Freedom D1 cabin Warning!!

It seems that the D1 cabins have a big question as to if they can accommodate 3 people or not. We were moved out of 9340 which clearly states on every deckplan it has a sofa bed but it doesn't. All hump D1's only accommodate 2 people so if your in one with 3 you too will be moved if you haven't already. Sure us displaced passengers maybe moving others that are in cabins that do hold 3 or more but are sitting on a reservation of 2. We were moved to 9526 which is the 7th cabin from the front of the ship, not an ideal change to say the least. My parents & sister bothe have hump cabins but they were not moved since they only have 2 in each cabin, long walk to see them now. This is so disappointing.

Check your reservations, mine was changed 2 days ago.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Boy that STINKS!!! I guess the deck plans are wrong because it clearly states that they can accomodate 3 people. This is the exact cabin I was looking at for the 3 of us for next year. So sorry about this, I know you must be very disappointed. Wanda

Everyone, this should serve as a reminder to check your cabin descriptions carefully.

I just double checked the descriptions and the D1s are listed as:

"Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), sitting area (some with sofa bed), private balcony and private bathroom. Rates vary from deck to deck. (189 sq. ft., balcony 68 sq. ft.) "

So, you always have to watch out for the "some with sofa bed" item if you want a room with one.

My question is, even if you picked a certain cabin, if that cabin cannot hold the amount of people you have listed, then it should have bounced back. Why didn't that happen?

My question is, even if you picked a certain cabin, if that cabin cannot hold the amount of people you have listed, then it should have bounced back. Why didn't that happen?

My thought exactly and just finished writing a letter to Royal about the very thing. You don't build a house not knowing where your going to put the dishwasher, you have plans & drawings!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Everyone, this should serve as a reminder to check your cabin descriptions carefully.

I just double checked the descriptions and the D1s are listed as:

"Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), sitting area (some with sofa bed), private balcony and private bathroom. Rates vary from deck to deck. (189 sq. ft., balcony 68 sq. ft.) "

So, you always have to watch out for the "some with sofa bed" item if you want a room with one.

Pull up there deck plans right now, it shows it has a sofa bed plain as day. None of the D1's on the hump have a sofa even though it has a triangle on the deck plans. My TA checked 9614 & 9606 and those are not for 3 either despite all of them having the triangle indicating they have a sofa bed.

BonVoyage

Dawna

So the two corner afts deck 10 won't hold three? I was hoping to book either one of these when the new rates come out tomorrow.

Not sure and not sure who to believe either. Some D1's do hold 3, only two I know of from my hour long conservation this morning is 9602 & 9526. Problem is most, not all but most d1's indicate they have a sofa bed. We booked online so it should have rejected the booking but at the same time the deckplans still show it has a sofa bed. Cruiseline did say 9340, 9342, 9640, 9642, 9614, 9606 can't hold 3 even though the system lets you book them with 3 and the deck plans show a sofa bed.

BonVoyage

Dawna

So the two corner afts deck 10 won't hold three? I was hoping to book either one of these when the new rates come out tomorrow.

Have you seen the pictures of these cabins online? Look close at the couch. The cushions seem to wrap all the way around to the ground? http://community.webshots.com/album/549895039TdGWPq

BonVoyage

Dawna

PS: How's Green Valley, grown i'm sure. We lived in Rio Rico 13 years ago.

Dawna,

That looks like a great corner. I wish mine were like that but I suspect it will just be normal. I hope we get to keep it! It says it holds three and we could lose it if they're shuffling. Of course, who knows if it truly holds three...

Have you seen the pictures of these cabins online? Look close at the couch. The cushions seem to wrap all the way around to the ground? http://community.webshots.com/album/549895039TdGWPq

BonVoyage

Dawna

PS: How's Green Valley, grown i'm sure. We lived in Rio Rico 13 years ago.

Thanks for the link! I hope it can hold three! We are hooked on the aft. I am weondering if that is one of those fold done couches? They don't actually have a sofa bed but they turn into a make shift bed???

We actually live in Sahuarita but on our zip says Green Valley. If you lived here 13 years ago you would probably not recognize it now. I used to live in Mesa and in passing between Mesa and Nogales there would hardly be anything. And that was 12 years ago. Things in general in Arizona have "grown". My husband is prior military so we left the state for about 6 years and we we returned we were shocked!

I can't believe I am the only one effected by this on these boards. There are about 14 cruises or so before ours. Is my TA pulling my chain or is it fact. Would love to know asap.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Don't forget that these boards account for a VERY SMALL percentage of rci cruisers.

Did you find out by looking at your reservation online? If you did maybe it is something that you just happened to catch and others haven't yet. Din't you say too, that you spent a hour on the phone with rci? They would probably know more then your TA.

Did you find out by looking at your reservation online? If you did maybe it is something that you just happened to catch and others haven't yet. Din't you say too, that you spent a hour on the phone with rci? They would probably know more then your TA.

