Just back from Western Caribe 6/20-6/27 on the Explorer - any questions?

Hey Youse Guys did you forget about me or what???????? I wanna go on the next cruise too. Annie, if you get us a cruise for free and we market RCCL you are definitely Da Man!!!!

Anne you could e-mail me your travel agents name also. I probably have it someplace but what the heck. Tell Andy and Amanda we said hello.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for such an informative thread. I'm still waffling between the Explorer and the Rhapsody, and since no one else asked silly questions, I thought I'd give it a try. :)

My son (age 14) and I (fabulous 50) went on our first cruise in June -- Monarch of the Seas, 4-day cruise out of San Pedro, CA. We will be going on our next cruise next June 5th (as my name implies, baseball rules our lives, and we'll only have one precious week of vacation next summer). Here are my questions:

1. In Cozumel, would there be time to do the dolphin encounter/royal swim AND visit Paradise Beach? The ship is there from 7am - 5pm, so my guess is that we could do both and still get back to the ship on time.

2. Re the dolphins: In your opinion(s) do you need to be a good swimmer to do the Royal Swim? I know my son will be fine -- I'm the dorky lousy swimmer, but I think I'd be OK if I wore a life vest.

3. Did anyone tour the oceanographic lab? After my son makes zillions playing in the majors ;) he says he wants to be a marine biologist. So, I thought it might be good for him to see a working lab.

4. And last (I promise): Were there lots of teens on board? I think school will still be in session in many areas during that first week of June, but I'm hoping there will be other kids his age for him to hang with. Was it mostly families and couples? I'm fine being on my own, but it might be nice to meet up with other single parents, especially in the evenings.

Thanks so much for any and all advice!

Laurie

Ron, I'm so glad you got the refund. Especially since I recommended shoretrips to you. Glad to see you back on here. I'm going down to LBI ina few weeks. What part of the shore, if any, do you and your family go to?

Mark

Laurie:

In Cozumel, would there be time to do the dolphin encounter/royal swim AND visit Paradise Beach? The ship is there from 7am - 5pm, so my guess is that we could do both and still get back to the ship on time

you'll have to check the times for the royal swim. if you catch an early one, you may have time for both. but i hear the park where the dolphin swim is has a nice beach and is a great place to spend the day in cozumel.

Re the dolphins: In your opinion(s) do you need to be a good swimmer to do the Royal Swim? I know my son will be fine -- I'm the dorky lousy swimmer, but I think I'd be OK if I wore a life vest.

Everyone wears a life vest. I think you'd be ok. you just have to wade out to begin the two dolphin stunts i described. should be no problem.

And last (I promise): Were there lots of teens on board? I think school will still be in session in many areas during that first week of June, but I'm hoping there will be other kids his age for him to hang with. Was it mostly families and couples? I'm fine being on my own, but it might be nice to meet up with other single parents, especially in the evenings.

There were plenty of teens. My 14 yr old daughter had a blast with her 15 yr old friend and some friends they made on board. It's a really welcoming place to meet people.

If you have more questions, feel free. I love to help.

Mark

Laurie ~ I second everything Mark said. There was a family on our ship who did Paradise Beach in the morning and the dolphin encounter in the afternoon (but I don't know which one). It's not very far from the ship to Paradise Beach.

I think nowadays, no matter what time of year you cruise, you will find some kids the age of yours.

You will have a great time.

By the way, if we get a vote, we'd pick Rhapsody. We've been on both and had a great time on both. We just enjoy the smaller ships more. However, Explorer does have a wonderful cruise director (altho I don't know if she'll be there next June). You can't go wrong! Monarch was also our very first ship! Explorer is a big difference. Your son would love her!

Ron ~ we could NEVER forget about you. Free cruise, though? HA HA HA HA HA. Don't you know there are NO free things in life??? It's a busy week -- Amanda and I both work at the Cincinnati Masters Series mens tennis tournament so we haven't been home much in the last week (or the rest of this week). Look for an email.

Great week, all!

By the way....JEN .... is that YOU????

~Anne

Thanks, Mark and Anne for your replies. Oh yes, Anne, you definitely get a vote! I would love to hear everyone's opinion re their favorite ships. My guess is that Rhapsody is similar in size and layout to Monarch, and I've yet to read anything overly negative about the ship. I think I might be more comfortable on Rhapsody, and the itinerary is definitely relaxing (I think it's the only one with 3 days at sea). Explorer is very intriguing, though, especially the Promenade and outside sports areas (we just can't get away from sports...). I can't even imagine being on a ship that big -- seems larger than life, which could be a blast! After reading, reading, and reading, I'm just not that enthused about Belieze or Costa Maya, but maybe I've been reading the wrong posts.

I know that I will have lots of questions when we finally decide on our cruise, and I thank you for being so welcoming.

