• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

RCCL is playing us against eachother and they know it.

Ok so they have rules. Some of us dont like them and follow them anyway, some say they are going to do what they want to do.

I have been cruising for years before everyone else found out how economical it really is.

As long as they have rules and dont enforce them fleet wide, we will challenge them here on the boards. Now, I am not happy with all of them but most of them yes.

Suggested Formal attire does not mean "just any old sports coat and tie".

No children in the adult pools. Period.

No children playing Quest. This is adult time.

No food off the ship.

No alcohol in the cabin.

No saving deck chairs.

Etc....

I think they (RCCL) are still in the mind set that if we upset our guests, they wont be back. Meanwhile, there are new cruisers born everyday, and some dont go back because the rules arent enforsed.

I've seen it all on cruises most recently in the past couple of years. I can tell you on the Explorer several years ago, most dressed formal EVERY night. Now, well, its just not the same cruise experience.

I am not trying to start a war here, I just want to know how many of you feel the same way I do. If you dont like what I posted, its my opinion.

If the rules are enforsed, you wouldnt see the answers about formal dressing we see now. For example, there is one on here now, where a new cruiser askes about formal night. Somebody truly did respond that ANY old sport jacket and tie would do. I'd love to see a post where the person tried to enter the dining room and were asked to enjoy thier meal in the Windjammer, or other venues.

Or, questions about bringing food off the ship. Love to see a response about someone being told to leave thier lunch on the ship but feel free to come back and enjoy the dining room or Windjammer. You get my point?

Kids in adult pools, same thing. RCCL needs to back up the product they are selling to new cruisers and old timers like some of us here on the boards.

Off my soap box and on with the flame resistant suit (formal that is!:D ) Unless of course you want to beat me up in the Windjammer, then I'll wear shorts and a top.

Kidding aside, can we keep this civil and discuss it as adults?

I think RCCL needs to step up to the plate here.

Edited to say, sorry about the typos, too tired to check.

You're correct that cruising has changed over the last ten years. The lines are going more and more towards the mass market arena and with that brings in a whole new cruiser. Some of this is good and obviously some not so good. It has brought the price of cruising down but at what price?

You now have the attitude of "it's my vacation and to hell with everyone else" that you did not see when I first starting cruising twenty years ago.

But it is up the cruise lines to enforce the rules that they have set. Until that happens and it is cut and dry, we will be having these discussions on here and all other cruise boards.

Go Voyager!! I am the mother of 4, If I don't have to follow the rules why do they ??????? Keep ALL the kids out of the adult pools and adult only areas, ect,, I could not have said it better. Sail on everyone:D polarismom

I agree with everything you said. But unfortunately in our postmodern society we're infected with the "anything goes- so deal with it" attitude. Too bad…

~Steph

So, what can we do? And, thanks for not getting after me! ;)

I already found a way to avoid most of these stressful situations. The solution for me is cruising in the off season. After my Enchantment cruise last July I swore of ever sailing during the summer again. No rules were being enforced (regarding out of control children and babies in adult pools and jacuzzi's) and our cruise experience was ruined.

Ok, this may be far fetched, but hear me out. What if we had a petition to RCCL. I have in the past contacted Richard Fain about something totally different, and know he would respond to us. At the very least, maybe he could answer some of our questions and concerns. I did have the occasion to meet with him under unusual circumstances here in Sarasota.

Hummm. Let me think this one over.......

I already found a way to avoid most of these stressful situations. The solution for me is cruising in the off season. After my Enchantment cruise last July I swore of ever sailing during the summer again. No rules were being enforced (regarding out of control children and babies in adult pools and jacuzzi's) and our cruise experience was ruined.

Hey Kewlguy, I usually cruise off season too, but what about those that cant? There just has to be an answer to this. Cruising is a wonderful vacation and I understand the "mass cruise line therory" but......

I dont know, I am at a loss here.

I shudder to think what it will be like say, in 5 years. Years and years ago I told my pop that someday their would be a cruise ship so big that it docks in Miami, and never leaves port. You would just get on a "people mover" till you got to the Virgin Islands. Looks like I am booked on her this October (Freedom) LOL :D

Edited to say, I KNOW that the Freedom is not going to the Virgin Islands. I dont want to start an itinarary war either.

Thanks Voyager for your opinion of modern cruising. This topic comes up every now and then and I can't help responding, always of the same opinion as yours, except that I almost always get cruisified for suggesting that the dress code be followed in the dining rooms. I love the formal nights. We don't often get the chance to strut our stuff anymore because everything has become so casual. I haven't cruised RCCL for 6 years as we have been on a few Princess cruises and I was hoping RCCL hadn't gone the way of Princess where almost any rule is made to be broken, especially in the dining room and the pool area. I love kids but on my cruise I don't want to trip over several hundred of them on the decks. I wonder if any of the cruise lines have thought of having a few cruises that state "ALL RULES WILL BE ENFORCED" and then another one which may be more appealing to some cruisers stating "ALL CASUAL - NO RULES". On any given occasion any of us may feel like taking an all casual cruise or a more formal sophisticated one. How about it cruise lines?