I did notice the change online and called Crown & Anchor first. They said the reservation had been changed on 4/27 by customer service and not my TA. She couldn't change anything and said customer service would not talk with me since I have a TA (which I knew already). So unfortunately I spent an hour on hold while my TA was on the phone with them.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Thanks to all of those that listened to me rant & rave yesterday. Things could be worse, I could be not going on the cruise at all :D Another bright side is better to find out now then when I boarded!!

Of my post one other person noticed their second cabin had been changed but it wasn't a D1. Gonna see what the TA has to say in a few days. They are waiting for Royal to start selling the cabin again so he can look up more information. Rates for 2007/2008 are suppose to hit today but have not seen them yet.

Again Thanks for Listening!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Don't forget that these boards account for a VERY SMALL percentage of rci cruisers.

That's true but we represent the top end of detail-oriented cruisers. I am also surprised that Dawna is the only one affected, since she's always on top of things. I wonder if her TA forgot to return a phone call or something like that.

Be aware, the one of two cabins I have booked for my husband and kids on the Freedom, has been bumped to 7 decks below. When I purposely booked it in the year 2005 (when you could first make your reservations for the Freedom). This room is very close to our room. Isn't that a kick in the butt since we paid our final balance as of 6 days ago. I have printed confirmations with this cabin along with my name on it and it just gets taken away with no phone call or explanation. I called RC and the reservationsist from RC could not help me, he put me to customer services. Since its after 10pm they said he could not find the answer for me now, that he will call me back tomorrow afternoon. I won't be able to sleep tonight thats for sure. EVERYONE KEEP CHECKING YOUR RESERVATIONS - YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT COULD HAPPEN!!!!!

We booked an E1 Corner which was right across from an L cabin. Now they are telling me the L cabin can't hold more than 2 when the deck plans shows the symbol for the stateroom to be able to hold 4. I'm not having my kids away from us. No way.

Well, this will always be one of the problems with booking a ship before it is even built. Who knows why the cabin configurations came out differently, but they did. It probably wasn't to screw with everyone (think of how much extra work this makes for them...let alone peeved customers!)

Hopefully, it will all get worked out, yet these are the kinds of things that can happen when booking an unknown.

Tracy

Well, this will always be one of the problems with booking a ship before it is even built. Who knows why the cabin configurations came out differently, but they did. It probably wasn't to screw with everyone (think of how much extra work this makes for them...let alone peeved customers!)

Hopefully, it will all get worked out, yet these are the kinds of things that can happen when booking an unknown.

Tracy

Got a point but at the same time don't they know what they are building? When you watch the Voyager being built they comment how the measurements cant be even an inch off or the ship won't go together. They managed to get that right but can't figure out how many sofa beds they need to order vs regular couches? :D That being said my TA said they had the same issue with the Voyager and scrambled to move people around once it was sailing. We are booking the unknown but I figured the unknown would more like a weird smell on deck 4, walls thin as paper or plastic wal-mart chairs on the balcony. Remember these cabins are all prefabbed and they put them together like Lego's. Looks like Johnny put the wrong color blocks on the hump, hehe.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out in the end.

BonVoyage

Dawna

It will be interesting to see how this all works out in the end.

Yes it will! Please DO keep us posted.

Heavens knows why things got shifted. I am sure there are a million reasons. I used to design office space for a living, and I tell you...it's hard to predict how and why you might need to make changes on the fly.

It would seem that if there was space for a sofa bed, it would be easier to put one there rather than move everyone's reservations around and anger people.

One scenario I can think of, as a hypothetical....Maybe the order came in wrong from the sofa-bed manufacturers and they had to make a call between taking what they had and making it work....or delaying the launch altogether while they get redone. Imagine having to make a decision like that...'tis a tough call.

These are the kinds of things that can and do happen when undergoing projects of this magnitude. We'll probably never know what really happened here.

I do hope that things get worked out for you and your family!!

Tracy

Here is a kicker, just called customer service and said I was interested in booking the Freedom and asked how many 9340 could accommodate and she said 6, yes I said 6!! Never heard of any cabin that wasn't a suite holding 6. I said but it's a D1 and she said yes she knew. Oh My.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Here is a kicker, just called customer service and said I was interested in booking the Freedom and asked how many 9340 could accommodate and she said 6, yes I said 6!! Never heard of any cabin that wasn't a suite holding 6. I said but it's a D1 and she said yes she knew. Oh My.

BonVoyage

Dawna

So, two people in beds, two in the sofa bed and two pullmans? That seems tight, especically for bathroom time and clothes storage! YIKES:eek:

We were on the hump cabin 9320 on the Mariner last year. It had a sofa bed that slept two people. Was thinking about an aft corner in the future that is listes as a quad (1700 or 1400).

I hope the displaced folks still enjoy their cruise!

Jacquelyn :D

Archived