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

I was on the same cruise with my friends Anne and Mark and we had a blast. There were plenty of teenagers on our cruise and they were very well behaved.

One of the families that we met did do the Paradise Beach trip as well as, the Dolphin trip at Chankanaab Park. It is possible to do both but I would double check the starting times of your Dolphin trip.

As far as the ship itself, I was very impressed with the way everything was conducted on board, even the tendering was not bad. When you consider that the ship had 3600 people on board, they did a remarkable job with the tenders.

The stops at Belize and Costa Maya are not going to be the same as a stop in St. Thomas. Each place is very quiet and rustic, especially Costa Maya. Once you get past the cruise ship dock with its shops you can expect a trip to a sleepy tranquil fishing villag. The people were very friendly and didnt constantly bother you to buy anything. This is not to say that the hawkers were not present; but, they did take no for an answer.

If you are referring to the lab on board the Explorer it is worth a visit. I have a degree in Marine Biology and I was impressed with what they had on board the ship. Also, by all means go to Stingray City in Grand Cayman. The reef snorkling was spectacular (this coming from a certified diver and you and your son will experience what it is like to swim and hold Atlantic Stingrays. I hope this helped.

Giantsfan...I have a question for you!

You mentioned the coral reef excursion. Did you do that through the ship? We signed up for that and haven't found any feedback. I'd love to hear more about it!

Thanks,
Jackie

Giantsfan, yes, you helped tremendously. Two things I know for sure: Stingray City and dolphin swimming are already on the agenda (now to just decide the ship...:)).

When I re-read my post, I realized how close-minded I sounded, and that's not the case at all. I would like to see the ruins in Costa Maya, and the fishing village atmosphere sounds very nice. I live in a typically over-developed So Cal suburb, and I think it's important to broaden your horizons -- especially when they're right at your doorstep (or gangplank). I'll be saving for this cruise for the next 10 months, and I want to do it right. In Belize I know my son would want to go cave tubing. He's the adventurer, I'm the big wimp. Somehow we'll find a happy medium.

And yes, I too think seeing the onboard lab would be great. Thanks so much for your help.

Laurie

Laurie ~ actually, Rhapsody is a bit bigger than Monarch but not so much bigger that you feel ovewhelmed. We sailed Rhapsody and Vision on cruises 10 months apart (very similar ships) and we really enjoyed both of them. They are very comfortable. The thing we don't like about the megaships (Explorer, etc) is that they tend to feel like a hotel on shore. We don't cruise for shopping malls and rock climbing walls (althought I know they appeal to a lot of people) and we enjoy ships with 2000 people much more than those with 3.600 people. BUT, we had a fabulous time on Explorer. Much of that was due to the wonderful cruise critic members we got to know and the wonderful cruise director on board. The ship for us on this trip was kind of irrelevant to the fun of the people we shared the cruise with.

If you ever get the chance, try the Radiance class ships (Radiance, Brilliance, Jewel and Serenade). They are at the top of my list for favorite ships. Still much smaller than the megaships but absolutely beautiful. Tons of glass so you see water everywhere.

I don't think you'll go wrong no matter what you choose. You seem like you'd fit right into our cruise critic group. You'll have to join us next time. When you pick a cruise, get involved in a roll call for it and get to know others. You'll likely even find other teens sailing with you that way.

Ron ~ I didn't know you had a degree in Marine Biology. Still learning about you! Look for that email shortly!

Happy cruising!

~Anne

Dear Anne,

Funny you should mention the Radiance ships. There is still a chance that I will be able to convince my son to go to Alaska, and if we do we'll go on either the Radiance or the Serenade. Which of those two do you prefer?

Alaska was my first choice this time (it's almost becoming a cliche to cruise to Alaska to celebrate the big 5-0, but I didn't care). For this next cruise, we're budgeting much more carefully so whichever way we go, we'll be able to do everything we want to do.

I understand what you mean about a big "hotel" feel to the larger ships. I've read where many people love their promenade staterooms because they can look down onto the "main street" of the ship. I don't quite get it. Seems to me that if you're on a ship you'd want to see the OCEAN, but to each their own.

I absolutely will join a roll call and hopefully there will be a meet & mingle on whichever ship we're on or at least the opportunity to meet other CC members. Don't get me wrong -- my son is a wonderful traveling companion, but by next year he'll be smack in the middle of his teen years and I doubt he'll want to hang out with his ol' mom. :)

Thank you again for all the great tips!

Laurie

Hi JKHURCK,

We did the reef snorkle and Stingray City in Grand Cayman privately. There must have been 4 cruise-critic families that traveled together that day and we used Captain Bryans and the Buccaneer. It was a fantastic trip run by very professional people. The best part of the trip was that we had 24 people on a 50 foot catamaran - plenty of space and time at each stop. The same excursion booked through the trip looked like a floating cattle car. Had to be close to 125 people on one boat. I would highly recommend Capt. Bryans.

