Post Crystal-Paris

janazaz

We are booking London to Nice for September 10. Planning a 3-day post cruise in Paris. Since this is our first European trip, I'm confused by the website with Left Bank/Right Bank/Inbetween Bank, etc. Where should we be looking to get the most out of these 3 days? Where have you stayed and why? I'd like a great location for walking and seeing the main sights if that's possible...and a great view. And, what should we absolutely not miss other than the typical tourists venues which I plan to hit anyway.

(Shhhh...What is the Moulin Rouge like?)

Thanks to all....Jan

Jan, the "Right Bank" and "Left Bank" refer to which side of the Seine you're on. In between you have two small islands--Ile de la Cite and Ile St. Louis. Notre Dame is on one of the islands.

Most tourist attractions (the Louvre, for example) are on the Right Bank. The Left Bank is more artsy and charming.

Paris is divided into 20 districts, or arrondissements. If you surf for hotels, you will always see the # of the district. The nicest locations are probably 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the Right Bank, and 5 (Latin Quarter) and 6 (St. Germain) on the Left Bank. If you don't mind being away from central Paris, Montmartre (18) is beautiful. That's where the Sacre Coeur is found.

I lived in Paris for three years and love the 6th arrondissement the most.

Hope that helps narrow down your selection.

Jan, I would suggest that you post your Paris questions on the Ports of Call Section of Cruise Critic under Europe where you will likely gets lots of feedback to your Paris questions.

The right and left banks refer to each side of the river. Based on what you have stated, I would recommend that you focus on the right bank. The right bank tends to have the fancier hotels and shops and will put you in walking distance (short, medium to long walks ranging from a few minutes to say 45 minutes) of major Paris attractions. Within the Right Bank, several fancy Paris hotels are located in the 8th arrondissement. As you narrow down the hotels then go to their web sites. Many have very nice views but you will pay more to request a room with a nicer view. But, don't worry about that. When in Paris, you will not spend too much time sitting in your room looking out the window. Rather, you will want to get out to see all that Paris has to offer. Here's some hotels in the 8th arrondissement that are very nice, in a great location and will have nice views.

Hotel Plaza Athenee

Four Seasons Hotel George V

Hotel de Grillon

Hotel Bristo

You might want to look again at Frommer's on line and read about all of the others in the 8th Arrondissement and also in the other areas that are mentioned in the other post.

The most centrally located arrondissement is the 1st and that has the Hotel Ritz and of course many many hotels to choose from as is the case in the other areas.

I just happen to prefer the 8th arrondissement for the reasons I mentioned but there are other arrondissement to choose from any thousands of hotels.

Again, there are many hotels to choose from at a whole variety of price ranges.

We stayed at the Hotel Plaza Athenee. Outstanding Hotel with great rooms, very nice lobby area and lobby bar to just sit around at night and people watch, great restaurants, excellent service, etc. We enjoyed the location. There are many restaurants and shops located adjacent to the Hotel. It was very easy to get over to the main roads to then walk over to the major tourist areas. I believe the Louvre was about a 45 minute walk. Within a 45 minute walking radius we could get to all of the areas that we wanted to see. The only time we needed a taxi was when we went to dinner at the Jules Vernes Restaurant located in the Eiffel Tower. It is an outstanding restaurant and don't let the thought of it being in the Eiffel Tower seem like a negative about the restaurant. Talk about great views and great food. Back to the Hotel, it has very experienced staff. A year or so after we stayed there we saw the movie Somethings Gotta Give starring Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton and when they are in Paris it briefly shows the front entrance and lobby area of the Plaza Athenee Hotel and who do we see in the movie, but the actual hotel doorman who was very helpful to us during our stay at the hotel.

Anyway, I would focus on hotels in the Right Bank. You can start with the area that I suggested. Post on the Europe Ports of call section. Go over to a bookstore and find a Frommers Paris Book and an Eyewitness Paris Travel Guide. Find the major sites that you are familiar with or that they highlight and then look for Hotels near those areas.

Finally, before your trip get a map of Paris that focuses on the main areas. Mark on it where your hotel is, and mark on it those attractions you plan to see. We found getting around in Paris extremely easy to navigate on our own.

Also, after you book your hotel and start to plan your stay in Paris, start reading about restaurants and if there are any in particular that you want to try e mail the hotel concierge to see if they will help you with reservations.

Keith

• 1 month later...
We are booking London to Nice for September 10. Planning a 3-day post cruise in Paris. Since this is our first European trip, I'm confused by the website with Left Bank/Right Bank/Inbetween Bank, etc. Where should we be looking to get the most out of these 3 days? Where have you stayed and why? I'd like a great location for walking and seeing the main sights if that's possible...and a great view. And, what should we absolutely not miss other than the typical tourists venues which I plan to hit anyway.

(Shhhh...What is the Moulin Rouge like?)

Thanks to all....Jan

I was stationed outside Paris back in the late 50s and have been back many times since. Previous posters have provided some excellent advice.

If you are interested in the "lost generation" Paris, get hold of the guidebook Walks in Hemingway's Paris, Published by St. Martin's Press. Also check out website www.2gol.com/users/kay/germain/html for historical walk through St. Germain des Pres.

I always stay on the left bank, as that's the area I know best. I'm hesitent to post this, but if you want a small, historic hotel, see if you can book the Hotel Angleterre on rue Jacob in St. Germaine des Pres. It was Hemmingway's first home in Paris; old but charming and not too expensive.

If I can answer any questions suggest you e-mail me.

PS: Moulin Rouge is a tourist trap; show at Lido is much better in my opinion. Both are very expensive!

We'll look forward to meeting you on 6322. We are not staying over in Paris, just making a connecting flight from there to Miami. We leave Nice for Paris at 7:25 a.m.

By the way, friends have told us not to miss the tour of the Landing Beaches on the 11th of September. They say it ordinarily sells out early and is a great tour.

Hi Jan,

A couple of years ago I stayed in a small boutique 3 star hotel called Hotel Meslay Republique in the 3rd arondissement on the right bank. It's right next to Le Place de la Republique, less than a minute' s walk from the metro.

If you like walking, it's about 15 mins walk from the Bastille and 20 mins from Notre Dame.

The hotel was nice and clean and reasonably priced. We got a "3 nights for the price of 2" offer with some internet city breaks site, including a very nice continental breakfast in their cellar!! The staff spoke English, and there was no trouble storing luggage for later in the day, on the day of our departure.

We took one of those open top bus tours they have, which is a good way to get to know the lay-out of the city. There was a recorded commentary. If I remember correctly they have 3 routes with a number of inter-connecting stops. You can get on and off as many times as you like. You can get a 24hr or 48hr ticket - http://www.paris-opentour.com/index_eng.htm about 28 euro for the 2 day one. So you've plenty of time to get off and explore whatever interests you, and then get back on to the next place. The only thing is the weather. We were there in February and it was freezing cold, but we buttoned up and snuggled up together on the top deck and had a great time. Luckily it didn't rain!!!!!

I can also recommend doing a pre-cruise in London if you're already coming all the way to Europe. It's also an amazing city.

Anyway, have a great cruise and a great trip.

Nadge.

Archived