English Jane

Just back from Southampton

I spent today on the Freedom having 'blagged' a place on the media tour.

The most memorable part of the day was eating a lavish lunch in the Windjammer while every sailing boat, pleasure cruiser and jet ski in the area came sprinting up the solent to have a closer look.

I loved the 'Olive or Twist' Viking Crown lounge. The styling in there is beautiful, especially the large glass millefiore balls that top the dividing panels; they look like coral reefs inside.

The design theme for the ship in the 4 elements - you can pick up this theme everywhere such as large crystal geodes.

Personally, I found the H2O area a bit naff - but there are lots and lots of other places to be.

The presidential suite is gorgeous - as expected.

Each member of my family received a lovely gift - a leather and silver luggage tag enscribed with RCCL, Freedom, Southampton and the date (judging by the box, Links of London).

If you have any unanswered questions, I'll be happy to reply. I've taken lots of pictures - i'll add them this evening (I've only just got back and I need a cup of tea).

Jane

x

Jane ~~

Thank you for your post, and I am looking forward to seeing your photos.

I don't understand what "naff" means; would you kindly explain?

Leslie in NYC

Jane ~~

Thank you for your post, and I am looking forward to seeing your photos.

I don't understand what "naff" means; would you kindly explain?

Leslie in NYC

Lol... your the second person thats asked that (check on RCCL board)....

Naff is a british term that means "not that good, tacky, waste of space"

naff (adjective) Entirely unrelated to the previous word, it seems to have slipped into general use at the end of the 1960s, almost certainly as an adaptation of several regional words of similar sound meaning 'inconsequential, stupid; unpleasant, objectionable'. Since then it has been a vogue word, especially among the young. In a column in the Spectator in 1989, Peregrine Worsthorne, after consulting two young girls about the meaning of the word, expressed it like this: 'As far as I can gather, anything pretentious or flashy is naff. Thus a pink Deux Chevaux is naff. Or a plastic Swatch watch. So, is the word a fashionable synonym for vulgar? Not quite, since London taxi drivers, it seems, can often be heard describing a piece of bad driving as naff. All classes use the word, shop girls as much as debutantes. In that respect it is not at all a repeat of the U and non-U nonsense, although an element of snobbery is not altogether absent. For example, the girls definitely think that fish knives are naff, at any rate when used for fish cakes.'

The New Fowler's Modern English Usage, © Oxford University Press 1968

Naff (verb) This euphemistic substitution for **** is most frequently used with off in the imperative phrase naff off! 'go away!' It seems to have first appeared in print in Keith Waterhouse's novel Billy Liar (1959), and Waterhouse himself insists that it was originally conscript talk as an acronym of 'nasty, awful, **** it'. Other suggestions have been made, and the matter remains unresolved. What is not disputed, however, is that naff off! was brought into common currency by Princess Anne in 1982 when she told some persistent photographers to naff off.

The New Fowler's Modern English Usage, © Oxford University Press 1968

I meant the first of these!

Jane

x

It was suggested that I post on the above board - please see definition of 'naff there. I'll add my photos to that thread also so as to not be double posting.

Jane

x

Hahahahaha Jane.....you know the next question....what is a plonker?? hahah.....hey dont worry I know what it means :D I am thinking you really do need a second cuppa after your exciting day .

The "naff" bit is the only part of the ship from what I have seen on the pics that doesnt impress me....but hey I guess it is after all for the kids :D

What did you think of the rest of the ship?

I am counting the days till we get on her....188 to go :D I love the big ships.

Looking forward to reading all about the Freedom from you.....hey maybe you need a jaffa cake or something with that cuppa ;)

Liz

WYWH Cruiser

For those of you that are not English- Naff is generally used as an adjective,to describe something that is tasteless.

Actually that's what I think about the OP who admits to "blagging" her way onboard a cruise (ie obtain something for nothing by fooling people you are dealing with)and then criticises what is an innovative and fun waterpark for kids.:(

I'm afraid it was probably not designed to please the very superior tastes of the British media- and we all know how "naff" they really are- but more likely for a specific clientele.... KIDS!

Naff can also be used as a verb- as in "Naff off"- in that instance it replaces a more vulgar expletive.

signed English Eileen

(She who can't wait to sail onboard the Freedom of the Seas)

She was just stating her opinion on the H20 park. Nothing wrong with that, she didn't say that she would rather it not be there for the kids. Mabey some kids would probally find it naff. I even find it a bit tacky but hey, it serves its purpose. Some people find the Royal Promenade naff, is there anything wrong with that?

Also if you would like to see how this poster "blagged her way onto the tour" please see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=311049 and look at reply 14. Nothing wrong with that is there? Just an honest email. Wish id done the same thing

She has been nice enough to share her opinion of this Beautiful new ship (and hopefully some pics. too ;))

Hi Liz,

You'll definately have a fabulous time. I think we counted 19 bars and 11 places to eat - but I certainly could have missed a few.

On the subject of biccies - the caramel cookies in the coffee shop on the promenade were spectacular!

Faithwins - thank you for your support - I will wear it always.