What if Bermuda Cruise goes to Canada?

I love that not one person who has posted to this thread yet was on that cruise but everyone seems to think that they have the information!!! That is funny--don't mean that comment mean it's just odd that you weren't there.

I was......my first and only cruise(until November when I sail on Splendour-YEAH!)

It was definitely not the most desirable turn of events. We all received about 75 onboard credit for port fees-nothing else but why would you expect anything else? RCI put the highest value on the safety of the passengers and I would expect nothing less--I had four kids to get home to. Yes, other ships went-----we talked to some of those folks who were on 7 day cruises that made the decision to go on in........they were sicker than dogs from rough seas-rained A LOT-Bermuda was not what they expected either due to the weather. They had no better cruise than we did.

Canada vs Bermuda? Well, besides a 30 degree or more temp difference that no one on board was prepared for, it was a nice visit. I felt bad for the folks who were FROM canada and then re-routed home!! The people in both St John and Halifax were wonderful---I almost felt like royalty. They were so thankful for an extra cruise/profit and it showed. Both places even though foggy/rainy/cold were wonderful places to visit, rich with history.

It's all what you make it..........if you were one of the idiots that ranted and raved through the whole cruise, organizing sit ins, booing the captain every time you saw him, calling news channels, etc etc then you deserved the misery you heaped on yourself and everyone around you. I for one, was ON A CRUISE and made the best of it. I slept every night on the balcony---in double layers of clothes*I bought a NY sweatshirt at the port as soon as I heard* my comforter off the bed and the ocean.....don't worry about what you can't change.

Happymomma, thank you for posting your experience. Good for you for making the best of a not so great situation. Hopefully your next cruise will be much warmer.

As somebody who truly seems to get it, you might join us on the Mustard of the Seas. We're sailing in February to the Eastern Caribbean and we promise to have a great time no matter what happens.

Pack a sweatshirt, Pete. :) You never know when you might need it.

Funny you say that.

Both my Canadian cruises, one in mid Sept, and one in early Oct., I ASSUMED the weather going north would be COLD, or at least cooler than in NY, plus I expected to see some Fall colors......NOT!

I packed warm, and brought along a pair of shorts to sleep in.

Well, both times it was WARM up there, plus the seas were glass, and there was no fog (I keep reading too many fog and fog horn stories). Good thing for the shorts!

Thank you HappyMamma for providing the information I was looking for.

I cruise during hurricane season however I also accept the risks that come along with that. Personally, I think others should do the same.

I know that if I book an Eastern I could end up with a Western. However, if I ever choose to do a Bermuda cruise it will not be during hurricane season as I have no desire to cruise to Eastern Canada (I am from Halifax). If you don't want to take the risks associated with hurricane season, than don't cruise during that time of year.

I cruise during hurricane season however I also accept the risks that come along with that. Personally, I think others should do the same.

I know that if I book an Eastern I could end up with a Western. However, if I ever choose to do a Bermuda cruise it will not be during hurricane season as I have no desire to cruise to Eastern Canada (I am from Halifax). If you don't want to take the risks associated with hurricane season, than don't cruise during that time of year.

Amen!!:)

Don't you know that the Canadian Gov't has been working on a system that will create bad weather in Bermuda so that more cruises get diverted to Canada :D

The reason they didn't go to Bermuda was that the hurricane had happened the week before. They didn't mind not going to Bermuda -- they were surprised that the ship headed North instead of South. When you are prepared for a warm water port and receive Boston, Portland and Nova Scotia instead -- you are going to be disappointed. RCCL did not do anything for them and did not even warn them in advance that the ports would be changed so that they could pack different clothing.

It could be worse! Imagine if you already lived in Canada and got diverted back home! Not much a vacation... :D

But not that bad either, no meals to cook, beds to make and all the entertainment and activities. In some cases, we consider the ship as much of a destination as the ports. I am sure if you lived in Canada or anywhere and had your heart set on seeing Bermuda, you would be disappointed but, as I said before, not as disappointed as you would be if the ship sailed into the teeth of a storm enroute. :)

We were also on this cruise. I had planned this cruise for my family. 3 generations ranging in age from 77 to 7, a total of 23 people.. Knowing that we were gambling with sailing in the middle of hurricane season I was constantly checking the "National Hurricane Center" in the days leading up to the departure.

I realized a few days before sailing that we had a good chance of not going to Bermuda. Royal Carribean posted on their website that we would be going to Canada the day before the sailing. Was I happy, no way, but you have to make the best of it.

Called everyone and told them to pack accordingly. We had a great time despite the rainy weather. It could have been better, it could have been a lot worse.

Unfortunatly, a number (not everyone) of the passengers lived up to the New York City/North Jersey reputation of being a bunch of inconsiderate, rude,whining Jerks.:mad:

I have never seen anyone else mention this, but a few months after the cruise everyone in my party started to recieve vouchers for 25% off a future cruise. We are all again sailing on RCI in June, this time on Empress.

Granduer, January 2000

Voyager, August 2004

Voyager, July 2005

Empress, June 2006

Freedom, November 2006

RCCL did tell people of the change.........just did not have enough time to reach out and call everyone personally and the hurricane wasn't the week before....

I remember seeing your group I think on formal night getting your picture made on the stairway---was that you? You were so beautiful as a family and very upbeat....yes you are right-------there were a bunch of trouble makers but I had fun anyway! Glad you did too....I did not get a discount but probably because we won the trip for free.

WAIT A MINUTE!!! Your brother-in-law is married to your sister-in-law? And she didn't like Boston? With so much history and culture? And there were no stores where she could buy an article or two of warm clothing to make the whole ordeal more bearable? Perhaps a Boston Red Sox sweatshirt? And "numerous" small ships went to Bermuda anyway? And you obviously believe the ship could have sailed to Bermuda, but perhaps RCCL decided instead to send the ship to New England because...........because..............because they were intentionally seeking bad publicity???

I rarely get any useful information out of a lot of these posts, but I read them anyway for some good laughs.

Isn't the point here that if you are cruising in hurricane season, the odds are greater that you may end up being diverted? And isn't this especially true of East Coast based cruises? While I too would be disappointed with my route being changed drastically, I wouldn't be surprised by it.

My suggestion is to pack a few warm clothes in case things change at the last minute. We are talking weather here, that despite all the advances in technology, is still hit and miss by times.

Enjoy your cruise and hope Bermuda is your destination. if you get rerouted, just remember that the Maritine provinces in Canada are well known for friendly people and good times (trust me, I grew up there). :)

Cheers

CCC

• 8 years later...
2006???? Time Warp!

I guess we're lucky this has only happened twice in 8 years. When doing a search, this is the only one I found. If there were others more recently, I failed in finding them.

It was interesting watching the opposite happen on the Carnival Spendor this year, where a ship bound for Canada was diverted to Bermuda. I was green with envy.

When does the Explorer return? Should be an interesting review.

Edited by Orison