Hi Anne,

I studied Biology and Marine Bio in undergraduate and graduate school. I thought I was going to be the next Jacques Cousteau; but, it didn't quite work out that way. However, I loved every minute of the classes and research trips I was on.

Hi Baseball Mom,

I would never pass judgement on how anyone wants to spend their vacation time and more importantly their money. You have to do what is best for you and your son. By the way, Anne was right, you would have fit in nicely with us!

Hi giantsfan,
You're absolutely right re passing judgement. What works for one may not work for another. I would rather have a root canal than go camping, but I have friends that love it. On the other hand, they think we're nuts for using all our vacation time to schlep to baseball tournaments (and they may have a point there :) ) That's one great thing about cruising -- there seems to be something for just about everyone!

Speaking of which...Host Anne's power of suggestion is scaringly spooky and I may not be long for this wonderful thread. I spent some time last night researching the Radiance fleet and it seems that Serenade, in addition to being beautiful, sails on June 5! The itinerary sounds great. Having just returned from "paradise," my son says that if I want Alaska, he wants Alaska. Today I met with a terrific new T.A., and when I got home there was a coupon from RCCL good for a $50 stateroom discount. Forget eating mac & cheese -- we'll be eating 25 cent packs of Ramen for a year, but who cares? Now if I can just get my son to stop talking about wanting to go ice climbing!!!!

One more general question: early or late seating, and why? We had early seating on Monarch and missed every departure, but did see the sunset. I'm leaning toward late, because that will give us time to get back from excursions and go to the gym before dinner. If we're half the gluttons we were on Monarch, we'll need the pre-meal workout.

Laurie

Just had a few questions.......we are sailing the Explorer Western side Oct 10th.........which nights were the formal nights???????

Did you have the game the "quest" played????

Did anyone do the cavetubing with Wet N Wild?? What did you like or dislike about it???

For those that visited Mahujal (sp?) the little fishing village in Costa Maya......how did you get there??? Walk?? Taxi??? What if you can't pronouce the name???? I took 3 yrs of Spanish and still can't speak a word of it.:o

What day was your CC party??? What did RCCL do for you??? Raffle??? Drinks??? snackies???

Okay.......I think i'm done now..... LOL:D

Thanks

Hi new2cruizin:

Let's see if i can help with a few of your questions:

which nights were the formal nights? - on our cruise the formal nights were the second night and the sixth night.

Did you have the game the "quest" played? - don't know what that is.

What day was your CC party - It was at noon on the first day at sea. But, we had our own party at sailaway.

What did RCCL do for you - they had hor d'oerves (spelling?) and iced tea and water. They also raffled off dinner for two at Portofino's and a RCCL mousepad.

Mark

Thank you for your replys........the Quest is like a treasure hunt game for adults....I saw it on the video from my Parent's first cruise on the Explorer in 2002........the CD requests certain things that are absolutely hysterical like " I want to see a man wearing a ladies bra and lipstick" and then one person from the team must find those things, put them on and run to the CD with the team number to gain points......it was the funniest thing I had ever seen. Well when we cruised the Navigator last year, our CD didn't do it, so I'm hoping that this time around we have a CD that will. It's one of those games that you laugh so hard your stomach hurts.....LOL:D

Anyways, thanks again

Hi new2cruizin,

I was on the cruise with Marko to the Western Carib on the Explorer. We did have the "quest" game played and it was hysterical.

We went to the tiny town of Ma-wa-hall - correct pronunciation. When you walk through the pier and shops you will come to a transportation booth. Just tell them you want to go to Ma-wa-hall. They transport you on an air conditioned bus for about 1 mile. If I remember correctly it was either $2 or $4 a person one way. In order to get back to the pier you will take a taxi. The people were very friendly and the drinks and food was inexpensive. It made for a very relaxing day. When you stop on Grand Cayman, I recommend spending the day at Paradise Beach if you have no excursions booked. The beach is absolutely gorgeous with lots of things to do - waverunners, ocean kayaks, water trampoline and ice berg, snorkling........

[quote name='baseballmom']Thank you, thank you, thank you all for such an informative thread. I'm still waffling between the Explorer and the Rhapsody, and since no one else asked silly questions, I thought I'd give it a try. :)

My son (age 14) and I (fabulous 50) went on our first cruise in June -- Monarch of the Seas, 4-day cruise out of San Pedro, CA. We will be going on our next cruise next June 5th (as my name implies, baseball rules our lives, and we'll only have one precious week of vacation next summer). Here are my questions:

1. In Cozumel, would there be time to do the dolphin encounter/royal swim AND visit Paradise Beach? The ship is there from 7am - 5pm, so my guess is that we could do both and still get back to the ship on time.

