RCCL is playing us against eachother and they know it.

Hey Kewlguy, I usually cruise off season too, but what about those that cant? There just has to be an answer to this. Cruising is a wonderful vacation and I understand the "mass cruise line therory" but......

I dont know, I am at a loss here.

I shudder to think what it will be like say, in 5 years. Years and years ago I told my pop that someday their would be a cruise ship so big that it docks in Miami, and never leaves port. You would just get on a "people mover" till you got to the Virgin Islands. Looks like I am booked on her this October (Freedom) LOL :D

Edited to say, I KNOW that the Freedom is not going to the Virgin Islands. I dont want to start an itinarary war either.

Not to start a war, but the Freedom goes to the Virgin Islands, starting May 6th 2007, when the Liberty comes on line

OK, you're scarin' me here guys! I just paid out almost $10,000 for the four of us (two teens included) to have the time of our lives on Freedom of the Seas. Although our girls are coming with us, I expect that this will be a classy deal with rules enforced to a degree. We are excited about the opportunity to "dress up". Not that my DH is bringing a tux, but we did go out and buy him a nice, new, dark suit. And I intend to wear that sexy black evening gown too! If we are over-dressed, so be it! We've only been on two other cruises, once on Princess to Alaska (much older crowd - definitely the dress-up, rules enforced type) and once on Carnival (dress up was no cut-offs). The Carnival one I wrote off to the fact that it was a very inexpensive, 4 day cruise. People were carrying on cases of their own bottled water for goodness sake! Now I've opted for the more upscale, and certainly more costly, RCCL. I had hoped that this meant more class as well!!:rolleyes:

I think you may have missed the point here. What they are saying is that if you do not want to dress formal in the dining room, then you can dress casual at the other restaurants listed. They are not saying that formal dress in the dining room is optional.

Thanks for your opinion. :)

All I can say is.. interpret it how you want, I personally don't see it that way, and others may not either, since the whole point of their comment is to "come as you are" and may explain why people do "just that."

As I said, we do dress for formal night because "that's what your supposed to do", however on the rare occasion that hubby goes with, we choose windjammer because he won't dress up for anything. (and he does not like dining room because it takes 2 hours) not because of a certain type of way to dress..

There is nothing that gets me more PO'd on vacation than rowdy kids in the pool during adults only hours. If all the kids are doing is enjoying a nice swim like me, I don't care. It's the running around and cannonballing that's going to make want to pitch them overboard.

I'm really not the suit type of guy. Can I get by on formal night with a sport coat?

I think formal nights should be abolished altogether. I think the fares should go up and be all inclusive including tips and all beverages. I dress up because I have to not because i want to pack and shlep formal wear and heels half way around the world.

Not to start a war, but the Freedom goes to the Virgin Islands, starting May 6th 2007, when the Liberty comes on line

Ha! Then my preminissoin (horrible spelling) will come true. I cant believe I said that to my Pop several years ago! You made my evening! Where is that people mover anyay? LOL too funny.

I think formal nights should be abolished altogether. I think the fares should go up and be all inclusive including tips and all beverages. I dress up because I have to not because i want to pack and shlep formal wear and heels half way around the world.

See? Thats what I like about this thread. I am lucky enough to live only hours from three ports and only a couple of hundred miles from the Carribbean Islands as well as the Virgins. I sometimes forget that others have air fare and are half way across the world. I dont think I would pack heals either....

The only rule I take exception to is the one about alcohol in the room or bringing it on board. I am a wine drinker but can't stand the syrupy sweet zins or the dry oaky chardonay. I like an in between wine and not one that is offered on their menu. The wine I like is actually more inexpensive than their ridiculous corking fee.

I know its a vacation and they are entitled to a profit but their wine prices are so inflated I just can't stand to pay them....so I will be bringing my own corkscrew and wine. If it gets confiscated I will not make a fuss since I broke the rules.

about the kids....I went to Walmart today and couldn't wait to get out! School is out here and apparently no one in my town considers it an important part of parenting to teach their children to behave like considerate human beings. I can't imagine being on a cruise with any of the families I saw today. I am a mom and will expect nothing less than the kind, considerate, behavior of a gentleman from my son on our cruise. In fact, as I pulled out of the school's circular drive on the last day of school I sneaked a peak at my 11-yr old son. I was wondering if he would make it through the door with his heavy load. He had shifted all of his gear to one arm and was holding the door for a little girl...that's my boy.

The only rule I take exception to is the one about alcohol in the room or bringing it on board. I am a wine drinker but can't stand the syrupy sweet zins or the dry oaky chardonay. I like an in between wine and not one that is offered on their menu. The wine I like is actually more inexpensive than their ridiculous corking fee.

