Memo to Colin: Do SOMETHING about the food.

bunduo

Thanks Monte,

If you want to compare NCL in the Michelin system it would be a -3:rolleyes:

And that would probably be true for the majority of cruise lines! (but I'm still happy with the food)

-Monte

All these mixed reviews with the food on the Spirit is driving me batty!!! Im leaving in two weeks for my first NCL cruise, and only previously cruised on Celebrity (Food was good!)

Honestly I am not expecting the food on NCL to be incredible- I live in NYC where the restaurants are fabulous and unmatched to date- do I expect that on a cruise- no way! Im going on the cruise for fun in the sun with my DH- not to pick apart the food! I think someone else said it correctly that cruises are no longer about eating gourmet food until you burst- but more about the activities, events, entertainment and ports!

I hope that when I return from my vacation I will have only good things to post about! :)

Ciao,

Christine

Christine:

Well said!!!!!

We are going on the Star in December. Our previous cruise on the Star was in September 2003. We'll be very interested to see the differences in dining with all the changes that have taken place. ;)

Kathy

All these mixed reviews with the food on the Spirit is driving me batty!!! Im leaving in two weeks for my first NCL cruise, and only previously cruised on Celebrity (Food was good!)

Honestly I am not expecting the food on NCL to be incredible- I live in NYC where the restaurants are fabulous and unmatched to date- do I expect that on a cruise- no way! Im going on the cruise for fun in the sun with my DH- not to pick apart the food! I think someone else said it correctly that cruises are no longer about eating gourmet food until you burst- but more about the activities, events, entertainment and ports!

I hope that when I return from my vacation I will have only good things to post about! :)

Ciao,

Christine

It is not only on the Spirit........it is the entire NCL fleet. No one said anything about eating food until you burst. People who eat like that don`t appreciate good food;) IMO.

I do not cruise for the activities, events, entertainment or ports. So you see not all people cruise for the same reasons.:)

Ciao,

Christine

LOL you would think the people are starving...You should love the Spirit. Its a nice eclectic ship...and freestyle is interesting too....

For those who are basic meat and pototo eaters I can understand your disappointment as most everything is cooked with sauses, etc and a little unusual. If you love huge servings you will be disappointed as well. They have cut back on size of servings, but as for quality I just don't see it has changed much. NMNita

Nita,

Usually, I agree with you on just about everything but on this one, I just can't. First, I wouldn't consider us just 'meat and potato' eaters. I like unusual sauce.:) Second, we actually commented that the serving sizes have actually increased. They are not Cheesecake Factory size but they are getting there. It seems NCL exchanged quality for quantity.

When the 'pay' restuarants were first introduced, many people commented that why should they pay when the food in the main dining rooms is so good. Obviously, Colin and other cruiseline CEO's have heard these comments. They have successfully stratified the dining experience.

I'm not a negative person and it pains me to criticize NCL. The last place a cruiseline should cut corners is with the food. The masses are willing to overlook a lot 'cost cutting' in other areas if their bellies are full.

-Matt

Just back from the Majesty and we found the food was very good. Last week they started adding more things to each menu. The concierge gave us copies of the menus from the previous week, and told us to expect new dishes added to it each night. My only disappointment was the pastrami which was served cold at the poolside buffet and not hot like on the Dawn.

I was served lobster tails in the dining room and the waiter told me to let him know if I wanted more. We dined in every dining room and didn't have any complaints. The crepes and omelets at the poolside buffet were also excellent. The pizza and hamburgers at the San Marco Piazza were very good, except for once when the pizza had been sitting in the oven for a bit. I will try to post the menus this week along with my review.

The crew and staff were among the friendliest and most helpful that we've ever encountered. We weren't sure what to expect of the ship since she is older and smaller, but it was a fantastic cruise and Bermuda is still just as beautiful as ever.

Jackie

Just back from the Majesty and we found the food was very good. Last week they started adding more things to each menu. The concierge gave us copies of the menus from the previous week, and told us to expect new dishes added to it each night.

This is great to hear:D Perhaps the new management is doing a better job:)

I feel that if we all get complacent about the decline then there will be no change. It looks like now they are listening.

