Vancouver Info if needed

OMG, Karen, you will LOVE Austin...it is such a fun little place...IMO, if you want soem authentic Texas Bar-B- Q...the place you want to look for is Iron Works BBQ...it is a small little place with terrific bbqand all the trimmins..not fancy by any means, just a funky little place with papertowel rolls on the table and serve your self drinks and yummy food! There is also a cute little kitchy place called Shady Grove this place is modeled after an old 1960 style mobil home park...the restrooms are in a converted airstream trailer! Will you have access to a car? There are some local shops also depending on what you like... also a fun little evening thing to do is to go to the Congress Street Bridge and see the bats...Austin is home to ot the largest colony of mexican fruit bats, they live in special 'houses' under the bridge and evey night they stream out to go find insects to eat...it is something else...an a purely Austin experince, we went last October and did a sightseeing boat ride, it was about 1.5 hours long and was pretty reasonable...if you want to email me I can give you the websites for anything of these things and try to give you some more info... its parrottheadbaby at yahoo dot com....(notice parrott with 2 't' s)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all...I'm very sorry that I haven't been online for a looooong time now. :( my computer crashed and burned and I've only just replaced it. Thanks to ell52 and others that picked up the slack on this thread for me and continued answering all of the great Vancouver questions! Unfortunately, or fortunately - depending on how you look at it - I won't be back for long, I'm heading back out to the high seas to work for Princess in late August on the Grand Princess - which will be my home for six months :) ... but until then.. fire away!

We are coming in on September 15 - due to arrive at 12:30. Will will then(Princess) "transfer" to the Pan Pacific... will we be able to make Buckhart(sp?) Gardens??????

Also, how about a suggestion for Friday dinner...not to pricey, but "authentic" Vancouver...are we asking too much?

Thanks,

Ted

Dear tjatczak:

Unfortunately I don't think you'll have enough time to make Butchart Gardens if you don't arrive until 12:30. The ferry ride to Victoria leaves from Tsawassen, which is about thirty minutes from the airport and at least forty five minutes from downtown in good traffic conditions. In addition to that, you have a nearly two hour ferry ride in each direction. You may have to plan on visiting on a future stay when you have more time. As for a Vancouver restaurant close to the Pan Pacific, I can recommend Aqua Riva just adjacent to the Pan Pacific which serves up a hearty Westcoast fare (lots of seafood - salmon, halibut etc) at a reasonable price and with an excellent view if you get a window seat. There's also Top of Vancouver revolving restaurant at the Harbour Centre Tower (5mins from PanPac) with excellent Westcoast fare and a million dollar view from waaaaay up high! Hope this helps!

*****on another note, as soon as I'm back answering questions, I'll have to be gone again...my employment with Princess has changed to the Sea Princess and I'll be leaving for London this Friday to join the SP in Southampton. Hopefully, other Vancouverites will take up the torch as they did before during my computer meltdown and offer answers to the many great questions about Vancouver!! All the best to everyone and if you ever make it onto the Sea Princess, come say hello in the duty free shops - Mike is my name ;) and I'll be happy to show you around! *****

This is great - I've been posting on the X board and reading the Alaska board - and pre and post hotel board - never saw this one - da !

but was directed here by a fellow poster.

Pardon my excitement - we don't sail until next year - one year from today ! :eek: but my question is about restaurants if anyone cares to make suggestions. I don't want to put on 5 lbs before I even get on the ship, but if we want to do one special night (we'll be in Vanc. for 3 ) can anyone suggest an upscale steakhouse or steak and seafood - my DH loves seafood - not me ! ick ! - or, a 'fine french couisine' place - we will be staying at Terminal City Tower Hotel on Hastings (2 blocks from the pier) and we'll have lots of dress up clothes with us for the cruise - may as well use 'em !!

any suggestions ? thank you :)

Pardon my excitement - we don't sail until next year - one year from today ! :eek: but my question is about restaurants if anyone cares to make suggestions. I don't want to put on 5 lbs before I even get on the ship, but if we want to do one special night (we'll be in Vanc. for 3 ) can anyone suggest an upscale steakhouse or steak and seafood - my DH loves seafood - not me ! ick ! - or, a 'fine french couisine' place - we will be staying at Terminal City Tower Hotel on Hastings (2 blocks from the pier) and we'll have lots of dress up clothes with us for the cruise - may as well use 'em !!

any suggestions ? thank you :)

soooo excited, there are so many great restaurants in Vancouver.

