Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GLCAS

Why so much cheaper than other lines?

I have been shopping for a cruise next winter and NCL seems to be consistently cheaper. Can someone tell me why. I have only gone on Carnival's newer ships, but how do they compare?? How do the restaurants work? Is there a sitting time? How does the quality of food compare?:confused::confused:

Sorry I just read the food post and it answered most of my questions:o. How is the atmosphere compared to Carnival?

Thanks

:)

About the same. The main thing I miss on CCL are the midnight comedians. NCL has the chocolate buffet, freestyle is great. Search for the thread NCL VS CCL or something like that. Lots of info in that thread.

Freestyle is great all the way around. It's more flexible which most travelers like, and it's more efficient which is less expensive for the cruise line to run. For one example, think about traditional dining vs freestyle: In traditional, there are two assigned seatings for dinner. Each table is therefore only used twice per evening. In freestyle each table can be used 3-4 times per evening, much more efficient use of expensive space!

I have been shopping for a cruise next winter and NCL seems to be consistently cheaper. Can someone tell me why. I have only gone on Carnival's newer ships, but how do they compare?? How do the restaurants work? Is there a sitting time? How does the quality of food compare?:confused::confused:

You get what you paid for:p

No offence Goldenbonny, but we got the point a long time ago.. You don’t like NCL. OK, Ok, we got it. Now, just move on to another board/line. Your comments are getting boring.

To the OP… I have sailed CCL, RCCL and NCL. NCL is the only line thus far that I have sailed twice on and am booked on our 3rd (Spirit 7/22). I personally prefer NCL over the others. I have found the quality of the food and service comparable to the other lines. What I prefer over the other lines is the Freestyle. You can’t beat it… The other thing I like (this is a personal observation and experience) is I can get a Penthouse Suite (with a butler, concierge, and all the extra perks) for a fraction of the price then on other lines. Many other lines offer suites at a higher price and they don’t include the extra perks. We have always stayed in a suite on NCL ships and have always been pampered and treated royally.. This is perhaps why I prefer NCL over the other lines.

I have also sailed on different cruiselines, and in all honesty I liked them all. I am not one that is a cheerleader for a specific line. I love NCL's freestyle and have found that the food is equal to other lines I have been on. I especially liked the chilled soup:) . I would recommend NCL highly.

I have also sailed on different cruiselines, and in all honesty I liked them all. I am not one that is a cheerleader for a specific line. I love NCL's freestyle and have found that the food is equal to other lines I have been on. I especially liked the chilled soup:) . I would recommend NCL highly.

I "ditto" the above comments!! I also really enjoyed NCL's desserts and pastries!

the quality of the food has gone down very considerably on NCL of late

I traveled on the Dawn May 2005 and this May - I did not think that the quality of the food has gone down in any way. Thought the food was good or very good (in many cases).

You get what you paid for:p

Wonder how long we'll have to put up with goldenbonny and her mean-spirited, negative postings.

First off, prices on all mass-market cruise lines are comparable. I've just received some emailed offers from the supposed "premium" cruise lines--don't believe that myth--that are as attractive price-wise as anything on NCL. We've found the overall cruise experience on NCL, Renaissance, HAL, and Celebrity to be about the same. Each has its plusses and minuses, but they are essentially comparable.

Wonder how long we'll have to put up with goldenbonny and her mean-spirited, negative postings.

I am so glad I am not the only one who is getting bored with this rhetoric. :mad:

To the OP I don't believe I get any better cruise experience on other (more expensive) cruiselines. I get a different cruise experience, but not better.

My preference is Freestyle Cruising. With that you are going to get a few less options in the dining room. I have no problem with this because sometimes in the past I believe there were too many choices (what to have what to have...oh hell just give me one of each :eek: ). The quality of food by no means has gone downhill just the quantity. But, that can be remedied by ordering seconds from the get go if that is what you need.

