and veggies with hummus. At least I'll have options. My goal is to make it to monday without gaining back the 5 I just lost. It would be nice to have a weekend loss for once too.

Tami

Duh! Forgot to post my daily goals:

Breakfast: low carb bar
Lunch: fast food salad or bunless grilled chicken
snack: yogurt
Dinner: low carb pizza
snack: sf popsicle and cheese stick
exercise: Going to the park today if we can breathe.

Anybody out there get to the point where they just can't look at eggs?

Tami

Hi. I hope you all don't mind if I jump on to your thread. I feel that I can use some advice and encouragement. I'm on day 7 of South Beach (phase1) and have only lost 2 pounds so far even though I honestly haven't cheated at all. To be fair I should add that I did (finally) lose 3 pounds just before starting SB by keeping a food journal and really trying to cut out junk foods, so I'm actually down 5 lbs from where I started. My goal is another 7 pounds. A few people may think "why bother", but I had back surgery 6 years ago. In the past 2 years I went 12 pounds over my "ideal" weight, and I feel the extra weight is probably the main reason my back has started hurting again (no evidence of a new rupture). Also, my mom recently passed away from heart disease (as did my dad 12 years ago), and I felt that was a real wake up call to start a much healthier way of living. I was a carb addict. I didn't take in a lot of calories each day, but a BIG percentage of what I ate was carbs... and not the good ones.

I haven't been hungry on SB, in fact I find I have to remind myself to eat the 2 snacks. However, my hot flashes which had all put disappeared over the last few months have come back with a vengance. They were better yesterday than they were the previous 5 days. Will that keep improving as I stay on SB? I do find it rather amazing that I really have not craved sweets at all having been a sugar junkie previously.

Is the only 2 pound weight loss that unusual? BTW, I lost those by the 3rd day. I've only been doing about 20 mins. of walking a day, but should now be able to increase that to 30 or more now that my schedule has cleared for the next few weeks.

My trouble with gaining weight that didn't come off with my old methods of cutting calories and increasing exercise started right after I got off Celexa, an anti-anxiety medicine. Since then I've read about a lot of other people who have exactly the same difficulty with losing now. Any thoughts on that? I was on several different steroids before and after my back surgery, but didn't have any lingering weight gain.

A young friend of mine lost 30 pounds this summer on SB. She said when she hit a plateau she found that she started to lose again when she ate MORE of the approved foods in phase 1. Has that worked for anybody else?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Shae

Hi Shae! Glad you are here!!! I think the reason why you are losing so little on Phase 1 is because you don't have much to lose. The fact is those that don't have much to lose will only lose [b]maybe[/b] 4-5 lbs on Phase 1. I have 20 lbs to lose and have only lost 4 lbs. If you needed to lose 50-100 lbs, you'd be dropping the weight very fast. Stick with it and I promise you will see results. :D About you're friend....I've tried her method in the past and it does seem to work. If you are on a plateau, either your body needs more calories or more exercise. You have to figure out which one it is. Good luck!

Tami, you lost 5.5 lbs this week???? [i]AWESOME[/i]!!!! :D

Morning All,

Welcome Irislady, I also had 21 lbs to goal and have lost 55 lbs over the past 5 years(changing lifestyle) and had not lost much for the past 2 so decided on SB for a kickstart. I have lost 6 lbs and it has been almost 6 weeks. I only lost 3.5 in the first 2 and then about 3/4 lb per week. It can be grueling. But I have 15 to go and I have a cruise in 23 days and I sure feel better and look a little better in my cruise clothes.

I also was told to eat more protien and then I did start losing again. I am just going to weigh myself this morning...I feel a little liter so who knows.

Thanks for the encouragement, Sheila and PGCruiser, and for the quick reply. I will try adding the extra protein and see if that helps, and will make it a priority to get my walking done each day as well as using the exercise ball and free weights. (I did take one of my dogs for a half mile walk this morning, but it got too hot to go any further or to take the others who are elderly. I'll be hitting the treadmill shortly.)

