Duct Tape, Collapsible Water Bottles, Hi-lite Pens, Anything Else?

mahreeya

Here's one I haven't seen but may come in handy. If you wear eyeglasses or contacts, you may want to take a backup pair. Since I don't (the prescription in the old ones changed so much), I have my eyeglasses checked and tightened by a professional the week before I leave. Of course I try to keep from leaning overboard and looking straight down into the water. With my luck they'll come sliding off!

Of course disposable underwater cameras, a big mesh bag you can use as your beach bag (other beach bags aren't collapsible and take up room). For four folks we brought a case and a half of water in a medium size duffel bag. Used the water working out and on port call days (buying bottled water can add up). We then used this duffel bag as our souvenier and dirty clothes bag when we went back home. Bring two paperback novels, a hat, light rainjacket, lanyard (they can punch a hole in your cruise card at Guest Relations), some kind of aloe vera gel (for after the sun). One thing I wish I had brought...if they even have it, a small bottle of Lysol spray. I read once how germs can get spread when your cabin steward does your room (and the room before it, etc), and it would've given me peace of mind to spray certain surfaces. Another thing that I read on this board which I think helped...I have a sensitve stomach and was worried about that. Read on here about taking acidophilus tablets (with the active live yogurt cultures). Start taking them at least two weeks before you go (in fact, they work so well, I'm still taking them), and you will have an iron stomach and be able to eat anything with no problems. Most do have to be refrigerated, but I did find a brand at Walmart that didn't have to be.

After a couple of near accidents, I saw somone who had a hole punched in her cards and could tie them with a shoelace around neck or to belt. Since then, I've found tha't a really strong safety pin will pierce the cards.

I bring the quilters pins, 4 or 5 of them. I invariably find that I need them.

I too use alcohol wipes. I keep some on me all the time even at home.

I am fanatical about washing my hands.

Another way I protect myself in hotel rooms and ship cabins is to immediately remove the bedspread. I stow it in a closet and inform my steward that I don't want it on my bed ever. Then I ask for a second blanket and sheet and sandwich the blankets between the sheets so that only freshly laundered sheets touch my face. So far, (yikes where's some wood to touch!) I have never caught the colds, SARS, Norwalk, or tummy troubles while others around me have.

Has anybody made a list of every single item that has been mentioned here? I started one. If I can, I will post it tomorrow, but it is not complete.

I was also thinking about the pre cut aluminum foil sheets. So you can wrap up a sandwich or a muffin, and put it into your lunch bag for shore excursions.

To keep your glasses on your head when you bend over the side of the ship, there is a thing called "Croakies". It grips each earpiece, then wraps around the back of your head kinda snugly.

Can't say enough "Thank Yous" to everyone out there! Y'all are so smart!

Just one word about candles, I love 'em, but I read some where in RCCL's literature that they are banned because of the fire hazard. Trouble is, I can't think of a more romantic place to use them! I do not, however, want to burn the ship down because in my 'afterglow' I was absentminded and left one burning while at the midnight chocoholics buffet. Rats!!! I also remembered that I take my favorite pillows with me using those roll up travel bags. You just start at one end of the bag and press all the air out as you roll. A one way valve keeps the air from seeping back in. They are about 1/2" thick once rolled, and really save your neck literally. I also use these for clothes that don't need pressing and then just hang them in the bath during my shower for steaming. You can really load up a suitcase this way. I took a king size, super stuffed pillow all over Australia this way for two weeks and was soooo glad I did.

P.S. I buy my waterproof cell phone bags for my walkie-talkies at Campmor.com for a very reasonable price. We also use them on a lanyard attached to our boat for our cell phone. They even have some that float.

alcohol pads

Anbesol

baby wipes

baby powder

back pack

bandaids

bathing suit cover up

bathing suits

batteries

Benadryl for allergic reactions

binoculars

bottle sleeve/bottle carrier

bug spray/wipes

bungee cords

Business cards printed with names and email address (to give to new friends)

cameras (disposable, waterproof, digital, charger) - Mark Camera with name

check book

cell phone and charger

clothesline

clothespins

collapsible cup

collapsible cup

conditioner (hair)

cotton swaps

cotton balls

credit cards

Croakies for eyeglasses

daytime clothes

dental floss

deodorant

dollar bills for tips to room service, sky cap, luggage handlers

downy wrinkle releaser

Downy Wrinkle Release,

dresses

dryer sheets

duct tape

emery boards

evening bag

evening clothes

extension cord

extra contacts

extra contact solution

eye glasses

Fabreeze

facial toner

facial cleanser

Fan handheld battery (they REALLY come in handy during muster drill)

fanny pack

fish food

flash light

frisbee or kite

hair gel

hairspray

hand sanitizer

Hemorrhoid medication

high lighter pens

HOLE PUNCHER

insulated travel mug

insulated lunch bag

iron

Iron on tape

itty bitty book light

jewelry

Kaopectate

LANYARD OR CORD TO WEAR AROUND NECK with room key

lavender pack and/or oil (to help sleep)

Laxative

Lomotil for Aztec two-step

Lysol

makeup

mesh bag for laundry

moisturizer

money

Neosporin

night light to keep in bathroom; the rooms get really dark at night

nighties

notebook

pack of playing cards

pants

Paperback books

pen

Pepto bismal tablets

plastic clothes hangers

plastic basket small (really helps organize if there's no vanity drawer)

pool toys

post it notes

Post it notes

pre cut sheets of aluminum foil

Preaddressed postcard labels and return address labels

prescription drugs

Q tips

rain ponchos

reading material

reading glasses

room freshener

shampoo

Shoe bag - Over the door

shoes

shorts

Shout stain wipes (spot remover wipes)

skirt

sneakers

stamps

Stapler (small)