Thanks Voyager for your opinion of modern cruising. This topic comes up every now and then and I can't help responding, always of the same opinion as yours, except that I almost always get cruisified for suggesting that the dress code be followed in the dining rooms. I love the formal nights. We don't often get the chance to strut our stuff anymore because everything has become so casual. I haven't cruised RCCL for 6 years as we have been on a few Princess cruises and I was hoping RCCL hadn't gone the way of Princess where almost any rule is made to be broken, especially in the dining room and the pool area. I love kids but on my cruise I don't want to trip over several hundred of them on the decks. I wonder if any of the cruise lines have thought of having a few cruises that state "ALL RULES WILL BE ENFORCED" and then another one which may be more appealing to some cruisers stating "ALL CASUAL - NO RULES". On any given occasion any of us may feel like taking an all casual cruise or a more formal sophisticated one. How about it cruise lines?

You know Mae, I was thinking the same thing about a "all rules will be enforced" cruise. Wouldnt that be absolutley wonderful? I would pay extra for that, but thats my point, we shouldnt have to if the rules were enforced. I see know reason why any of us should be flammed for suggesting that RCCL follow thier own rules.

Happy formal cruising........:D And, kid free pools where posted.

Ok so they have rules. Some of us dont like them and follow them anyway, some say they are going to do what they want to do.

I have been cruising for years before everyone else found out how economical it really is.

As long as they have rules and dont enforce them fleet wide, we will challenge them here on the boards. Now, I am not happy with all of them but most of them yes.

Suggested Formal attire does not mean "just any old sports coat and tie".

No children in the adult pools. Period.

No children playing Quest. This is adult time.

No food off the ship.

No alcohol in the cabin.

No saving deck chairs.

Etc....

I think they (RCCL) are still in the mind set that if we upset our guests, they wont be back. Meanwhile, there are new cruisers born everyday, and some dont go back because the rules arent enforsed.

I've seen it all on cruises most recently in the past couple of years. I can tell you on the Explorer several years ago, most dressed formal EVERY night. Now, well, its just not the same cruise experience.

I am not trying to start a war here, I just want to know how many of you feel the same way I do. If you dont like what I posted, its my opinion.

If the rules are enforsed, you wouldnt see the answers about formal dressing we see now. For example, there is one on here now, where a new cruiser askes about formal night. Somebody truly did respond that ANY old sport jacket and tie would do. I'd love to see a post where the person tried to enter the dining room and were asked to enjoy thier meal in the Windjammer, or other venues.

Or, questions about bringing food off the ship. Love to see a response about someone being told to leave thier lunch on the ship but feel free to come back and enjoy the dining room or Windjammer. You get my point?

Kids in adult pools, same thing. RCCL needs to back up the product they are selling to new cruisers and old timers like some of us here on the boards.

Off my soap box and on with the flame resistant suit (formal that is!:D ) Unless of course you want to beat me up in the Windjammer, then I'll wear shorts and a top.

Kidding aside, can we keep this civil and discuss it as adults?

I think RCCL needs to step up to the plate here.

Edited to say, sorry about the typos, too tired to check.

Here we go again!

I think Mae has it right. It is all about the ability to deliver a product based on what people will pay. If enough people want a cruise that is enforcing all the rules and runs a tight ship and they want to pay a higher price to get that then the cruise lines will deliver that. If RC takes one med sized ship (Jewell for example) and runs it for a 7 day cruise with slightly higher prices, you can be guaranteed that their will be no kids on it and it will most likely be folks who just want to relax. Of course you could always travel on HAL to see what it would be like (LOL).

;)

Mike

I think Mae has it right. It is all about the ability to deliver a product based on what people will pay. If enough people want a cruise that is enforcing all the rules and runs a tight ship and they want to pay a higher price to get that then the cruise lines will deliver that. If RC takes one med sized ship (Jewell for example) and runs it for a 7 day cruise with slightly higher prices, you can be guaranteed that their will be no kids on it and it will most likely be folks who just want to relax. Of course you could always travel on HAL to see what it would be like (LOL).

;)

Mike

Although I have read several wonderful things about HAL ships, I wont graduate to that class for another 20-30 years. I will however let you know how I like it if your still posting on these boards at that time! :D

I am really liking the civility of this thread. I know HAL has an older passenger base and a quiter cruise and the cost is slightly higher but that isn't necessarily what I want. I like the fun and excitement on the Voyager class ships. I haven't reached the HAL age yet. Voyager is right on with this one. We shouldn't have to pay extra for something that we should be entitled to as patrons of RCCL and passengers on any of their cruises. We should be able to expect that everyone on the ship of our choice is there to have a good time, meet new people and show some semblence of respect for the rules set up by the cruise lines.