Did you try adding the Metamusil before eating a meal? If so, did the extra fiber help with weight loss?

PGCruiser, have fun on your next cruise. Where are you going?

My next cruise is in 45 days (Canada/New England). I've put off buying some new slacks hoping I'll be able to wear a smaller size. While the scale hasn't shown much change I do feel that my tummy and thighs feel smaller.

Any hints you can think to pass on to this newbie will be greatly appreciated.
Shae

Phase 1
Makes 6 cups

4 ounces turkey sausage or crumbled turkey bacon
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
5 large eggs
1 can 12 ounces drained mushrooms (sliced)
1/2 cup 2 ounces of shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese

Preheat ov 350. Coat a 6 cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups. ( I line with the cups

In medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage, pepper and onion for 5 minutes or until susage is no longer pink. Spoon the mixture into a bowl and cool slightly. Stir in the eggs and mushrooms. Evenly divide the mixture amon the prepared muffin cups. Sprinke with the cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until egg is set.

Nutritional Information
140 calories
9 total fat (3 g sat)
195 mg cholesterol
4 g carbohydrate
12 g protein
1 g fiber
400 mg sodium

1cruise2u- those egg muffins are great for camping! We love them with turkey chorizo, jack cheese and green chillies.

Hi all- I'm in such a good mood. Down another 1/2 for a total of 6 this week. :D Let's hope I can keep my head over the holiday weekend and maintain that! We have game night tonight, eating out tomorrow night and a family bbq on Sunday. I'm making vegan chili and a low carb cheese cake for tonight so I should be ok and Sunday I'm taking veggies, hummus and low carb key lime pie (unless that cheese cake calls to me again!)

Today's goals
am-egg white omlet with mushrooms and 2%cheese
lunch- lunchmeat roll ups
snack- sf yogurt or low carb bar
dinner vegan chili (also low carb/ low fat)
snack- low carb cheese cake.
Exercise- I have a million things to do today so I'm just shooting for 10,000 steps.

[QUOTE]Did you try adding the Metamusil before eating a meal? If so, did the extra fiber help with weight loss?[/QUOTE]
Shae, I did try adding the Metamusil before eating a meal and I was so full from it, I could barely eat. It definitely helps control your portions. I only tried it for one meal though so I can't say if it helped with my weight loss this week; however, I did lose 4 lbs! :D

1Cruise2U, that recipe sounds great! I will definitely give it a try! I'm addicted to crepes right now so when I get tired of them, I'll bake these. Thanks! :)

Hi folks...all of you are so encouraging! Still plugging away at the weight loss...am now in sight of my final goal (6 pounds to go!). Found a GREAT pizza by accident in the Organic section at the supermarket. It's called Amy's Pizza. Made with organic wheat flour, oat bran and wheat germ for the crust...no processed white flour at all! And you can't taste the difference! Topping selections are good too! My favorite is the Veggie combo...tomatoes, onions, yellow bell peppers, mushrooms, black olives, artichokes. 1/3 of a pizza is 290 cal. Carbs are 36g...but remember...[b]there's no processed flour[/b]. :D A wonderful treat and a quick meal along with a salad.

Loved the egg cup recipe! Found a great recipe book for low carb meals in the crock pot... "Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipes"...Better Homes and Gardens. Crock pot dinners free up so much time in the evening!

Hoping to shed those last 6 pounds before Nov. 7 cruise (Oosterdam).
CP

Hi everyone:

I'm semi-new to South Beach -- I've had the book for a while, and have tried several of the recipes but haven't actually committed to the diet. Well, our cruise is just about a month away and I really need to do something NOW. I plan to start Phase I on Labor Day. I don't have much to lose, maybe 10 - 15 pounds, so I know my progress will be slow and I'll have to really concentrate on exercise as well as diet. I just hope I have patience! It's nice, though, to see so much encouragement from everyone on this board. And, to top it off, my DH (who doesn't really need to lose weight) is going on the diet with me for support. Bless his heart.

