Juneau and Ketchikan restaurants

BearJT

Bear,

We always try to eat local and sample local brews. Don't know if you are a beer drinker or not, but we really like good food too. In Juneau, we ate at the Hangar. It is very convenient to the pier, right on the water. You can watch seaplanes take off and land. The menu was excellent, good variety and well executed. All 4 of us ate different dishes but enjoyed them. They also have a large selection of beer on tap. In Ketchikan, we have enjoyed eating at Steamers. It is near the dock, but upstairs at the corner of the building. It is seafood and beef mostly. The service was good and the food was wonderful. Another great local, but maybe tourist?, place. We are going back next cruise. Hope this helps!

While in Juneau last month, we walked around after the tram to Mt. Roberts which was great to see views from that high up looking down at your ship. We ate at a tiny little italian place on the main street because by that time we were starving, and didn't want to take the time to go back to the ship to eat. On the way back, however, we decided to go in and buy some gifts from the Red Dog Saloon (shirts,coasters). We went in to use their restrooms and WOW!!! What a great time everyone in there was having. We wished we had eaten there. This is the place to go if you want to see some entertainment while eating in an old fashion saloon with the "ladies" serving in skimpy outfits and people yelling nasties to the "ladies". The whole floor is covered in sawdust and peanut shells. If you are looking for a more reserved place to go, sorry. This is the only one I can comment on. Have a great time!!!

Last August we cruised the Inside Passage on the Sun Princess which made a stop in Juneau. We have friends who have lived there for several years and they didn't think very highly of any of the local restaurants.

Bear we were in Alaska in June and we ate at Steamers in Ketchikan. As others said it is upstairs on the corner and you have great views of the waters. It is close to the docks. I had the steamed crab and soup. They bring the crab out to you in a huge glass usually used for margaritas. It was excellent. Also sampled the crab cakes, hamburgers and seafood pasta dish. They were all excellent. We ate at Red Dog in Juneau. Pretty loud place but it was alot of fun. Food was OK there. Have a good trip.

When we were in Ketchikan a couple weeks ago we ate at a place called The New York Hotel. It is just off of Creek Street. The food was pretty good and the bar was interesting....very old. In fact, the waitress told us that it is the oldest bar in continuous existence in Alaska....if I understood her correctly.

I found a website for them here:

http://www.thenewyorkhotel.com/

There are probably lots of other places to eat there, but I didn't see them, and we just wanted a quick sandwich before heading back to the ship.

I've heard about a place in Juneau where they make their own beer, and it's supposed to be good beer. (Think this was on the Travel Channel.) Does anyone know the name/address of this place? Is the food as good as the beer is purported to be?

I've heard about a place in Juneau where they make their own beer, and it's supposed to be good beer. (Think this was on the Travel Channel.) Does anyone know the name/address of this place? Is the food as good as the beer is purported to be?

Alaskan Brewing Company

5429 Shaune Dr., Juneau, Alaska 99801-9540

I have not been there, so I can't comment on their food or their beer, but they have a nice website here:

http://www.alaskanbeer.com/index.html

Are you perhaps thinking of the Alaskan Brewing Company? It is at 5429 Shaune Drive in Juneau. It is located in a warehouse area off of Anka Drive. The buses can take you there.

If this is not the place you saw on the Travel Channel, you should visit them anyway. The tour is free and you can sample 5 kinds of beer. The Summer Ale is fantastic!

We're looking for places to have lunch before we reboard the ship.

We'd like good local places, not national chains please. Adults, no kids.

Thanks,

When I was in Ketchikan, I asked my tour guide where the locals eat. He recommended to me a little place called Burger Queen. It is on the main street and within walking distance of the ships. They have great halibut filets. Even the tour books such as Frommer's recommend this place.

In Juneau, you'd enjoy the Red Dog Saloon, but at lunch time it is busy. Try the Nunivak (reindeer sausage) or the one of their burgers. Most of the sandwiches are $9.50.

Archived