suey

Brisbane Port Opening

Just read in the paper that the new port should be open for business in August. Yippee!! that means it should be up and running efficiently by our September cruise - no more transit centre. :) ;)

yep by december everything should be running nice and smooth. the staff will get plenty of time to perfect their work:D

Just read in the paper that the new port should be open for business in August. Yippee!! that means it should be up and running efficiently by our September cruise - no more transit centre. :) ;)

Hi Suey

Just wondering which paper you found that story in so I could read it as well.

cheers

Hi Suey

Just wondering which paper you found that story in so I could read it as well.

cheers

A little piece in Fridays Brisbane Courier Mail - so small it would be easy to miss.:)

I cant wait.........it will be soooooooooo much better.Will they have somewhere where you can at last wave bon voyage to your friends and or family as they sail away?

A little piece in Fridays Brisbane Courier Mail - so small it would be easy to miss.:)

that would explain why i couldnt find it in the sunday mail :D

that would explain why i couldnt find it in the sunday mail :D

Sorry I went straight from work to the coast for the weekend so couldn't post until yesterday so 'just read' wasn't quite true I should have said recently read to save you trying to find it in yesterdays paper :)

IT has been promised for nearly 20 years but finally Brisbane is about to get an international standard shipping cruise terminal.

The August opening of the facility, at Hamilton on the Brisbane River, has already led cruise companies to book berths for as late as 2008.

Cruise companies are also thinking of adding a Brisbane call to schedules, following the successful showcase of the terminal at a cruise-shipping convention in the US last month.

Some large international operators had refused to come here because of the appalling facilities .

At present, cruise ships have to tie up beside a fertiliser wharf at Pinkenba, where passengers are processed through a tent.

Big vessels – ones usually on world cruises – have to tie up at the Fisherman Islands container dock at the river mouth. Nothing was done until Multiplex incorporated a terminal in its Portside Wharf complex. The project's senior development manager, Ryan Andersen, said yesterday that 19 ships would arrive between the August opening and the end of the year.

The project's senior development manager, Ryan Andersen, said yesterday that 19 ships would arrive between the August opening and the end of the year.

I think what he means is that they have 19 arrivals booked. Pacific Star has 17 arrivals/departures from Brisbane between August (when it arrives back from Auckland) and the end of December. So to say that 19 cruise ships will be visiting Brisbane is probably just a weeny bit of an exageration, when the truth is there's really only the one ship that's based here, plus one or two extra's that will be visiting (probably Pacific Princess and Pacific Sun).