Does Carnival offer any AARP discounts?

jordanaire

Your TA or PVP should have checked all rates and given you the lowest of all. We found that the past passenger rate was much lower than any other discount offered. They will not give you an additional discount for being an AARP member. Take the one with the lowest rate and have a great cruise!

Vidimom is right.I just went through that last week with my TA. I couldn't get all the discounts, over 55, AARP, or past passenger ... she told me PP was by far the best discount.

At one time, Carnival was listed in the AARP guide booklet. However, they are no longer on there, nor other cruiselines, at least in the last AARP booklet I rec'd.

Sometimes I get a senior discount; other times, I get a state of residency discount...but usually I just go with the past guest discount. Only one discount per passenger. Chat w/your booking agent for your best offer.

At one time, Carnival was listed in the AARP guide booklet. However, they are no longer on there, nor other cruiselines, at least in the last AARP booklet I rec'd.

Sometimes I get a senior discount; other times, I get a state of residency discount...but usually I just go with the past guest discount. Only one discount per passenger. Chat w/your booking agent for your best offer.

Cotton: I have a question. Why is there different charges based on what state you are from? What difference does it make what state you are from?

Thanks,

Robb

Various cruises on various ships are slated as having a senior discount ... I'm not sure there's always a pattern, though the "slow" season, ie hurrican season, has a higher percentage of discounted cabins. In the same fashion, some sailings are earmarked for residency discounts for various states. This is why many booking sites ask if you are over 55 AND what your state/zip code is.

I just looked in the Spring 2006 AARP Member Benefits Guide. Carnival is listed with "New!" beside it, along with several other cruise lines.

The website they give is www.aarp.org/cruises

I haven't checked it out yet, but am off to do it now!

Edited to add: Hmmmmmm. Carnival is not listed on the website. That's interesting.

Cotton: I have a question. Why is there different charges based on what state you are from? What difference does it make what state you are from?

Thanks,

Robb

Sometimes cruise lines will try to attract folks from states that their statistics say do not cruise as much as other states in the US. It is just a promotional discount from time to time. IE: if their stats say that they have not had any cruisers from Idaho in the past year....guess who gets the residency discount??? You guessed it...folks from Idaho.

Robb, :confused: I'm not quite sure I know why they choose certain states at different times of the year. I know that LOTS of Mississippians cruise often because of the ease of getting to ports, so I don't know why I was twice offered a MS state residency discount. I book through a Carnival PVP, and she said something like - 'Wait, let me see if there's a MS state residency discount going on right now....yes there is (or no, there's not).'

Carnival used to give an AARP discount but then AARP decided that if anyone wanted to use that discount they had to book it only through their travel agency. Carnival decided oh well we think not and now Carnival does NOT give an AARP discount period.

Sometimes cruise lines will try to attract folks from states that their statistics say do not cruise as much as other states in the US. It is just a promotional discount from time to time. IE: if their stats say that they have not had any cruisers from Idaho in the past year....guess who gets the residency discount??? You guessed it...folks from Idaho.

You may be right. As for past guests. I bet they also keep statistics on how much one spends on board. Maybe some couples from abc state on average spends more than a couple from xyz state. :)

We booked the "Over 55" discount on the Fantasy. Turned out it was a "5A Guarantee", less expensive than other outside staterooms, but no great discount considering it's the porthole category.

That was the only category that the "over 55" discount was available in. And not all sailings offer any "over 55" discount at all.

Guest YesitDonna

I was told that the residency discount was within a certain range of where the ship is leaving from. I got one for being from Mass leaving out of NY and last cruise my friend lives in Florida so we got one leaving from Tampa.

Archived