Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

corona crew

JUst back from Carnival Conquest, review!

Just got back from the Conquest on May 28th, had a party of 12 people. If you have a qestion just ask and i'll try to answer it.

EZCRUISE parking service is great.... so easy and so secure we were well pleased with the pick up service (both ways)

1st try your best to do the self assist when you disembark it is sooo much faster. we had 2 out of 12 that couldn't because they didn't have wheels on their luggage and we were on the 8th deck very close to the top only 1 below the pool and buffet and it was a nightmare. Next time i will purchase a cheap wheeled duffle bag and limit everyone to 1 or 2 carry ons and 1 very large suitcase with wheels. the line moves so slow that you can easily carry a large peice with wheels. remember if you bring liquor back it takes up room and in all honesty the laundry mat on board is GREAT so use it and leave some stuff home.

A note on clothes, you will wear your favorite stuff more than once and i found i wore capri's alot, you can wear them in the formal dinning room (NO SHORTS) so as long as you have them on your good to go. blue jeans are fine for guys and girls in the dinning room just no shorts. Shoes, flip flops and slides great, heals BAD. I brought 6 pair of shoes and wore 3, 2 were slids and 1 pair of nikes. almost busted my butt in the heels on formal night, there are marble inserts in the carpet in the formal dinning room be careful they will trip you.

We purchased drinks on board and brought some liquor too. no problem as long as it is put in you check in bag and not on your carry on. I did bring a huge charger of Champaign in my carry on, no problem. Just remember what you bring you need to drink you will need the extra room we brought back about 3 that we couldn't drink. Also brought a 6 pack of bottled water and 2 6 packs of coke. bottles of liquor on board are large litter bottles not 5ths so they have excellent prices but you can't get it till the last night... but still a great price got 4 litters of CRUISING rum for 24 dollars NOTE tipped my room steward 10 the 1st day and he keep ice in my collapeable ice chest the entire time.... my husband used this as his carry on then we used it as an ice chest the rest of the time... make sure you get one with a vinyl linner so it won't leak .

Service was great, BLT from room service to die for!!! food was great.

getting on the ship was easy getting off was BAD, ( CAyMan and Conzemel ports were BAD).

People smoke on the ship and we had smoke coming into out balcony alot

it has something to do with the air flow on the balconys. you smell it more from people above and below you...?? go figure.

If you want to see rude drunk teenagers make the mistake of going to the buffet lines exspecially the pizza, please don't send me ugly comments about this we had 7 teens in our group but none of them held a candle to some of the thing i saw.... just wait. the cussing was like watching a bad rap video. the sit down lunch, breakfast and dinner are excellent. You can wear shorts for breakfast and lunch in the formal dinning rooms and they do sit you with dif. people but we meet some great people.

1st port Jamaca.... augh... DO NOT GO ALONE... why carnival stops here is beyond me. 3 dollars to get on bus from protected terminal 4 dollars to go to Margaritaville. We stayed at margaritaville all day it was great, kids did contest and swam. our bill for12 people was 400 dollars...so it aint cheap. You are at the mercy of the crown as soon as you walk out the door, get ready, there will be at least 20 drivers wanting to take you somewhere, 20 drug sellers wanting to sell you something and 5 or 10 guys holding tie on braclets (if they tie these on to you, you have to give them 3 dollars so keep your hands in. And if anyone ask you have been to jamaca many times, NEVER TELL THEM THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME. we had a great driver that protected us and gave us pointers, This place is terrible and it is very dangerous. Margarittaville was safe but they had huge guards surrounding it. One good thing we docked and didn't have to take a tender in. P>S. 2 boys from baton rouge were caught with cocain they were put in the jamaca jail and their parents had to fly down to get them out... NO KIDDING we did not see them after jamaca

2 cayman island, beautiful, flat EXPENSIVE island. everything is in british pounds and for example a bag of lays potatoe chips at the grocery store was 6.00 u s money. we hired a private guide it was cheeper and much better than the ships shore excursion. we got to drive (they drive on the wrong side of the road and there are no roads that go across the island you must go all the way around. we had jeeps and pt cruisers all convertables. i highly recomend a private guide. After being on a ship with thousand of people it is nice to only have 12 or 13 in the group here is the address

grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com

we were at rum point and 2 party barges came up and a bus (around 300 poeple) so we had the luxury of leaving while other people were sitting around waiting to leave. they were not happy but we were, rum factory had great cakes wish i would have bought more and the Pirate cliff was beautiful. and have no fear swimming island is protected by a reaf .

only bad part was getting aboard tender to get back to ship... word of advise 1ST ONE ON IS THE LAST ONE OFF, that is just how it works and they do not leave until they are full and these suckers hold like 300 - 500 people. And if your lucky like us you will have an idiot that smokes a cigar the entire time you are waiting ( this was ON the tender ).... we almost all got together to throw his sorry butt overboard!!! augh

Cozemel, pretty place we just shopped the guy drank 1.00 beer at the local flee marker/ bar on the strip. Just remember sterling silver is not that expensive except in mexico...omg... you must tender to get back to the ship and these are fully enclosed and they hold about 500 as well... Saw people almost get in a fight with a drunk who couldn't stop cussing in front of small kids as a matter of fact his entire group was drunk ... p.s. they sell beer and drinks on the tender... this actually helped make a bad situation ever worse.... no kidding. Took forever to load and unload 1 hour . remember the golden rule "LAST ONE ON IS THE 1ST ONE OFF."

i would have gladly stood if it meant getting off sooner

Main thing to remeber the ConQUEST is huge but to get off and get on there is only 1 door way... it is so slow . And when it is time to go they go , we saw the ship moving as the tender was still attatched to it...no kidding.

had a great time with a great group of people but will not go back on the CONQUEST agian i will go for a smaller ship that doesn't go to JAMACA it was just too many people.

if you have any special questions email me at pamclay@yahoo.com i'll try to answer them while it is fresh on my mind.

