Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

augie

Diamond 6/12 Review (Part 7 of 11)

[b]Wednesday, June 16: Tracy Arm[/b]

We awoke to a strange sight today - the sun! We decided to brave the Horizon Court again for breakfast, and since we planned on being up and off the ship the next day before breakfast would be served we grabbed some cereal and milk to take back to stash in the room.

It was a beautiful day, clear, temperature in the mid 50s, and we spent the morning on the balcony, just watching the shoreline go by. We entered Tracy Arm around 9:45AM. We were watching a bald eagle through the binoculars, circling around and around, and when I took the binoculars away from my eyes I was surprised to see the eagle within about twenty feet of us - too late for me to get a shot of him with my camera. Luckily, Leslie was more on the ball!

The on board naturalist is on the bridge. I think his commentary may be broadcast over the speaker system, but I know that it is also on the web cam channel on the TV. This guy said a lot of things that were very interesting, but also some of the time it seemed like he was just talking to fill the time or to hype the "historical significance" of a ship the size of the diamond being in Tracy Arm.

At 10:00AM we met the Sapphire, which was at that time heading out of Tracy Arm - what a sight to see those two mammoth twins passing one another in the narrow confines of the fjord.

For the four and a half hours that we were in Tracy Arm all I did was say "wow" and take pictures! It was the most incredible array of fantastic sights that I've ever seen. Waterfalls, glaciers, icebergs, snow-capped peaks, one right after another! We couldn't have asked for better conditions for this day, and I never expected to leave Florida for Alaska and get a sunburned face!

That evening, before dinner, there was a huge whale watching party, at least on the balconies on our side of the ship! We saw a good number of humpback whales including one that breached five or six times in succession.

We had reservations for Sterling again that night, and our "next door neighbors", Barb and Mike, from Missouri, did as well so they put us at side by side tables. I couldn't resist the crab legs that were on the traditional menu that night so I added them to the sirloin from the Sterling menu to create a delicious surf and turf.

We decided to try and enter the blackjack tournament again. I was out after three hands, Leslie and Barb lasted five. Oh well! Leslie did a little better once again at the regular blackjack tables, and then we retired to the balcony. It was a clear night and if we could stay awake long enough for it to get good and dark we might be able to see the northern lights.
At midnight, since it was now our anniversary, we opened the bottle of champagne we had brought for the occasion. It was very tasty, but spelled the end of whatever chance we had to see the northern lights, at 12:30 we couldn't last any longer and went to bed.

(End of Part 7)

Link to Part 8: [url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=48304[/url]