Bringing beer onboard from FFL (embarkation)

qwertyiop

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were bullying me. You brought up the school yard analogy and I simply applied it to the bully by the water fountain who insists his way is the only way.

You do tend to come across rather negatively when someone posts a simple question on this type of subject as qwertlop did when she made a simple inquiry.

So, Princess does not in practise mind if you bring your own soft drink, water or beer aboard. That's how it works in practise and qwertyiop I hope you have a great cruise and should we ever sail on the same ship, you are welcomed to come and enjoy a cold beer (likely imported from the Ft Lauderdale 7-11 Corporation) with Joni and I on our balcony!

I keep a very open mind especially when it comes to travel. There are thousands of ways to enjoy the world.

THANK YOU, what a nice post!!!

We have been on Disney, Celebrity and Princess and have always carried at least a case (24) cans of beer on board along with a bottle of wine. We do not smuggle it - however, we do carry it in a carryon bag. Disney's policy includes beer. I called Celebrity and Princess and was told they too allowed it.

Am I cheating the cruiseline - I don't think so. We always have a suite or a mini-suite and our bill has never been under $1,000 for excursions and alcohol when leaving the ship. We enjoy a drink in our room in the late afternoon.

Hey, if Princess says it's OK, fine! They trust that if you are someone that does indeed consume alcohol, that you'll spend some money on drinks at dinner or at a show and it won't matter that you have a few drinkipoos in your room.

If someone wants to invest the muscle dragging the stuff onboard and it's authorized by the actual company you're doing business with (not the other passengers, but the company/ship), than super! If you want to buy the stuff at the ports of call, excellent! If you prefer just to spend the money on the ship, fantastic! We're all there to have a good time. Drinks should be a non-issue. Vacations are a form or relaxation, lets just focus on fun and not the corporation and its rules.

Oh dear Laura (qwertyiop) what have you done........you really have got 'em all going haven't you?

We returned from a cruise on the Diamond Princes just over a week ago and had a great time.

Yes, we took beer (usually Corona) and wine (a good Australian merlot which they don't sell on the ship) on every time we docked. We enjoyed having a drink in our stateroom or taking it to sailaway parties before meals.

We still bought drinks at all the bars and in the restaurants.

Nobody ever commented on our bringing on a six pack of beers or wine but I certainly wouldn't bother to bring vodka onto the ship - why do that when you can have a 2 litre bottle delivered to your stateroom for $20!

Enjoy Laura, have a great cruise!

Anne XX

I wonder if those who think it is so wrong to bring a few beers on board ever drive 60 in a 55 zone?

The point is well made, who of all of us follows every rule 100% - probably none of us. So who are we to judge others if they "bend" the rules. Of course it is the self appointed "police" like some on this thread, that would clearly volunteer their time to make sure you can't bring it on board because it threatens the financial house of cards of cruise ship revenue for them...:rolleyes:

...of course they are the same ingonorant SOB's that drive the speed limit in the left lane of a multi-lane freeway because they are driving the "limit" even though they are violating one or two other laws about flow in the left lane...

According to Princess, you can bring on soda, juice, water, wine, champagne and beer. They may not have beer in print, but everyone that I have ever spoken with has said that it's okay. I've never seen them take away someone's bottled water and no one seems to have a problem with that even though it takes away sales from Princess.

The first time we sailed Princess out of San Juan, there was a store right in the port so we thought we could bring liquor on board like we did on Disney. We bought a 6 pack of beer and a bottle of scotch and on we went. Once we got onto the ship, they had a desk set up to take away liquor. Well, they took the scotch and said we could have it back at the end of the cruise but allowed the beer on board as they said that was allowed. At one of our ports, they again had people taking liquor the moment you boarded but allowed you to carry beer on board.

Bringing on beer is allowed and isn't breaking the rules. It's as much allowed as carrying on wine and champagne. If Princess is that worried about losing a couple of dollars, well then they'll just make it that you can't bring alcohol of any kind on board with you and until then, you can bring on allowable alcohol in plain sight.

The point is well made, who of all of us follows every rule 100% - probably none of us. So who are we to judge others if they "bend" the rules. Of course it is the self appointed "police" like some on this thread, that would clearly volunteer their time to make sure you can't bring it on board because it threatens the financial house of cards of cruise ship revenue for them...:rolleyes:

...of course they are the same ingonorant SOB's that drive the speed limit in the left lane of a multi-lane freeway because they are driving the "limit" even though they are violating one or two other laws about flow in the left lane...

If you want to see what happens when people DO follow ''rules'' to a T, and this does actually involve the speed limit!---it's 5 minutes long, but very interesting. I saw a snippet of this on the news a while back and found it online just now----

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5366552067462745475&q=meditation+speed

CHEERS!