Ok, this may be far fetched, but hear me out. What if we had a petition to RCCL. I have in the past contacted Richard Fain about something totally different, and know he would respond to us. At the very least, maybe he could answer some of our questions and concerns. I did have the occasion to meet with him under unusual circumstances here in Sarasota.

Hum mm. Let me think this one over.......

The best way to let the cruise line know about how you feel about the rules is to write it down on your comment card at the end of your cruise. If enough people write down that they don't like the lack of rule enforcement, they will do something about it.

Or you could tell people to write their own letter. I did that about another issue.

I am really liking the civility of this thread. I know HAL has an older passenger base and a quiter cruise and the cost is slightly higher but that isn't necessarily what I want. I like the fun and excitement on the Voyager class ships. I haven't reached the HAL age yet. Voyager is right on with this one. We shouldn't have to pay extra for something that we should be entitled to as patrons of RCCL and passengers on any of their cruises. We should be able to expect that everyone on the ship of our choice is there to have a good time, meet new people and show some semblence of respect for the rules set up by the cruise lines.

Yes ! Totally agreed here !

It's nice to have a educated thread about what we want and would like in our cruising experience. Thanks Mae for keeping it on a "good" topic.

Edited to say "Good Civil" thread as well.

I can understand all the rules with the kids and stuff, mine is grown up and I dont want to deal with kids while on vacation BUT... why does it bother you if joe blow wants to wear a suit he thinks is formal? Who is the fashion critic to say what is or not formal? I went on NCL and loved the relaxed atmosphere, I am not planning on wearing any gowns on RCL. I will be wearing the black pants and nice blouse and if the fashion critics dont like it.... tough.

:cool:

By the way, how do you get that long list of cruises at the end of your post?

I am actually posting this one.

Navigator of the Seas - July 06

Norwegian Sun - Nov 04

By the way, how do you get that long list of cruises at the end of your post?

I am actually posting this one.

Navigator of the Seas - July 06

Norwegian Sun - Nov 04

Go to User CP (at the top), and then click edit signature.

So, just for the sake of argument, how do you propose they "enforce" rules? I can understand why you're upset about it, I don't get upset about anything on a cruise, but I don't look to any cruise line to enforce anything.

Perhaps politely refuse seating for those in jeans or short on formal nights.

Do you think they should position a crew member at the hot tubs to tell the kids to stay out?

That parents will allow their children into Quest is kind of unusual, do they really want their kids to see what goes on. Do you think there should be someone at the door to tell the parents what choices should be made for the kids?

Saving chairs has never been an issue for us. We found out long ago that we really preferred the quieter areas of the ship and don't care to be a part of the masses surrounding the pool. Ditto for the shows. If we walk into the theatre and there is chair saving, we merely go to another area. If we arrive too late to be seated, we don't mind standing.

I had no idea that RCI disallowed alcohol in their cabins. I've seen drinks listed in the room service menu, we have carried drinks back to our cabin many times. We have ordered champagne to be in our cabin upon arrival. We have carried wine onboard, in our carry on luggage, with their complete knowledge.

My point being that taking issues like this in a confrontational manner can backfire on you. Instead of filing complaints, think of solutions that would work for everyone.

1. A sign at the entry to the dining room, stating persons will be asked to return to their staterooms to change into more appropriate clothing. This always go over great with the guys, (most) women love to get dressed up, so not much of a problem with them.

2. Allow children into the hot tubs at certain hours. Again, with clear posting (of course it already doesn't work). Or better yet, have children only hot tubs.

3. Isn't there a minimum age for Quest? If so, it should (again) be posted. Everyones parenting style is different. That one parent doesn't mind their kids hearing or seeing something isn't for us to judge. Perhaps it is you who is embarrassed by the kids being there.

4. Chair hogging/saving. The hogging word says it all, people can be piggish in their behavior. What are you really going to do? They post it, they announce it in the theatre. My feeling is that there would just be a big ole fight if the cruise staff tried to correct the piggie people. Of course, I see nothing wrong with the cruise staff removing items after a certain amount of time, to be held at the towel counter.

5. I'm sure your intention is for booze smuggling on this one. Do we all really want all our luggage searched? That is the only way to curb the smuggling booze problem. I'm not in favor one bit of my stuff being searched every time I board a ship, are you?

All in all, it's really too bad there are so many boors in the world and that so many of them are on cruise ships. I don't think it is the cruise lines job to police everyones activities. Furthermore, I only see the problem getting worse with the larger ships that are advertising to families. Your best solution would be to vote with your wallet and change cruiselines, sail only on the smaller ships, or sail during off peak times.