Ciao,

Christine

Christine, I too hope you enjoy your cruise on the Sun. As for the food, of course it is very subjective; you will find some very good, some not to your liking. I try to give this example to clients if they are relatively new cruisers: if you do like Outback, Macaroni Grill, and those types of chains you will be very satisfied; if you are from places like NYCity, Chic, Dallas, San Francisco or even Vegas and are accustom to eating at the upscale reataurants you may be disappointed. Go and enjoy all that cruising and Alaska has to offer. NMnita

This is great to hear:D Perhaps the new management is doing a better job:)

I feel that if we all get complacent about the decline then there will be no change. It looks like now they are listening.

It sure seemed like they've been listening to me. I was a bit worried by reading all of the negatives, but I can't see how you couldn't find ANYTHING that you liked for food. We found many things to choose from and liked almost everything we chose.

We enjoyed LeBistro as usual (the mushroom soup in the sourdough bread bowl is fantastic). I told my DH that I could have just had two of them for my dinner. The Pasta Cafe was very good, and the main dining rooms were also. We had jerk pork loin at the poolside one night and it was very tasty and very tender. I hope this is fleetwide, since consistency is important to many.

Jackie

Cecilia, a few officers on the Dawn told us that they DO read the CC threads. So while we provide feedback to others, we're also getting our message across to them.
Yes, I've read many times that people say the staff say they read these boards. I've talked to the staff myself and been told they read. But this still isn't NCL's official message board so if you have something to say to NCL, it should be sent to them. Sharing an opinion here is what we do. That doesn't mean anyone at NCL will ever read it or care. The fastest way to get feedback to NCL is to send it to NCL directly. That's all I'm saying.

Nita,

Usually, I agree with you on just about everything but on this one, I just can't. First, I wouldn't consider us just 'meat and potato' eaters. I like unusual sauce.:) Second, we actually commented that the serving sizes have actually increased. They are not Cheesecake Factory size but they are getting there. It seems NCL exchanged quality for quantity.

When the 'pay' restuarants were first introduced, many people commented that why should they pay when the food in the main dining rooms is so good. Obviously, Colin and other cruiseline CEO's have heard these comments. They have successfully stratified the dining experience.

I'm not a negative person and it pains me to criticize NCL. The last place a cruiseline should cut corners is with the food. The masses are willing to overlook a lot 'cost cutting' in other areas if their bellies are full.

-Matt

Matt, I know you don't criticize NCL but I still think the serving sizes have gone down from years ago. I also think you are right about the specialty restaurants; in fact our first experience was on the Seaward (about 8 or more years ago) we did eat in Le Bistro and didn't really see much difference in the food; the menu was almost identical. Times have changed, prices have stayed pretty steady and that is why, I think, qualtiy has gone down some. I am not saying by anymeans food is the same as years ago: it certainly is not, but I think there are many reasons for this. What I am also saying is, though the quality isn't what it was, it certainly isn't awful, terrible, uneatable, discusting, etc as some say. Or, at least I don't think so. My first few cruises I would come home, let anyone who would listen to me know how good the food was and the service. I think that is what we cruised for; now, it is probably one of the last things I talk about.

When I read your views on food, Seahores', Utes or a few others I really do believe you were not looking for a bad experience nor were you attempting to blast NCL but so many of those who tear apart the food, find their entire experience horrible. Call it NCL loyalist or just a more relaxed attitude, maybe I am easier to please or don't expect as much as some do, I don't know, but I still don't think the food falls into the catagory some do. LOL NMNita

And how awful if they left pulp in the orange juice. Sorry, your complaint is silly, in my book.

Well the only place pulp is left in the orange juice is in the main dining room. In Raffles oj and cranberry juices are watered down. I'd say their rating is a -1.

Cecilia,

Your baby has grown so much and is still beautiful. I enjoy the pics and watching him grow.

On topic... They sure do read them, our CD was on our roll call and answered questions that people had regarding the entertainment and such.

Jackie

Christine, I too hope you enjoy your cruise on the Sun. As for the food, of course it is very subjective; you will find some very good, some not to your liking. I try to give this example to clients if they are relatively new cruisers: if you do like Outback, Macaroni Grill, and those types of chains you will be very satisfied; if you are from places like NYCity, Chic, Dallas, San Francisco or even Vegas and are accustom to eating at the upscale reataurants you may be disappointed. Go and enjoy all that cruising and Alaska has to offer. NMnita

Sorry, NewMexico Nita, but the meal that we had at the Pasta Cafe (gnocchi with bolognese sauce) doesn't even come close to the "Macaroni Grille". Nor did the prime rib that was served in the main dining room come close to the "Outback Steak House". I do not normally hold chain restaurants up as the perfect barometer with which to judge all cuisine, but I only used that type of restaurant (chains) for some type of comparison, since most people are familiar with those type of restaurants. In fact, I would more closely match the quality of the food that is served on NCL as more like the type of food that would be served at "Boston Market." Although expecting 4 or 5 star dining may be unrealistic, surely passengers should be able to expect more quality for their dollar than that.