Laura

When those of you who say "we carry beer in our carryon"... are you talking about flying in and carrying it in your carryon? Do the airlines let you do that? We will be flying in from Dallas to Ft. Lauderdale and I was wondering if it would be alright to carry a 12 pack of beer each in our carryon bags. We are booked on a fly and cruise package through Princess and will be having a bus meet us to take us to the port. So I don't think we would be able to ask the bus driver to pull over so we can run in to buy beer between the airport and the port. :p Has anyone carried beer in their carryon when they fly in? :cool:

When those of you who say "we carry beer in our carryon"... are you talking about flying in and carrying it in your carryon? Do the airlines let you do that? We will be flying in from Dallas to Ft. Lauderdale and I was wondering if it would be alright to carry a 12 pack of beer each in our carryon bags. We are booked on a fly and cruise package through Princess and will be having a bus meet us to take us to the port. So I don't think we would be able to ask the bus driver to pull over so we can run in to buy beer between the airport and the port. :p Has anyone carried beer in their carryon when they fly in? :cool:

I haven't carried beer in my carryon, but have carried wine (for a cruise, of course!). There was no issue with securtiy at all.

While it is technically against the rules, it's true that Princess has turned a blind eye for a long time.

So I think we should offer amensty to all the beer already aboard, and let them be consumed openly from now on.

However, we should build a fence on the dock to make sure no more beer gets in (unless it's an english beer of course, or comes from a country where beer is prosecuted.)

That being said, haul on as much possible while the ability is available. But please remember a point that I made earlier - don't complain about cruises becoming less inclusive and/or more restrictive when contributing to the issue.

To be perfectly honest, I think that rational doesn't make much sense.

I will not be buying any alcohol on board. Nor will I probably buy any of the sodas or specialty coffee drinks. Thus, I won't be providing additional revenue to Princess. To follow your post to its logical conclusion, one could assume that I would be contributing to rising costs of the cruise fares. And that's just silly.

I'm sure - SURE - that Princess and all of the other cruise lines account for some pax (like myself) who will not be purchasing their 'extras' and they take that into account when calculating their fares for the upcoming year. As I am also sure that they have done studies to show that the amount of revenue they lose from people bringing onboard various beverages is not critical to their fiscal well-being. I'm sure some could make a case that the *reason* they choose to sail on Princess versus another line is because they can bring things and the company will look away while they do so. In that case, wouldn't you say that Princess could actually be *making money* with their policy?

Perhaps in order to ensure that Princess has the highest possible revenue stream they should prohibit kids on board since they don't purchase alcohol. Or diabetics, since they don't drink the sugared sodas. Or anyone with hypertension since they don't drink caffeineted beverages. Or, or, or, or... Silly, yes?

Yes, I thought so.

To be perfectly honest, I think that rational doesn't make much sense.

I will not be buying any alcohol on board. Nor will I probably buy any of the sodas or specialty coffee drinks. Thus, I won't be providing additional revenue to Princess. To follow your post to its logical conclusion, one could assume that I would be contributing to rising costs of the cruise fares. And that's just silly.

I'm sure - SURE - that Princess and all of the other cruise lines account for some pax (like myself) who will not be purchasing their 'extras' and they take that into account when calculating their fares for the upcoming year. As I am also sure that they have done studies to show that the amount of revenue they lose from people bringing onboard various beverages is not critical to their fiscal well-being. I'm sure some could make a case that the *reason* they choose to sail on Princess versus another line is because they can bring things and the company will look away while they do so. In that case, wouldn't you say that Princess could actually be *making money* with their policy?

Perhaps in order to ensure that Princess has the highest possible revenue stream they should prohibit kids on board since they don't purchase alcohol. Or diabetics, since they don't drink the sugared sodas. Or anyone with hypertension since they don't drink caffeineted beverages. Or, or, or, or... Silly, yes?

Yes, I thought so.

:D :D :D :D

Yes, I thought so.

Yes, I think your post is silly – although I’d be the first to book some cruises that prohibited kids. Your suggestion that alcohol – the source of a good deal of on board revenue (see the case of Paradise, the non-smoking ship that saw a very low amount of on board revenue gleaned from alcohol and Carnival’s need to change the non-smoking status to recoup some of that on-board revenue) equates to sodas or caffeinated beverages (the latter of which are free, by the way) shows a lack of understanding of the business.

Right – I’m sure the number crunchers at Princess are quite aware of what bringing one’s own aboard does to their bottom line. And I also am sure that Princess continually evaluates this bottom line to understand how to increase on board revenue. They now are charging for fresh brewed coffee – and there’s an uproar about it. I wonder if there is any correlation to those complaining about this new cost and those who bring their own on board. I don’t think the cruise line is making money because they have a “look the other way” policy – I doubt there is a majority of passengers who book Princess because of this policy alone.

