flash854

Freedom - Too big for it's britches?

Just got off of Freedom and it's third week.

The ship is visually stunning with more activities scheduled that a person could possibly take in.

The shows are incredible - the ice show is a must with rave reviews from anyone who has seen it. Cast members in all of the shows give their heart and soul in their performances.

Personal attention? Customer service? Don't go there...

Although the ship is in it's first month - the crew members aren't. The vast majority has worked for RC on other ships. But you'll find that many of them act as if this were their first job out of high school.

Should you happen to have any issues with your reservation in terms of pre-purchased items (e.g. wine package) expecting them to be handled expediently. Repsonse from customer relations feels more like "we're the largest ship in the world... and you are????. Watch your room card too. When I discovered that I didn't have it after a visit to the customer service counter, they said I must have misplaced it. On the last day of the cruise, the same individual says "Oh, I had your card all along." Think maybe he might have called to let me know? NAH!!!

You booked dinner for second seating at a large table so that you can meet new people? How about a table for 4 in a hallway outside of the kitchen instead.

You want a formal night w/ your fellow shipmates? How about if we give you a group w/ folks in t-shirts and shorts w/ baseball caps? Never mind the dress code... come as you are.

Captain's party? Think maybe you might get a chance to meet the captain and other officers? C'mon!!! They drop from the ceiling while you drink your glass of champagne then disappear right before your eyes. While you and your fellow 3500 passengers stand below in the mall looking overhead. Up close and personal, wouldn't you say?

Personal attention? Huh? Want your ice bucket filled? Say what???? And if you do get it, don't expect more than say, 10-12 cubes. Remember, we've got a lot of passengers. And you better make that bar of soap in your bathroom last. Don't even THINK of asking for hair conditioner.

Expect you have your luggage tags for disembarking to be in your room when packing? Take a walk down to the other end of the ship (1100 feet) and get them at the customer service desk.

"Get out there!" is RC's current marketing slogan. Can't help but feelling it's more like "Get out of here."

Yes, it's better than Carnival. But is that what you are spending all this money on? Give me NCL anytime.

Sorry it sucked for you. This seems to be a preety common complaint so far about Freedom. I am just hoping that the crew gets in shape by the time we sail on Oct. 1. Maybe too much to ask for? But one can hope. I hate being seated right outside a kitchen in any restaurant....especially one that is trying to serve thousands of people at one time. I feel for you. Shorts and t-shirts in the dining room? What are ya gonna do. It is more common place these days and I just choose not to let it ruin my experience. I have never been one that really cared what other people wear. It makes for better people watching. Did the short wearing people at least have nice legs to look at? lol. Just kidding. Again, sorry you had a bad time. Enjoy your next cruise whatever you decide to do.

Flash, it sounds like your cruise did not live up to your expectations, but those expectations seem out of whack to me.

Just got off of Freedom and it's third week.

The ship is visually stunning with more activities scheduled that a person could possibly take in.

The shows are incredible - the ice show is a must with rave reviews from anyone who has seen it. Cast members in all of the shows give their heart and soul in their performances.

Although the ship is in it's first month - the crew members aren't. The vast majority has worked for RC on other ships. But you'll find that many of them act as if this were their first job out of high school.

Should you happen to have any issues with your reservation in terms of pre-purchased items (e.g. wine package) expecting them to be handled expediently. Repsonse from customer relations feels more like "we're the largest ship in the world... and you are????.

Others have reported this problem on other ships. Sometimes the shore-based departments and the ship-based departments do not communicate and coordinate effectively. I'm sorry that you experienced this problem. It would not be good to be missing your wine. :) Did you get it straightened out?
Watch your room card too. When I discovered that I didn't have it after a visit to the customer service counter, they said I must have misplaced it. On the last day of the cruise, the same individual says "Oh, I had your card all along." Think maybe he might have called to let me know? NAH!!!
Well, you MIGHT have misplaced it. It happens. Chances are that S/HE didn't notice that it was sitting there, either.

You booked dinner for second seating at a large table so that you can meet new people? How about a table for 4 in a hallway outside of the kitchen instead.
Seating requests are just that: requests. Unfortunately, there's a table there and SOMEONE'S got to sit at it.

