Arrival Question...

CPACruiser79

Has anyone arrived in Papeete on the ANZ flight at 5:40 am? It is my understanding that (assuming you are on time) you will not be out of the airport till around 7:15 or 7:30am depending on how fast you get bags and immigration. We are attempting to figure out what to do with ourselves from that time until we can begin boarding... I've heard that some of the hotels (Sheraton?) will allow you to hang out in the lobby area and eat lunch, etc... has anyone ever done this or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

I have taken this flight. You might want to grab a coffee/bite while waiting for your bags and then change some money, if you need. (Currency exchange is open whenever there is a flight.) We caught a flight on to Moorea, so I can't be much help on how to while away the hours, but I think you are right about being out of there 7:30.

BTW, great flight. We were in business class. Lots to eat and do, if you can't sleep. And they constantly kept my water glass filled.

We just returned in May and took that same Air NZ flt.

Reserve a rental car and see Tahiti..that is what we did. We were in our car by 8 am and toured the entire island. We even parked next to the ship to drop off our luggage AND have lunch on board. We then took off again for more sightseeing.

If you do rent a car..go to the top of The Belevedere...white knuckle drive...oh my god!!

Hope this helps...enjoy your trip.

It sounds like a great idea, I just have a couple of questions if you don't mind. We are in Papeete in November and are 2 days pre cruise & 3 days post. We are looking for things to do.

1. - Which side of the road do they drive on? We had a moped in the Bahamas which was on the left. Tricky, but fun!

2. - About what cost isit for the day?

3. - How were the other drivers in and around Tahiti?

Thanks.

1. normal side (right)

2. very expensive ~80$ US a day for a small 2dr aircondition manual. If you want a automatice, I think it is >100$

3. Tahiti is not as crazy as Asian country. They follow traffice rule, but remember they are island time, everything is slower.

This sounds like a GREAT idea! See the sites, go to the beach, maybe go visit the golf course. Also the top of the Belevedere as suggested.

Driving on the left would make me think twice (Bahamas moped was enough and it only had 2 wheels) and crazy drivers would have made it a NO GO! Too dangereous! :(

Thanks again!

For those of you considering a little drive up the Belevedere...be prepared!!!

There is no place to turn around, road VERY narrow, hairpin turns, no barricades on the roads...extreme driving techniques required...my husband has his SCCA license and the old boy was very quiet driving.

We met two cars on the way down.....luckily there was a little space that the upcoming car could pull over! There is a tour that takes people up to the top for dinner in a bus of some kind...my god...I can't imagine being in a swaying bus going up.

Maybe it is just me BUT it was very frightening for me....there is one point where there is just a little lane and nothing on both sides but straight down!!!

Whoooooops!!!!!!

We were on this flight early in May. It took us just over one hour to clear immigration, only two agents for two large aircraft. Once we cleared immigration our bags were already on the carrousel. Clearing customs was simply a case of being waved through by the agents.

We were booked at the Sheraton Tahiti and they took real good care of us. We arrived a little after 8:00am and the prepared a room for us, encouraged us to go have breakfast and we were in a room by 9:30am. Later that day we were upgraded to a suite and discovered that our breakfast had been paid for.

BWT, the speed of things in Tahiti is not the same as in North America so try to relax and be patient, it pays off.

Can't wait to go back tp FP :)

We were on this flight early in May. It took us just over one hour to clear immigration, only two agents for two large aircraft. Once we cleared immigration our bags were already on the carrousel. Clearing customs was simply a case of being waved through by the agents.

We were booked at the Sheraton Tahiti and they took real good care of us. We arrived a little after 8:00am and the prepared a room for us, encouraged us to go have breakfast and we were in a room by 9:30am. Later that day we were upgraded to a suite and discovered that our breakfast had been paid for.

BWT, the speed of things in Tahiti is not the same as in North America so try to relax and be patient, it pays off.

Can't wait to go back tp FP :)

We are planning ahead for our Pacific Princess cruise - 26 Days - Dec. 15, 2007 PPT/FLL (I know - a long way off :rolleyes: but I like to plan ahead :p )

In order to be rested after the long trip from the East Coast - we are planing to arrive PPT the day BEFORE embrkation.....

I have already reserved 1 night at the Sheraton Tahiti using SPG points....

We have been in Papeete multiple times but never overnight at a Papeete hotel. (We were Post Cruise at the Sheraton Moorea in an OWB -- Heavenly!)

In March 2003 we arrived very early AM and Princess transferrred us to the Sheraton Tahiti where we had breakfast courtesy of Princess - I don't know if they still do that for early arriving flights the day of embarkation ?? We were then tansferred to the Tahitian to embark.

I'd appreciate an opinion about 1 overnight at the Sheraton Tahiti vs. 1 overnight at Le Meridian ??

I can book either for the same amount of SPG points...............I know the the Sheraton Tahiti is closer to town and easy to transfer to the ship vs. Le Meridian.

If we were planning on anything more than 1 night - I'd go back to Moorea.

BUT - I don't think it's worthwhile for the bother of the transfer from Papeete for just 1 night........

Not interestd in sightseeing Papeete or Moorea this trip - we just would rest up & relax by the pool until time to embark the ship..........

Thanks to all for their opinion.

Renee (aka GotToCruise)

Can't speak for the Meridian but we really enjoyed the Sheraton. No transfers from Princess, much less expensive to "do-it-yourself". Our cab from the aitport to the Sheraton was 15,000CFP (about $15). We spent one full day and one night here prior to embarkation, spent time at the pool and were trated very well. Cab from hotel to ship was also 15,000CFP. If you're staying at the Sheraton, say hello to Tupu the bellman, you can't miss him, big guy, big smile, he was the best:)

Enjoy!

Archived