Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cruisernurse

Marc's tour is still number one

Really, the picnic was great and a lot of fun, but if you're not into heavy drinking and shenanigans (I found a reason to say "shenanigans" today), it might not be your cup of tea.

Appreciate your honest opinion.... shenanigans and heavy drinking aren't my cup of tea either .... any other recommendations for the day on Huahine? (I'm still in the early stages of preparation so haven't checked out all of the possibilities yet.)

thanks!

The heavy drinking and shenanigans must depend on the group that day. When we went in January, we had a very laid back group of folks. During the picnic, we listened to the music and just hung out in the water. It was very relaxing. Beer was available, but nobody was drinking heavily and nobody was drunk. Folks were drinking just as much fruit juice as anything else. I guess we were lucky that day - but it really must depend on the group because I didn't observe Marc encourage folks to over imbibe or anything else.

Huahine is a very lovely island and Marc's tour won't float everybody's boat. You might want to check out the various Tahiti websites and see what else is available on Huahine. When we were there, we didn't notice a lot of vendors at the "dock" waiting for folks who didn't have pre-arranged trips so it might be best to arrange something in advance. You might also want to check out the Princess excursions for that day.

Whatever you decide to do, we hope you have a great time.

Hi,

Marks Motu Picnic sounds GREAT! My main concern is that DH cannot

swim....would this be a problem? Does the boat come in close enough

to shore so that he wouldn't have a problem???

Non-swimmers should still be able to enjoy Marc's tour. I would recommend that you do the 4X4 tour followed by the picnic. The first half of the day is by jeep and you visit various places on the island including the sacred eels. After you are done with that part, you will go to the dock where they will take you by outrigger (motorized) to the motu picnic. The outrigger gets very close to land (maybe 30 feet or so) and the water is very shallow with a soft sandy bottom. I'm short and the water came up to around my knees. You can also stay in the outrigger with Marc during the drift snorkel. One of the women who had back problems did that and she had a great time with Marc discussing the island, life on Huahine, etc. The water at the motu picnic gets deeper very gradually and a non-swimmer will definitely be able to enjoy the day.

When you are at the motu picnic is the water shallow enough that you can keep your digital camera with you in a plastic bag and lay it on your table or are you taking chances? Maybe an underwater would be better or just plain disposable? Thanks.

When you are at the motu picnic is the water shallow enough that you can keep your digital camera with you in a plastic bag and lay it on your table or are you taking chances? Maybe an underwater would be better or just plain disposable? Thanks.

Yes, I put mine in a ziploc and took it over to the table. The water is about knee deep when you exit the canoe. My underwater camera didn't do well with above the water pictures, they all came back a little blurry due to the salt water. If I didn't want to take my digital, I'd just buy a separate disposable.

And, for the record, in my opinion, this is not a booze cruise type excursion. There are Hinanos and Rum Punch served, but as southwestgal says, our tour had roughly 30 people of varying ages and I didn't see anyone drinking heavily. Definitely more of an R&R type excursion, though I can see how it wouldn't be as enjoyable in the rain - some things just are beyond your control.

We were also on the same trip with Mark as LuAnn and SaveMeJebus. It really was a bit of a miserable trip with all the rain. Our group was also of all ages with my 16 year old daughter being the youngest up to one couple in their early 70's.

Have a feeling that the drinking part wouldn't have been so much had we had sun, sat out in the water rather than being on the beach, and just been able to relax. The rum punch and the Hinano's were definitely flowing freely and fast. We were so miserable and cold that they offered to take us back early so we could tender back to the ship. Because of that we missed a lot of the drinking, but it had started before we left. I think most of them had a good time, but if you weren't into it I can understand those not enjoying it at all. Not my idea of fun, but that is me also.

Mark did a great job considering the rain. Is it a must to do? I sincerely don't think so, but then in the sun it must be completely different. I'm not sure where we would have been to be in the water for the picnic, but it wasn't where we ended up at with the beach. Rain can be so frustrating.

Hulagirl

I can't swim either and I enjoyed Marc's picnic immensely. We did the 4x4 drive first, and the boat across to the motu stops just a couple of feet from the shore, so we were only ankle deep in water to get on to the beach. We were there the same day as LuAnn, Hulagirl and Savemejebus. It was cold and wet, and if they hadn't been so generous with the rum punch, we would really have been miserable. It warmed everybody up, and what started as a cold, wet unpleasant morning turned into a really fun afternoon. I would recommend it highly.

Hi Everyone,scubasmile.bmp

I've heard most people loved Marc's tour. It seems like most have done the 4X4, snorkel and picnic (tour 2). Has anyone done tour 1-

circle the island, snorkel picnic????? I'm trying to decide which one is better. Do you snorkel more on Tour 1??? Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Susan & Eric

We are taking tour 1 on 8/17, so will be able to tell you all about it once we get back from our cruise. But to answer your question, the reason why we decided to take tour 1 from Marc's, is that we LOVE to snorkel and you get lots of snorkeling time on this one (more than tour 2)

We did do the Tour 1, that was on the boat with the snorkeling. When you tender over from the ship, they meet you there with either the 4X4's or with their boat.

We got on the boat and went for a distance to a place out in front of a closed hotel. You are out a distance, but the water is shallow to a level just above your waist. This is the first area for snorkeling. You spend a good hour here and there are quite a few fish to see.

Then you go back towards the picnic area and not far before is where they have the drift snorkel. This seemed to be out in the middle of a pretty open area. Had no desire to get off the boat at this point, so some of us didn't. Not sure how much anyone saw that did though.

After this they just go over to the area where we had our picnic. I'm not sure if this was their normal area for the picnic or not.

Like I said above, the rum punch was flowing pretty quickly. It may have warmed up some, but that didn't thrill me as the way to do it. Even when I was young drinking games just seemed a bit stupid to me. Daughter couldn't warm up that way since she is too young to drink, so we were quite cold. Felt good to get back to the ship that day.

As long as you have some sun, you will really like the excursion.

Hulagirl

scubasmile.bmp

Thanks Fishman620 and hulagirl. We love to snorkel & dive too...Let us know how you liked tour1 when you get back Fishman 620.

Has anyone out there done both tours???

Susan & Eric

When I was in Huahine last time, it rained on our tour too. Still, drinking rum punch while standing in the water while in the rain still beats a good day at work! It's all what you make of it...and the fun CC people we were with helped too!!!:D

Love your snorkeler or is it snorkelor--whichever--very cute

Nancy:D

You go girl...we felt the same way...you get what you give..and we had a great!!!!! time! LuAnn

Hey Fishman620,

Have a great trip!!!!! You will have to give all of us a report when you get back. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan & Eric

Thanks Susan & Eric,

We just got back today from our wonderful trip, the waters and scenery are unbelievable! I will give a full trip report as soon as I can get my land legs back! We've been up for 24 hours traveling back from Tahiti. But just want to say that Marc's was everything that was hyped up about him, a definite "must do" excursionicon10.gif A great time was had by all on both tours that was offered, snorkeling and 4X4.

Thanks Susan & Eric,

We just got back today from our wonderful trip, the waters and scenery are unbelievable! I will give a full trip report as soon as I can get my land legs back! We've been up for 24 hours traveling back from Tahiti. But just want to say that Marc's was everything that was hyped up about him, a definite "must do" excursionicon10.gif A great time was had by all on both tours that was offered, snorkeling and 4X4.

Welcome home!!!! We are looking forward to your review!!!

Susan & Ericscubasmile.bmp