You want a formal night w/ your fellow shipmates? How about if we give you a group w/ folks in t-shirts and shorts w/ baseball caps? Never mind the dress code... come as you are.
And how is Royal Caribbean responsible for the values and tastes of its passengers?!?!?!?!??!

Captain's party? Think maybe you might get a chance to meet the captain and other officers? C'mon!!! They drop from the ceiling while you drink your glass of champagne then disappear right before your eyes. While you and your fellow 3500 passengers stand below in the mall looking overhead. Up close and personal, wouldn't you say?
C'mon, were you really thinking that he would personally shake the hand of 3800 people?!?!?!?!?

Personal attention? Huh? Want your ice bucket filled? Say what???? And if you do get it, don't expect more than say, 10-12 cubes.
I have never had a problem getting as much ice as I wanted. Did you ask for more? Did you call room service for ice?
Remember, we've got a lot of passengers. And you better make that bar of soap in your bathroom last. Don't even THINK of asking for hair conditioner.
Royal Caribbean does not put shampoo or conditioner in the standard cabins; they get a dispenser in the shower that puts out a goo that is shampoo, conditioner and, if you wish, body soap. This information is available on RC's website, from your TA, and on this board, if you had found it BEFORE your cruise.

By the way, Welcome To Cruise Critic. ;)

Expect you have your luggage tags for disembarking to be in your room when packing? Take a walk down to the other end of the ship (1100 feet) and get them at the customer service desk.
Did you ask your cabin steward for them when you noticed that they weren't there? Did you call housekeeping? Was there a reason that you weren't venturing out of your cabin between noon and midnight?

"Get out there!" is RC's current marketing slogan. Can't help but feelling it's more like "Get out of here."

Yes, it's better than Carnival. But is that what you are spending all this money on? Give me NCL anytime.

Enjoy your next cruise on Norwegian. (which is entirely casual/personal choice/formal utterly optional, isn't it? )

I was on Freedom 6/4 and came away disappointed. The ship is beautiful, has an abundance of activities and wonderful shows. I was even impressed with the way I wasn't worn out after runnning around the ship since it had a good passenger flow. My disappointment was from the staff and planning.

There were no inaugural memorabilia available in the stores. They didn't have any ship models. When I ordered one they even charged to mail it to me. I haven't received it yet and wonder if they have had any on later sailings (please advise!) The one t-shirt that said Freedom on it had another ship on it. When we left Miami there wasn't the expected celebration either.

On a more serious note the crew seemed to be new at their jobs. Making a long story short - my father needed an ice pack and someone to assist him up to the sofa. When I called the purser at 8:30 AM they said the medical office was not open until 9:00. I called back (everytime you call you can get a different answer) and was given the emergency oncall nurse. When I called her she was unavailable. I waited over 45 minutes. Sure, I guess I could make a case out of it but I really am just disgusted with the lack of service and poor attitude especially from the purser's desk. Last but not least I was overcharged for two items. When I received my bill I tried to get it all straightened out. After waiting for 45 minutes for someone to look things up I ended up having to leave the ship and hope to handle the problem back on land. That will take at least three weeks.

I don't think all the activities and special decor and design can make up for prompt, courteous service. I am really disappointed since you can't re-do the inaugural sailing. I don't think I'll do another one.

Food for thought:

Maybe the problem is that all of the new builds are getting to big and the staff to passenger ratio is getting to large. While all of the amenities are nice soon these mega liners are going to have no place to go because the destinations cannot handle them.

Nice first post ;) !!!

Sorry if sucked for you. I'll be happy to follow-up on these items to make sure you were right:)

Jay

Just my opinion but I think the second post by Merion was not very friendly. I will chose to give her the benefit of the doubt that it didn't contain as much "tone" as how it read.

In reality everyone assumes bigger is better - but you have to remember more passengers means more issues. Anytime you build something "mega" it takes awhile to perfect service and issues. Football teams can take seasons to "gel" together and function as one and crew from all over the world, pulled from various ships, working on a new mega ship with high expectations doesn't happen overnight.