Take care everyone, I'll be checking in pretty often starting Monday!

Have a fun and safe holiday. Prayers for those in Frances' path.

Elly
Newark, Delaware

Hi all,

Too busy at work to even read this great thread.

Weirdeyes, hope you are over the salted margarita shot. I sympathyze with you for just having a needle stuck in your back is hard enough. If there is a weight gain, it's just like a balloon inflating. You deflate just as fast so don't worry.

Adoptmom, you are winning the sabotage game husbands and mother in laws are so famous for. That was the only way to handle the meal without blowing it both with temper and diet wise. Can you fill me in on the low carb cheese cake, please?

Ladies, I have a friend who did the following: she stayed on phase one for 4 weeks and lost all her weight (10 to 15# is all she said she has to lose), then went straight to phase 3. What do think of that?

HELP:
What is an approved bar on this South Beach program? I need something that I can pack up with me for 16 hour work days where I will not have the time to fix a brown bag lunch or dinner. This is the hardest part of the program. The only foods available with be what is usually served at a convention hall and I don't think there is anything legal to eat, there.

later, j.

[quote name='estj']Hi folks...all of you are so encouraging! Still plugging away at the weight loss...am now in sight of my final goal (6 pounds to go!). Found a GREAT pizza by accident in the Organic section at the supermarket. It's called Amy's Pizza. Made with organic wheat flour, oat bran and wheat germ for the crust...no processed white flour at all! And you can't taste the difference! Topping selections are good too! My favorite is the Veggie combo...tomatoes, onions, yellow bell peppers, mushrooms, black olives, artichokes. 1/3 of a pizza is 290 cal. Carbs are 36g...but remember...[b]there's no processed flour[/b]. :D A wonderful treat and a quick meal along with a salad.

Loved the egg cup recipe! Found a great recipe book for low carb meals in the crock pot... "Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipes"...Better Homes and Gardens. Crock pot dinners free up so much time in the evening!

Hoping to shed those last 6 pounds before Nov. 7 cruise (Oosterdam).
CP[/QUOTE]

CP- there are several good products from Amy's including macaroni and cheese. I can't say how the carb count is but we use them often because I have a little one with food allergies.

Here's a great crock pot recipe that I've posted before for Tomato bean pot soup. Once warning though, if you don't have a can opener you can't make it! :D

2 cans of chickpeas or any kind of beans
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 cup of celery chopped
1/2 cup onion chopped
1 Tbls cheap yellow mustard
1 Tbls pickle relish
1/4 C splenda
2 Tbls brown sugar (can substitute sugar twin or 1 T black strap molassas)
1 Cup water

Just dump everything in the crock pot and let it go.

Tami

J- you mean the low carb cheese cake I'm having for breakfast??? :eek: Of course. It's from Low Carb and Lovin' it on [url]www.foodnetwork.com[/url]. It's copyrighted so I can't really print it out here but George has a ton of great recipes on the site and I've tried alot of them. I've served low carb cheese cake at several functions and no one knew.

Well, I gained back half a pound after last night but I ate only low carb foods. I had veggies and hummus for snack, low carb-vegan chili, and low carb cheese cake for dessert. Honestly I think that part of the reason I gained is because we ate so late. I'm used to eating dinner before 5pm due to DH's work schedule but it was almost 7:30 before we even started.

I'm proud though! One of the families brought a whole crock pot of fresh cut corn and it smelled so good, but I didn't even taste it. :cool: One party down one to go.

Today's goals:

We're going to Indy to shop today so my goal is to not screw up! :rolleyes:

Tami

Hi, everybody,

I knew this thread was going to be a tremendous help. You all are going to make it so much easier for me to keep a good attitude. I have to admit I was a little discourage with only a 2 pound loss the first 5 days. Understanding why the slower start sure helps, plus I realize I do need to count the 3 pounds I lost pre-South Beach. I am down another pound today, but best of all I feel so much better. I realized today how much better I'm sleeping at night. None of that insomnia that had plagued me for the past couple of months.

