Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

basketlover

vanilla

I posted this on the playa del carmen board with no respose. does anyone know where to buy vanilla? real vanilla? thanks

Im not very sure in Playa but I know in Cozumel almost every shop sells it.Cozumel is only a ferry ride away from playa.

:)

I posted this on the playa del carmen board with no respose. does anyone know where to buy vanilla? real vanilla? thanks

Do you want Vanilla or the Vanilla Bean?

Be careful with vanilla in Mexico and anywhere in the Caribbean.

http://www.vanilla.com/html/facts-mexican.html

Coumarin

Coumarin is a derivative of the tonka bean, which comes from Dipteryx ordorata, a tree native to Brazil. Some of the organic constituents that make up its flavor are similar to, or the same as, those in pure vanilla. Coumarin is frequently found in synthetic vanillas from Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean as it's cheap and it makes synthetic vanilla taste more like the natural. Unfortunately, coumarin is considered toxic, especially to the liver, and potentially carcinogenic, and has been banned from the United States since the 1950s. (Dicumarol, which is a derivative of coumarin, is the active ingredient in certain blood-thinning medications, and is legal in the United States.)

Look for the vanilla with a picture of a red rooster on it. That's the genuine and safe stuff.

The best vanilla I've ever had was purchased from Los Cinco Soles. I've had several different brands of Mexican vanilla (stayed away from the Coumarin ones) but the overall best flavor I've found is Los Cinco Soles in Cozumel. Leaving on a cruise in 2 days specifically to pick up a couple quarts of it!

If you can't get to Mexico anytime soon, Walmart carries a nice Mexican vanilla at a pretty good price.:)