long2cruise

Need Great Ideas of clever things to bring

I need some sugesstions on clever things to bring with me. I read somewhere to bring a shoe bag that hangs over the door to put in your sunglasses, tickets, chapstick, all those things you don't remember where you put them. Great Idea. Anyone else have really clever ideas? :rolleyes:

I just got off the 9 day Explorer on Sunday and I will share with you the best thing I ever brought, since you actually have mentioned it. It is the 22 CLEAR PLASTIC pocketed-over-the-door bag. I hung it over the outside of the bathroom door.I purchased it in Walmart. Make sure you get the clear plastic pockets so you can see and make sure they are slit at the top, and not the ones that are slit on both sides (don't forget they are made for shoes). They cost me $6.84 and actually my room steward said he had never seen one like that so I gave him ours at the end of the cruise and yesterday bought 3 more for our up coming cruises. In them I put......underwater cameras, digital camera, sunglasses, suntan lotions, batteries, scotch tape/scissors, spa appointments, excersions, coupon books etc. Each pocket was filled and our room was more organized and small things were easy to find.

Also bring lysol wipes to wipe down, knobs, handles, etc. Don't forget that people were living in that room just hours before you got there!!

Best thing I've ever packed is a stash of miniature candy bars. wrap our dollars tip around the bar when we order room service, hand them out to room stewards, waiters, assistant waiters and any other crew members I come across during our voyages.

It's the unexpected thank you when combined with some $$.

You would never believe the smiles and thank you's we get from employees. One crew member who delivered us coffee and danish in the morning on a ship said she remembered us from a prior cruise.

Been doing this for the past 4 or 5 cruises. Always amazed how many crew members look amazed when they receive a small candy bar from someone they've never met before.

Remember, these candies are in addition to the monetary tips we do on board.

Dianne

Dont forget a good air freshener for bathroom. Best thing you can bring!

Also Downy Wrinkle Release spray for making folded clothes nice and tidy.

Best thing I've ever packed is a stash of miniature candy bars. wrap our dollars tip around the bar when we order room service, hand them out to room stewards, waiters, assistant waiters and any other crew members I come across during our voyages.

I use hard candies or some that won't melt! Stash some in a baggie in pocket or purse and hand them out to staff etc at hotels and conventions as well. Again, they love that little perk. And the smile is worth the time spent.

It's the unexpected thank you when combined with some $$.

You would never believe the smiles and thank you's we get from employees. One crew member who delivered us coffee and danish in the morning on a ship said she remembered us from a prior cruise.

Been doing this for the past 4 or 5 cruises. Always amazed how many crew members look amazed when they receive a small candy bar from someone they've never met before.

Remember, these candies are in addition to the monetary tips we do on board.

Dianne

I am going to steal your awesome idea. Love it!!!

I gave the recommended $$ tips and more PLUS I got "souviners" from our hometown!!!!

Post cards, key chains, a picture of our town from the sky, ect.!!! Our steward came to me an hugged me with tears in his eyes!!! I also added a simple handwritten thank you on a note card and he said he loved it...that no one has ever done that for him and that he loved seeing my home as his was so far away and would be so long untill he went back!!! Now that was a nice feeling....he did so well and so much for us that week and all I did was write thank you and give him a picture!!!!! It still gives me goose bumps thinking of his warm genuine hug!!!

Just a thought that worked for me!!!

I use hard candies or some that won't melt! Stash some in a baggie in pocket or purse and hand them out to staff etc at hotels and conventions as well. Again, they love that little perk. And the smile is worth the time spent.

See you are from Marion, OH. DH was born in Marysville. I'm from Richwood. We were both born at Marion Hospital in 1947, long before it was known as Marion General Hospital.:D

I take hard candies as well as chocolate bars -- but we get the biggest smiles from the chocolate candy since the crew knows it's hard to transport it from home to ship.

I watch out for Hershey's special kisses prior to a cruise, i.e., Hershey's produces mint flavored chips around St. Pat's day, cherry flavored chips around Valentine's Day, etc.

