• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

drinks on Oceania

chazaroo

Ok so from what I've read drinks are expensive and the service charge/tip is automatically added to the bill. Same as Celebrity. So how much are the drinks? Do I need to get a second morgage before ordering at the bar? Or maybe I could sell off some of our furniture...

I did not drink at the bar, as we had wine in our cabin. That saved a considerable amount. At dinner I would order a glass a wine, small at that, and the cheapest white wine was $6.75. Plus the 18%.

Celebrity was not nearly that high.

I had read on another post that wine by the glass was a "large" glass of very nice wine for about $8.00

Of course I guess it depends on the size of "small" and "large" which can varry in everyone's mind.

I really do like to have a glass of wine with my meals. :D

We were on the Oceania inaugural cruise and if memory serves me right, drinks were about $10.00 each. I thought that was extremely high and their defense was that it's the same price as in a classy bar in a city like NY, LA or Miami. Personally, I don't agree with the logic and it only caused us to buy less drinks.

We were on the Grand Princess last week and drinks were about $5. each. We had no problems with that and Princess made a lot more from our bar tab than Oceania did. Princess even offers a drink of the day daily, that was about $1.50 less than the usual price.

I don't recall the price of wine by the glass on Princess, but it was extremely reasonable. We chose to order bottles (again, very fairly priced) and keep anything not consumed for the next evening.

Welcome back Jane dahlink!

Tell all about the cruise and Zurich dining ;-)

I think by the glass wine was either $6.50 or $9.50 ( perhaps it depended on what was ordered..)

I know Martinis in Martini bar were the latter price..

YIKES!! OK I stand corrected $10.00 is way outta line for drinks at the bar. I don't recall exactly what we paid on Celebrity but I think Merriem is right. It was around $6.75. And I don't remember if that was after the automatic service charge or not. Come to think of it I don't remember much about it at all. Perhaps I spent too much time in the bar?

I've read boards about Oceania since April, as I booked a trip on Insignia (08/17/04). In April I believed I did a great deal booking Oceania.

Although I know that beverage is quite expensive on American ships I couldn't imagine how expensive it is. A glass of wine for $6.00 - $10.00? Is Oceania going the same way as many other lines? Low fares for the trip and entering the ship you are fleeced?

I am really afraid of the beverage prices on board.

Please, get me right. I don't want to look at eache penny, but I am not willing to pay these exaggerated prices.

"We were on the Oceania inaugural cruise and if memory serves me right, drinks were about $10.00 each. I thought that was extremely high and their defense was that it's the same price as in a classy bar in a city like NY, LA or Miami. Personally, I don't agree with the logic and it only caused us to buy less drinks."

A month ago I paid 19 Euros for one vodka tonic in Venice and have paid as much as $14.00 for one martini here in San Francisco. I usually find alcohol prices to be cheaper on cruise ships than at land resorts or fine restaurants.

Right. paid $42.00 for 3 cokes and a couple sandwiches ( of course we were at FLORIANS in St. Marks' a month ago.. so as it was written "That is the rub"

"a la grand vie"

P.S. could have walked around the block behind St. Marks and had the same for about 10 EU total.. but would we have anything to talk about a month later?

NAH

;-)

I can't believe the comments by people complaining about $8.00 glasses of wine. Anyone who has been to a first class restaurant knows that a glass of wine a nice "house wine" is going to cost from $7.50 to $10.00 plus tip. Go to a four or five star hotel and order their house wine which might in fact be La Crema and you'll see what I'm writing about. My own thinking is that those of you out there who are griping about the $8.00 to $10.00 charge should wander back to the Olive Garden where incidently they serve nice decent food for nice decent price and drink their house wine at $5.75. Don't bother cruising Oceania and don't continually embarass yourselves on this forum by griping about wine.

Their drink prices are not in line with other cruise ships. At the Ritz Carlton in South Beach we paid $12 for a martini. A fine restaurant and a ship are not the same.

Most all cruises that we have been on offer reasonably priced drinks. IE a martini for $5-6.

You are not comparing two equal things. Also, this cruise line is not a Ritz Carlton.

Their drink prices are not in line with other cruise ships. At the Ritz Carlton in South Beach we paid $12 for a martini. A fine restaurant and a ship are not the same.

Most all cruises that we have been on offer reasonably priced drinks. IE a martini for $5-6.

You are not comparing two equal things. Also, this cruise line is not a Ritz Carlton.

I can assure you that you pay much more for a martini in a top restaurant in Los Angeles, San Francisco,or NYC. I still say drinks are cheaper on cruise ships than places I frequent.

Geez, Didn't mean to start all this. I just wanted to know how much drinks are. And I'm still not sure I know. But if it is $10.00, that seems high by cruise ship standards. As for all the comparisons to Ritz... kind of absurd.

Oceania, as nice as I'm sure it is, isn't a Ritz Carlton. And as for the comments of mpslaw, a special message: Calm down, there's no need to be rude.

Well, this really dates me, but just a few years ago and having taken many, many cruises, I used to pay less than a dollar for a Pina Colada, and .75 for a bourbon and water. Remember folks, there are no taxes on liquor at sea, and that is what raises the cost of liquor at home. Most people don't know that.

The cruise lines have decided to equate themselves with the "upscale" restaurants to be able to charge the very high prices. Even my Country Club doesn't charge these rates on their drinks.

But what can I say. Look at the prices they are charging you for sailing--peanuts for what they are giving you--so they are making it up on the liquor, etc. etc.

Just figure you are going on a vacation, plan the costs as you would on land, and you will have your total.

MPSLAW,

Forgive me.. as I think we have discussed other things before.. but ...............for the life of me

I don't know why you keep comparing Oceania to Olive Garden Restaurant..you keep saying that you usually pay some price for a glass of wine at such and such a great restaurant and you are okay with that.. hey, I am okay with whatever you pay too.. I have just stated my feelings about a 10 buck "glass" of wine..

a 20 buck corkage.

on this ship..

what I pay at a restaurant in SF or LA or Zurich is another matter.. we are talkin' about ships.. on Silverseas, Seabourn and ummm

Radisson I never paid for wine.. oh oops I forgot it was included

I don't understand what you are trying to convey here.. that we are all cheapin' out..sorry not .

p.s.

never been to Olive Garden, so I guess since you have - u win

Just back from Insignia and can quote actual prices.

Regular small martini: $6.50 plus 18% = $7.60

Larger premium liquor martini $8.50 plus 18% = $10.03

Most premium liquor was $6.50 plus 18% (Johnny Walker Black)

Glasses of wine varied from dining room to dining room. The prices were the same ($6.50 - $11.00) but the glass sizes were different. Smallest wine glasses are in the Grand Dining Room. Largest were in the Polo Grill.

This is not a deluxe cruise line or ship. They overcharge for the drinks and for the shore excursions. Internet costs were 50% more per minute than on Holland America in Europe. Go figure.

People should complain to Oceania directly. Perhaps someone there will listen and make a change- could there be success if enough people boycott????? All it takes is a little time. No one wants to be nickeled and dimed, especially on vacation-.

• 4 months later...

We have just returned from cruising the Atlantic on Insignia. It was divine! I must say we found drink prices to be much as we would expect from a good hotel . Soft drinks ranged from $4.50 for virgin cocktails to $2.50 for mineral water (plus service). I don't drink but my husband does and he found it a good idea to have a tipple in the room befor dinner. It didn't seem the type of company in which to drink all that much in any case.

Archived