Good luck in your quest. It would be lovely to sail amongst a more well-mannered crowd.

2. Allow children into the hot tubs at certain hours. Again, with clear posting (of course it already doesn't work). Or better yet, have children only hot tubs.

Kathy, I agree with alot of what you said, but being in the hot tubs is not good for children, especially young children.

So, just for the sake of argument, how do you propose they "enforce" rules? I can understand why you're upset about it, I don't get upset about anything on a cruise, but I don't look to any cruise line to enforce anything.

Perhaps politely refuse seating for those in jeans or short on formal nights.

Do you think they should position a crew member at the hot tubs to tell the kids to stay out?

That parents will allow their children into Quest is kind of unusual, do they really want their kids to see what goes on. Do you think there should be someone at the door to tell the parents what choices should be made for the kids?

Saving chairs has never been an issue for us. We found out long ago that we really preferred the quieter areas of the ship and don't care to be a part of the masses surrounding the pool. Ditto for the shows. If we walk into the theatre and there is chair saving, we merely go to another area. If we arrive too late to be seated, we don't mind standing.

I had no idea that RCI disallowed alcohol in their cabins. I've seen drinks listed in the room service menu, we have carried drinks back to our cabin many times. We have ordered champagne to be in our cabin upon arrival. We have carried wine onboard, in our carry on luggage, with their complete knowledge.

My point being that taking issues like this in a confrontational manner can backfire on you. Instead of filing complaints, think of solutions that would work for everyone.

1. A sign at the entry to the dining room, stating persons will be asked to return to their staterooms to change into more appropriate clothing. This always go over great with the guys, (most) women love to get dressed up, so not much of a problem with them.

3. Isn't there a minimum age for Quest? If so, it should (again) be posted. Everyones parenting style is different. That one parent doesn't mind their kids hearing or seeing something isn't for us to judge. Perhaps it is you who is embarrassed by the kids being there.

4. Chair hogging/saving. The hogging word says it all, people can be piggish in their behavior. What are you really going to do? They post it, they announce it in the theatre. My feeling is that there would just be a big ole fight if the cruise staff tried to correct the piggie people. Of course, I see nothing wrong with the cruise staff removing items after a certain amount of time, to be held at the towel counter.

5. I'm sure your intention is for booze smuggling on this one. Do we all really want all our luggage searched? That is the only way to curb the smuggling booze problem. I'm not in favor one bit of my stuff being searched every time I board a ship, are you?

All in all, it's really too bad there are so many boors in the world and that so many of them are on cruise ships. I don't think it is the cruise lines job to police everyones activities. Furthermore, I only see the problem getting worse with the larger ships that are advertising to families. Your best solution would be to vote with your wallet and change cruiselines, sail only on the smaller ships, or sail during off peak times.

Good luck in your quest. It would be lovely to sail amongst a more well-mannered crowd.

Hey Happy,

Your suggestions are just what I was looking for and thinking about- other that changing cruise lines that is. I just knew others do feel the same way I do when it comes to cruising standards. Many thanks. Sorry you had a bad experience on your last cruise with the ill mannared crowd.

Voyager and Ericknow32, you have both mentioned contacting RCCL with our concerns about enforcing rules. Do you think anyone from the cruise line reads these boards? I'd like to think that they may care what we feel. I'm all for letting them know. (Before anyone gets up in arms, I'm not talking about making the ships a combat zone with pool attendents and wait staff carrying billy clubs, just a few administrative people letting people know what's expected of them in a particular location such as the formal dining room or the adult decks and pool areas for instance.) (And by formal dining room, all I mean is that when it says no jeans, shorts or t-shirts that that be respected and on formal nights, everyone try to be a little "dressier" than on other nights.)

Voyager and Ericknow32, you have both mentioned contacting RCCL with our concerns about enforcing rules. Do you think anyone from the cruise line reads these boards? I'd like to think that they may care what we feel. I'm all for letting them know. (Before anyone gets up in arms, I'm not talking about making the ships a combat zone with pool attendents and wait staff carrying billy clubs, just a few administrative people letting people know what's expected of them in a particular location such as the formal dining room or the adult decks and pool areas for instance.) (And by formal dining room, all I mean is that when it says no jeans, shorts or t-shirts that that be respected and on formal nights, everyone try to be a little "dressier" than on other nights.)

Yes, I did mention contacting RCCL. I dont think the higher ups read these boards per se, but, I do know that they know "we are out there" Ha LOL.

One comment. I didnt start this thread to change the powers that be at RCCL. I was just curious as to how others posters felt and thier OPINIONS. There, I said it. There was a lot of good suggsetions and discussion.

We will now return to our regular scheduled viewing..

Archived