Kit Kat bars seem to be the favorite of crew on all the ship's we sailed over the past few years.

Dianne

The best thing that I ever saw that someone brought (and I have to admit that I peeked down onto their balcony to see it) was that they had brought with them (obviously they had cruised many times before) a small line and clothespins. How sloppy and unorganized does the stateroom/suite get when there are wet clothes draped over the tub and shower? Definately something that I'll bring next cruise..They hung it very low on the balcony so it didn't obstruct the view or look sloppy!

I am going to steal your awesome idea. Love it!!!

No problem. You're not taking my idea but taking it to the next step.:)

When I pass out my candy I always tell them ``thank you'' in person and sometimes I'm out on deck around the pool with a chocolate candy ready for the first drink steward that comes my way.

Words can not describe the smiles we receive for the ``unexpected'' chocolate tip.

Word of warning, don't store the chocolate in your pocket aboard ship unless you know you will be delivering it within the next few minute. Been there, done that. Have the shorts to prove it.:D

Dianne

See you are from Marion, OH. DH was born in Marysville. I'm from Richwood. We were both born at Marion Hospital in 1947, long before it was known as Marion General Hospital.:D

I take hard candies as well as chocolate bars -- but we get the biggest smiles from the chocolate candy since the crew knows it's hard to transport it from home to ship.

I watch out for Hershey's special kisses prior to a cruise, i.e., Hershey's produces mint flavored chips around St. Pat's day, cherry flavored chips around Valentine's Day, etc.

Kit Kat bars seem to be the favorite of crew on all the ship's we sailed over the past few years.

Dianne

Both my parents are from Marion, & my mom and grandma still live there now. Small world!

ok since we are listing.... a few more......post-it notes/note pad for notes to family or room steward, a power strip (only one outlet in a room) and extension cord (if necessary). a first aid kit (the medic is $$$$$)

Both my parents are from Marion, & my mom and grandma still live there now. Small world!

Very small world. When DH & I grew up, Marion and Marysville were our world. Anything beyond those places we read about in newspapers or learned about on black & white TV.:D

Marion area is beautiful country. We live only about 25 minutes away now and enjoy going ``back home'' as often as possible.:cool:

Dianne

Since I have small boys and the room is always dark (except this time I have a balcony) but I still will use this. I always take a glade plug in with a nitelite it makes your room smell fresh and gives a little light when needed you can also get them with the extra outlets on them which we all need.

Also helpful is a small power strip if extra outlets is needed. We also love those pop up clothes hampers they fold pretty small and when needed they just pop up. Also those of us with dirty little boys know that washing of swimwear is almost always needed so bring detergent in little containers from home. You can use the laundry or handwash in room. I have more but I'll have to think on it:cool:

April

Mariner Nov 26th 2006

I love the idea of the chocolate and the souviener from home - great touch. I will add this to my list on the next trip in October.

We take Yankee Candle plug in for the room - smells cozy when you enter.

Clothes pin hanging clips for bathing suits. We hang this on the back of the chair on the balcony to dry to keep some of the mess out of the bathroom.

Extra trash bag for dirtys we keep in the bottom of the closet. When you pack they do not get comingled with the clean ones.

Neck lanyard with plastic pouch for seapass card. (Have also seen some punch a hole in the card and clip it to the lanyard or elastic arm band.)

Waterproof bag to hold camera, money, etc. when going to the beach. It hangs easily around the neck and saves the hassle of worrying if your stuff will get stolen. These can be had in the camping section of most sporting stores. Works great on some of the more extrenuous excursions.

Rain panchos, cheap and also avail. in sporting goods/camping. These worked out great on one excursion when it was raining. Cheap enough you can toss with one use.

Thermal coffee cup - you can fill up in Windjammer in the am and have hot coffee for the whole stroll around the deck. Works great later for a 'to go' cold beverage.

Tide spot pin and Spray & Wash stick. You can get out the small stain with the stick and pretreat your very dirties with the S&W so they are ready for the wash when you get home.

Dollar store sunglasses - many - cause you know you will leave a pair somewhere during the week.

