Duct Tape, Collapsible Water Bottles, Hi-lite Pens, Anything Else?

mahreeya

I always carry a little plastic thingy that usually comes with a loaf of bread... the thing that keeps it closed... it is great for keeping the curtains closed tightly and super tiny to pack.

Do you happen to have any pics of your door decor--I'm particularly interested in the "bottle of WHINE" you mentioned earlier in this thread! Where can I get a bottle? :)

Sorry--couldn't resist! ;) :D

I designed my door sign with print shop. There is one that is on here that you can print up. The signs on the doors are great. It sure helps to find the room easily.

I have taken some of the ideas I have read on here and implemented them. I always like new great ideas.:o

don't forget to take along hand sanitizer...i always get the tiny bottles in the .99 cent rack in wally world. you should also remember bug repellent if you're going south...it helps at the beach.

sunscreen!!!!!!! that's a must!!!

i really loved having the hand gel and the alcohol wipes....clean everything you touch...use the gel ALOT. and guess what...you don't get sick :)

also i always travel with a small flashlight, a map of the area we're going to and a tiny journal to keep notes (or maybe my pda this time). and zip bags..the really large ones are great to keep inspector's paws out of your undies. take a sewing kit...2 needles, a yard or so of threads to match your clothes, cheap scissors, steam-a seam tape (great to 'save those hems') alwrapped around a small piece of cardboard. also i try to have some way of carrying my room "key" safely and not lost in the bottom of my purse somewhere...i've tried several methods...found nothing yet that is elegant and works...ideas???? anyone

A small folding case is good to put your credit card and room key in. That is usually all you need on a cruise. For a purse get one that has a little hook that you can put a small stirng or chain on and if the purse doesn't have an attachment use a safety pin to pin it to the inside top of the purse.

When you need it just pull on the string and out comes the case with the credit card and key. This also is good to keep you from leaving this somewhere accidently. It is attached to the purse. A small piece of fishing twine may work. It is hardley able to be seen, but quite durable.

I like the idea about the suction hooks.:o I think they would really come in handy for hanging wet suits to dry in cabin.

Suction cups are good, but remember they won't hold on wood, because it is porous and thus the cups loose suction. They will hold on mirrors, tile and glass.

A few other suggestions, we brought a yellow and blue highliter we each had a colour and what came out green is what we decided to do. also extension cord, nite lite, plastic clothes pins to hold down the shower curtain, clothes pins with a hook to hang up swim suits, cd player to have music on the balcony, bungee cords to hold open the balcony door. Just a few more to add to the mix. Have a good time cruisin.

Wayne :D

Since Most room keys are now the kind that are the credit card type (at least on NCL), I would suggest either a small purse that can be worn over your body, or there is a thing (don't know what to call it) that will hang around your neck (often used for company ID cards)/ I have seen some cases at the dive shop that are supposed to be water proof and would hold a credit card and a little money. I haven't tried one of those yet, but plan to get one before I go in Aug. Just thought I'd pass this on. Hotglass

Did somebody already say tums, travel sized pain reliever, throat lozenges?

I used the lanyard around the neck on the last cruise and LOVED it! I also made sure that the web interface for my email had all the addresses for my friends so I could email them very quickly.

My husband and I sometimes like to go in different directions once in Port, so walkie talkies with at least a two mile range are very useful. If we get hung up or I need help, we are able to communicate. He even wears his on his belt in a waterproof cell phone bag while snorkeling and I am lounging by the pool on board. If he has found something interesting and wants to stay out longer, it keeps me from worrying that he has been "lost at sea" or eaten by a giant clam! Just be a good citizen and keep the volume down low so as not to offend the sensibilites of other passengers. It helps to buy a pair with a lot of channels (50+) to avoid being rudely reminded that Joe Blow "owns" the channel you just used. (Like with 5 ships in port and an extra 11,000 people running around that won't happen - NOT!!!)

Thanks to everyone for their great contributions! My list just got longer!

Au revoir!

RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS 2003

ENCORE! RHAPSODY 09/12/04 (Can't Wait!!!)

wow..im not going on my first cruise till 11/2005 and im already to start putting this stuff together in an over the door holder!!! what great suggestions. i never would have thought of this stuff.. keep it coming!!! thanks everyone

I have added something new to my list so I thought I should come back on and let everyone know.

A rain poncho. I got one in the gardening section of the store. It comes in a mesh bag and is folds up very small.

I always have a packing list. It is one that I have on the computer. I can change it according to the vacation. Then you print it up and pack from it. It helps so you don't forget the real important things like your meds. When I went on my cruise in Jan of 03 it was helpful when I got to my aunt's house and she was trying to figure out what she forgot to pack.

