Divi Famingo Resort

ckornuta

Divi is about 200-300 yards from where the ship docks. I have some photos posted on the Internet and you can view Divi in one of them. The photo was taken from onboard the ship.

Go to: http://www.sunfield.smugmug.com/

Select Cruise 2006

Select Bonaire

There are only 6-8 photos in this gallery. One of them shows a dock in the water that has a small building on the end of it and the building has a red roof. That's Divi's dock. There isn't really a beach there, just the dock with steps that you can walk down into the water. We were scuba diving so we weren't concerned with a beach.

Look in the lower left hand corner of the picture and you'll see a small beach that is actually closer to the ship than Divi. I don't know who owns that beach or dock, but a lot of people were using it when we were there in February.

10X - did you book your scuba thru the ship or directly thru Divi? My husband wants to dive in Bonaire when we are there in January. Any info you can share would be most welcome!

I contacted Divi ahead of time and arranged everything. You must go through a orientation (5 minutes) and pay a $10 marine park fee, and I wanted to make sure that there would be someone there to do it. They took care of us and were waiting when we arrived. We then rented tanks and weights and went diving off their dock. The tank/weight rental is about $20 and it's for unlimited diving for the day. So for $30 we got in 2 dives. We had time for a third but my dive buddies wanted to go shopping a bit before the ship left so we quit.

The reef is about 25-30 yards off the dock and it is marked by a small row boat attached to a very large anchor on the bottom. The reef will drop down to about 100 feet. Our first dive took us down to 92' and second was limited to about 65'. There was so much to see that I don't think we ventured more than 50 yards either side of the anchor.

Because I was scuba diving I did not go to the beach, so I can't recommend or not recommend it. There were about 2-3 dozen people using it though.

While I was diving, my wife and a couple friends took at taxi to Airport Beach ($10 one way), where they snorkeled. The snorkeling was excellent and, according to my wife, some of the best she's seen in our 11 cruises.

They made arrangements with the cab driver to pick them up at an appointed time and he did so.

Go back to the web site and select "Bonaire Snorkeling" where you'll find some of the pictures she took, and one of them shows the beach in relationship to the Sea Princess.

Thank you for that information and mostly thank you for answering my post. :) Even though we haven't snorkled yet ... we intent to do so in Nevis and get our gear prior to that. Therefore we could bring it in at that Beach and try it out. ;)

If you want a snorkeling beach then I would recommend that you go to the Airport Beach. The reef near Divi Flamingo doesn't start until the water gets to be about 30 feet deep so there will be little to see in shallower water, other than broken coral and an occasional fish that might swim through.

• 3 weeks later...
If you want a snorkeling beach then I would recommend that you go to the Airport Beach. The reef near Divi Flamingo doesn't start until the water gets to be about 30 feet deep so there will be little to see in shallower water, other than broken coral and an occasional fish that might swim through.

Actually the Divi is nice for snorkeling. We have seen crabs, squid, and octopus in the shallowes there (15ft) Lots of fish near the docks

Bob

• 3 months later...

we were on Bonaire 11/29/06. We did not spend the day at Divi Flamingo however we walked through it on our way to Plaza Bonita. It looks like a nice place to spend the day but the beach area is very very small. So I would go there mostly for the snorkeling I suppose.

The beach at Plaza was nice! we paid a $20 day use fee (kids were free) and had use of the pool, beach and snorkeling was good.