I agree with the power outlet although we have never taken. We kept our phones plugged in and charged, video & dig camera batteries & the everloving travel curlers and walkie talkies.

Walkie Talkies are for keeping up with each other on board, but can be irritating if abused. They have come in handy on land for us too.

Underwater disposable camera and disposable Advantix camera

Sun visors & baseball hats since everyday aboard is not a good hair day and there is a lot of sun that you should keep off your face. Visor works better for the ladies since it doesnt give you a 'hat head' with your hairdoo and works to keep the sweat at bay.

You shouldnt need the bungie cord since the door sliders have a break you can apply by twisting the handle downward to lock it in place. I could see where this would be great to strap luggage to each other.

The best thing that I ever saw that someone brought (and I have to admit that I peeked down onto their balcony to see it) was that they had brought with them (obviously they had cruised many times before) a small line and clothespins. How sloppy and unorganized does the stateroom/suite get when there are wet clothes draped over the tub and shower? Definately something that I'll bring next cruise..They hung it very low on the balcony so it didn't obstruct the view or look sloppy!

We brought clothespins on our last cruise; pretty helpful.

My BF is really sensitive to the recycled air, so bad that he can't even breathe at night without wheezing and sneezing. I bought a small Ionic Breeze, the bathroom size. I plug it in and voila, instant fresh air. has no sinus problems whatsoever now. We never leave home without it!

I always take and use a small clothes line and pins, bought it in the fishing section at Walmart for $1.25, five cruises ago. ( My sister has taken it on her holidays three times also. !! ) It's in a small case that reels out. Best thing I have ever bought. ;)

I like to bring a small flashilight to keep on the night table for my "nightly bathroom trips". the room is smallish and crowded and keeps my trip from being a fall....:eek:

have fun

Target has had twisted elastic clotheslines in their $1 bins recently.......you hang these up, then, instead of using clothespins, you slip the corners of your clothing through the twists of the elastic cord.

I had seen these on a popular travel website and planned to order one, which was going to be about $15 with shipping........so glad I saw them at Target first!!

I hear also packing your bathing suit in your carryon and not in the luggage, so you can enjoy the lunch and pool until your luggage arrives. :cool:

One thing I do is keep a look out for specials on international calling cards I give these as gifts to my cabin steward and head waiter and assistant waiter . These people are very far from home and I hate to think that they spend their hard earned money just to call home I give it to them at the start of the cruise and hubby and I are well rewarded!!:D I also always take my own goodie bags of snacks I know that there is tons of stuff to eat but sometimes you just have to have a snickers bar!

now THAT is an idea I might steal. That's one of those things, you know, they sell international phone cards pretty cheap if you catch them @ the right time.... In my opinion it would be a small token of appreciation for these folks who really do work hard!!

I really like the phone card idea. It's perfect as a little thank-you for special service.

I take a Maglite and extra battery. It has a small box cutter and eyeglass repair kit attached, so I put it in my checked baggage.

My best one ever. I stopped at the dollar store and bought $20 worth of mini soccer balls, hair bobbles, and magic slates. We were stopped in a very poor place and with a little bit of body language, I asked the moms of some kids (who were NOT begging, BTW, but sitting nicely while their moms sold crafts) if I could give them to the kids. The kids were SO cute. One mom actually traded me a small shell bowl for some of the stuff, and I thought that was very dignified.

Viv

I gave the recommended $$ tips and more PLUS I got "souviners" from our hometown!!!!

Post cards, key chains, a picture of our town from the sky, ect.!!! Our steward came to me an hugged me with tears in his eyes!!! I also added a simple handwritten thank you on a note card and he said he loved it...that no one has ever done that for him and that he loved seeing my home as his was so far away and would be so long untill he went back!!! Now that was a nice feeling....he did so well and so much for us that week and all I did was write thank you and give him a picture!!!!! It still gives me goose bumps thinking of his warm genuine hug!!!

