X Strikes Again....

bepsf

This case is alittle different, however, from most cases. Brian was uncomfortable, unhappy, and coming down with Norovirus.

Excuse me, but I have reviewed Brian's various posts both on the HAL thread and the Celebrity forum that he commenced as the OP. There is not reference to Norovirius!!

In my opinion, and that of others, his reasons for leaving were rather facile. Please provide us what inside information that you have Reverend.

Hey, how 'bout we move on so this poor pony can find some eternal rest! I mean, holy crap

Nothing to see here, folks, just move along :rolleyes:

Still, there are many, many threads I've found to grow tedious. Do I post a "why don't you folks stop posting" message - or simply stop reading it? The latter, almost every time. Sometimes I do get sucked back in, but that's down to me, not the other posters.

If the Rev and Peaches (and JC and arzz, and - even - me :rolleyes:) want to jaw on for weeks about this - how does that affect you, John? Or do you think we'll devote less time to writing more "interesting" posts? :rolleyes:;):)

<see ALL those smilies??>

-dave

I've avoided getting a debit card because I'm afraid that money could get sucked out of my account before I even knew it...

You WISH that would be your only problem...our former bank would take out double the amount we charged on our Visa debit card as a coverage fee, then put it back in. For example, say we bought something at $300. They would take out another $300, so now our account would be down $600. Sometimes the 'extra' $300 wouldn't reappear for days or up to a week. We didn't know this for a looong time (they didn't really tell people this, gee I wonder why), and we kept wondering why our account kept overdrawing (and then they would charge us overdraft fees, etc). They told us *Visa* does this to make sure they get their money. We are no longer with this bank for this reason and many others, and the interesting thing is the credit union we are with now also has Visa debit cards and they do NOT take out double what you charge, so NO it was not Visa, it was the criminally insane bank doing this. :eek:

Brian, I am very glad everything was taken care of, and so sorry it took so long.

Ahh, that makes a bit more sense, but I still think I would rather have room service bring me chicken soup as to have to go open my own campbells and nuke it. ;) Of course, my roommates might not agree. :D

jc

JC, I normally would agree with you. I've never left a cruise early, and even if I were sick I think I probably wouldn't myself (not unless there were some very good reasons to leave ... as in danger of death or of seriously infecting/harming others, etc.

This case is alittle different, however, from most cases. Brian was uncomfortable, unhappy, and coming down with Norovirus. And, the day he disembarked his ship was docked IN San Francisco. In other words, it was a short taxi ride from the ship terminal to his apartment. His home was about 20 or so minutes from the ship! Given this factor, I can see WHY he would decide to check himself off the ship.

Greg, I think Peaches' point was that from a business standpoint it wouldn't be considered a long time, from a personal standpoint of course it was and everyone agrees it was horrendous for Brian.

Brian was ill onboard and Brian was kind enough to spare everyone all the details:o . He did, however, mention on one of the threads fairly early on that he had become ill. I still believe that if it was not ill, he probably would have hung in for the rest of the cruise and hoped his situation would improve.

The only way to make a thread go away is to not post on it and before you know it, it goes into the dead zone. As long as people post it will continue alive and well and go to the top of the heap. To post and say "please let's stop" will not get it off the front page.

Personally I found this thread interesting from many standpoints. Most times it ceased to be about Brian's ordeal and just opened up a very interesting discussion. I think it far outranks several other threads, but that's just me;) .

All this mess aside, Customer Service is getting flakey.

I had a small problem with a medical bill so called the 800 number.

Later in the conversation, I made a remark that someone was making an

omniopent decision. I wasn't yelling or anything. No bad attitude, just preplexed at a decision that did not jive with the insurance rules.

At this point the call center girl in Iowa told me that I was using vulgar language and she was not going to listen to it.

I asked her what I had said, she told me she could not repeat it for she would get in trouble. !!

I guess the word omniopent sounded bad to her and she was going to stop the conversation. :D

I asked if I could speak to a supervisor because I really needed to get an answer.

The supervisor told me that his people were not expected to listen to vulgar language. I assured him that I did not use bad language.

Very interesting, tech!

I must say, I have never heard of the word "omniopent."

It's not in the dictionary either.

Can you clarify?

Perhaps that call center person was perplexed because omniopent is not a word, thus she interpreted it to be a slang term?

The only way to make a thread go away is to not post on it and before you know it, it goes into the dead zone. As long as people post it will continue alive and well and go to the top of the heap. To post and say "please let's stop" will not get it off the front page.

Personally I found this thread interesting from many standpoints. Most times it ceased to be about Brian's ordeal and just opened up a very interesting discussion. I think it far outranks several other threads, but that's just me;) .

I totally agree -- with both comments!

This thread has gone through several good discussions and is more interesting than, say, another thread on jeans in the dining room.

I can never understand when someone (or some number of people) will post a thread that it is time for it to end.

I mean nothing personal to anyone but it will end....when it ends.

It can end for anyone who has tired of it when they stop reading it.

If others continue to comment to the thread, they must still be interested for it to remain active.

If you are sick of it, easy.......stop reading it.

JMHO, as always. :)

Very interesting, tech!

I must say, I have never heard of the word "omniopent."

It's not in the dictionary either.

Can you clarify?

Perhaps that call center person was perplexed because omniopent is not a word, thus she interpreted it to be a slang term?

I belive tech simply mis-keyed the word "Omnipotent" which Webster's defines as "Having absolute power or authority".

Sorry, spelled it wrong but I bet you could still figure out my meaning.

Another problem my keyboard is really acting strange...well keys are sticking or not posting. I have got to have it cleaned up.

Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake. But I did pronounce it correctly to the call center. I was not required to spell it out. :)

It always helps for someone to be around to help with our mistakes.:)

om·nip·o·tent Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all-powerful. See Usage Note at infinite.

n.1. One having unlimited power or authority: the bureaucratic omnipotents.

2. Omnipotent God. Used with the.

om·nipprime.gifo·tence, om·nipprime.gifo·ten·cy n.

om·nipprime.gifo·tent·ly adv.

hm();Sources=Sources | 2;The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Another problem my keyboard is really acting strange...well keys are sticking or not posting. I have got to have it cleaned up.

Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake. But I did pronounce it correctly to the call center. I was not required to spell it out.

It always helps for someone to be around to help with our mistakes.

om·nip·o·tent Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all-powerful. See Usage Note at infinite.

n.1. One having unlimited power or authority: the bureaucratic omnipotents.

2. Omnipotent God. Used with the.

om·nipprime.gifo·tence, om·nipprime.gifo·ten·cy n.

om·nipprime.gifo·tent·ly adv.

hm();Sources=Sources | 2;The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

I tried to "have your back" there tech.

I have alot of trouple with keys sticking etc. on all of the Dell keyboards I use. They really are pieces of junk...I'm just too lazy to go replace them, and have no choice @ work.

(You may all now return to your regularly scheduled rantings and ravings......:D )

Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake. But I did pronounce it correctly to the call center. I was not required to spell it out. :)

It always helps for someone to be around to help with our mistakes.:)

Tech,

I was not pointing out a spelling error. I was trying to decipher exactly what the word was.

Since you used it twice in your post, I did not attribute it to a typo. And since the rest of your post appeared fine, I certainly did not think it was a sticky keyboard situation! :)

I really could not figure out the word from the context. Sorry.

Thanks for clearing that up. I certainly know what "omnipotent" means.

But since I couldn't hear you pronounce it, I had to rely on what you wrote! And the word puzzled me.

K&RCurt,

Thanks for your fine input!

Don't you just hate it when those pesky keyboards get sticky?

I know it happens a lot.

08 Ask and you shall receive!! That's what "service" is all about.

So you're saying you didn't like my own smiling face???14

It is good to see Molly again.

LOL Your pix is fine, but Molly is sooooo cute !:D

Now back to the subject.

I also thought the thread has some interesting posts. Dress code gets so boring.

K& RCurt,

I am on a Dell keyboard ! It is driving me crazy. I am at home so maybe I need to take a trip to the store and get a decent keyboard.

If I type fast, then re-read it, I find missing letters...it is not fun.

Thanks for telling me about the keyboard, figured it was just my typing.:)

The other was just a spelling error. Do make them at times. :D

Iggi, just go back several posts and you'll see Brian's post that finally all is well. But he goes into more detail.

tech, have to say honestly I looked up "omniopent" because since you used it twice I honestly thought it was a word I did not know. I did think omnipotent fit and you might mean that. But when I looked up "omniopent" Google asked me if I meant "omnipoint":) . I told them no I didn't;) . Always loved that word, btw, and can't imagine how they could have thought it was vulgar!!! LOL!:D

I have a sticky button on my DVR remote ... drives me crazy. As for sticky keys, try some of that canned air. Sometimes that helps.

So, Gizmo, you're saying I'm not cute???:o

Sail, loved your post! Well said and, as you can guess, I couldn't agree more!

Does anyone know where Brian is at with trying to get his money back?

HI IGGI!

As Heather said, Brian finally got his money back a page or 2 back.

I haven't "seen" you on here recently so when i saw your post I felt the need to jump in and say "Hi". I hope all is well with you and Drayke.

HI IGGI!

As Heather said, Brian finally got his money back a page or 2 back.

I haven't "seen" you on here recently so when i saw your post I felt the need to jump in and say "Hi". I hope all is well with you and Drayke.

Dead horse? Just goes to show that sometimes the most controversial threads bring back old friends. Missed you too, Iggy. This thread has been so productive as far as real discussions of not only the original topic but the diversions to that topic. Y'all are the greatest.

Personally, I still can't imagine leaving a cruise after 2 days. Honestly, the idea would never have entered my mind. I think I could have roughed it thru til the end. I guess I am just a gamer!:D

jc

Thanks for expressing what I was thinking.:)

I have been sick on a cruise before and even if there was a port I could have left the ship at , I probably wouldn't have.

I guess I was raised with a more positive outlook......it would be hard for me let setbacks ruin a vacation. But then I don't spend too much time looking for ship defects either. :) Lifes too short and I can't cruise nearly enough!

I hate to begin to judge Brian's feelings while on that criuse.

I don't feel qualified to say what he should have done. I don't even know what I would have done.

He doesn't need me to support him but I do feel it useful to point out the old adage about 'walking a mile in someone else's shoes' before we decide what that someone should have felt/done in the circumstances.

It was his job to make his choice. I see it as my job to respect his right to make that choice without my judging it.

JMHO.......

To be perfectly honest.......I truthfully believe there are conditions under which we would leave a vacation early.

I hate to begin to judge Brian's feelings while on that criuse.

I don't feel qualified to say what he should have done. I don't even know what I would have done.

He doesn't need me to support him but I do feel it useful to point out the old adage about 'walking a mile in someone else's shoes' before we decide what that someone should have felt/done in the circumstances.

It was his job to make his choice. I see it as my job to respect his right to make that choice without my judging it.

JMHO.......

To be perfectly honest.......I truthfully believe there are conditions under which we would leave a vacation early.

Completely agree. I did walk a mile in his shoes and I do have a positive outlook. I was talking about me.:)

Well said Sail7Seas, :)

That is the way the whole discussion should be approached.

We packed up and came home from a land vacation in San Diego one time.

Just felt better at home with our own Doctors, etc.

Archived