Juneau flyfishing

jgooden1

My husband and I are signed up for one of the flyfishing tours in Juneau. He is concerned about equipment. Will they supply it or should he bring his own? Can they accomodate left handed fisherman?

Does anyone have any experience with these tours? What are your thoughts opinions?

Thanks!

Justina

Justina: I would bring your own equipment. You are more familiar with it and if your sweetie is anything like mine, he is very particular. We have a friend that works as a guide in Alaska and their rods get abused regularly. Be safe and pack your own, there is not too much to it.

Enjoy, its beautiful and you will want to go back..... :)

Fishing in Alaska can be a little bit different because of the size and types of fish. A king salmon could destroy, say, an ultralight spinning rod/reel. I think that if your husband has not checked it probably would be advisable to see if his equipment can withstand the strain. Can you not get this information from the people you are booked with?

There is a stream almost in downtown Junea called Salmon Creek and at times it is so packed with salmon going upstream to spawn you can just about walk across them. Absolutely fascinating. Also a salmon "hatchery" where the salmon come in from the sea and "climb the ladders" thinking they are going upsteam to spawn.

There are other fish in the area such as Dolly Varden, trout, etc. that could be what they are going for.

Whether he catches anything or not, he will love it.

Those rods are so small and compact I thought it might be good to go ahead and bring it because he IS picky! He can ask the guide if it is appropriate for what we will be fishing for and if not he can just use thiers.

The description you gave sounds wonderful and I really think he is gonna love it! This is his first cruise and I think I will have spoiled him!!

I hope you don't think I am intruding on your Alaska trip but I like to go to the following link just about every week to see the fishing report. If you go there, please click on the Southeastern Area and there are tons of stuff to look at.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Region2/html/r2weekly.stm

PS: I said spinning equipment in my original post..meant fly fishing.

That is great! My husband is inundated at work right now and this cruise is a celebration of the end of a long project. I'm sure he would love to have a look at that site. It will give him something more to look forward to!

Regarding the knee surgery..I had both knees replaced in Jan 2003 at age 64 and life did not fall apart.

I have fished trout streams here in Georgia and it can be quite arduous at times. I fished in Bird (Byrd) Creek just below Anchorage a few years back and this stream is pure mud due to the silt wash off the glaciers. You can get stuck in that stuff and people have been known to drown when the tide comes in. However, I would assume, in your case you will be in clear steams and it would probably be fairly easy to navigate, depending on how strong the knee is.

If you booked this thru HAL, it should indicate how strenuous the trip will be.

If not, I would get advisement from the agency you booked this trip.

Can I go along and carry your rods/reels?

HAL gives the trip 2 little people for activity so I am working double time in PT!!

We are on the Amsterdam August 2nd. I'm sure my husband wouldn't mind having an experienced fisherman along so, if you have some free time, yes....you can help carry the load!

You may also want to consider booking directly with a vender in Juneau. That way you can have your questions answered before you go. You also will get much more personal attention and not be over crowded- ship tours can pack them in. Plenty of excellent guides. http://www.traveljuneau.com

• 2 years later...

In May I took the Flightseeing Fly Fishing in Juneau, I loved it, going again in Aug. The equipment they set me up with was a sage rod, Ross reel, Cabela boot type waders, (so you need to layer under them). I wore two pair of socks. Bring extra for after fishing. We flew into a tidal estuary. Bald eagles were catching fish 50' away. Enormous crabs at my feet, it was awesome!! We fished for Dolly Varden. This time going for salmon. Hope this helps you.

Archived