I totally agree with you that it is the "total" cruise experience that is important. However, be that as it may, food does and will continue to remain an important component of that experience for most passengers.

I am a very picky eater but I have to say I totally disagree with the OP. I just returned from the Spirit and we all raved about the food. Honestly, I did not find the specialty restaurants to be any better quality than what I had in Windows. The prime rib, lobster and filet that I had in Windows was wonderful. I also want to mention that my husband and I do eat out quite often, although not in 5* restaurants, we are not new to good dining. I don't know maybe I'm just not as "picky" as I thought I was.

I am a very picky eater but I have to say I totally disagree with the OP. I just returned from the Spirit and we all raved about the food. Honestly, I did not find the specialty restaurants to be any better quality than what I had in Windows. The prime rib, lobster and filet that I had in Windows was wonderful. I also want to mention that my husband and I do eat out quite often, although not in 5* restaurants, we are not new to good dining. I don't know maybe I'm just not as "picky" as I thought I was.

No, you may be quite right, Glamourgal. It may be just that NCL's food is not consistent across the board with all of their ships. We cruised on the Crown, and therefore may have had a completely different dining experience than you did on the Spirit. :)

It sure seemed like they've been listening to me.Jackie

OK Jackie, you've set yourself up for this but if I am unhappy w/the food on the Sun in Sept, I now know who to blame ;)

-Monte

When I read your views on food, Seahores', Utes or a few others I really do believe you were not looking for a bad experience nor were you attempting to blast NCL but so many of those who tear apart the food, find their entire experience horrible. Call it NCL loyalist or just a more relaxed attitude, maybe I am easier to please or don't expect as much as some do, I don't know, but I still don't think the food falls into the catagory some do. LOL NMNita

Hey, Nita -- leave me out of this one! :D I haven't complained about the food at all, except after hearing that the cold soups have been eliminated from the dinner menu. We haven't cruised in a year, and I know the menus have changed since then, but have been trying to keep my mouth shut (fingers quiet???) since I don't have any personal experience. We did have friends who weren't satisfied with the food on the Dream in January, but the next week had co-workers on the same ship who thought it was great.

I'm sure I'll have more to say about this after our cruise on the Jewel in November, but reading the comments about the additions to the menu is making me hope that it will all solved before we cruise.

OK Jackie, you've set yourself up for this but if I am unhappy w/the food on the Sun in Sept, I now know who to blame ;)

-Monte

Hi Monte,

I didn't mean to type that they were listening to me, just that they were listening. :o The food on the Majesty really was very good. Lobster tails the same in the Seven Seas as in LeBistro.

You can still blame me though... :D

Jackie

Hey, Nita -- leave me out of this one! :D I haven't complained about the food at all, except after hearing that the cold soups have been eliminated from the dinner menu. We haven't cruised in a year, and I know the menus have changed since then, but have been trying to keep my mouth shut (fingers quiet???) since I don't have any personal experience. We did have friends who weren't satisfied with the food on the Dream in January, but the next week had co-workers on the same ship who thought it was great.

I'm sure I'll have more to say about this after our cruise on the Jewel in November, but reading the comments about the additions to the menu is making me hope that it will all solved before we cruise.

no you haven't but I remembered you mentioning your friends. I guess while you are on the Jewel we will be on HAL trying to decide who has the best or worst food. At least we are going after football season so DH can't complain about missing any games. LOl ghe ethe

The food in the regular restaurants was disappointing to us on our cruise as well, but it didn't ruin our cruise. Actually, I'm rather grateful I didn't gain the dreaded "cruise weight" ;) Everything looked very nice, but for some reason seemed to lack taste. We did however enjoy the food in the specialty restaurants.

Nita -- I saw your posting on the HAL board and was going to give you a hard time about defecting ;) . We actually do miss a home game, unfortunately. Guess the kids will have to use the tickets that day. We'll be gone 2 Saturdays, but one of them is a "bye".

You'll have to let everybody know how you like the HAL cruise when you get back.

Archived