Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaisyL

Dawn, Just back! 5/20-27/06

This was our third time on the Dawn and loved the cruise. The ship docked early, 7 AM although the docs said 10 AM.. We took advantage of early disembarkation... the announcement was made at 8 AM and we were on the Henry Hudson parkway by 8:30 AM .. home by 9:30 AM.. :)

I'll be writing a review shortly, but we had a great time... We thought the food selections for dinner were not as varied as last year but the quality was very good. I think picky eaters would definitely have a problem with choices for dinner. Someone had posted the menus, so just do a search.

We were able to get window tables in the main dining rooms most nights and breakfasts.. absolutely beautiful .... The ship is very clean with the crew constantly sprucing..

We were lucky with very smooth seas with max waves 4-7.5 ft. a few times otherwise 0-4 ft. Great on deck weather, although not much shade spots to get relief from the sun.

This itinerary is very interesting with the addition of Bermuda for 1 day, and 3 full sea days, and it was the most relaxing cruise ever ... We were able to use the forward hot tub many times and had no problems finding lounge chairs (if you stray from the main pool area).

We thoroughly enjoyed this cruise and the Dawn and would surely cruise with her again ...

Hi Daisy, did you make it to the meet & greet on the first day? Due to the delayed departure and subsequent bbq, we did not make it.

Hi Robinleslie, we were sitting by the pool and looked at my watch and saw 5:15 ... we ran to the Star Bar but it was closed due to a private party ... so we missed it too ...

Did anyone get to meet ?

Hi maurick, we were not planning on the Dawn this year (PoAm in Oct.) but such great rates were offered a few weeks before and we jumped on it ... Luckily, my DH and I have flexible vacation .. ;)

Hi all,

Was also on this cruise and had a blast. Didn't realize there was CC meet set up because I forgot to check back on the Roll call threads (even though I started the thread way back).

Anyhow, as a first-time cruiser, I have nothing to compare any of this to, so I'm sure others will have different opinions. But I must say I think this cruise will set a very high standard for me to compare to for future cruises. Just a quick run down of the highlights (I too will attempt detailed review soon).

Itinerary: Never been to Bermuda or Bahamas, so I had a great time in all the ports. In Bermuda, took the bus to Horsehoe Bay, then continued to Hamilton and ferried it back to King's Wharf for our excursion. Did the Bell Helmet Dive and had a blast even though the fishes mostly refused to eat from our hands. Water temp. was about 72, so it was a bit chilly.

As for GSC, I thought the itinerary could have reduced the time spent there (it was cloudy for most of the day we were there) and get to Nassau earlier to get some shopping/sightseeing done. The way it is now, the 8pm arrival means the shops are mostly closed, leaving you with only Atlantis, Senor Frogs, or stay on the ship overnight. And the noon departure time the next day doesn't allow you much time except for the excursions. I headed to Atlantis that night to tour the Digs for free and spent the morning shopping, exploring Nassau.

Cruise Director: Mike Szwajkowski - I thought he was excellent and very entertaining. Looks like David Schwimmer. Very funny and energetic. Didn't see him around the ship mingling or socializing too much. But he was at most of the "main" activities / shows and made a good host. Chatted quickly with him at the end of a show. I don't know if he was telling the truth or not, but for the next few weeks, he will be on different ships (one out of Boston and the Jewel in the Meditteranean) and then he will be the permanent CD on the Dawn.

Embarkation: Chaotic. 3 ships on port at once led to a traffic nightmare, so I didn't get there as early as I had hoped. Got to the terminal between 11:30 and noon and didn't get on board til about 2PM.

Room: Inside room on 5th deck. Adequate space with enough closet space and shelves for 2 people who packed in moderation. Overall, the room was kept very clean throughout, but I didn't stay in there much.

Dining: Tried Le Bistro, La Trattoria, Salsa, Teppanyanki and ate in all of the main dining rooms at least once, including Blue Lagoon. Overall, the food quality was very good with a decent variety for everybody. My favorite dining room was the Venetian, so I tried to go there for all my meals. (It is the only restaurant open for all 3 meals other than the buffet).

Entertainment: Plenty of activities and shows to keep everyone busy. The Second City improv comedy, Dr. Trance's Hypnosis, the International Crew Show ("Fountains" was hilarious), and Bollywood were very good shows. South Beach Rave was ok IMO.

Disembarkation: No problems at all. We arrived early (7AM). Express checkout started at 8AM. I was still having breakfast in Venetian. At around 9:15, I walked off with all my baggage (without doing the Express) when my tag color was called. Just handed the port agent my Customs form and exited. No checking of passports, bags, etc.

Weather: Nassau and Bermuda was perfect, sunny all day. The sea days were usually cloudy as was GSC.

More to come soon... hopefully

maxima81 --- we will be on the dawn on 6/3. thanks for review.

can you tell me where you get the bus for horsehoe bay?

larry

In Bermuda, as soon as you get off the ship and walk through the security building, turn right and grab the maps/brochures and then there are a few windows that sell the $12 one-day unlimited ride passes good for the buses and ferries. I think you can also purchase single-ride tokens for $4 each. I'd recommend you purchase your fares here if the lines are short.

The ship actually docks off a narrow strip of land that juts out of the main town. There will be a shuttle bus right in front that will take you the very short (walkable) distance into town and drop you off right at the bus stop and in front of where the ferry pulls in, so you can't miss either.

Just a word of advice, when we got there there were two #7 buses, one that displayed "Hamilton" and one that displayed "Horseshoe Bay" since it is supposed to go directly there. But if that "Horseshoe Bay" bus isn't near capacity (it won't leave unitl it's almost full), just hop on the regular "Hamilton" #7 bus since it runs the same route there and doesn't have to be full to leave. There is only one main road that runs through the island from King's Wharf to Horseshoe Bay and is pretty much single lane each direction. Thus whichever bus leaves first will definitely get you to Horseshoe Bay first.

Have fun!