I know its a vacation and they are entitled to a profit but their wine prices are so inflated I just can't stand to pay them....so I will be bringing my own corkscrew and wine. If it gets confiscated I will not make a fuss since I broke the rules.

about the kids....I went to Walmart today and couldn't wait to get out! School is out here and apparently no one in my town considers it an important part of parenting to teach their children to behave like considerate human beings. I can't imagine being on a cruise with any of the families I saw today. I am a mom and will expect nothing less than the kind, considerate, behavior of a gentleman from my son on our cruise. In fact, as I pulled out of the school's circular drive on the last day of school I sneaked a peak at my 11-yr old son. I was wondering if he would make it through the door with his heavy load. He had shifted all of his gear to one arm and was holding the door for a little girl...that's my boy.

Snorkey, Your post made it all worth while. What a sweet little man you have. Your doing a great job!

A long time ago my favorite word was "mugwump". It actually started as a political word which means: a person who is undecided or neutral in politics often because he cannot make up his mind. So, a mugwump sits on a fence and teeters back and forth and never stays to one side of the fence or the other. Just teeters.:rolleyes:

To me, this sounds like the perfect word for RCCL to be known as..

I agree with you 100% that RCCL should enforce their rules. Or, they should do away with them. Make a choice and stick with it. They do read these boards and do know the feelings of their passengers. I do not care what their decision would be. Formal or no formal, jeans or no jeans, shorts or no shorts, sneakers or no sneakers. Just do it and enforce it. Just get off the fence and stop teetering.

I've got to weigh in on the attire issue.

I own my tux and DW has evening gowns. We dress in them on both formal nights, and remain dressed the entire evening. We adhere to the guidelines and actually enjoy (Especially DW) playing dress-up.

That said, I think its time for RCI go to a resort casual attire. There still should be clear standards set as to what is and isn't allowed in the dining room...ie:no shorts, jeans, tees or tank tops. Really, formal nights are just the cruise lines attempt at holding on to the old ocean liner days. With RCI's Voyager, Freedom and future Genesis class ships, they are about as far removed from those days as a cruiseline can get. If RCI wants to attract the new generation of cruisers, and be the mass market leader, they should look forward not just in ship design and innovation.

A good dining experience has more to do with food quality, service and especially tablemates (wether they are in a tux or a button down oxford shirt) who can enhance or ruin the dinner.

I'm 26 years old. I cringe at the thought of how my peers are going to raise their kids. I used to tell my parents that I would never be like them, and my kids would get everything they want. I now thank them for raising me the way they did. It's only going to get worse folks. These kids that can't even hold down a job at McDonald's will be parents someday.

To get back to the attire situation -

I am a casual dresser. However, it's not the casual you at Abercrombie and Fitch (barf). I don't think jeans that look like they've been run over with a lawnmower are fashionable. I've even seen some with paint splatterd on them. These are brand new jeans!

I have no problem with wearing a polo and khakis to the dining room. It's formal night that I'm not looking forward to. My wife and I are going with 10 other people, so everybody's going to formal night. If it was just my wife and I, I'd be pushing for dinner in the Windjammer.

I've got to weigh in on the attire issue.

I own my tux and DW has evening gowns. We dress in them on both formal nights, and remain dressed the entire evening. We adhere to the guidelines and actually enjoy (Especially DW) playing dress-up.

That said, I think its time for RCI go to a resort casual attire. There still should be clear standards set as to what is and isn't allowed in the dining room...ie:no shorts, jeans, tees or tank tops. Really, formal nights are just the cruise lines attempt at holding on to the old ocean liner days. With RCI's Voyager, Freedom and future Genesis class ships, they are about as far removed from those days as a cruiseline can get. If RCI wants to attract the new generation of cruisers, and be the mass market leader, they should look forward not just in ship design and innovation.

A good dining experience has more to do with food quality, service and especially tablemates (wether they are in a tux or a button down oxford shirt) who can enhance or ruin the dinner.

Agreed.

All of the things you mentioned do make for a good dining experience. My concern is the lack of knowledge of formal. That's all. I learned the same way everyone else did.

I am not sure what this is actually about? Good or bad however if I interpeted this correctly the Monarch will be missing 2 people from their dining room!! MY husband has problems with his legs and cannot get into regular pants Formal or not. Guess that means no fancy duds for him and we will have to just eat at the Windjammer. :eek: WE will be happy just being onboard.

First, I am amazed at the civil tone of this thread and the lack of flames! Way to go everyone.

I like to dress up and do so on formal nights on most cruises. However I cut DH some slack & on some cruises we forget the formal wear & eat elsewhere those nights. That's called showing respect for others. It's something that many (not all) young people are not being taught. I have met many young people on cruises that do show respect for others, that don't run in the hall ways and don't drink or get in the adult hot tubs. Unfortunately it only takes a couple of those who do all of the above to ruin someone's cruise.