2. Re the dolphins: In your opinion(s) do you need to be a good swimmer to do the Royal Swim? I know my son will be fine -- I'm the dorky lousy swimmer, but I think I'd be OK if I wore a life vest.

3. Did anyone tour the oceanographic lab? After my son makes zillions playing in the majors ;) he says he wants to be a marine biologist. So, I thought it might be good for him to see a working lab.

4. And last (I promise): Were there lots of teens on board? I think school will still be in session in many areas during that first week of June, but I'm hoping there will be other kids his age for him to hang with. Was it mostly families and couples? I'm fine being on my own, but it might be nice to meet up with other single parents, especially in the evenings.

Thanks so much for any and all advice!

Laurie[/QUOTE]

Lauire,

We are already booked on the explorer for next June 5th. Hope you will be joining us. We've done the Eastern Carib. and S. Carib soooo many times we're really psyched to go on the ports that the EOS goes to. There is already a thread started on the Roll Calls, so feel free to contribute.

Sorry to be MIA for so long. Amanda and I have spent the last ten days working at the Tennis Masters Cincinnati Tennis Tournament (won by Andre Agassi). We've done if for years (this was my 24th -- I started when I was 5 !!!). Makes for long days and nights (plus I tried to squeeze work in here and there as well). Now that I'm back among the working, it's long days as we have our major show in seven weeks. Long days there, too, so very little time to spend on the boards. I miss you guys!

Let's see if I can answer some questions:

Laurie ~ I don't think you can go wrong with either the Radiance or the Serenade. The Radiance is the oldest of the class; Serenade the newest. Either would be fine with me. They'd be a great ship in Alaska because there is so much glass to see outside. I'd go for an aft cabin if you can swing it. The views would be awesome. I'm with you. I want to be looking at the ocean when I'm on a ship; not the inside of a mall!

On dinner seating, we haven't done early seating for years. It's so nice not to have to rush back to the ship and get ready for dinner. You can always grab a late afternoon snack to hold you over if you are worried that 8:30 is too late for dinner. We'd never switch back to early seating. There's too many nice things about eating later. No rushing to get ready; we like to enjoy a before dinner drink in a lounge listening to music and meeting with friends we've met on board. :-)

New2cruisin ~ They played quest on both RCI cruises I was on this year. Always very funny. We did cave tubing but with X-treme not Wet-N-Wild. X-treme did a great job and we had much better headband flashlights and our guide had a large flashlight that really made a difference. Some who used other tours (don't know who) didn't have lights at all.

We had a great turnout for our CC party. The cruise director joined us and it was a nice gathering. We did plan our own sailaway as well. We had a lot of people show up for it too. We picked the Sky Bar on the pool deck and watched sailaway together. A great way to meet.

Ron ~ sorry I haven't dropped you an email yet. My laptop crashed and burned and I don't have your email here at home at the moment. I'll try to remember in the morning at work. Just too brain dead at the moment.

By the way, we think the town is pronounced Ma-Ha-Wall. And Paradise Beach was in Cozumel (we went to Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman). I know -- we're getting old and the memory is going. We took a bus there and a taxi back from Majahual. Short drive and an inexpensive cab ride.

OH ... and those who are going to Costa Maya ~ be sure to look for the guys and girl who do beautiful painting on ceramic tiles with their fingers. It's amazing. They are set up on the little plaza at the pier in Costa Maya.

Ron ~ send me an email in the evening so I get it at home (I can not remember to bring your email home from the office :-)

We need to plan another cruise! Hope Donna is having a great time! By the way, Mark -- BAD BOY for that comment!!!!!!

Have a great Wednesday!

~Anne

Hi Giantsfan: Hope your team won the tournament! We're done with travel ball until next summer at least. Now he's concentrating on making the high school team.

Hi Redwings1958: I would have loved to have been a part of the Explorer's CC group, and I thank you for thinking of me, but I just put down a deposit on Serenade to Alaska! I do hope to see the Caribbean someday, but things fell so perfectly into place for Serenade that we just had to go!

Hi Host Anne: I must thank you for planting the Serenade seed in my little brain. We chose a mid-ship cabin because I'm concerned about motion sickness. I did manage to nab a D1 with a larger balcony than most, and I think it will be terrific. We also requested late seating. My T.A. had originally requested a small table, but when I went in today another T.A. changed it to a larger table. We got very lucky on our first cruise and had terrific tablemates, so I'm hoping the luck will repeat itself. I also hope there will be a CC Meet & Mingle -- that would be just great!

Thanks to all of you for all of your help! Now to research excursions (except for that dreaded ice climbing) and Vancouver sights and hotels for the night before we sail!!

Laurie

Archived