?s re Tahiti InterContinental Hotel

karen_g

What is the difference between the Motu Overwater Bungalows and the Lagoon Overwater Bungalows? I noticed on the website that the Lagoon ones were more expensive. Why? And is it worth it to pay more and get a Lagoon bungalow? This is for our 10th Anniversary and I want it to be really special. Thanks for any info or opinions!

What is the difference between the Motu Overwater Bungalows and the Lagoon Overwater Bungalows? I noticed on the website that the Lagoon ones were more expensive. Why? And is it worth it to pay more and get a Lagoon bungalow? This is for our 10th Anniversary and I want it to be really special. Thanks for any info or opinions!

The lagoon OWBs are in deeper water, but I think what adds to the expense is they are suites and thus, larger (L-shaped with couch, chairs and desks, as opposed to just a room, I think). We had reserved the Motu and were upgraded to Lagoon for free because we were Ambassador Club Members (it was a great move for us to join it - includes a free weekend night, fruit platter & water, and upgrades if available). It was the highlight of our trip!!! We had friends in the Motu and they loved it too. Both had beautiful views of Moorea. I don't know if I'd pay the extra for the Lagoon, but it sure was a great perk!!!!

Hi Laura,

We joined the Ambassador Club and have already been upgraded to the Lagoon OWB from the Motu. It looks as if some of them face inland and others face Moorea. Which one did you have? Do you remember which room numbers faced in what direction?

I'm trying to arrange the Tara Vana sunset cruise and as of now only have six people interested. It sound like you really enjoyed it. How exactly did you handle the finances? If you would prefer responding in an email to me let me know.

Thanks,

Jay

Thanks for the info, everyone. The Motu Bungalows sound perfectly lovely - no need for us to upgrade unless it's free.

Jay, thanks for the link! Excellent descriptions!

Karen

Hi Jay,

We were in 506 and it was perfect. I know that 501-506 face Moorea. I have a diagram up to 506 - they attach to the land, after that there is a Board Walk, some on each side. I don't think they really face inland, but rather a Marina that is on the other side of the hotel. I'm not sure if the numbers alternate or what, so I'd be afraid to guess. I would definitely prefer the Moorea view, now that you mention it. 501-506 would get you that for sure. Congrats on the upgrade info already - we had a bit of a mix-up, but it was all straightened out by the time we checked in.

As to the Tara Vana, my group was a little unusual, in that I was the only American in the group of 10 that we originally arranged. So...I volunteered to set it up and mail the check if they wanted to send me the money. Everyone sent me money orders (on their own - not at my request), since they thought that was easier for me than a check. Since the money orders were in USD, it was MUCH easier for me. Anyway, I deposited the money orders and mailed a personal check to Coral. She then sent me e-mail confirmations with everyone's name and the $$$. When we were in Tahiti, I asked one of the couples about sending money to a perfect stranger, eventhough we'd talked a lot on CC before. She said she mentioned to her husband that she was sending the money - he asked if she knew me - to which she responded not really, but thought the risk was minimal and the cost small, even if they lost it when compared with the total cost of the trip. Anyway, I know others have had questions about the $$ - I don't know of any other way - they don't like credit cards or individual checks.

One thought....I thought I was arranging a "private" sail. As it turned out, he had several other couples from some of the hotels and we added 4 others, and we all sailed together. Maybe you could just join others sailing if you only have 6 or isn't chartering the boat only $600? He did sort of ask me if it was ok when I got there, which it was and turned out fine.

If you just can't get it worked out before hand - maybe you could get his cell phone number (she gave it to me, but I didn't keep it) and call when you get there. The hard part is you HAVE to do this the first day, because you sail too early on the second day. It was a lovely sail and worth the effort it took me to get it arranged. My e-mail is Lhbsurf@comcast.net. Feel free to e-mail me if you have more questions. I also have pics from our OWB deck - can't remember if I put those in my photoshow or not - I can e-mail them to you if you wish.

Laura

It's $150 - you can join on the Intercontinental website. The big draw for us was the free weekend night, which we used in Moorea. The late check outs, free fruit tray, and upgrades were a great bonus. The upgrades are only "when available" and not guaranteed.

We just returned from Tahiti. We stayed in a Lagoon OWB. The Lagoon OWB are newer and much nicer that the Motu OWB. I think the extra we spent on the Lagoon OWB was well worth it. They are also very close to the sand bottom pool with swim up bar where we spent most of our time when not in the room.

Mike

we too joined the ambassador club to get the free weekend night and the free upgrade; we will be using ours on moorea; booked a beach bunglaow and have been told we will get the overwater; but for sure one night is free; also, you can use any other discount to which you might be entitiled (not sure i can mention the two most widely used, but you probably know and for sure could find out by checking the interconti website) also, be sure tp join within a certain time framework; our free nigthwas only good for 9 months; others have goteen them and they have been good for only 6 months; best to call the 800 number and join that way-

good luck-

tahitisweetie

• 1 month later...
Do you really think it is worth joining the ambassador club? Our rooms in the Lagoon are already booked and paid for.

We are going in Sept.

Thanks

It would only really be worth it if your nights there fall over the weekend. If they don't, then the free upgrade if available and late checkout wouldn't be worth your time.

We were in Lagoon bungalow #510 just a few weeks ago, and thought it was one of the major highlights of our trip (we didn't want to leave to go to the cruise).

There are some pictures of our bungalow as well as the rest of our trip here:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=dorkbgw.5jsk9n7w&Uy=-3klczu&Ux=0

There are some pictures of our bungalow as well as the rest of our trip here:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=dorkbgw.5jsk9n7w&Uy=-3klczu&Ux=0

Awesome pictures!! What camera did you use for the underwater shots? Did you have a separate underwater housing for it, and if so, what kind? Thanks for sharing, and congratulations!!:D

The "underwater" camera is a Canon A75, and I'm using the Canon made underwater housing made for the camera.

I really love this option over disposable underwater cameras, not really so much because of quality of pictures, but because of the ability to actually see what you're taking a picture of. It's nice to have the big lcd screen to look at when framing shots, and be able to review them while still in the water.

I snapped a few pictures underwater with a disposable for someone on our tours, and I couldn't see a thing as to what I was shooting.

Archived