Fortunately from the post I read none of the issues mentioned were uber critical. Annoying and frustrating yes, and I hope RCI manages to resolve them before the Freedom's reputation is solidified. However, even with poor levels of service I can't imagine not enjoying a wonderful, well deserved vacation that visits cool ports of call.

I wonder if they didn't swap out the entire crew over the past three weeks. :)

The only place I found service to be iffy, was the DR. And there was nothing concrete to complain about. The waitstaff was friendly and attentive, just not WOW, as is generally the case on RCI. A new CC friend kindly pointed out to me that it may take some time to get their rhythm, and I agreed.

There was an occassion in which my card ceased working to open my door. A very quick trip to a very curteous customer relations desk, and I had a new card.

We never got the card in which you fill out your flight times (so they can issue the proper tags). Pink tags were just automatically delivered. These would have been way too late for us, so I found the cabin steward (right there in the hall, where he always seemed to be), and he got us new (I think yellow) tags. We ultimately decided to walk our own luggage off, but this wasn't resulting from crumby service.

I do think that there were some spotty service issues (like never getting the tip form or the departure form), but we just went with the flow...understanding that this was the first week in which they had to handle these sorts of things.

Guess we all operate from different perspectives. I thought it was a totally fantastic week, and am willing to cut a break on what were, for me, VERY small glitches.

T

Different strokes for different folks. I've had less than happy table placements but after reading this board I've come to pretty much guess that return cruisers, esp. Diamond, are going to get better tables. I really don't expect that I as someone who has only cruised RCI 3 times, can expect to get a table near the Captain. Those are the breaks.

Will someone please explain to me how is it RCI's fault if people choose to dress inappropriately for dinner in the main dining room??

As far as the cabin service issues, again depends on the luck of the draw. On RCI I've had great cabin attendants and sadly, we had one cabin attendant who left a wet towel on our bed, who got angry because we weren't out of our room when he came to clean in the morning!!, I could go on but I won't. If I really felt strongly about it, I would have had a different cabin attendant, trust me. Let's just say that attendant was memorialized by name on our comment card. The best ship in the world is going to have at least one employee with a bad attitude, including the Freedom. How fair is it to bash service on an inaugural sailing? I'm sure Freedom will ramp up after smoothing out kinks. After reading this board one thing I am now wary of is inaugural cruises.

I once thought I'd lost my Sea Pass card and was given a replacement card immediately.

You can review your Sea Pass account almost by purchase. I monitored my account frequently from the comfort of my cabin to avoid any surprises. In fact I discovered I had been erroneously charged for a child soda card and it was corrected right at the Guest Relations desk, no problem. So I don't understand any surprises to Sea Pass accounts at the end of the cruise. Monitor your account regularly, handle mistakes immediately, equals no surprises at the end of the cruise.

I've read alot of reviews on this board and while I'm not looking for reviews only from an amen chorus, I tend to put more stock in those that have attempted a balance of pros and cons. This review began negative and mentioned some things that could happen on any cruise line. It sounds suspiciously to me like someone who prefers another cruise line, who prefers a smaller ship and who was pretty much set against Freedom because of its size and the hype surrounding it, and/or a drive-by troll.

I don't like smaller ships, I sailed Jewel and it's not my favorite because I think it's too small, but that's my issue. I won't sail Carnival, but I would never go on their board with my bias, but that's just me.

Tracy, my thoughts exactly. While the DR service was friendly, it did not knock my socks off. I have had better DR service on other RCI ships. but it was nothing to complain about, I thought.

The service we received from every other crew member we had the pleasure of interacting with was nothing short of excellent. Very friendly, very accomodating. Zee and Manny at Bolero's were superb. Our stateroom attendant was friendly and accomodating. I definiitely made note of service, expecting that there could be some glitches, but we were very pleasantly surprised.

Sorry Flash854... could not disagree with you more! We just returned from the 3rd week cruise and had a GREAT cruise. Service was excellent...food was wonderful....music great. We had an absolute perfect vacation. There are always going to be some problems...but nothing that left me with a bad taste! I came home rejuvenated and perfectly pleased.

We loved the big ship and felt that the crew handled it extremely well. This was the captains first week. We met him and he was very friendly.

