peterde

Not so impressed with the Freedom

On May 13 I spent several hours aboard the Freedom, and while it is a good looking ship, I was very disappointed. It was hyped as being the most "innovated ship" , but I think that is kind of of a stretch. I have sailed on both the Mariner and Navigator, and it's really just a larger version of them (with a few upgrades, flat screen TV, etc), while that in it of itself is not bad, it's not totally redesigned and ground breaking ship I expected. I though the design was going to be totally new, but while walking around the ship I found myself knowing exactly where everything was before I got there! I would still book a cruise on her, but at least I won't expect too much! I'll try to post some pics later.

I can't recall the Freedom being billed s the most innovtive ship, I probably read that there were some innovative features,like the flow rider but from all that I saw and read before the launch of the Freedom, I knew she was going to be an "ultra-voyager" which to mean means Voyager on steroids.

I am sorry that youre xpectations were not met, I loved the Adventure so I am positive I will enjoy the Freedom!:)

Even if RCI has advertised FREEDOM as the most innovative cruise ship, it's true! Just because she is a larger version of the Voyager Class doesn't mean she is not the most innovative. The Voyager Class ships are very innovative to begin with, and FREEDOM just takes it up a notch.

RCI has always been honest in that FREEDOM is an enlarged version of the Voyager Class. Anyone expecting more has unrealistic expectations.

Ernie

Don't get me wrong, I love the Voyager class ships and I love sailing on them. But in most of RCCL materials (see http://www.freedomoftheseas.com) They just kept saying it was the most innovative ship to date. I just expected more. I'm not knocking the ship, it was beautiful, (though sometimes I couldn't help but think that it was too big) Anyone who enjoyed the Mariner or the Navigator will just love this ship.

Peter, it is the most innovative ship in that it is completely wireless, has Wi-fi everywhere on the ship, flat panel tvs and cell phone connectivity out at sea, among many more new features. You don't always have to see it for it to be the most innovative. They never said it was anything but an extended Voyager class with new, innovative features. Were you expecting it to be voice activated or something?:D

p.s They said it was Their most innovative ship to date, not The most innovative ship. And I have to agree with them. It is definately not less innovative that their other ships in their fleet, and is most certainly a notch above the rest.

If some people are already having a problem with the Freedom ship being to BIG then how will they feel when the board the Genesis prototype ship from RCC that's even BIGGER with 220.000 tons coming out in 2009!? :p

My wife and two teens are sailing on the 11th and it will be the frist time on a ship this big.I have done two cruises on the Majesty and one on the Sovergine of the seas.This should get a big wow factor out of us:D

Hi!

My husband and I are sailing on June 4th and we are looking forward to the "big ship." WE have never been on one of the Voyager class ships so have nothing to compare this to...our favorite ship has been the Radiance.

For those who are complaining, it is always best not to expect too much; you set yourself up for disappointment!

Smile, life is too short to always be unhappy!

Janice

I am aboard FOS now. IMO, she is really just a larger version of the Voyager class with a few bells and whistles.

I am not sure if we are sailing full, but the crowds are noticable. :( The bars were so crowded last night before dinner that we could not find a seat and had to wait quite a while for drinks.

I am sure this ship will appeal to those who like the big ships. Quite honestly, I feel like I am in a Vegas hotel and would never know I was on a ship unless I am on the balcony or an deck.

And, I did not like all the people crowded everywhere.

Give me Radiance class - or smaller - any day :rolleyes:

Some of the crowded feel could be caused because the experiences to date are on mini-cruises not a full week cruise. On one and two day cruises, people feel like they need to experience everything and not spend much time just relaxing. As a result, everyone is out of their cabins enjoying the ship. I know I wouldn't be relaxing on my balcony if I only had one night on the FOS. Let's see what reviews say after June 4.

I am aboard FOS now. IMO, she is really just a larger version of the Voyager class with a few bells and whistles.

I am not sure if we are sailing full, but the crowds are noticable. :( The bars were so crowded last night before dinner that we could not find a seat and had to wait quite a while for drinks.

I am sure this ship will appeal to those who like the big ships. Quite honestly, I feel like I am in a Vegas hotel and would never know I was on a ship unless I am on the balcony or an deck.

And, I did not like all the people crowded everywhere.

Give me Radiance class - or smaller - any day :rolleyes:

I think the bars are crowded b/c the alcohol is free. :D

I think the bars are crowded b/c the alcohol is free. :D

Patrick,

My friend who works onboard has never been so busy. He says since everything is free, he is working harder than he ever has. So...methinks you are correct!

Two weeks from this moment, I'll be on the way to the airport! Hot diggedy!!! We have such a fantastic, enthusiastic group (see Janice's post above). It is going to be a week to remember for sure....

See you soon!

Tracy

Patrick - not only the bar, there was a line for Ben & Jerry's ice cream and if we wanted to eat at Johnny Rocket's yesterday for lunch there was an hour and a half wait.:) Once they start charging for B&J's and JR's and people don't have to try to fit everything into a two day period, both problems should be minimized. Traffic patterns throughout the ship seemed pretty good and should minimize much congestion. Dining room spacing was excellent, and unlike what we experienced on Sapphire Princess, RCI offers true seating for two. Dining rooms were elegant.

I think there does need to be more seating in many of the various lounges, especially the more popular venues.

No seats.. no revenue!

This is my first post here. May I ask how you got on early? Are you in the industry? Cindy

I am not sure how to use this website yet but I am booked on the Freedom 6/4/06 sailing. I am curious as to where I can see some real preview pictures of the ship. I would love to know who has been on it already and how they got on. I assume loyal cruisers, industry people, ect. I was once a travel agent moons ago with USAA Travel in San Antonio but have long since left and moved from there. I have been on 6 cruises with the last being on Carnival Conquest Feb. this year. Yuck! I won't go there. Prior to that it has been a long time since my last cruise in 1990 on RCL Crowne Odyssey Scandi Capitals/Russia cruise. I am looking to make connections with people so I can enjoy myself more however I will be travel with my teen son. Any and all info and suggestions about anything would be appreciated. Please understand that I am not sure just how to respond or post on this quit yet but will try hard. :)

Tracy, you look like a fun one in that hat! Hey, tried to use your link but there are so many things listed. Where do I go exactly? Normally, I am pretty much follow my nose but this is a little confusing. Is it the one listed roll call only? Which one are you on?

Tracy, you look like a fun one in that hat! Hey, tried to use your link but there are so many things listed. Where do I go exactly? Normally, I am pretty much follow my nose but this is a little confusing. Is it the one listed roll call only? Which one are you on?

June 4th hon. Isn't that the one you said you were going on?

T

Yes, June 4th, yeah buddy! Hey, what is the pink boa society?

Duh. I get it. Been there and all over this website. Getting a little too additicted.

Tracy, Can't get on the roll call for our sailing. It keeps coming up working off line. I can however lookup just about everything else, just not the June 4th sailing. What gives?

Some of the crowded feel could be caused because the experiences to date are on mini-cruises not a full week cruise. On one and two day cruises, people feel like they need to experience everything and not spend much time just relaxing. As a result, everyone is out of their cabins enjoying the ship. I know I wouldn't be relaxing on my balcony if I only had one night on the FOS. Let's see what reviews say after June 4.

Great thought....

I do like reading the reviews whether positive or negative and you are right to put it in perspective.

Alcohol is free aboard FOTS?!?!?

Only on the invitation-only pre-inaugural cruises for representatives of the travel industry and for Diamond Plus Crown and Anchor members. Starting June 4th the normal charges will apply.:D