Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ljfreitas

Cabo,Mazatian,Puerto Vallarta Shore Tours Question

Guest ljfreitas
Hey Leo, I just wanted to say HI from a fellow Freitas!

I wish I could help you with your decisions but I have not taken the exact tours you mention. We did take a Matzatlan tour but we didn't book through the ship or take Frank's. We weren't even going to take it but when we got to the terminal building, a tour was forming and it was $15 each. It was probably the best value we've ever gotten. A nice guide and comfortable bus. He took us all over Matzatlan and then to a beach restaraunt for some of those famous shrimp dinners. We also had some free time at the Gold Zone to wander and shop.

Our favorite excursion in Mazatlan was Randi's Horseback riding at Stone Island on a different occasion.

Have a great cruise!

Rick Freitas

Hi Rick,

Just wanted to hello back. It is nice to hear from another Freitas. There for awhile I thought that I was the Portuguese guy out here :D

Thanks for emailing me, Take care

Leo

Hey Leo, I just wanted to say HI from a fellow Freitas!

I wish I could help you with your decisions but I have not taken the exact tours you mention. We did take a Matzatlan tour but we didn't book through the ship or take Frank's. We weren't even going to take it but when we got to the terminal building, a tour was forming and it was $15 each. It was probably the best value we've ever gotten. A nice guide and comfortable bus. He took us all over Matzatlan and then to a beach restaraunt for some of those famous shrimp dinners. We also had some free time at the Gold Zone to wander and shop.

Our favorite excursion in Mazatlan was Randi's Horseback riding at Stone Island on a different occasion.

Have a great cruise!

Rick Freitas

Please tell us more about Randi's :)

Thanks,

David

We did Randi's Happy Horses in April and had a great time. Randi meets you as you exit the visitor center and takes you to the taxi (jitney) ride to the boat for the crossing to Stone Island. From the landing, there is a another jitney ride to the ranch where the horses are kept. You will be matched up with a horse according to your experience and weight/size. From there you'll ride to the beach with two guides. It's a beautiful ride along the beach, with palm trees on one side and the water on the other. We also got to ride back in the palm trees to see a newborn foal, which was only about 2 hrs old. The ride ends at Victor's beach restaurant, where you can get beverages and/or lunch. The food is very good and inexpensive and the setting can't be beat. You can swim at the beach or just relax and visit with Randi. After lunch, it's a short walk back for the ride to the boat and back to the ship. We were back at the ship by 1:30PM, so had time to do some shopping as well. Your $45 pays for the taxi and boat rides, the horseback ride and a beverage at Victor's. Lunch and additional beverages are at your cost.

At Victors, we had a combo seafood platter but their specialty is garlic shrimp I believe. Mazatlan is home to a huge shrimp industry.

( huge shrimp?) oxymoron?

My husband is not crazy about shrimp, so we shared a rib platter and got an order of onion rings. Our friends shared the combo shrimp platter, which included garlic shrimp and coconut shrimp. It looked and smelled delicious. At Victor's you are right at the water's edge, and it's a great place to wind down after your ride. There were two jewelry vendors there who were kind of persistent, but not rude or aggressive. They did have some nice stuff that I hadn't seen elsewhere, so if you look and then tell them no, they'll leave you alone.

DH had the garlic shrimp and I had the fried ones. So good. The onion rings are great as well as the guacomole. It is wonderful to sit right there at the waters edge - the breeze comes up and just feels so good. Don't forget to have any kids ask to use the free boogie boards at Victors. I had a hard time getting the grandkids (and DH) our of the water. It was the best tour on the whole trip and we will be back many times I am sure.

DH had the garlic shrimp and I had the fried ones. So good. The onion rings are great as well as the guacomole. It is wonderful to sit right there at the waters edge - the breeze comes up and just feels so good. Don't forget to have any kids ask to use the free boogie boards at Victors. I had a hard time getting the grandkids (and DH) our of the water. It was the best tour on the whole trip and we will be back many times I am sure.

I Know OT but, after cruising with Celebrity:) , why did you book next cruise with Carnival?:confused:

We love Celebrity and the longer cruises from S.F. We chose Carnival because we were taking our 2 granddaughters (15 and 12) and my daughter and SIL were also joining us with SIL's 2 boys (10 & 8) and needed the August date. We had a nice time - I don't think there is any cruise where we wouldn't. If it is just DH and I we probably would not choose Carnival but it worked for us at the time.

Thanks for reply... Good reason ''KIDS,'' I bet they had a Great Cruise, they will never forget it!!!!!!!

We had a table at the window in the back of the restaurant and the 8 year old was watching the sun set into the water and he saidd "wow, this is way better than Disneyland". And they still talk about Randi's.

We were on the Vision last Feb. and did the ship's walking tour of Puerto Vallarta - it was excellent , the guide was outstanding.