We walked there only because we couldn't find a taxi and were told it was close. Weather was very hot. We took a taxi back ($2 pp). Unfortunately it was a mostly cloudy/rainy day so we didn't stay as long as we might have. Snorkeling was the best of any of the ports we visited.

dac

• 1 month later...

no you dont need your dive log we were just there. but of course, bring your dive card. I was planning on posting about Divi so I will just do it here. We were fairly dissapointed with Divi. I was straveling with 2 very experienced divers and 2 brand new divers. The staff was very unhelpful, and there was no orientation dive, even when we asked for one. We did the park dive, and a 2pm boat dive as well. The o-rings were corroded on the tanks, and we found the equipment fairly old. We experienced bitter divers who were staying at Divi (not on a boat) who were openly annoyed with cruisers being on the boat with them. This was because on the boat they mixed snorklers and divers, and the snorklers were all on the cruise ship. (I am not sure why this annoyed them, as the snorklers were in the water longer than some of the divers.) Anyways, because the staff was so hands off the entire experience, I would not go to Divi if you are a new or nervous diver..there is NO predive talk, and everyone just jumped in the water and left my group on the boat. Feel free to ask questions or disagree, this is simply the experience of my group of both experienced and unxperienced divers.

I did not do a boat dive with Divi but did do 2 shore dives off their dock. When we arrived we were taken care of quite well. I had all of my own gear, except for tanks and weights, and three others needed everything. The gear they received was in good shape they never complained about any of it. The full tanks were on the dock, as many as we needed. I did not find any problems with the o-rings nor did I find any corrosion. A member of the staff came out on the dock with us and showed us where everything was. He explained the reef with the above and underwater markers to us, along with the depth of the reef and what we might see.

We did not have to show a log book but we did have to show our C cards. No check-oout dive was required.

We did not have any problems whatsoever with Divi and we will be diving there again on 2/7/07.

Denny

We were actually thinking about diving from Divi's dock. I was at Divi 8 years ago and it seemed like there was really good diving right there. Not as good as the marine park, but still very good. You just checked in on the chalk board, hooked up you gear, and jumped in. The reef was very close by. From what 10x says, It appears to be pretty much the same. I think we will try this option. Much cheaper than the boat dive which may or may not be disappointing.

We were actually thinking about diving from Divi's dock. I was at Divi 8 years ago and it seemed like there was really good diving right there. Not as good as the marine park, but still very good. You just checked in on the chalk board, hooked up you gear, and jumped in. The reef was very close by. From what 10x says, It appears to be pretty much the same. I think we will try this option. Much cheaper than the boat dive which may or may not be disappointing.

If it fits into your schedule/plans/price I'd opt for a boat dive. Having been to Bonaire on several occasions the reefs in the shallows (especially in front of resorts) have taken a beating over the years. A dive over to Klein or to ome of hte other sites to the north or south may provide you with a more enjoyable view. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

I dove at Divi again on February 8th and had a great time. I double checked the tanks that were available and did not find any with corrosion problems or bad o-rings. My dive buddy rejected a regulator when he found corrosion under the hose reinforcements at the first stage. I used all of my own equipment.

The reef was nice and we had a great time. We actually had arrived in time to do a boat dive but since we hadn't planned on this we just did two shore dives. Divers who had been on the boats reported doing some excellent dives off Klein Bonaire that morning.

• 1 month later...

Did you arrange for the day use with this hotel ahead of time or just show up and ask? Can you also tell me how far away was the hotel and how long did it take you to walk the distance?

we were on Bonaire 11/29/06. We did not spend the day at Divi Flamingo however we walked through it on our way to Plaza Bonita. It looks like a nice place to spend the day but the beach area is very very small. So I would go there mostly for the snorkeling I suppose.

The beach at Plaza was nice! we paid a $20 day use fee (kids were free) and had use of the pool, beach and snorkeling was good.

We walked there only because we couldn't find a taxi and were told it was close. Weather was very hot. We took a taxi back ($2 pp). Unfortunately it was a mostly cloudy/rainy day so we didn't stay as long as we might have. Snorkeling was the best of any of the ports we visited.

dac

• 3 months later...
10X - did you book your scuba thru the ship or directly thru Divi? My husband wants to dive in Bonaire when we are there in January. Any info you can share would be most welcome!

We have a timeshare @ the Divi, and the shore diving alone is wonderfull. Been going there since 1990

Bob:cool:

Archived