What is there to do in the evening??

my4guys

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that most everything closes down around 5 in the evening. We will be going to Bermuda on October 17 & 18. Is there anything that anyone could recommend to do in the evening?? TIA!!:D

Thanks so much! We will be docking in Kings Wharf. I am thinking of doing the "don't stop the party" thing. It is my husband, I and our 3 sons (12,9 and 6) Any ideas you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!:)

Hi:

Thanks for responding.

As on FYI... the water is cooler in Bermuda so if you don't mind cooler temperatures to swim/snorkel in then you're fine. I like the warm water and when I was there at the end of September one year.. it took a long time to get in. :D

The bulk of the time my DH/I go on our own since excursions are getting too expensive. We use the public transportation system (bus/ferry) to get around the island which is wonderful. Never had a problem and we've been to Bermuda four times. We took two snorkeling trips but it was in July and the water was perfect. Haven't done an excursion since.

There's not much to do at KW at night. The Frog & Onion Pub is open so you'll see a lot of passengers/crew there. KW is nice to walk around at night (main street) and you can get some nice pictures of the ship. Other than that there's nothing to do. Usually DH/I will take a walk after dinner and head back on the ship since there's some entertainment going on that we're interested in.

If you have any other questions please ask and I'll do what I can to help you. What cruise line/ship will you be on?

Thanks Trish! We are going on RCL Explorer of the Seas. This is our very first cruise anywhere. We are very excited. I HAD planned on doing the Hartley Undersea walk but I'm not sure yet. I was concerned about the cooler water temps. I am thinking that since we really only have about a day and a half there that maybe we should just do some shopping and site seeing. Have you done the "don't stop the party carnival"? I am trying to figure out if it would be worth the $. I have a feeling my kids would enjoy it. :)

Hi There:

You're going to love your first cruise. I was on Voyager (sister ship to Explorer) and it was awesome. The ship is huge, lots to do and is fantastic. Loved it so much we went on it twice last year. Your kids will enjoy it as well since there's so many things to do. I heard many great things about the kids programs so definitely check into that.

Make sure all of you go to the ice skating show. If you get some adult time go to The Quest. It's a riot but not suited for kids.

I never been on that excursion you are talking about. I've only done two snorkeling excursions but that was in July when the water was warm. You could do a search, review the Bermuda thread more or start a new thread.

The water will be much cooler and when we were in Bermuda last year we just toured on our own.

Here's a suggestion for all of you to do.

Take the bus from King's Wharf to Horseshoe Bay Beach. There's a little cove to the right of the main beach. If you want some beach time this is the place to go. Facilities are there with showers, snack bar, chair/umbrella rentals (not cheap) and a mini shop for those forgotten items. Take a walk along the main beach to the other side. Many coves are there and most likely the kids would get a kick out of it as well.

Then take the bus to Hamilton for lunch and some shopping. Hamilton is a great city and nice to walk around. The Cathedral is a beautiful and the architecture inside is amazing.

Some popular places for lunch is Flanagan's (our favorite) and Hog Penny. We love Flanagan's since you can sit outside on the balcony and get a great view of Hamilton Harbor if no other ships are in port. Also it's fun to watch the people drive around on the scooters. If you like beer try a Kilkenny. Food is good as well. Nothing is cheap in Bermuda so don't expect any deals.

Once your done you can take the ferry back to King's Wharf. If you have extra time, take the scenic route back to the ship. It makes several stops and the coves are really pretty.

You can purchase bus/ferry tickets on the ship which will save you a lot of time. The all day tickets are the cheapest.

Below are some links to help you out.

Ferry Schedule/Fares:

http://www.seaexpress.bm

Flanagan's:

http://www.bermuda.com/dining/casualdining/flanagans_casual_dining.php

Hog Penny Pub:

http://www.hogpennypub.com/index2.html

The bus company had their own website but for some reason it's down. You can obtain a schedule of the bus/ferry on the ship so make sure you take it with you.

If you decide to take the bus to the beach/Hamilton, inform the driver where you're going and also ask what time to get the bus from the beach to Hamilton.

Some sites on Explorer (pictures):

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/photoalbums/explorer2001/explorer.html

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipDetailsPublicAreasPhotos.do;jsessionid=27288A0009055C59831508B23DB7AB71.p0336?pagerIndex=0&resultsIndex=8&shipId=105&deckId=

Ocean lab on Explorer (kids might love this):

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/rccl/

If you have anymore questions please let me know. I'll be going to Bermuda in mid-September and can't wait to go. Also going on our first B2B cruise on Explorer. It's going to be a blast.

Hope I was able to help you out with other ideas. Anymore questions please ask and I'll do what I can to assist you.

You are correct, most businesses close at 5pm (sometimes 6pm), pretty much the only things open in the evenings are restaurants, bars and clubs. There is at least one company that does a sunset catamaran cruise at 6pm, and there are always things to do on your own. Visiting the beach in the late afternoon to early evening is nice because it’s less busy and the sun is less harsh.