I agree that it's time for the powers that be to work on enforcing the rules fleetwide. If the rules state no jeans or shorts in the main dining room an employee posted at the door should suggest the windjammer or other venues for the person to eat that night or to change and come back to the dining room, if they can get back by 15 minutes after the appointed dining time. I also dislike having to wait on those who think a 6:oo dining timke means 6:30 or 6:45 come when you are supposed to. It's rude to keep others waiting. if you want freestyle go to windjammer or another line.

I'll get off the soapbox now. Thanks for a good thread where people can express their opinions without getting flamed.

Debbie

I am not sure what this is actually about? Good or bad however if I interpeted this correctly the Monarch will be missing 2 people from their dining room!! MY husband has problems with his legs and cannot get into regular pants Formal or not. Guess that means no fancy duds for him and we will have to just eat at the Windjammer. :eek: WE will be happy just being onboard.

Gosh, I would hate for you to miss the dining room experience. If you are more comfortable in the Windjammer, I am sure others will post the dining hours, I am not sure of them, sorry...

Agreed.

All of the things you mentioned do make for a good dining experience. My concern is the lack of knowledge of formal.That's all. I learned the same way everyone else did.

Voyager...exactly right on target. There is such a wide variety of attire on formal nights now, that it hardly makes sense anymore. There's another thread going about why some people don't/won't go on a cruise, and a few people mentioned that spending money for formal night clothes was just too much.

One other big plus, go to resort casual and we'll have a lot less to pack and can leave that extra suitcase at home.

There are some great posts here. I for one also enjoy the formal nights. It really isn't that hard to adhear to really. Everyone goes to a wedding now and then and has something somewhat dressy that they can bring. My husband doesn't wear a tux but does bring a black suit. What I'm reading into a lot of the posts is that if RCCL wants to maintain the formal nights then enforce them, if they think they need to make dining semi-formal or smart casual, then enforce it, if they want to allow cut offs and tank tops, then enforce it, (but please let me know ahead of time so I can avoid the cruise that allows cut offs in the dining room). Every ship has several dining rooms. I liked the idea of offering a more casual dress in one dining room for those who don't want to go formal or in the case of the Voyager ships on one level. Good idea!

Voyager...exactly right on target. There is such a wide variety of attire on formal nights now, that it hardly makes sense anymore. There's another thread going about why some people don't/won't go on a cruise, and a few people mentioned that spending money for formal night clothes was just too much.

One other big plus, go to resort casual and we'll have a lot less to pack and can leave that extra suitcase at home.

I guess I miss the cruising I almost got used to.. Ha !! Trust me. I have gowns that have been on more cruises than me-- Well, one any way.... Buy good, and you get good. Product I mean. I enjoy RCCL.

There are some great posts here. I for one also enjoy the formal nights. It really isn't that hard to adhear to really. Everyone goes to a wedding now and then and has something somewhat dressy that they can bring. My husband doesn't wear a tux but does bring a black suit. What I'm reading into a lot of the posts is that if RCCL wants to maintain the formal nights then enforce them, if they think they need to make dining semi-formal or smart casual, then enforce it, if they want to allow cut offs and tank tops, then enforce it, (but please let me know ahead of time so I can avoid the cruise that allows cut offs in the dining room). Every ship has several dining rooms. I liked the idea of offering a more casual dress in one dining room for those who don't want to go formal or in the case of the Voyager ships on one level. Good idea!

Mae, you did it again and said iit all. Thats what I'm talking...............

There is nothing that gets me more PO'd on vacation than rowdy kids in the pool during adults only hours. If all the kids are doing is enjoying a nice swim like me, I don't care. It's the running around and cannonballing that's going to make want to pitch them overboard.

I'm really not the suit type of guy. Can I get by on formal night with a sport coat?

Formal night for men is a dark suit or tux. Smart casual is a sports jacket and slacks. Casual is polo shirt and khaki's. I agree 100% about the wild kids in the adults only pool and jacuzzi's.

I have a cruise line just for you. It's called NCL.

Formal night for men is a dark suit or tux. Smart casual is a sports jacket and slacks. Casual is polo shirt and khaki's. I agree 100% about the wild kids in the adults only pool and jacuzzi's.

Im likeing this thread. Everyone is thinking about thier atire and others feelings. Nice.

I agree with much of what you said Voyager. Now comes the part - being heard. The cruiseline makes decisions to create the rules, enforce/not enforce them, change them, abolish them etc.. based on feedback they get from cruisers. However, it would be interesting if we could get a guest poster from RCCL's Marketing Department to give us a clue on what is the most effective way to commuicate our preferences? I imagine the calling or e-mailing customer service does very little (I've had questions answered 6 weeks to 2 months after I asked). They have the end of the cruise check-box grade card. I wonder how much impact they are? One thing else is the customer feedback form located at the Purser's Desk in most ships (they have a drop-off box). A Matre'D on the Radiance told me that he thought it was the best bet for asking for changes/improvements.

We have all sorts of ideas on what would be our preferences. So what do you all think is the most effective way of communicating this?

mae...you sum up the evening's conversation quite well!

Archived