It also occurred to me that I'm actually enjoying cooking again. Earlier this summer it was just a chore. Now I feel the urge to get creative with what's allowed during Phase 1. I can't wait to try some of your recipes. Also, I picked up a copy of the South Beach Cookbook yesterday and got some new ideas.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend and that those in Florida stay safe.
Shae

Hi all,

hopefully everyone is safe and sound. I haven't seen the news yet today so Don't know what Frances is up to.

I did really well today with my shopping and eating out. Tried a few samples but only one with pasta. They were sampling a thai peanut sauce I'd been wavering on. Glad I tried it. :p Yuck! There is such a thing as too much lemon grass. It tasted like pledge! (don't ask how I know, just go with it! :D )

Anyway I had pulled chicken with some BBQ sauce and jalapenos and a side of turnip greens. Hopefully I'll be back on the downward trend tomorrow.

Tami

Hello all:

How is everyone holding up, this holiday weekend?

Adoptmom you had a low carb bar for breakfast, what kind was it? I checked the site for the low carb cheesecake and found that George has 2 of them: new york and key lime. They are both made with high fat ingredients. I presume that you substitute for the low fat items.

Well, today I am going to give the SBD membership a try because this will be a long term project so I need all the help I can get, especially with a DH who insists on going high fat. He eats 60 carbs a day.

and yes, the sight of eggs is getting disgusting, real fast. I can still stand the whites but not the yolks. A dab of Marie's Ceasar Salad dressing helps forget that you are eating eggs.

later, j

[quote name='Fighterone']Hello all:

How is everyone holding up, this holiday weekend?

Adoptmom you had a low carb bar for breakfast, what kind was it? I checked the site for the low carb cheesecake and found that George has 2 of them: new york and key lime. They are both made with high fat ingredients. I presume that you substitute for the low fat items.

Well, today I am going to give the SBD membership a try because this will be a long term project so I need all the help I can get, especially with a DH who insists on going high fat. He eats 60 carbs a day.

and yes, the sight of eggs is getting disgusting, real fast. I can still stand the whites but not the yolks. A dab of Marie's Ceasar Salad dressing helps forget that you are eating eggs.

later, j[/QUOTE]

J- I generally will eat carb solutions bars. They taste decent and since I really like sweet stuff in the morning they let me have that without throwing me off too much. As for eggs, when I do have them I've been spoiling myself lately. We moved our chickens so now they aren't laying at the moment so I've been buying myself a carton of just egg whites. I also keep mushrooms precooked in the fridge.

I've now officially made both of george's cheese cakes. I made the baked one Friday and it always goes over well. For today's party I made the key lime although I went to 2 grocery stores and they didn't have lime juice of any sort. :mad: Anyway, I made lemonade pie (with lemon juice) instead and it's great! In fact I'm eating some of the leftover filling for breakfast. :D

I do use lowfat products as long as they don't have more than 2 more carbs per serving than the regular version. (My WOE is between atkins and SB) However, you can't use fat free. It makes the cheese cake rubbery and funky.

Well, keep us posted on how the SBD membership is going. I've thought about it many times but decided I'd rather spend the money on skiing or a massage. :D (Of course I think that everytime I have to go buy cleaning supplies too!)

Tami

Well, I got up this morning, expecting to have lost the half pound I gained after Friday's party but I'm up another half! :mad: Then I got to thinking and counting on the calendar and it's that time again! TOM is always good for 3-5 pounds of water. Oh well, I'm still down 5 for the week.

I have another party tonight but I'm going well prepared. I have a veggie tray and hummus and low carb Lemonade pie to take. I figure ifI have a hamburger patty, veggies and my pie I should be satisfied but still ok.

Tami

Archived