We are going in August and was concerned about this being the largest ship we have gone on. There will be seven of us DH and myself, DS's and GF"S- College age and DD 16. This is the kids first cruise. We have a guide for Jamaica, sailing in Coz, and renting a car in Caymans. Just curious as we are on the 8th floor, was there any noise coming from the lido deck above? Hope they have the tender kinks out by then!

This goes to show you how different reviews can be. We were on the Conquest in Dec. and are going again in July, and didn't experience any of the problems the op experienced.

The Conquest is a big ship, but after the first couple of days, it doesn't feel that way.

If you will take a guided tour of Jamaica, it isn't so bad, and the tendering in the other ports are not bad at all. Just like anything you do, it takes patience.

We love the Conquest and recommend it to anyone.

Luanne

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We will be on the Conquest in November. Any problems driving on the left side in the Caymans?

We never made it to the Caymans. the weather was bad, but we did see the coast from several different sides trying to tender.:) Hopefully someone else made it.

Luanne

No problem with noise at all. it was very quite. only noise i can say was in the dinning room we were 2nd seating at monet and the dinning room is at the back of the ship so our table vibrated pretty good and there was a little noise. if you are in the monet, make sure you walk all the way to the last exit and take the elevator there it will bring you straight to it the elevaor by our room 8253 would not we were about in the middle of the ship. hope this helps.

driving in the caymans was alot harder than what i thought. the car steering wheel was on the regular side but everyone drove on the other side. As long as you have a guide it is ok. We had 4 jeeps in our group and the only near wreak came when we were pulling out, we looked in the wrong direction but the people in the caymans were very nice to us and stopped. I wouldn't recomend doing it without a guide. They have the weirdest intersections they are like trafic circles and the signs say " give way" instead of "yeild" i don't think we had any 4 way stops they were all like the circular spode like traffic circles (kind of). Also there is only one road that cuts across the island and most of the time you have to drive around the entire island just to get to a spot you can see across the bay... But the sites are BEAUTIFUL , the plants and the homes are great... and you can still see alot of the hurrican damage. It was just alot of driving and you really can't think ahead as you drive it is just too confusing all you can do is follow and hope nothing is coming...lol.. hope this helps.

I had heard so many terrible things about Jamacia that I was worried when the Liberty changed from Costa Maya to Jamacia. I actually really enjoyed my time there. I love mountains and found the island in places to be very beautiful. I'd go back in a heartbeat. I saw no drug dealer but than again I'm not sure I would know a drug dealer. I did book my tour through Carnival only because they had us scared to death with all the warnings. Next time I would not hesitate to pre book on my own. (of course this time I didn't know we were going to Jamacia until I was in line boarding the ship.)

tess51

We rented a car in Grand Cayman and loved it. We drove to Rum Beach and my BIL (his first time driving on the "other" side) said it wasn't bad at all. I would definitely recommend this.

Thanks Corona Crew and Cathyoo for the info on driving. I think we will do some kind of driving excursion.

Great review.. Glad to hear you had a good time overall.. We have been on Conquest 2 times and our third will be in October.. So far this is one of my favorite ships.. I love the ports too.. We have been to Jamaica twice .. the first time we just took a taxi and went to Margarittaville and experienced exactly what you talked about right outside Margarittaville.. not a good thing when you've had a few too many drinks.. The last time we went we hired Trevor Hudlin ahead of time and he picked us up at the pier and took us everywhere we wanted to go and for a little sightseeing also.. He dropped us off right in front of Margarittaville.. close enough for noone to mess with us and when we got out he was right there waiting and warded off everyone that was closeby.. He was worth every penny.. I have booked him again for our upcoming trip .. Now that I have experienced Jamaica both ways, I wouldnt go without him again.. Yikes about the tendering in Cozumel.. I was wondering how they were handling this and it sounds like its gonna be crowded either way..

We've used EZ Cruise parking and I agree they are wonderful.. We are also going with an independant tour operator out of Grand Cayman.. Much cheaper than the ship..

I think that the size is not the issue with the Conquiest class ships, it is the number of people that is ridiculous. Too many people all going to the same places. Not a well designed ship for that reason and the promenade that is only 3/4 of the way around that ship!.

How odd that we just sailed on the exact same ship 2 weeks ago and had a completely different experience. Loved Jamaica so much we are planning on going back someday with our kids to an all inclusive. We did an excursion and followed the tips on this board about doing your shopping at the port entrance. Only asked for drugs once and wasn't pushy about it. Our driver was great at keeping us out of trouble. RESEARCH beforehand, it will help so much! :)

Tendering was fine for us too. In fact in Cozumel, except for the initial getting off the ship (due to them trying to get us off sooner because we missed Cayman), it was super fast. We forgot our cc so we had to retender, run up to our room and back to the port again, all done within 1/2 hour. We were on the tender 4 times waiting less than 10 min each time. I wonder what changed?

I am super jealous you even got to go to Grand Cayman. I would have waited an hour to tender off if it were possible. :(