Just a thought that worked for me!!!

we cruised over christmas a couple years ago and I picked up some stuff at the dollar store, including a christmas stocking with iron-on letters to personalize it. on the ship we ironed the steward's name on and wrapped up each of the little toys and trinkets and treats and stuffed the stocking and left it on the bed christmas morning when we vacated the room. yes, I travelled with wrapping paper and tape.. rofl.. my whole family was on the cruise and it was christmas! people told me not to wrap my gifts before I flew. :)

she cried. she sat down in the room and wrote us a 3 page letter. she cried and hugged us in the hallway. she was so.. excited, that santa had found her on this ship so far from home and family, and touched that strangers had done that for her.. it was such a simple thing, too.. honestly I did it as much for myself as for her.. her reaction absolutely made my christmas. :)

one of the things that made the cruise on the other hand was bringing along a small pair of speakers to plug into the walkman so we could have music of our choosing in the cabin.

Don't forget the highliter to highlite your cruise compass on what you want to do that day.

Lexi

I agree! And for two people traveling together, it is helpful to bring two highlighters, in different colors. Each of you use a different color, for example, pink and yellow. The things you BOTH want to do will be orange. (or blue & yellow = green, or pink & blue = purple.) You get the idea.

Also helpful to bring:

• A battery operated clock. (Ship's power makes clocks run slow.)
  • A cheap plastic watch. (To bring on beach/water excursions; leave good watch on the ship.)
  • Shoe holder for the door. (I know it has already mentioned but I wanted to reiterate how useful it can be.)
  • Indigestion/anti-gas medication. (The Carnival Conquest, at least, did not stock any for sale. Other cruise ships/lines may.)
  • Hair conditioner. The ship offered only a combination shampoo/conditioner; not enough conditioner in those for me, and the only offered for sale on the ship were ultra pricey spa products. (This is on Carnival ships specifically).

And as I always say, always remember the very most important thing to bring: a positive attitude! :D

We're going on our first cruise in September, and I will definitely bring my Windy Fan! (I used to work for a company that makes them, and supplies them to nail salons.) It's about 6" in diameter and travels easily. It won't be a match for the Turbo AirMover I have at home, but at least I'll have a little bit of noise with which to sleep. ;)

Happy Cruisin!

:D PACKING LIST

Purse/Back Pack:

Travel Pack - Originals see below. Keep with you!

Small bills for Porter gratuity at pier ($2 per bag in NYC)

$2 bills for special “little” tips

Pens, notepad, deck of cards

Carry On Bag: (Keep with u at all times)

Travel Pak - Photocopies see below.

Toiletries – see below

Bathing Suits, cover-ups, flip-flops/water shoes, hat or sun visor,

Sunglasses, eyeglasses/contact lenses & solution (pack the case too!)

Dinner appropriate change of clothing, jewelry

Pajamas, slippers

Camera, film, storage cards, batteries, recharging cords, underwater camera

iPod/MP3 & accessories, hand held games & accessories

Lightweight jacket or wind breaker, rain gear, umbrella

TRAVEL PAK: (personal document kit)

ORIGINALS - Make two photocopied sets. First set kept in Ziploc in your Carry-on-Bag. Second set kept at home with someone):

Cruise Documents

Forms of identification: Passport(s), Visa, Birth Certificate & Drivers License

Health Cards/Forms, Prescriptions

Travel Itinerary, Airline Tickets, Hotel Confirmations, Shore Excursion Confirmations, Travel Insurance/Baggage Loss Documents, Picture of all Luggage,

Travelers Checks & receipts, Credit Card & Numbers

Packing List

TOILETRIES

Prescription Medicines

First Aid Kit: Tylenol, Advil, Sea bands, sea sickness pills, Benadryl, throat lozenges, Antacids, Imodium, Waterproof Band-Aids, Butterfly Closures, Antiseptic Cream, Antibiotic Ointment, Moleskin.

Toothbrush, toothpaste & dental floss, mouthwash,

Shampoo & conditioner, Comb/brush, hair styling products, hair accessories

Soap, Moisturizers, Deodorant,

Sun screen, sunburn aids, Small insect repellent wipes,

Make-Up, Cologne & perfume,

Q-tips; cotton balls, baby powder, nail polish & remover wipes.