Given your criteria of upscale, special night, fine dining, I'll suggest a couple off the top of my head. Both are within easy walking of Terminal City:

For steak, one of my all-time, oldtime favourites:

Hy's Encore

637 Hornby Street Vancouver, BC V6C 2G3

- a true Vancouver, original

For Fine cuisine:

Diva at the Met

645 Howe Street, Vancouver, BC

Diva and Hy's are both literally 'round the corner and up the street from where you are staying. Both offer an upscale experience with excellent food.

Others you might want to check out:

Gotham Steakhouse

West - you'll need a taxi

Lumiere - you'll need a taxi

Hello everyone,

I've been reading through all the posts and everyone seems so very helpful I thought I'd see if anyone can help me with my query!

We're cruising Alaska in September in and out of Vancouver and afterwards making our way to Vancouver Island. Can anyone tell me the best way to get to Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal from the cruise ship port (which is Canada Place I believe?). We disembark 7am on Sunday 17th September.

I'm sure there must be a way that's a little less expensive than a taxi?

Many thanks for any help.

We're cruising Alaska in September in and out of Vancouver and afterwards making our way to Vancouver Island. Can anyone tell me the best way to get to Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal from the cruise ship port (which is Canada Place I believe?). We disembark 7am on Sunday 17th September.

I'm sure there must be a way that's a little less expensive than a taxi?

Friends are meeting us Naniamo and they had said to make for Horseshoe Bay. Is there a better way to get there? Any suggestions appreciated!

It's going to be pricy whichever way you choose to get to Nanaimo.

First, make sure you're cruising out of Canada Place - RCI ships sail from Ballantyne pier.

The reason I asked if there was a specific reason for leaving from Horseshoe Bay is because Pacifc Coach Lines has a daily pickup at 11 am from Canada Place that takes you to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal. Most people take this to get to Victoria.

Not many know this, but it also works for getting to Nanaimo. You catch the Pacific Coach Lines bus at Canada Place; get off at the ferry terminal; and get on the Tsawwassen to Nanaimo ferry as a walk on passenger. You must pre-book this and it costs about $29.75 including the ferry ticket.

Note: the Tsawwassen ferry goes to Duke Point in Nanaimo, and the Horseshoe Bay ferry goes to Departure Bay (about 10 mins. apart). The Tsawwassen ferry is approx. a 25 mins. longer trip.

A taxi to Horseshoe Bay will probably run you around $45 + tip, then you'll need to add the cost of the ferry ticket, approx. $11 pp.

So, it really depends on how many of you are travelling and how many bags, etc. you have. For two people, it's slightly cheaper to go by Pacific Coach, but not sure if you think it's worth it. For more than two, it's cheaper taking a taxi to Horseshoe Bay.

OR, you could always splurge and take a limo/post-cruise tour that drops you off at Horseshoe Bay. :)

Some links:

Pacific Coach Lines

The info about the Nanaimo ferry is hard to find, but you can just call their 1-800 number.

BC Ferries schedule

Two departure points for Nanaimo:

Tsawwassen - to - Duke Point, or

Horseshoe Bay - to - Departure Bay

ell52

Many, many thanks for all your information. You've given me quite a bit of surfing to do there! Local information is invaluable, which in turn makes these boards so useful.

Thank you again for your help.

We are sailing on the Mercury on Oct 6th. We have one day in Vancouver (the 7th). I have several questions, Does anyone know what pier we are at? We have reserved a car for $54 US through alamo at the pier (hopefully the right one, Canada Place) do we have to buy extra insurance? What are the best things to do if you only have one day?

We'll be in Vancouver pre-cruise for 3 days. We are not planning on renting a car. My question is what is the best way to get to Grouse Mtn.and is part of a day enough time there? My plans so far (subject to change!) are one day Stanley Park; 1/2 day or so @ Grouse rest of the day in Gastown, Chinatown. 3rd day I was planning on doing a full day tour to Victoria and then leave on the cruise day 4. Any comments on this itinerary? Thanks everyone

First, I think going to Victoria and back in a day is a push. Certainly doable, but it's going to be a race :) You have about 1,5 hr to the ferry including the wait time, 1:45hr on the ferry + 30min to downtown so you'll have >3hrs of travel each way... You can do the rest of math :D OK, you can fly there from downtown Vancouver which would make it more than doable. See http://www.harbour-air.com/home/index.php

One full day in Stanley park on the other side is too much. How about 1/2 day Stanley, 1/2 day on Grouse, 1 day in Vancouver and 1 day to Whistler or a local tour of the islands, or fly to Victoria.