I don’t want to break any forum rules but if you come on the Undersea Walk we have wetsuits, hot chocolate and a hot water shower!

Starlake ~ Glad to help out.. that's why we're all here. Bermuda is absolutely beautiful and if you decide to take the ferry out of Hamilton back to King's Wharf, check out the homes on the waterfront. Enjoy your cruise and have a wonderful time in Bermuda.

Pleiades ~ Where is the Undersea Walk? Can you get there via bus? What is your opinion of Jobson's Cove? DH/I are thinking of going there in September since we've been to Horseshoe Bay Beach twice.

I’ve been to Jobson’s Cove several times, and I think it’s a great place, it changed a bit in the last hurricane, but it is still secluded and protected form the waves.

Forum rules prevent me from posting my tour location, but I will say we have several departure points, both are close to the bus and ferry routes, and are in the western end of the island, near the Village of Somerset and Dockyard.

Pleiades ~ Thanks so much for your input on Jobson's Cove. DH/I would like to go somewhere different on our cruise in September. I also heard Jobson's Cove and the surrounding area is great for pictures. I'm a picture nut and ever since DH bought a digital camera, I go into overload with taking pictures. How far of a walk is it from the bus stop to Jobson's Cove and is it clearly marked? I believe we would have to get off by Warwick Beach and then walk over. Please let me know what's the best way to get there.

I completely understand that you're not able to indicate where your located. I don't want either one of us to break CC rules or get in trouble for it. Most likely I'll be able to find it.

Another Bermuda question if you don't mind.... I'm interested in going horseback riding on the beach and checked out Spicelands on the web. How are they and do you know how long the trail rides are? Also, can the bus drop you off there? I ride, my husband doesn't, so I'm still thinking this over. I sent two emails to Spicelands and never obtained a response. If you can help me that would be great. If not, no problem.

Thanks again for your response, it's greatly appreciated!

I’ve just realized I’ve posted our departure points in the past, before I knew read the rules, the moderators let it slide, but I’m not repeating the mistake; you should be able to find plenty of info by searching here.

Wow, all this time, my memory of Jobson’s Cove said it was next to Horseshoe bay, but the beach near horseshow is Port Royal Cove, Jobson’s Cove is next to Warwick long bay like you said. This seems to be a common misconception. Regardless, I’ve been to both and I clearly remember the real Jobson’s Cove as being a fantastic little place. It’s a couple minutes from the bus stop to the beach, you can ask the bus driver to announce the Warwick long bay stop for you.

My sister used to work as a trail guide at Spicelands and she tells me the ride is about an hour, and the trail itself is beautiful. I’ve been on the ride myself, as well as a couple in Florida; there’s no comparison. The horses are fairly docile, and are suitable for inexperienced riders; your husband should be fine. I don’t know if it applies, but I believe there is a 250lb weight limit.

My sister told me to remind you that if you want a ride on the beach itself, you will only be able to have it during the off-season from the beginning of October to the end of May the next year. This is because it is not permitted to ride horses on the beach during the summer, due to complaints from beachgoers. In the summer, the trail follows some paths behind the beach; you’ll still be able to see it and the water in places, just not ride on it.

i was in bermuda last august and am returning this june. when we were there we went to (i think ) horseshoe....is this the beach that's near the FAIRMONT PRINCESS HOTEL? i remember that we went to a place near a tennis court and rode to the hotel by jitney and then took a cab from the hotel. THAT beach was awesome. was it horseshoe?

Tonyo ~ More than happy to help. I can't wait to go back to Bermuda. I love it there.

Pleiades ~ Thanks so much for your response and helping me out with my questions. I can't wait to go to Jobson's Cove/Warwick Long Bay. Please thank your sister for her input on Spicelands.

Lets Party,

Do you have any favorite resturants for dinner? We were thinking of Coconuts while in Bermuda in July. We like upscale, but was really trying to avoid my husband wearing a jacket... We also like outside dining and thought it might be too hot, en route with a jacket on... I think I read that the Carriage House does require jackets.

This also is our first visit to Bermuda. Cant wait!

Smoothdancer:

You will love Bermuda. It's a beautiful island and the people are wonderful.

DH/I will eat dinner on the ship so I really can't help you with dinner suggestions. Very sorry about that. Maybe someone on the thread can answer your question or maybe start a new thread for ideas.

Wish I could help you more in that area.

Have a fantastic time in Bermuda and enjoy your cruise!

was at coconuts last august and my DH was not wearing a jacket. he wore a pair of khakis and a shirt... i wore black jersey capris with a crisp white blouse and black sandals.

we made reservations a month before we went and all i can say is that it is an awesome place. you can't beat the location and the food was excellent.

the tables are actually on a deck on the beach. it is covered on top but completely open on the sides. if you plan it right you will see the most amazing sunset from there. well worth it.

on another subject.....my son lives in wallingford. he's renting a condo. he is graduating from quinnipiac in 2 weeks.

Archived