Clothes Pins, Plastic cable ties, duct tape, Clorox clean up wipes.

“CHECKED LUGGAGE ITEMS”

Razor, blades & hair removal products

Nail file; nail clippers; tweezers; small scissors

Beach bag, travel mugs with lids, candy & gum

Snorkel Equip.

Large & small Ziploc bags

Clothes pins, Small laundry detergent, collapsible mesh hamper, sewing kit

Binoculars, pocket-sized solar calculator,

Flash light/night light, small alarm clock, power strip/extension cord

Addresses & stamps, post-its; highlighters, envelope for receipts

Garment Bag (Use tissue paper in between delicates to reduce creasing)

Suitcase( Half of Matching Sets)

Suitcase (Other Half - Matching Sets)

My addition to this list of must-haves:

Assorted quart and gallon size ziploc bags. Great for packing a room-service food and taking offshore. Recently, while on a shore excursion, the entire tour stopped at a local establishment that served home-cooked beans, rice and chicken. While I'm sure the local food was good, everyone was JEALOUS when I pulled out our sandwiches, chips, and chocolate chip cookies, and fed our family a picnic meal. (NOTE--we have two VERY PICKY eaters in our family---aged 3 and 5, so you can imagine that it would have been bearly impossible to feed them "strange" local island food!) We also usually take cereal from the breakfast buffet and put it in the small ziplock bags so the kids can have something to munch in while in the cabin.

2 quart sized drink bottles--usually available in the Target dollar bin. Great for filling with water or lemonade and taking ashore.

Crystal Light On-The-Go drink mix--great for adding to the water in the above containers. WONDERFUL for those picky kids, also mentioned above!

CeleBrat

Ear plugs in case you have a noisy room.

I am leaving today on the Crown and my room is right next to the elevator, above the teen disco and below one of the restaurants.

That is what a guarantee can get you sometimes!!! LOL :D

1. If you don’t like what is offered on the main menu, you can ask the waiter for either a steak or grilled chicken.
  2. Any pasta item on the main menu CAN be ordered as an appetizer. Just ask.
  3. Post cards, foreign postage stamps and playing cards are available at the pursars desk.
  4. Get a FREE lanyard at the Casino. Pursars desk will punch a whole in it for you.
  5. 24 hour pizza place also serves Calzones and Caesar salads. If you want a special topping and they have it they will make you that pizza.
  6. Go to tea-time they have different snacks and its a nice place to relax
  7. Ask the steward if you forget something ie toothpaste...they often have samples
  8. Bring baggies of assorted sizes. For saving snacks for excursions and wet clothes.
  9. Take the tour of the galley
  10. They have an early and late night seating as well as captains party...take advantage of both for double free drinks.
  11. Bring on own bottles of water, and soda and save $$$
  12. Bring a reusable cup with lid...less trips to get a drink
  13. Ask for your drink in a plastic cup (not the fancy one ) saves $$$
  14. You may be able to eat free lunch at the places they charge for dinner
  15. Orange juice is available at the same place all day they just remove the label
  16. You may get a free facial if you call the spa and ask to be a volunteer.
  17. Tie a bright ribbon/scarf to your luggage for easy spotting. Also can work on cabin door
  18. When the regular hot tub is too full, use the spa one.
  19. Use of the sauna/steam room is free
  20. Use the spa shower if multiple people need to shower at same time
  21. Ask for children’s dessert menu (banana splits)
  22. Bring Duct tape
  23. Bring a highlighter
  24. Bring post it notes
  25. Sit close at the port talks sometimes they toss out free stuff
  26. You can ask for extra pillow chocolates
  27. bring an extension cord/power strip
  28. Early and extra tips for stewards = more perks for you
  29. You can order free drinks from the bar in the room at Captains dinner as opposed to those on the tray.
  30. Bring travel hooks to hang stuff in your room
  31. Bring a few paper funnels to make filling the water bottle easier.
  32. Bring towels from home to avoid fearing losing one
  33. Take a hand towel with you to the beach it will help remove sand and is handy for lots of other things too
  34. Baby powder helps remove sand
  35. Use a magnet to trick the balcony door into thinking its closed to keep the air on
  36. Most ships have a secret door...find it
  37. you can also print cards to take with you on the layout of the ship...simply use a word document...format in normal 8pt bold: Times New Roman: 8pt and divide into for equal columns.
  38. Self disembarkation is FASTER
  39. It is possible to ‘smuggle’ alcohol on board
  40. Make sure to stock up on "snacks" before debarkation. The wait can be pretty long and everything is closed during this time. Except for the coffee shop which takes cash
  41. Cards become demagnetized don’t use your credit card for the room safe
  42. If the safe will not open call the desk they will send someone to open it
  43. If you get sea sick you can go to the Pursers desk and ask for pills. They are free there
  44. use your telephone for leaving each other messages in the cabins
  45. Did you know you can call Carnival's Bon voyage department and pre-order alcohol to be delivered to your cabin? You can order bottles of hard liquor so that you can make your own drinks. You can't order online. You must call to set this up. It is a little pricey but worth it and cheaper than buying by the drink.
  46. Do walk the entire ship on your first day
  47. You can also ask your Room Steward for the book that is in your cabin
  48. Bring a night light/ alarm clock
  49. bring water shoes
  50. The ship uses two types of toilet paper. Both are made by the same company. The sandpaper they call "envision" you will not want to subject your bottom to for 8 days. Ask your room steward to make sure that your stateroom is stocked with the "preference" paper instead.
  51. Bring a sweater the dining room can be cold