The cruise product is shaped by the customer demands and actions. If the incidence of bringing one’s own becomes widespread the cruise product will either change or the cruise line will become less profitable. I personally would prefer not to pay more for my cruise fare because of the kegs of beer being brought on board. I would also prefer not to have the staff on board the ship watching over the shoulders of all on board because they’ve lost control of the dispensing of alcohol.

Yes, I think your post is silly – although I’d be the first to book some cruises that prohibited kids. Your suggestion that alcohol – the source of a good deal of on board revenue (see the case of Paradise, the non-smoking ship that saw a very low amount of on board revenue gleaned from alcohol and Carnival’s need to change the non-smoking status to recoup some of that on-board revenue) equates to sodas or caffeinated beverages (the latter of which are free, by the way) shows a lack of understanding of the business.

For the record, it was your post suggesting that the acohol purchased on board was a major revenue stream which I was responding to. Not mine.

And thank you for your insinutation that I need to go aquaint myself with the situation, but I AM familiar with the Carnival Paradise, and it's ill-fated attemot at being a non-smoking ship. Because I read other posts and other boards, too, you see.

It is not a lack of understanding. It is a difference of opinion.

For the record, it was your post suggesting that the acohol purchased on board was a major revenue stream which I was responding to. Not mine.

And thank you for your insinutation that I need to go aquaint myself with the situation, but I AM familiar with the Carnival Paradise, and it's ill-fated attemot at being a non-smoking ship. Because I read other posts and other boards, too, you see.

It is not a lack of understanding. It is a difference of opinion.

Sorry, I was reacting to your suggestion that alcohol equated to soda and/or caffeinated beverages. And you’re right – there is a difference of opinion…mine is that you can’t equate the two.

As for a lack of on board purchases contributing to an increase in cruise fares, indirectly it does. The cruise lines offset the low fares through on board revenue. No on board revenue, the fares increase or the cruise line goes out of business. That's why you see appreciatively higher fares on cruise lines where all is inclusive. The cost of running the ship remains the same whether or not someone buys on board. Those costs have to be recouped somehow.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No problem at all. I brought two cases of beer with me. 1 case in carry on and I brought a duffel bag to put another 2 12 packs in.

No problem at all. Saved me lots of $$$$$$. Good deal as far as I am concerned. Don't care too much what other people think!

My husband always brings cans of beer in carry on and has packed up to a case in large checked luggage when we were on a pre cruise 7 day trip through the Canadian Rockies. No problem. This all started years ago while sailing to Bermuda aboard the Pacific Princess. He asked at the Pursers Desk if he could buy beer in Hamilton and they said no problem, not considered Alcohol!!!! So he bought a case across from the terminal and carried the whole case onboard.

This was for his consumption in our cabin. He did add to the revenue at dinnerand in the lounges.

Sure, we’re here to get input from others that would be helpful. But in this case, it’s input into ways to circumvent the policy and in effect decrease onboard revenue. In the meantime, there’s a thread going regarding the new charges for coffee – the objective of which is to increase on board revenue. Interesting how things come full circle, huh?

What do you think would happen to Princess' revenue if they actually enforced this "policy" to the letter....you dont really think overall revenue would go up, do you, especially after a couple months worth of debate on these boards and various discussions at travel agencies? Many of us used to pre-order a liter or 2 from Princess before they got stupid about pre-orders. It was convenient and gave the business to the cruise line. Were they actually to get so cheap they would enforce this rule, which I dont think they would do, I would find a different line.

Princess' revenue yes, but on the other hand, they can not control what is goes on in staterooms.... Bars or dining areas they can see what you're consuming....

I would like to bring a 6pk for my DH to enjoy while on the balcony....It's easier than going down to the bar, ordering, and then bringing it back up.....

It's convenience ...................

When we have flown to FLL we bring an empty carryon on wheels. We have gone to the store or had our taxi driver stop. We get a case of beer, pepsi and some wine. One time we put the items in the carryon in the cruise terminal while we were waiting to board. Not a work was said. Then we use the empty carryon for things we have bought. Any extra left over we give to our cabin attendent. We plan on doing the same thing in September when we board the Legend but it will be already packed as we are driving to port. :D

Say what you want about me, I'm not looking at this thread again........but, bringing that much beer on board is tacky. I agree with bdjam, controlling the dispensing of alcohol is a real concern, and bringing on cases of beer is no good in my opinion. There is a direct link between lots of drinking and behavior. Honestly, that scares me just watching tempers fly and all the name calling going on right here without alcohol!

Oh brother..Yes, we did and we drank two six packs and the rest went to our room ateendent who was thrilled and yes we had a bar bill..DH likes Mick and I enjoy Pepsi. So say what you want because we still gave the ship money onboard. You think 12 beers in 7 days is too much? We don't overdrink by any means. :D

Archived