There are public busses to Grouse... See http://www.grousemountain.com/cominf_gethere.cfm

Just my $0.02....

Have fun in Vancouver..........

We are sailing on the Mercury on Oct 6th. We have one day in Vancouver (the 7th). I have several questions, Does anyone know what pier we are at? We have reserved a car for $54 US through alamo at the pier (hopefully the right one, Canada Place) do we have to buy extra insurance? What are the best things to do if you only have one day?

You can find the pier on Port of Vancouver's web site http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php

Enjoy this city, it's beautiful :D

Klauskk

Thanks for your $.02! Thats just what I want...informed opinions. The Victoria thing I was looking @ was a tour offered by Pacific Coach or Grey Line. They start really early AM and get back late. We get in Vancouver really late (after midnight) so I was thinking of not doing too much that 1st full day. Maybe we'll try to see the park and some of downtown Vancouver that day and then the 2nd day full day do Grouse and downtown sites we missed day one? Thanks for the tip on not needing a full day @ Grouse. We're going to try and stay at the Westin Bayshore for access to the park and seawall.

Klauskk

Thanks for your $.02! Thats just what I want...informed opinions. The Victoria thing I was looking @ was a tour offered by Pacific Coach or Grey Line. They start really early AM and get back late. We get in Vancouver really late (after midnight) so I was thinking of not doing too much that 1st full day. Maybe we'll try to see the park and some of downtown Vancouver that day and then the 2nd day full day do Grouse and downtown sites we missed day one? Thanks for the tip on not needing a full day @ Grouse. We're going to try and stay at the Westin Bayshore for access to the park and seawall.

This plan is more realistic otherwise you'll be beaten by that travel to Victoria (BTW: Victoria is a nice place).

Bayshore is a great option. PanPacific is another one (you can spot movie stars there :D ) or Pinnacle Delta. There's also a Marriott very close...

We got a great rate on our room at the Westin Bayshore of $100 per night through priceline for three nights in Sep.

We arrive in Vancouver on a Sundat around noon. We are taking the limo at $39C to the hotel. Amazingly low price for a limo and no advance reservation required. You just walk up to it at the airport and confirm the price, get in, and whisk away in comfort to your hotel

We are going to spend Sunday Afternoon at Stanley Park

On Monday we are taking greyline tour to Victoria

On Tuesday we are taking greyline tour to Whistler

On Wed we board the Carnival Spirit for the 12 day cruise to Hawaii

Pretty much have it planned except where to eat in Vancouver that is withing walking distance of the Westin Bayshore. We have heard the Boathouse is pretty good but not certain if it is in walking distance. Any recommendations will be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks,

Cruise-a-Lot

We got a great rate on our room at the Westin Bayshore of $100 per night through priceline for three nights in Sep.

. . . .

Pretty much have it planned except where to eat in Vancouver that is withing walking distance of the Westin Bayshore. We have heard the Boathouse is pretty good but not certain if it is in walking distance. Any recommendations will be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks,

Cruise-a-Lot

If you want a restaurant VERY close to the Bayshore, there is Carderos. I'ts almost 'next door', on the marina, and overlooking the boats, water and mountains.

Otherwise, the Boathouse is also within walking distance, just a bit further. Actually, if you walk up Denman, you'll find lots of restaurants in all price ranges and types.

Yes, I will post a review when we return. Also thanks to Ell52 for the great dining tips. Especially about Denman. We had no idea. How would you rate Mr. Pickwicks Fish and Chips on Denman for a very casual lunch? We will do Dinner at Cadero's

Cruise-a-Lot

We arrive in Vancouver on a Sundat around noon. We are taking the limo at $39C to the hotel. Amazingly low price for a limo and no advance reservation required. You just walk up to it at the airport and confirm the price, get in, and whisk away in comfort to your hotel

We are going to spend Sunday Afternoon at Stanley Park

On Monday we are taking greyline tour to Victoria

On Tuesday we are taking greyline tour to Whistler

On Wed we board the Carnival Spirit for the 12 day cruise to Hawaii

Thanks,

Cruise-a-Lot

It depends on how much money you want to spend and how tired you are after those 2 rather long excursions. The Bayshore has a great restaurant inside - Cardero's is a short walk, as too is the White Spot (both are about 2 blocks away). White Spot is faster and cheaper and offers a great selection of food now. Cardero's is more upscale (than White Spot) and about 50% more in pricing on similar items.