I pulled out my list and started reading it off to her. It was helpful she was able to pack those items that were needed that she forgot about.:o

This thread is SO full of great ideas... I've started my list 6 months before our cruise!

Has anyone found anything more stylish that a lanyard to hold their critical things? I'm hardly a fashion diva... but I've been wishing for something practical yet stylish to wear on my get-away with my husband... lanyards just aren't doing it for me!;)

Travelsmith.com and magellans.com have travel document/passport/id holders for about $10.00. They look great!

Thanks to everybody for adding to this thread; I already have list 2 pages long! Did we mention extra batteries for your battery operated devices? They always seem to be so expensive on the ship. Or else, just put brand new batteries in before you leave.

in place of the plain ole lanyards, hows about a beautiful eyeglass holder, attach a hook to keep your cards on. OR, why not a pin with pull out string (i know there is a name for this as i have one) and attach your card to this but then, it cannot be hidden when you want to hide it. Hows about a pin on your belt or belt loop with pull out string, i'm stumped. How do we make something so ugly, beautiful. As for other stuff you might need, what about your cell phone. Don't leave it home. Its the best alarm clock. You needn't bring one. Then you have it for the trip stateside. Also, a phone card from Mexico to the US. I bought one last year in RiteAid for $10.00 with which to make calls from Mexico to the US. I did not use it as I only brought it for an emergency as the last time I needed to call Home cause the airline went on strike cost me 50 dollars for 2 calls as i had to call collect. I had no pesos for the phone at the airport. Thanks for all the ideas as there were a few i did not take last trip that could have come in handy. have a great cruise.

A friend of mine gave me this one to me last night at dinner - toothpicks. Being a true Texan toothpicks are just something I take for granted as being there. I would hate to have to go all the way back to my cabin just to get the floss if a toothpick would do. :)

I have seen lanyards that are beaded rather than fabric. If you know someone who beads, they could make you one pretty easily.... you could even go to your nearest bead store. (I've found that the people who work in bead stores, or even Michael's, etc. can be really helpful in guiding you in a project.) Of course, it would be much less expensive if you didn't have to buy all of the tools and supplies from scratch... find a beader!!

OR, you could just use a badge clip that you can get at an Office Depot. I always find that a lanyard tends to get hooked on everything and chokes me half the time (can you tell I'm a little less than graceful?)

:)

Yvette

I take a "laundry" kit with me, in a zip loc bag I put 2 rolls of quarters, 4 dryer sheets and some of those solid laundry tablets, any quarters left over I use in the slot machines. I hate to come home and face 2 suitcases full of dirty clothes. Also we never pack all of Jim's clothes in one suitcase or all of mine in the other. You never know if one or the other suitcase will get lost in transit and you will be stuck with no clothes. I also love gallon size Zip Loc bags for packing toiletries or lingerie. I carry some empty ones along, I take a few pieces of fruit for days in ports (I am diabetic) in my Zip Loc bags and I order cold sandwiches from room service or make sandwiches out of bagels and cold cuts on the breakfast buffet, great money saver until you decide where you are going to eat at the port, cuts down on that "desperation" meal you pay too much for because you're starving. I'll never forget the time we were on a snorkeling trip that ran a little long and the looks we got from fellow passengers while we were eating a banana and bagel sandwiches. I also make sure I carry pepto bismal, immodium, tylenol and a travel alarm. I am ordering a travel alarm/flashlight from a healthcare catalog (Roaman's-by Dr. Leonard) for $3.99 to use on my next cruise, I don't know how many times one of us had flipped on the lights and woke up the other using the restroom at 2:00 AM.

Also ladies that get acrylic nails. You should carry superglue and the same polish color you come on the cruise with in case you have to get a repair in the salon or if you have to fix a chip in your toenail polish. Nothing worse than knocking off bright red toenail polish while you're out at the beach and having a big white spot on your toenail the rest of the cruise - always good to be prepared!

Have a great cruise fellow cruise freaks! We're going in December of 2004 on the Triumph and are planning a trip with all 4 kids over Spring Break next year! I am a confessed cruise addict and being able to talk to other cruise enthusiasts helps keep me sane until I get ready to leave in December!

You guys just doubled my packing list and I'm not even leaving til November! It's my first cruise but I checked my general packing list and, for those interested, I would suggest: water pills to combat that tropical bloat; candles in glass holders, if you're into that and (I never leave home without it) a backscratcher.

Happy cruising!

Archived