Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiaDeGuadalupe

Back from the Conquest 5/7-5/14

Overall, a fun time :D

Embarkation was a breeze. We got there at around 12:30 and were on the ship by 1-ish. We had stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Beach and did the free parking and shuttle thing. One of their shuttle buses was being repaired, so they had rented a couple of big vans to try to help with the overflow.

Our luggage got to our cabin by around 3, so there was still plenty of time to unpack and get ready for dinner. BTW, the ship was nice! I thought it was clean and the staff, by and large, were very friendly.

Nyoman was our cabin steward (we were on the Verandah deck #8271) and he was really on the ball. He kept everything in order and we never had to ask for anything twice. The kids loved the towel animals, too!

We had the first seating for dinner in the Monet dining room. Antonio and Russel were our waiters at table 306. Again, they did a nice job. The kids had their sodas waiting for them every night, and on my daughter's birthday, they put candles on her cake (which we didn't expect at all). I thought that was a really nice thing to do.

The food itself was pretty good. I liked the Georges Blanc selections, and even thought that the dessert one night was better than the one I had at The Point! We didn't spend too much time on the Lido, but did bring a few breakfast items back a couple of times. My son and I had lunch there twice, too. The fish and chips were pretty good, and the fried calamari/veggies were yummy!

Camp Carnival was a blast for my daughter (now 5 years old), who was in the youngest group. Just about every day of the cruise, she was in their for at least a couple of hours. One day they had a photographer come in and take pictures of the kids and we bought a package (apart from the package, the only picture we bought was one taken at debarkation in Jamaica lol). The Camp had a talent show on the last sea day, and let me tell you, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! The littlest ones had learned a dance and the whole audience was in stitches!

I wish that O2 was the same for our son (15). He said that there weren't any kids his age in there whenever he went. My guess is that since we're between Spring Break and the end of the school year, there weren't many big kids aboard. I was worried that he wouldn't have a good time, but he loved the cruise. We played a lot of bingo with him, and just hung out. He got a lot of sandwiches and got to know the guy who worked at that counter. I think it was an eye opener for our son to learn how hard these guys work.

The ports were nice. In Jamaica we went to Sunset Beach. It was well worth the money. We hung out there with some people from CC (hi guys!), got a lot of sun (too much, actually), ate, played in the water, etc. From there we did a quick shopping trip and went back to the ship. Oh, there were 2 ships in port that day. Besides us, there was a Pullmantur ship, which we affectionately renamed "Pull My Hair" :eek: because it was hard to read from far away. We made jokes about what their sister ships would be - we came up with Who's Your Daddy and Slap Your Grandma (thanks for that one, Linda! LOL)

Grand Cayman was a laid back day. We were all burnt from the day before, so we took a short trip to Hell, sent postcards from there, ate, and did a little bit of shopping. My DH was burnt really badly in Jamaica, even after repeatedly putting on SPF50. A couple of RCI ships were in port that day, as well as the "Pull My Hair" ship ;)

Before we got to Cozumel, we decided not to go to the beach. By the time we would have gotten off the ship and to the beach, we figured that there wouldn't be much left as far as shady spots went. We shopped and ate at Pancho's Backyard instead. It was a good day :)

Debarkation back in Galveston was sloooooow. Not the ship's fault by any means. When our color was called, we were basically at a standstill because the gangway was clogged up. Customs and Immigration was the holdup, we suspect. I don't know if they added more lines, but once we got off the ship, things ran fairly quickly. We got outside to find a Holiday Inn shuttle already waiting (we didn't even call!), and the driver said that we were only the 3rd group to be picked up and it was after 9:30. She said it would be a long day too, because the RCI ship hadn't come back yet (don't know why but it was posted outside of the terminal, too).

Anyhow, that's all I can think of right now. If anyone has any questions, I'll try to answer as best I can :D

Thanks for the great review! I leave on the Conquest 28 May and can't wait. Also, staying on the Verandah deck. Do you recall the menus for the dining room? Any info would be great. Again, thanks for sharing.

Karen

Hello! We will be sailing in August on the conquest! How was your cabin on the verandah? We have cabin #8360 on the verandah and was wondering about noise from the lido as well as the overhang on the balcony. How was the live band? Did anyone you know do the ww rafting in Jamaica, if so, how was it? Thanks for the info!

KK41, the menus had a lot of variety and I'd say it would be hard to find something that you can't eat. I had seen a thread a while back with a link to menus, try doing a search on this forum for "conquest menu". Oh, on the night that they serve the caramelized apples with the puff pastry on the dessert menu, do try it. It was really yummy and better than the appl tart at The Point, IMHO.

txwildflower2002, our cabin was more forward so no noise whatsoever. We were even near the forward elevators and not a peep! Only on the balcony itself did we hear anything. A couple of times someone was drunk and kept saying the same thing over and over (both times!) but other than that, bliss... :D I don't think you'll have a problem!

We heard the band a few times in passing, but honestly I can't tell you if they were good or not. There were people dancing and stuff, so my guess is that they liked them!

I didn't run into anyone who did the rafting, either. It seemed that there were a good number of us who went to Sunset Beach, though. Heck, there was even a photographer from the ship who went to take pics of us all!

The next time we're in Jamaica, I want to do an itinerary that takes us to Ocho Rios so we can go to Dunns River Falls and not worry about the time.

Anyhow, hope that helps!

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are going on Conquest June 4 and can not wait for our VACATION!

In your opinion, would taking my camcorder to Sunset Beach get in my way of having fun? I want to take some video but I also want to have fun without worrying about where to leave the camera.

oldvato, people were leaving their stuff on lounge chairs while they were in the water and nobody bothered it. With our group, we had at least one person stay while the others went to the lazy river or ate, and we sorta took turns. No matter what, though, it was really relaxing and fun!

Bring a waterproof camera if you snorkel or swim (my son forgot his), there are lots of little fish out there! Oh, and if you walk along the jetty (in the water), you'll find sea urchins, hermit crabs, and other little fish, too. :)

Thanks DiaDeGuadalupe,

We just got a throw away underwater camera today. We do plan on doing some snorkeling. I also want to do a DVD of the trip and that's why I want to take my camcorder.

We leave Sunday on the Conquest. We are packing as we speak. We are driving to Galveston Saturday.

Thanks again.

What time was the muster drill? Seems like we just get started celebrating and then, muster drill! What a bummer. This cruise, I won't start celebrating until after! Thanks!!!!!!!

What time was the muster drill? Seems like we just get started celebrating and then, muster drill! What a bummer. This cruise, I won't start celebrating until after! Thanks!!!!!!!

LOL That's what we all say. :D