My mom is going on the 12-day Liberty Med Cruise - and I just went to the dollar store and hooked her up:

• Popup laundry hamper
  • Duct Tape
  • colorful luggage wrap around clip
  • A hard-cover journal (and two more for her friends)
  • Fanny Packs (and two more for her friends)
  • 15 Clothes pins to hold down the shower curtain (and enough for her friends)
  • Ziploc bags
  • Antiseptic wipes (to wipe cabin down)
  • flip flops for the pool/shower/spa
  • disposable camera
  • night light
  • first aid kit

I am so happy for her! She is going to have the time of her life!!! Now, I just have to get my brother to help her print out her funpass! I wish she would invest her time at Cruise-Critic, but she is always on the go and she's not addicted to CC like we are!! :D

we cruised over christmas a couple years ago and I picked up some stuff at the dollar store, including a christmas stocking with iron-on letters to personalize it. on the ship we ironed the steward's name on and wrapped up each of the little toys and trinkets and treats and stuffed the stocking and left it on the bed christmas morning when we vacated the room. yes, I travelled with wrapping paper and tape.. rofl.. my whole family was on the cruise and it was christmas! people told me not to wrap my gifts before I flew. :)

she cried. she sat down in the room and wrote us a 3 page letter. she cried and hugged us in the hallway. she was so.. excited, that santa had found her on this ship so far from home and family, and touched that strangers had done that for her.. it was such a simple thing, too.. honestly I did it as much for myself as for her.. her reaction absolutely made my christmas. :)

one of the things that made the cruise on the other hand was bringing along a small pair of speakers to plug into the walkman so we could have music of our choosing in the cabin.

That is the absolute sweetest thing that I have read on this board! It made me misty....

secret door? to what?

Usually to a deck at the front of the ship that is open to passengers, but not well known.

If you are going on a specific ship, just ask on the boards here, and someone is likely to know about your specific ship.

Remember, if it doesn't say "Crew Only" you can go there.

for the past few cruises I have packed all of my important documents (passports, tickets, funpass, boarding papers...etc)in a bright colored pencil bag. I bought one that has the gromets on it (to clam in a binder) that way I can clip it to the inside of my bag or around the strap so that my stuff is extra safe plus you can find it easily.

its amazing how organized I can be on vacation....dont know what happend at home..I guess that means that I need to stay on vacation:D

LOVE THE LITTLE CANDY BAR IDEA....How thoughtful you must be!