Suction cup hooks

sun block

sunglasses

swim shoes

swim float

Swiss Army Knife

Toilet seat covers

Toiletry bag

toothbrushes

toothpicks

tops

Travel Documents

Travel steamer (small)

Travel alarm clock that lights up

tweezers

Tylenol

underwear

watch on key chain

water proof carrying case thing that goes around your neck

water bottles

wine bottle opener

Witz box to keep money, boarding pass, credit card, etc. in while ashore

Woolite (small bottle) to rinse bathing suits

ZIP lock bags - 2 gallon size for wet clothes, dirty clothes. Press all the air out and seal.

ZipLock bags (small for digital camera in one to prevent condensation

DID I MISS ANYTHING???????????????????

mahreeya,

I noticed you had Swiss Army Knife on the list (I love mine). This may sound obvious, bur remember to pack it because they will confiscate it if they find it on you. I used to carry mine in my purse. I had to take it to my car on a cruise a couple of years ago since I'd forgotten to take it out of my purse.

I noticed you had Swiss Army Knife on the list (I love mine). This may sound obvious, bur remember to pack it because they will confiscate it if they find it on you. I used to carry mine in my purse. I had to take it to my car on a cruise a couple of years ago since I'd forgotten to take it out of my purse.

mimikens - did the cruise ship have a problem with your Swiss Army Knife, or was that for the airlines?

I personally wouldn't carry the Swiss Army knife. Maybe the corkscrew, if I am bringing wine (I usually drink the screw top kind! Only kidding.) I think that even tweezers and nail clippers have to be packed away. Maybe even knitting needles, and bottle openers. Who knows? Better safe than sorry. Nowadays, the cruise lines have to be as safe as the airlines, and I know that they have metal detectors you have to pass through, and they look in your bags, too.

I just bought me a flask, a collapsible water bottle, and a shopping tote (leopard print) on wheels.

Great list, mahreeya! I copied it over to Word and highlighted the items that are still not in our luggage. One thing I noticed that wasn't on anyone's list (as far as I know) are vitamins. I grabbed my prescriptions and at the same time my vitamins but only because they're on the same shelf. Gotta stay healthy while on board. :)

Oh, and I hit the dollar store today to get many of the items on this list. Yippee! I leave in two days.

Hi Guys, great ideas, all of them. I need another suitcase lol. I still haven't found the detergent tablets. If all else fails I will just pour some liquid onto a few wash rags and put them in a zip lock bag. Thanks Thanks Thanks Enjoy your cruises

Great list, Mahreeya! It will definitely help me. What about toilet paper? I save the last bit from rolls for a while before the cruise, then flatten them & put in a plastic bag; can then stick one in my daybag for excursions, etc., since many places don't seem to have any when you really need it! Those little packs of Kleenex work well, too.

Yes, you can get ginger pills at health food stores. We took them on our last cruise and didn't have any problems with sea sickness. I don't know for a fact, you might ask at the store where you get the ginger pills, but I think the ginger pills should be okay for children also.

anniecat

"also i try to have some way of carrying my room "key" safely and not lost in the bottom of my purse somewhere...i've tried several methods...found nothing yet that is elegant and works...ideas???? anyone"

I use a lanyard, but I wouldn't exactly describe that as elegant (go to the pursers desk and ask them to punch a hole in the card). I know some people have put their cards on a sunglasses or eyeglasses chain, but I'm not sure how? You could buy a keyring and punch a hole in the card, and hook the keyring to your belt loop. On formal nights, I usually just bring a small purse just for my card and maybe lipgloss and mints. My mother sometimes would put her card in her pantyhose during formal nights, which I thought was rather funny. I don't remember how she got it out when we got back to the room though..hmm.

*sorry if some of this was repeated.

door decorations? I really want to try this, but don't want to be gaudy or ridiculous... :p DH would kill me!

Also, I am a "beader", so I'm working on a simple, elegant, wearable design for a lanyard ... am thinking of clear or crystal type beads with a few gemstones of different colors ... opinions, anyone?:rolleyes:

Lisa

I ordered a couple of these to pack in my luggage. It's duct tape, but it is in a flat pack:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=257&PRODID=63657&FEEDCNT=3

For a mere $2.49, you can possess the greatest invention of the modern world - Duck Tape! Yes, you heard right. Duck Tape is truly the cure all - the answer to every emergency, at home or away. Use it to repair a loose hem in pants or a dress, temporarily close luggage with a sprung latch, re-close packages, even temporarily repair a car hose until you can get to a garage. Now available in a compact flat pack, our professional-grade Duck Tape can be easily slipped into a glove box, luggage, backpack, briefcase, or purse. Now, whenever or wherever you need it, it will be there. The water-proof adhesive ensures it will stay where you put it. :p :p :p

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Some of these items I wouldn's leave home without....others?????!!????? We aren't cruising until 12/3 but I've already started gathering things together.

Question????? Do you have to carry prescriptions in their original bottles or can I combine our medicines? I use a plastic box from Walmart. Actually it is in the sporting goods section. I think it is a fishing lore box or something like that, anyway it has lots of compartments and I label them and it takes up less than half the space of the bottles. Anyone had any experience with this?

25_4_46.gif

Archived