My DH and I had a wonderful time and wished we could have stayed at least another week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the OP first post so maybe they aren't up to speed with what a full review is? giving both pros and cons. :p I'm sure there had to be good aspects to the cruise too. Good comes with bad. There can't be bad without good. :) The OP didn't post enough good details. They should have had a balace of good and bad.

Krystle, Believe me...you will have a wonderful time. I wish I was going again on July 9th!!! LOL :)

Thanks to all that have posted how great, restful, fun, friendly, helpful, wonderful etc....time they had on FOS it's sooooo tiring listening to the posters that say "The ship is beautiful.....BUT" and after 5 or more paragraphs ends up being about temporary annoyances at most. Things that unfortunately happen everywhere. I realize we've spent a lot of $$ for this trip, but please keep in mind that you are still dealing w/human beings and not robots...

Please always report the big significant problems, but try not to "sweat the small stuff", it will make your vacation more memborable.

I'll be on my way to Miami(6/29) for a 3 day stay before leaving on what I pray to be a safe, fantastic vacation:) and to all out there waiting for their "triptickers" to finally count down...I truly hope you all have the best cruise that you and your family can make it......:D

Cheers!!

Libertybelle41, You will have a wonderful time and yes...all the staff are human...and they work EXTREMELY hard. My DH and I were thrilled with this cruise.

Carol - I loved your post. Come visit more when you're done with Princess. :)

Just remember, folks, that the people who complain like this are usually the people who have a few bad experiences and it outweighs all the good. They have been blinded by the bad so that is all they can see. I am sure there WAS a lot of wonderful things about their cruise, but most of the time all I see are people who only complain about the bad. That is the way much of our society has become.

Tracy, I know exactly why you did not have bad service. Because you have a GREAT attitude and were not looking for it either way. And with your personality, the crew was bound to love you (and all your pink boa friends) and give you great service. Sometimes we get back what we give out. My crew and I decided that we will have great service as well, cause we are going to have so much fun and go with a such a great attitude, that the crew will love us!

Will someone please explain to me how is it RCI's fault if people choose to dress inappropriately for dinner in the main dining room??

Easy...just enforce your own posted dress code.

Easy...just enforce your own posted dress code.

They can't enforce it when it says "recommended". Recommended does not make it enforcable. Requested does, but they choose to only recommend one to you. Therefore, they will not enforce it.

I tell you what I find fantastic about this thread, and I guess it is all a matter of perspective. I have been on four Carnival ships and have had a great time on each one. We loved the ships, the food, the entertainment and everything about them. And, I am 53 years old. Have not always agreed that Carnival is only for young wild and crazys. We have also sailed with Celebrity. I have yet to sail on a RCCI ship. What gives me hope for a great cruise we have planned on the Freedom next March is everyone that says even with the problems it is better than Carnival. So the way I look at it is if I don't have a problem with Carnival and the Freedom of The Seas is better than Carnival, I am going to have a fabulous time. Again, I guess it is all a matter of your perspective and expectations. I have never owned or driven a Rolls Royce, so if I ever do and it is not operating perfectly I won't know it. I will just love riding in a Rolls Royce.

The cruiselind CAN enforce dresscodes--isn't there a maitre de waiting to greet diners, and seat them? hmmm, maybe they can tell the less than appropriately dressed guests to go change (gently) into something more acceptable. My kids (youngest is 10) know that when we go out to a nice restaurant, they need to get dressed up. (even a pair of Khakis with a button down dress shirt looks nice) I just don't understand people. I wouldn't let it ruin my night, but it seems like the OP was faced with many small issues, which over the course of a week can add up to make you crazy!

Denise

The cruiselind CAN enforce dresscodes--isn't there a maitre de waiting to greet diners, and seat them? hmmm, maybe they can tell the less than appropriately dressed guests to go change (gently) into something more acceptable. My kids (youngest is 10) know that when we go out to a nice restaurant, they need to get dressed up. (even a pair of Khakis with a button down dress shirt looks nice) I just don't understand people. I wouldn't let it ruin my night, but it seems like the OP was faced with many small issues, which over the course of a week can add up to make you crazy!