PE

Try Seabourn ;) I think you'll retract that statement! :D

I have had friends try Seabourn and their opinion was "pretentious". Myself I believe I could do 2 or 3 cruises for what Seabourn would cost. I'll just take your word for it Matt. I'll bet sailing in one of the huge suite aboard the QE2 would be different also. But you are comparing apples with Kiwi's. :rolleyes:

But I believe the OP was talking about "main stream" or "mass market" lines.

PE

I have also found NCL to be consistently cheaper for the cruises I have researched. I do not know why, but I like it;) . I have sailed several of the other lines and have found that I prefer NCL, their friendly crews, their ship sizes & layouts, their ports, and my fellow passengers (for the most part;) ), and the food (especially the breads and desserts which carry a lot of weight with me!;) ).

In April, I decided to try one of Carnival's newer ships, the Liberty. I bucked up the 35% higher fare (based on a per-night figure)over a new itinerary on one of my favorite NCL ships. I had a very nice time on Carnival and would consider the lines comparable in most aspects, but would really have been happier on NCL, even if prices had been equal, based on the things that are important to me.

Here is a thread on how people think the food compares on the two lines.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=360730

One thing that I have seen people get stressed-out about with Freestyle is that your show schedule is not based on when you eat. If the shows are important to you, you have to plan your meal based on not missing your show. I always eat early--never have to wait for a table, almost always seated near a window, and have two chances to hit whichever show is convenient.

No sitting times with Freestyle. You eat in one of the 7-10 or so restaurants (new ships) when you decide to.

One thing that I have seen people get stressed-out about with Freestyle is that your show schedule is not based on when you eat. If the shows are important to you, you have to plan your meal based on not missing your show. I always eat early--never have to wait for a table, almost always seated near a window, and have two chances to hit whichever show is convenient.

This is the BEST thing about freestyle for us. We like going to the early show and then eating afterwards. If we're hungry before the early show, there are several choices for getting a quick bite. The key is that YOU set your schedule to suit yourself, not the cruise line. What a wonderful concept. And they don't charge extra.

I think there's a few reasons why NCL is cheaper:

1) Marketing! (I think this the big reason) Carnival has TV ads telling us they "have a million ways to have fun" and RCCL keep telling us to "get out there!" NCL, not a word. If you don't market you don't have the higher demand and prices will be lower

2) More Onboard Revenue. Between the higher drink prices ($9+ for a froo froo drink of the day?), the fees they collect for the surcharge resturants, $15 corkage fee for bottles of wine no matter where you drink them, higher spa prices, more expensive bingo, etc. Heck, NCL even x-rays your bags searching for alcohol, and seem to catch people about 75% of the time. This was also the line that experimented with charging for "primium" entertainment at one point. Basically NCL gets you after the fact. They don't quite nickle and dime you any more than other cruise lines, and it's only a few dollars extra here and there, but I bet it adds up overall.

3) Less "exciting" ships. While both RCCL and Carnival are building them bigger (and it seems alot of people think bigger is better and are willing to pay for that) and RCCL seems to find new gimicks to attract people (ice skating? a boxing ring?) NCL has a fleet of panamax ships and a few older ones with a fairly standard list of amenities. They tend to have fewer pool areas, less dramatic interior spaces, etc. It's not that NCL ships are bad, it's just if you want to charge more you have to have something that makes people go "ooooh!" If you put a smaller ship on the same route as a larger one, chances are the larger one will get more money. I think this a big reason why NCL "homeports" so much: it leaves them with less competition in selected markets.

4) Cost cutting where you don't see it. NCL is a wonderful line as long as things go as planned. When a problem happens however, you will get stonewalled. They are an extremely top-down organization with apparently no one authorized to do much more than talk. Their booking and shoreside departments are known to be among the worst in the industry (having run up against it myself) It's cost cutting in an area I think they really shouldn't be.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are the ones I can think of. I used to hate NCL after a horrible booking experience (ever been bumped off a cruise 1 1/2 weeks before you're suppose to go?) but I tried them again last year and had a blast. But when you're up against the feature laddened ships of RCCL and the marketing giant that is Carnival corp, chances are you'll need to charge a little less to fill those cabins.