Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stillfrantic

Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend

S7S,

I just knew you would be a jewelry nut !! No wonder my GF likes you *LOL* It takes one to know one. :)

I will be honest , We have looked through MANY Jewelry stores throughout the Caribbean and never thought the prices were that big a savings then we get at home with this one jeweler my family has been doing business for years. We go to a very reputable family owned (not one of the mall chains) jeweler and have always gotten a good deal. Plus the fact that in the event there is a problem they are right there in your home town.

I must say I did get a very good deal on a watch in Cozumel. I have checked the prices of it around here and in NYC and have seen it for up to $600.00 more than what I paid. But like you said buying diamonds and gemstones can be such a gamble.

I love the jewerly thing too;) I do own a Canary Diamond ring that I inhertited from my grandmother, I wear it every once in awhile and do get a lot of compliments on it. I have just started with Blue Diamonds, hubby bought me a pair of dolphin earrings and the blue diamonds make the eyes on the dolphin and the tail has several little blue diamonds. They are beautiful and now I am trying to find out all the information that I can about them and maybe I will be able to find some on my next trip.

I also bought my first Hildago (sp?) ring in Grand Cayman last year and plan to add the 2 bands on this next visit.

Debi

DebiD

That sounds very pretty.

My GF loves dolphins and would probably love that.

GF and I are getting engaged and I am doing the smart thing and letting her choose her ring . On account I KNOW I would never make the perfect selection, and it is something she will (HOPEFULLY) be wearing everyday for the rest of her life, so I want it to be something she really loves.

We have such amazingly different tastes in things , that was proven when we went shopping for furniture :)

Vicar....You are a wise man. :) Congratulations on your upcoming engagement. You are sure to have great fun selecting the perfect ring together. Wishing you lots of happiness.

Your GF and I sound more and more alike. One of my favorite (tough not most costly) pieces of jewelry my DH has bought me while on vacation is a 14k slide I wear on my gold omega necklace. It is five frolicking dolphins and it always elicits numerous compliments when I wear it.

S7S,

Thank you :)

She does like her jewelry and she has my mother and her mother , the jewelry queens ,to egg her on *LOL*

Your dolphin necklace sounds very pretty. She would love that too.

I'll tell you, the guy who made up that guideline about an engagement ring should cost two months salary was "stoned" and I don't mean gemstones *LOL*

I make a pretty good living , but two months salary doesn't even cut it.

You woman sure cost a lot ........but SIGH....you're worth it :)

Of course we are worth it :) What would life be like without your lady to share it?

But.....guess what. ;) We ladies feel the same. :) What would life be like without peacocks? (well, I correct that to say...speaking only for myself.)

What would life be without our ladies to share it?

CHEAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *LOL* but I agree, not as much fun.:)

I can assure you we both appreciate eachother. We both had "nightmare" first marriages to recall when we forget how good we have it now.

Vicar - Congrats on you future plans....This is my and hubby second marriage and it has been 22 years. We started off small (diamond ring) and now I have a solitare just over 2 carats along with wedding band it has grown to 5 carats total weight. Enough is enough though but it has taken a long time to build that up and I love it.

It sure is costly, but we girls are well worth it:p

Debi

DebiD,

Thank You :)

You girls are worth it!!!! Hmmmm you and S7S must be working for a jeweler *LOL* Just teaseing.. Yes you girls really are worth it.

Yea the ring plus the wedding band that goes with it is going to be like 3 carats altogether. She deserves it :)

Congrats to you and hubby on so many happy years , wishing you many more :)

They keep telling me its better the second time around :) :)

It couldn't be any worse *LOL*

Here are a few shopping tips.

1. Research jewelry prices and qualities prior to your trip. There is a LOT of information available on the internet. An informed consumer always comes outahead.

2. Practice haggling prices with your family at home. Dont be shy. You aren't taking advantage or being rude. It's the way it's done here.

3. Here is a tip that REALLY works. Wear a t shirt from cruise-critic, or a ***** t shirt, or other travel boards etc. During the sale let the shop owner know you are vocal on the internet about travel and jewelry. Believe me, when I have a person contact me with a problem with a jewelry purchase and it was discussed online, I print out the info and bring it into the store managers office with me. It does carry weight.

4. Make all purchases with a credit card. You can get a discount by paying in cash but if there is a problem and you need a refund it can be a hastle. Our company works closely with the credit card companies prividing the documentation needed. If it's case of buyers remorse theres not a lot that can be done. If the item isn't what was promised or there is a problem with workmanship we can be helpful. In general we just want to be fair all around to everyone.

5. Ask what the return policy is of the company. The policy should be clearly printed out on the reciept. Remember that there is no law regarding returns, but a company that believes in it's merchandise will be confident and offer a return policy.

6. NEVER accept the stores appraisal of the item. They may be biased. Insist on documentation from an Independent Appraiser. In St Thomas our office does Independent Appraisals. ***** has a complete gemological lab staffed with GIA graduate Gemolists and Appraisers. We do not buy or sell jewelry of any kind. By getting your item checked prior to leaving the island all problems can be dealt with then and there. If your diamond comes with a report from one of the major labs our gemogist can check that the documentation matches the diamnd being purchased. Many shoppers will make the final sale contingent on evaluation of our Gemologist/Appraiser. Any jeweler who states this is NOT neccesary should cause a red flag to go off.

7. If you have problems in the islands contact the store first. Most of the time it is simple to resolve the problem. A merchant that values customers wants to keep you happy. Most pride themselves on repeat customers year after year. People won't come back if they bought 2nd rate merchandise or were treated badly.

8. If after contacting the store you still have problems

A. get all of your documentation togehter. B. Contact your crerdit card company. C. Contact the ***** office. D. Send letters to your cruiseline.

9. On a positive note: If you purchased an item, were happy and did well LET PEOPLE KNOW! Over the years we've done documentation for thousands of people who shopped well and got incredible deals. The number of problems was generally low. In most cases the problem was easily resolved with communication and documentation.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org