Has anyone had any luck using their Verizon cell phone on FOS? I have read the postings about Cingular working well, but nothing regarding Verizon. Thanks :)

From Verizons website:

Verizon Wireless Cruise Ship Services are now available, providing the ability to make and receive calls while traveling on select cruise lines for a low rate of $2.49 per minute. You'll enjoy these global connections that make it easy to keep in touch while cruising on the Carnival Conquest.

The article says "select cruise lines" but says Carnival Conquest. I would also like to see Verizon on something else besides Carnival.

I could be wrong and we won't know until someone confirms but Cruise Travel magazine reported earlier this year that Verizon was not willing to contract with Royal Caribbean. It's my assumption that Royal approached the companies asking for money to put the system in would be able to offer service to their customers. Then there is the whole cdma vs ?? issue. I honestly didn't think it was an option with Royal Caribbean ships.

I have Verizon but you won't ever see my phone on. I am on vacation!!

Can't find the article :mad: but here is the original post I put information from the article on. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=274937&highlight=verizon Verizon may have changed their minds but I assumed mine would not be working.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I am a verizon user and have also heard about the fact that verizon was unwilling to sign the contract with RCCL .I had no luck using my phone during the inaugural sailing of freedom on the boat but my phone had full service in cozumel but was advised by my mother ,who is a verizon employee ,not to use my phone due to steep charges...

Verizon's lack of interest in signing may be due to the fact that the company providing this Ship to Shore satellite connection for wireless phones is a joint-venture between Cingular and RCCL.