Is it safe to drive to Chichen Itza?

Carnival is not offering an excursion to Chichen Itza the week we are going - a real disappointment.

I am considering renting a car and driving the family myself. Is this a good idea? Is it safe to do this?

I think this would give us more options too if we wanted to stop in Meridia too. But my main concern is the safety.

Thanks!

We used a private taxi at a negotiated rate to go to Chichen Itza. I would say the roads were mostly signless and the route somewhat complicated. You will go through some poor villages and a moderate sized city (I forget the name of it). At one point we had to go through a military checkpoint. Our driver said they were checking for drugs. For me, there is no way that I would attempt renting a car and driving there on my own.

I've rented a car in Merida and driven to Santa Elana, Ticul, Uxmal and Campeche and return to Merida. I think five days. No problem at all. The roads are good and light traffic. As you enter small towns there are huge speed bumps and they can sneak up on you although there are warning signs. I would suggest you consider Uxmal. I found it more impressive and prettier. It's also a little shorter drive and Merida is on the way. I've used Executive rental on Cozumel a few times and been satisfied. I think they have a location in Progreso. Remember, US auto insurance gives NO coverage in Mexico. I'll be returning to Merida next Tuesday. YIPEE ! ! ! !

• 5 months later...

If you can catch one of the ships doing Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, you can get permission to spend the night ashore. Take the ferry across to PDC, rent a car, drive to Chichen Itza. Find a place to spend the night and drive back to PDC. Turn in the car, spend the rest of the day on the beach, and take a taxi back to the ship.

Dave

Archived