Denise

I agree with you, and I think they should enfore the no shorts rule a little better (or at all) because I think that is actually a RULE! But for the rest of it, they just recommend it and until they request it they will not enforce it. I love the casual atmosphere of dining in places like Hawaii where you can wear shorts to dinner ANYWHERE, even the nicest restaurants. But on a cruise, that is not what I signed up for and will try to respect the guidlines set forth. Don't get me wrong though. I still don't care what others do...never have. I do what I do for myself and no one else. And I never let anyone else bother me.

First of all I think Flashes post was great and the new Royal Slogan is the best. I don't understand why when a new cruise ship is set out do they put a crew out there that has never done this before. Why wouldn't they put the best that they have on their other ships and slowly rotate the newer in? This is always a problem when a new ship is introduced, ya think they would learn something. AND I am glad that there are people posting what went wrong on their cruises this way the cruise companies can get it right the next time.

Second is SAILYACRUISE, what do you mean how can Royal enforce what people wear to the dining room, turn them away and say change and come back or go to the buffet. People act like they didn't know that certain things aren't okay for the dining room mean while they have been asking the same questions day after day about shorts, flip flops and tee shirts.

I've been on Princess, NCL, CCL & Royal and to be honest Royal didn't turn out to be the Rolls Royce I was told it was so people chill out, you spend good money for vacations and they should turn out to be what these cruise companies advertise what you are expecting to get. Clean rooms, great service in the dining room, friendly staff members & a bucket of ice everyday. I shouldn't have to venture out on my own to get color coded tags for my suit cases because someone forgot to put them in my cabin...how about "Oh I'm sorry but I forgot to put your tip in the envelope". And yes I have ventured out on past cruises to fetch my own tags that were forgotten without complaining about it not to mention other things too but lets not get on a poster for making fellow cruisers aware of what needs polishing up.

First of all I think Flashes post was great and the new Royal Slogan is the best. I don't understand why when a new cruise ship is set out do they put a crew out there that has never done this before. Why wouldn't they put the best that they have on their other ships and slowly rotate the newer in? This is always a problem when a new ship is introduced, ya think they would learn something. AND I am glad that there are people posting what went wrong on their cruises this way the cruise companies can get it right the next time.

They DO!!! They took experienced crew from other RCI ships for MOST of the crew positions. And many of them came from the Voyager Class ships so that they would be used to a large ship. Many have come away saying that the service was great, and many have not. I think it depends of your expectations. If you are looking for Ferarri performance in a Honda, you are not going to get it. Not that RCI is the Honda of cruiselines, but it is not the Ferrari or Rolls either. Lexus at best. lol. Strange analogy, I know!:D

I agree with ya, someone else on here posted that Royal was the Rolls and other people that talk about Royal like their dad's own stock in the company but that's another topic for claws to come out. I just think that it's good for people to voice the happenings of their cruises, good or bad.

I agree with ya, someone else on here posted that Royal was the Rolls and other people that talk about Royal like their dad's own stock in the company but that's another topic for claws to come out. I just think that it's good for people to voice the happenings of their cruises, good or bad.

I am glad someone agrees with me on these boards. lol. In reality, none of it really matters to me. As long as I am at sea, I don't care. I just love being on vacation and nothing can ruin it for me, short of the ship sinking.

When we went to Hawaii last year, I read sooooo many bad reviews of the Westin Maui. Once we got there, I thought to myself, 'how could anyone have a bad experience looking at the ocean everyday from your room, or just being in Hawaii alone?' I have stayed in much worse in Hawaii, and I had the best time of my life.

When I first started reading this board and had told people that this was my first cruise, everyone had basically the same advice, go with great anticipation and low expectations. We were on the 6/11 sailing of the Freedom and yes there were problems and errors, but great time and fantastic memories far outweigh any problems we encountered. I do know we paid a lot of money, but it is to be expected on something so new. I was determined to have a great time and shrug off the bad moments. I must admit I had the time of my life!!!! Already booked on the 11/04/07 Freedom sailing. So sorry OP had such a bad time.

Sometimes we get back what we give out. My crew and I decided that we will have great service as well, cause we are going to have so much fun and go with a such a great attitude, that the crew will love us!

Fitz,

You are a sweetheart, and I do put a lot of stock in this mindset. Generally, if you give a smile, you get one back...and then some!

