Bad Weather?

My daughter and I are going on our first cruise on Monday- leaving Ft Lauderdale on the Enchantment! We are really excited and looking forward to a great trip. I have been reading this board for the past few weeks and you all have given me a lot of useful information. There is one thing I haven't read about or maybe I've missed somewhere along the way-

how does bad weather affect your cruise?

I've looked at the forecast for the ports we will stop in (Key West, Cozumel, and Belize) and there are thunderstorms predicted everywhere all week long. We've booked shore excursions in Cozumel (Tulum) and Belize (zip line/cave tubing). Will they still go if there is a chance of severe weather? Will this type of weather make for a rougher sailing?

Thanks for your help!

I believe that if the weather is bad enough they will cancel the excursion and you get a refund.

I think it would make the seas alittle rough, but not too bad :confused:

I've been lucky and haven't had to cruise in bad weather (knock on wood). I looked at the forecast for The Bahamas next week and there's a 60% chance of "Scattered thunderstorms"... I hope that's the same as here - pop-up rain in the afternoon.:eek:

Have a great trip!!

I checked the caribbean radar and it looks pretty typical so I wouldn't sweat about to much. Thunderstorms and showers are pretty normal and don't really mess up an entire cruise unless a cold front is going through the area and seems to follow your ship. On the cruises were we had bad weather for the week, all it really did was lessen my sun burn but never affected the fun aboard. Rain is usually on and off and on occasion you could be chased from the pool area but there's always something else to do... go back later and the sun is out again.

As far as the tours: Tulim will be hot so dress cool, same for Belize, you could see some showers but unless it's a front going through, it will be sunny and hot. The pop-up showers can be nice to cool things off... for a little while.

As for the seas, the only time it's ever got really bad for me was near a hurricane but you shouldn't have to worry, it doesn't look like you'll see anything like that next week.

So have a great cruise! I'm betting it will be typical tropical weather... hot, humid, sunny and a occasional shower. Sounds perfect to me.:)

Fred

The main worry with bad weather is for tendering. If the seas are too rough they will cancel the stop all together.

It doesnt happen too often but it can be an issue at times.

I believe grand caymen is one where this happens the most.

Make sure and stop back in and lets us 'oldies' know if you are hooked, OK?

With nothing on the radar you should have smooth sailing. 1 hint, dont try and cram and feel like you have to do, see, and try everything. That is what the next few Cruises are for

Have a great time and try not to worry!

Although I haven't been on a cruise yet, we vacation every year in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. We live in Chicago and 10 days prior to our trip, I'm always busy checking the long range forecasts online. They always say chance of thunderstorms each day, and all we ever see are the quick afternoon showers that roll through, and that doesn't even happen every day where we are. It never spoils the holiday!

My daughter and I are going on our first cruise on Monday- leaving Ft Lauderdale on the Enchantment! We are really excited and looking forward to a great trip. I have been reading this board for the past few weeks and you all have given me a lot of useful information. There is one thing I haven't read about or maybe I've missed somewhere along the way-

how does bad weather affect your cruise?

I've looked at the forecast for the ports we will stop in (Key West, Cozumel, and Belize) and there are thunderstorms predicted everywhere all week long. We've booked shore excursions in Cozumel (Tulum) and Belize (zip line/cave tubing). Will they still go if there is a chance of severe weather? Will this type of weather make for a rougher sailing?

Thanks for your help!

We cuised out of New Orleans into 50-60 knot winds and the Captain was making a high speed run due to the fact we were almost 5 hours late leaving port. The majority of the excursions were cancelled in Cozumel due to the high winds. We received immediate credit for the cancelled excursions. As for the high speed run, the stabilizers on the ship worked fantastic. My wife is very suseptible to motion sickness and never had a problem. Conversely, Grand Caymans, which is occasionally bypassed due to weather was as calm as could be. Had a great time at StingRay City. You should not have any problem aboard the ship and missed or "bad weather" stops will not cost you anything as long as you are booking excursions through a reputable vendor (ship or local). If you end up having additional at sea days due to missed ports, the ship's crew will do everything in their power to make it enjoyable for you. Weather is usually the least of the problems that could possibly be encountered.

Have a great time and try not to worry!

Although I haven't been on a cruise yet, we vacation every year in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. We live in Chicago and 10 days prior to our trip, I'm always busy checking the long range forecasts online. They always say chance of thunderstorms each day, and all we ever see are the quick afternoon showers that roll through, and that doesn't even happen every day where we are. It never spoils the holiday!

they say "never trust a Florida weather man"

back in 2000 sailing W Carib. We were returning to Maimi when he showed up! (Forget the name) but the ship got rocked, folks were sick, other couldn't walk the halls, we were thrown from bed to the floor as the waves crashed up in the veradahs on 10. Announcements not to go outside, doors kocked to decks, but folks can be stupid & get swept off by the waves.

The wind, the waves to watch, having a dining room to ourselves just about. It was great!!!! Got back to Miami days late & a refund was given too. RCCL is great on that. They rebooked air they they booked for us, so we had a great time.

This time of year in Florida, and I think most caribbean ports is storms for about 20 minutes a day and stops! The other day we had the WORST rain storm. Power went out and everything. 20 minutes later the sun was out and it was beautiful again! Go figure. I wouldn't worry too much. They say there isn't much chance that anything tropical will brew over the next few weeks, so I guess we're in the clear for a little bit.

Archived