T

Personal attention? Huh? Want your ice bucket filled? Say what???? And if you do get it, don't expect more than say, 10-12 cubes. Remember, we've got a lot of passengers. And you better make that bar of soap in your bathroom last. Don't even THINK of asking for hair conditioner.

I was on FOS for one of the preinaugurals. I agree she is visually stunning with tons of activities.

I would never expect much in the way of personal service on this size ship. I agree that the dining room staff left much to be desired.

Re formal nights, this is unfortunately typical of RCI these days. I disagree with Merion Mom that it is not RCI's place to keep the formal nights formal. They simply choose to allow extremely casual clothing in the dining rooms on all nights, which IME takes away from the evening. Since it apparent that many folks could care less, they either need to forget the whole thing and drop the dress code or enforce it, which they have already made clear they do not intend to do.

I think it is true that the Captain will not bother greeting this many guests and this is another consequence of the larger ships.

Two final comments:

I have cruised NCL and would never rate them high for service.

Yes, it is better than Carnival but getting closer all the time.

If you want service, try X, HAL or one of the luxury lines. That is where my cruising dollar is spent these days.

We were there the second week. Great dining room experience (we didn't like our table and had it changed before dinner the first night--and the bad table was not RCI's fault, but dear old hubby, who didn't request what we wanted in the first place). Great waiter and head.

Always had ice even though we never used it. Luggage tags waiting for us.

A few glitches as mentioned by me in earlier posts but in no way was I disappointed in the Freedom. AAMOF, don't know if I could ever sail a smaller ship now (except for voyager class which is almost the same thing).

I would do it again (with the same glitches) in a heartbeat!

PS--for those of you who like to have your pics taken before and after diinner, you should definitely visit the "Lifestyles" backdrop which is just a white backdrop. You take off your shoes and she does a few different cute poses. EVERY pic we took came out amazing (and we usually dont) and every pic that I saw on the racks looked great. People came in matching outfits and got great pics--for 20 bucks a shot its a good deal and looks very very professional.

Second is SAILYACRUISE, what do you mean how can Royal enforce what people wear to the dining room, turn them away and say change and come back or go to the buffet. People act like they didn't know that certain things aren't okay for the dining room mean while they have been asking the same questions day after day about shorts, flip flops and tee shirts.

It was a rhetorical question. I don't care if people come into main dining seating in naked in a barrel with suspenders, it's their business. My point is to indicate how ridiculous it is to criticize a cruise line for whatever people decide to wear. I always adhere to RCI's dress code as far as formal, casual, but I don't get bent if others don't. There could be a reason. I'm going with first-timers, and I have stressed to the husband that HE CANNOT WEAR SHORTS TO THE DINING ROOM, as it is poor form and is frowned upon by some. He asked me what if they were going by themselves and didn't know this? I replied that's why you all need me to go with you every time you all cruise. LOL I'm pretty laid back and understand that everything won't run smoothly, especially on a maiden voyage, and that you will always have rebels who want to wear what they want, rules be damned. I always get a quiet kick out of seeing folks dress counter to the rules. Must be quite liberating.

I was on Freedom 6/4 and came away disappointed. The ship is beautiful, has an abundance of activities and wonderful shows. I was even impressed with the way I wasn't worn out after runnning around the ship since it had a good passenger flow. My disappointment was from the staff and planning.

There were no inaugural memorabilia available in the stores. They didn't have any ship models. When I ordered one they even charged to mail it to me. I haven't received it yet and wonder if they have had any on later sailings (please advise!) The one t-shirt that said Freedom on it had another ship on it. When we left Miami there wasn't the expected celebration either.

On a more serious note the crew seemed to be new at their jobs. Making a long story short - my father needed an ice pack and someone to assist him up to the sofa. When I called the purser at 8:30 AM they said the medical office was not open until 9:00. I called back (everytime you call you can get a different answer) and was given the emergency oncall nurse. When I called her she was unavailable. I waited over 45 minutes. Sure, I guess I could make a case out of it but I really am just disgusted with the lack of service and poor attitude especially from the purser's desk. Last but not least I was overcharged for two items. When I received my bill I tried to get it all straightened out. After waiting for 45 minutes for someone to look things up I ended up having to leave the ship and hope to handle the problem back on land. That will take at least three weeks.

I don't think all the activities and special decor and design can make up for prompt, courteous service. I am really disappointed since you can't re-do the inaugural sailing. I don't think I'll do another one.

I just got back from the 6/18 cruise and they gift shop DID have the ships for sale for 25.00. However, I missed out as they only had 100 to sell! I was surprised as I purchased a Mariner ship on the last day w/ no problem. There were many of these Freedom ships on Thursday and by Friday was told they were sold out. They said there had been an announcement to buy them early as there were only 100 (w/ 4000 people onboard) but I never heard that announcement. Anyway, they also mentioned that we were lucky as the first cruise had no ships avail to purchase. I guess they weren't ready in time. Anyway, I suggest anyone going soon to buy them early in week IF you want one. We had a great cruise, great weather and will post something soon. Would definitely cruise the Freedom again! I plan to ask someone from CA to maybe get me a ship too!

Sometimes when I read threads on the RCL board, I get a feeling of deja vu - like the first time I saw the movie "Stepford Wives".

Keep low expectations! Are you people smoking, shooting or snorting? Why would I spend $4000 for a vacation with low expectations? Did you ever see this on an RCL ad - keep your expecations low, don't expect good food for 4000 people, service will not always be good, after all we are just human? Get out there!

Why should RCL enforce dress codes? Duh! Maybe because they list them in their ads and on the daily programs. It says Formal night. Does that conjure up a picture of people in shorts, jeans or Dockers to you? Of course they say suggested - because they want everyone's money. If they don't really want formal night, cancel the whole thing so everyone can show up like they just mowed the lawn.

By the way, does everyone realize how bad most people look in shorts? Do you rally want to look at this sight before, during or after dinner?

It was a rhetorical question. I don't care if people come into main dining seating in naked in a barrel with suspenders, it's their business. My point is to indicate how ridiculous it is to criticize a cruise line for whatever people decide to wear. I always adhere to RCI's dress code as far as formal, casual, but I don't get bent if others don't. There could be a reason. I'm going with first-timers, and I have stressed to the husband that HE CANNOT WEAR SHORTS TO THE DINING ROOM, as it is poor form and is frowned upon by some. He asked me what if they were going by themselves and didn't know this? I replied that's why you all need me to go with you every time you all cruise. LOL I'm pretty laid back and understand that everything won't run smoothly, especially on a maiden voyage, and that you will always have rebels who want to wear what they want, rules be damned. I always get a quiet kick out of seeing folks dress counter to the rules. Must be quite liberating.

Not a criticism, just wondering. Would you get a kick if say 75% of the people in the Dining Room on formal night were in shorts and jeans?

Not a criticism, just wondering. Would you get a kick if say 75% of the people in the Dining Room on formal night were in shorts and jeans?

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I am a clothes horse. I like very nice clothes and will certainly be dressed usually in a gown on formal nights and will be dressed more formally for dinner even on casual nights. I love gorgeous clothes. Again "that's just me." But because I was raised to be accepting of the person not the clothes, and I realize that many Americans seem to have a more relaxed attitude towards what constitutes "formal," I would have no problem with shorts in the dining room on formal night, although I'll still be in a gown. If I did, that's why they have stodgier lines. :p

By the way, does everyone realize how bad most people look in shorts? Do you rally want to look at this sight before, during or after dinner?

That's not very nice.:(

Actually, I think for the most part people look pretty good in shorts, not necessarily on formal nights, but we are in the caribbean for pete's sake, if ya don't wanna see legs, cruise to Alaska:)

and I realize that many Americans seem to have a more relaxed attitude towards what constitutes "formal," I would have no problem with shorts in the dining room on formal night,

Of all the things I have read on these boards....shorts as a form of "relaxed formal" is the most bizarre yet, no matter what side of the discussion one leans toward! LOL

T

Actually, I think for the most part people look pretty good in shorts, not necessarily on formal nights, but we are in the caribbean for pete's sake, if ya don't wanna see legs, cruise to Alaska:)

Two words - Cataract Surgery.